PDA

View Full Version : Is forgeworld stuff toxic?

Mschaff
08-02-2013, 19:45
Hi, I just bought my first models from forgeworld (Jet bikes and Cataphractii terminators) and i have heard from poeple that it is toxic, is that true? and if so how do i work with it? Thanks

Mini77
08-02-2013, 19:50
Most resin is inert once it has hardened. The hazard is from the dust caused by sanding and cutting. If you're going to be doing a lot of cutting or sawing use a respirator mask (as you really should when working with any dust).

Vaktathi
08-02-2013, 19:51
If you do a ton of sawing on it (releasing a lot of particulate matter) and breathe it in for long periods of time over many weeks/months/years, yes. Otherwise, not so much.

If you are worried about it, wear a simple surgery mask, the kind they sell in 10 packs for $2, when assembling the models, and you'll be fine.

Mschaff
08-02-2013, 19:55
should i wash the models off before working on them?

Mini77
08-02-2013, 19:57
should i wash the models off before working on them?

Absolutely. Warm soapy water and an old toothbrush works well.

wyvirn
08-02-2013, 19:58
Yes, but that's really just to get the oil they use to remove it from the mold off.

Mschaff
08-02-2013, 19:59
So if im just clipping pieces off i should be fine?

Mit Gas
08-02-2013, 19:59
Depending on how badass you are (or how cold it is in your region right now), you might want to saw them outside. That way no dust can obviously settle in your flat or room.

Vaktathi
08-02-2013, 20:01
So if im just clipping pieces off i should be fine?Yeah, just wash it to get the release agent off and any remaining dust/byproducts, and unless you're doing a lot of sanding or sawing (which, some models may require unfortunately if they're larger pieces like Titans or big tanks), you should be fine without needing to take any precautions you wouldn't ordinarily take.

Mschaff
08-02-2013, 20:02
yeah i just have some termies and jet bikes and wasnt planning on sanding/sawing just clipping off stuff.

Vaktathi
08-02-2013, 20:29
yeah you should be fine.

carlisimo
08-02-2013, 22:21
Yeah, most anything you do with a knife is okay. It’s the really fine dust from sanding or sawing that’s a problem. Sanding under running water solves a large part of the problem.

I don’t think a normal dust mask actually works… it only catches the larger, less dangerous particles, and they usually have massive leaks around the sides (especially around the nose). Go to a hardware store and let them know you’re sanding resin. They should be able to help you. The dust isn’t carcinogenic, but it’s too small to expel and builds up over time.

chromedog
09-02-2013, 04:31
Wouldn't recommend clipping resin pieces off the sprues. Resin is much more brittle than plastic and has a tendency to shatter NOT along the lines you want.
You run the risk of damaging any part you wish to remove. A fine toothed saw blade is your best bet and then a light sanding to remove the remainder of material.

Keep a spray bottle of water nearby to keep the dust down, too.

Kevlar
09-02-2013, 04:42
Tons of my old stuff is lead. I learned a long time ago not to chew on them.

Mewy
09-02-2013, 05:11
Keep a spray bottle of water nearby to keep the dust down, too.

That's a good idea actually. It's how metal is sawn in factories didn't think of applying that logic to resin.

Reasonable Commissar
09-02-2013, 08:32
Ive clipped tons of FW and not had any problems with it or died yet. For sawing and sanding though Id recommend a mask but general clipping should be fine.

Surgency
09-02-2013, 14:28
As long as you're cautious about where to clip. If you clip about about half a cm from the model then use a hobby knife to slowly (and carefully) shave the flashing off, you should have no problems at all.

TheDungen
10-02-2013, 10:26
don't eat it and don't breathe it in (never breathe in particles of any kind), oh and don't set fire to it and breathe in the fumes and you should be all right.

wet sanding may actually be a good idea I haven't tried it for resin miniatures, but wet sanding usually gives a smoother finish that regular sanding (with the same grain, or maybe it allows you to sand with a finer grain I cant remember) and it will keep the dust away, no need for running water though just have a half filled bowl in you lap that you submerge both mini and paper in every now and then. oh and there is specific wet sanding sandpaper that you should probably use.