PDA

View Full Version : VC 2400 - Back to the game!

MrMiscast
09-02-2013, 16:09
Hey guys. I haven`t played fantasy for about a bit over a year. Recently moved to another country where I don`t know a soul but as luck would have it I quickly found a gaming club. Having tired of my usual High Elves I wanted something new and bought a used VC army. Trying to figure out a list to play with but IŽm feeling rusty as ******. I have most things to VC that isn`t a Terrorgheist or Crypt Horrors/Vargheists.

Vampire Lord: 573pts
Lvl 4, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Nightmare, Quickblood, Red Fury, Talisman of Perservation, Ogre Blade, Other Tricksters Shard

Wight King: 169pts
Bsb, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Nightmare, Dragonhelm, Dawnstone

Necromancer: 90pts
Scroll

40 Ghouls: 400pts

40 Ghouls: 400pts

21 Zombies: 63pts

5 Dire Wolves: 40pts

2 Fell Bats: 32pts

10 Black Knights: 340pts
Full Command, Barding, Lances, Banner of the Barrows

Mortis Engine: 220pts

Total: 2399pts

There are so many things I would like to get into it tough. Spirit Hosts, Hexwraiths, a Vargulf, an extra necromancer. Would love some feedback on how to improve. Thanks in advance.

Bigman
09-02-2013, 18:38
2 units of 40 ghouls is tough to face, but some may say its better to have just 1 unit. The other 400 points is where you could mix and match. Maybe expand to 2 x 40 zombies (including the unit of 21 in that) and us the rest to add in what you like (crypt horrors/necro's/vargheists)

Kayosiv
10-02-2013, 08:37
First off, a hard and fast rule about Vampire Counts core. Don't take very much over minimum, it is never worth it. You're spending almost 1000 points on core, that is crazyness. Ghouls are a fine unit but there's 2 things they cannot do, and that is beat special units in other armies or beat anything with decent armor. Because ghouls can't take banners and musicians, it is very difficult for them to beat even small cavalry units. So either way, ghouls are good, but you don't need 2 hordes, just 1. Ghouls perform some roles great, and others terribly, so you don't want too many of them. I'd just buffer your zombies/ghoul unit or get 1 more unit of wolves to fill the few core points left over.

Buy your zombies command and your ghouls a champion. Winning by 1 with zombies because of their musician/banner, however slim a chance it is, is certainly worth those 6 measly points. You can spare them. Ghoul champs are good because you can resurrect champions, so they can perform their duties multiple times a game.

Get that necromancer to level 2. Not only will it give you more spells, but bigger invocations. If you're going to keep a necromancer at level 1, you might as well of just bought a vampire.

I don't like the way your black knight unit and characters are set up. Since it is your only cavalry unit, and both your Lord and BSB are mounted, they're going in there. That's over 1,000 points in a single unit. Of course your opponent is going to shoot and magic the heck out of that unit. It's the only unit that matters! You don't have good target saturation. The mortis engine is a threat, but everything else is either a chump in combat, or very slow. Your ghouls won't be marching anywhere with your lord zipping around in his super fast knight unit, and if you keep him back with the troops so they can march, he might as well of been on foot.

The mortis engine compliments your large blocks of infantry very well, I like it. Consider a blasphemous tomb to make that necromancer's spells really hard to stop. not necessary though.

I think you should shave off about 300 points from your core. you can use those points to buy another scary unit. I think I would prever either a second black knight unit or a unit of blood knights so you can separate your characters. Your army is very all eggs in one basket at the moment.

If you don't want to do that, consider putting the vampire on foot with a unit of grave guard.

Also possible is for you to get 2 varghulfs so you can get some target saturation to take the heat off your Lord's black knight unit.

MrMiscast
10-02-2013, 13:56
Rewrote the list a bit. Less core seems like a good idea. I sometimes have a problem with these things as I like to be symethric. My problem is I have about 100 skellies but only 60 zombies so I need more of those in the future. Tooled down the Vamp Lord a bit and tried to add in some more threats. I`ll still have both mounted characters with the Black Knights But I feel there might be some more dangerous things on the table now.

Vampire Lord: 420pts
Lvl 1, Heavy Armour, Barded Nightmare, Quickblood, Red Fury, Talisman of Perservation, Ogre Blade, Charmed Shield

Master Necromancer: 165pts
Lvl 3

Wight King: 180pts
Bsb, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Nightmare, Sword of Antiheroes, Enchanted Shield, Other Tricksters Shard,

Lvl 1, Scroll

30 Ghouls: 310pts
Ghast

19 Skeletons: 125pts
FC

40 Zombies: 130pts
Musician Standard Bearer

10 Black Knights: 290pts
Full Command, Barding, Lances

Hexwraiths: 150pts

Mortis Engine: 220pts

Vargulf: 175pts

Not sure if 30 Ghouls are enough tough. Would like skellies instead of zombies and stick with zombies as the necrobunker but htere ya go. Could also make the Master Necro the General so that the Lord can swoop away where he pleases. Thoughts?

Lordcypress
10-02-2013, 14:48
I personally like to try and field 40+ Ghouls in horde formation. The more the better. In 8th edition you really can't count on having a good magic phase from one phase to the next. Keeping up your raising spells can be challenging at times.

MrMiscast
11-02-2013, 22:06
I changed it up a bit. I removed the Hexwraiths for 10 more Ghouls and then I swaped around the zombies and skellies so that my core`s looks like this:

40 Ghouls: 410pts
Ghast

40 Skeletons: 245pts
FC, Banner of Swiftness

20 Zombies: 60pts

Might drop the banner of swiftness for something else. Perhaps for a scroll of shielding to go on the vamp lord. Overall I`m not so sure about the Ghouls anymore. Might drop them in a future list to try out something else. Unless anything else comes to mind I`ll try out this list this wednesday and see how it feels. Other critiques and comments are welcome.

MooseGreen
16-02-2013, 22:40
Kayosiv made a good point about vampire core, in my experience going over the minimum is a waste. I also have to advise against using skeletons and ghouls in horde formation. Its easy for your opponent to multi-charge hordes and you may be surprised how fast 40 ghouls evaporates. I like ghouls but find they work best with a babysitter (character). I run 1 unit of 23 with a lvl 1 vamp using lore of beasts. High casting cost, but S4 T5 ghouls are great fun.

MrMiscast
17-02-2013, 17:44
I used the ghouls in horde but not the skeletons or zombies. Cool idea with the beast-vampire. Have got to try that out sometime. Played my first 2 games with VC this week. The list worked out alright and I slaughtered some shooty DE with a dragon and got a minor win against a herohammer WoC army. Wasn`t very impressed with the ghouls tbh. They almost died to DE crossbowmen until the Varghulf helped them and then they died to tzeentch warriors (I knew they wouldnŽt win that one but had already diverted them with bats and wolves). So I will swap them out and try something else instead. Also dropping the Mortis Engine since I don`t think he fits into the list very well (and he also died in round 2 and round 3 in the games). Next week Im planning the list a bit different.

Vampire Lord: 425pts
Lvl 1, Heavy Armour, Barded Nightmare, Quickblood, Red Fury, Talisman of Perservation, Ogre Blade, Charmed Shield, Ironcurse Icon

Master Necromancer: 165pts
Lvl 3

Wight King: 180pts
Bsb, Heavy Armour, Shield, Barded Nightmare, Sword of Antiheroes, Enchanted Shield, Other Tricksters Shard,

Lvl 1, Book of Arkhan

Caern Wraith: 60pts

Caern Wraith: 60pts

Tomb Banshee: 95pts

40 Skeletons: 245pts
FC, Banner of Swiftness

23 Skeletons: 145pts
FC

40 Zombies: 130pts
Musician, Standard

10 Black Knights: 290pts
Full Command, Barding, Lances

Vargulf: 175pts

Black Coach: 195pts

The ethereals will go with the big block of skellies. Wanted a vamp there as well with dark majesty but points were tight. The Black Coach is just there so I can try it out. Figured another threat would be better than the extra vamp. I know IŽll be facing dwarfs next week so I gave the lvl 1 necro book of arkhan instead of his usual scroll. Probably shouldnŽt run the black knights against dwarves but I signed up for a tournament and IŽm pretty sold on the unit as a whole so I figured I need the practise against some cannons anyway. c&C appreciated.