PDA

View Full Version : Andy Chambers Harlequin novel

Palvinore
11-02-2013, 09:26
http://thefoundingfields.com/2013/01/cover-reveal-masque-vyle-andy-chambers/

Covert art accidentally revealed.

shadowhawk2008
11-02-2013, 09:46
Yep, we broke the news a while back. It went on sale 1-2 days after that went up.

But it's not up on the site yet. So I'm guessing it's going to be a general release in the second half of the year, July onwards.

Xisor
11-02-2013, 12:10
It's a novella. My guess: It might be announced early March for purchase in April and dispatch in May, akin to Mephiston.

Jokaero!
11-02-2013, 14:43
If you look at the picture in the link provided then I think we can expect it to be announced this coming Friday.

http://www.thedarkcity.net/t5488-dark-eldar-ebooks-released-today

Istlod
11-02-2013, 15:22
Wait, Andy Chambers still works for GW?

Jokaero!
11-02-2013, 15:36
Since leaving GW he has penned numerous books for The Black Library. He wrote Survival Instinct in 2005 before returning again to do Path of the Renegade (2012), Path of the Incubus (2013) and the final novel Path of the Archon (2014) in the trilogy. As tie ins he has done three short stories: Midnight on the Street of Knives (2011), Treasures of Biel-Tanigh (2011) and Bellathonis and the Shadow King (2012). And of course Masque of Vyle.

Xisor
11-02-2013, 15:58
Let's not forget his Tau short story: The Arkunasha War. I happened to thoroughly enjoy it!

Also, great spot, Jokaero! :)

Old School
12-02-2013, 09:42
OH WOW! Harlequins! The Holy Grail for me. He'd better not screw this up, or there'll be some nerd rage coming from me.

That cover art sucks balls though.

Sai-Lauren
12-02-2013, 15:57
Since leaving GW he has penned numerous books for The Black Library. He wrote Survival Instinct in 2005 before returning again to do Path of the Renegade (2012), Path of the Incubus (2013) and the final novel Path of the Archon (2014) in the trilogy. As tie ins he has done three short stories: Midnight on the Street of Knives (2011), Treasures of Biel-Tanigh (2011) and Bellathonis and the Shadow King (2012). And of course Masque of Vyle.
He also wrote the Starship Troopers minatures game for Mongoose (which allegedly had some of the ideas that would have wound up in 40k 4th edition), then wound up joining Blizzard.

And Survival Instinct has to be one of the goriest BL novels ever, and not in a good way.

Apfeljunge
12-02-2013, 17:41
whats wrong with suvival instinct? it was one of the better parts of The Necromunda Omnibus imo.

Xisor
12-02-2013, 18:55
I really enjoyed the trio in Necromunda Omnibus 1. SI was probably the least amazing of them, but it was enjoyable enough and inhabited and explored a really neat setting - very lovely intro to the setting as well as being a rather curious run-down of the story (rich girl rejects aristocratic life after horrific abuse at hands of would-be husband - becomes urban legend in progress!), it's a bit facile in points - but it was pretty damn enjoyable nonetheless.

(I really enjoyed Junktion, one of the best novels I've read in a while - much more characterful, character-driven and understated than Farrer's Shira novels, whilst Goto's Salvation shocked the socks off of me by actually being very enjoyable indeed.)

In any case, SI was nowhere near as vivid and enjoyable as Path of the Renegade - so I can see that criticism well enough. The strange, ultra-urban SF of the Necromunda stories is enchanting in and of itself, which might colour things.

Sai-Lauren
12-02-2013, 19:10
What's wrong with Survival Instinct? Well, apart from Donna being nothing like her description in Outlanders (admittedly, the character in there is pretty much unusable for a book), Andy pulling a scorched earth on himself with the demise of the Dog Soldiers (his gang from the original studio Necromunda campaign), the level of gore and the gusto with which it's described, and the story being little more than a road movie in a "wild west with occasional street lights" environment, not much. ;)

Didn't read Salvation (and didn't get the omnibus as I'd already got SI and Junktion), but Junktion was the best of the Necromunda books I read (and was less techno-western and more post-apocalypse IMO, which is where I think Necromunda should be). And SI certainly wasn't as unredable as, say, the Dark Angels heresy novels. :eyebrows:

Anyway, IIRC, SI was his first book, and if AC's writing style has improved since then, I might give the DE path novels a go (although they do seem to me at best a dark companion to Gav's Eldar one's, and at worst an "he's doing what? Well, I can write that too").

Xisor
13-02-2013, 15:11
Sai: fair concerns, I think. If you're ever looking for something to replace your entire coffee table with, the first omnibus is (and presumably the other two are) well worth a look. Big pile of short stories in there too.

Gav's Eldar novels are pretty dry and mythic - Andy's DE are much more... wet? Loved Gav's ones, of course, but his style's not really to everyone's tastes. Depends on what you want, writing style, but I think Andy's make amazing counterpoints to Gav's work, not at all mere replications or imitations. I was a bit dismayed, originally, on seeing them - actually reading through Renegade changed that quite heartily. Well worth a look, IMO.

Apfeljunge
14-02-2013, 14:38
okay, to be fair, Survival Instinct was pretty much my first contact with anything Necromunda related. I only knew that its a famous Hive World and that there is game about it. So naturally I couldn't notice differences between Donna's description there and in earlier pieces.
I also honestly didn't notice any higher amounts of gore in this novel than the average BL book but maybe I'm just really desensitized already.

Anyway I kinda liked Donna's character and her backstory so the originality or the quality of the plot didn't matter to much much. I thought they were decent enough for what they were trying to do.
Apart from that I can see why you didn't like it, I guess.

my 2 cents.

MajorWesJanson
15-02-2013, 01:32
Anyone else keep thinking Harlequin Romance novel when they see the title of this thread?

shadowhawk2008
15-02-2013, 01:57
Anyone else keep thinking Harlequin Romance novel when they see the title of this thread?

Don't let Marvel and Hyperion Publishing hear you.

shadowhawk2008
15-02-2013, 08:05
The book is up for preorders on the website now, and has a trailer as well.
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/masque-of-vyle.html

Dark Eldar vs Harlequins essentially. This is the same as Flesh of Cretacia hardback novella.

AdamR
15-02-2013, 12:59
I got this at Throne of Skulls last month.
First thing I've read by Chambers since short stories in Inferno, but I liked it a lot.
Some parts I felt had a Moorcock vibe, others a bit Vance-ish.

eldargal
15-02-2013, 14:33
Pre-ordered. Out of curiosity, what is different about the BL hardcover books? I've never actually bought one as thus far they have all involved Space Marines as far as I know.

"Mighty General"
15-02-2013, 14:54
Me thinks Andy Cambers is an Elder Scrolls fan. (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Masque_of_Clavicus_Vile)

Radium
18-02-2013, 09:54
Pre-ordered. Out of curiosity, what is different about the BL hardcover books? I've never actually bought one as thus far they have all involved Space Marines as far as I know.

Pre-ordered my copy last weekend as well. And I'd like to have the very same question answered :D!
Still, Chambers (win) + Harlequins (way more win). This should be awesome!

shadowhawk2008
18-02-2013, 11:21
Here's a size comparison:

The only non-BL hardbacks I own are the Harry Potter novels and they are not with me at the moment unfortunately.

Skinny87
18-02-2013, 16:57
I might get it when it comes out. I hate the Eldar, but I love his Dark Eldar series, so it's in the balance...

HereticHammer01
20-02-2013, 21:11
Me thinks Andy Cambers is an Elder Scrolls fan. (http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Masque_of_Clavicus_Vile)
can't believe I didn't notice that.

Not a fan of the cover art, but reading about the harlequins gets thumbs up.

Ithilmere
25-02-2013, 12:35
I was on the cusp of buying this at the weekend when I realised what a slim volume it was. What you're essentially getting is a short story with a nice hard cover for 12 (in the UK). I'm usually the last person to complain about GW pricing policy but this seems like a really bad deal. It's not like there was any exclusive art or anything. It didn't help that Part of the Incubus was released at the same time for 2/3rds of the price and with about 3 times as much content. I've just been to the Black library's web site and see you can get Masque of Vyle for 7.50. much better deal.

shadowhawk2008
25-02-2013, 17:20
A NOVELLA is different than a SHORT STORY. BL shorts are typically 6,000-9,000 words. BL novellas are typically 27,000-30,000 words. There's almost three times as much content here in comparison. And the price? Well that's a whole bucket of internet rage. This is a premium product. Everybody pays more for that.

And just to avoid any confusion. Path of the Incubus is a novel, and BL novels are generally (for those who care) 90,000-100,000 words. Masque of Vyle, the novella in question (the thread title should read novella and not novel), is 12 pounds for the hardback and 7.50 pounds for the eBook.

emperor0
25-02-2013, 22:09
I like most of BL's stuff and bought a lot of it but I have to agree that the price of the novella's that BL are producing are a rip off and see no reason for getting them. I saw them in a GW store and saw they were very paper thin so won't be getting any of them. They maybe a premium product but they will probably go into some omnibus eventually so will wait years for the Dark Eldar ominbus.

MiyamatoMusashi
26-02-2013, 11:19
Bought this, read it, loved it.

Really nice little story (one fairly major dangling thread but I can live without it being tied up). Pretty cool insight into Harlequins and their relationship to the Dark Eldar. A flowing, easy read; won't win any literary awards, but did secure a place on my "good Black Library books" shelf.

I didn't mind the price on the basis that I know Chambers' writing, and had a fairly good expectation that I would like this, having liked his other stuff. It does feel like a bit of a con to charge more for a novella than a novel (and excuse it by calling it "limited" or "premium" or "special" or whatever other nonsense words they used), but I knew the price and was prepared to pay it, so hard to get too upset; at least it wasn't "first book by unknown author X, or another book from dreadful author Y, but YOU'LL HAVE TO PAY WHAT WE ASK TO COMPLETE YOUR COLLECTION"... so they've done much worse than this before (...as I've moaned about at length, previously) so I'm OK with it in this case, personally.

Elric
09-03-2013, 21:15
Is this set before or after the path of the Incubus? (which is awesome by the way) also is Motley the same character that was in path of the outcast? (also awesome)
I'm still tempted to pick up a paper copy of this, it just seems expensive for such a small book, is it worth 13 quid?

ac4155
09-03-2013, 22:16
I quite like the hardback novellas, they might be slightly on the expensive side. But they look and feel like a quality product, and also look nice on a bookshelf. Plus the stories have been quite good so far.

Xisor
09-03-2013, 23:52
I quite like the hardback novellas, they might be slightly on the expensive side. But they look and feel like a quality product, and also look nice on a bookshelf. Plus the stories have been quite good so far.

Pretty much agree there. In many respects, they're not 'for everyone' products. If you aren't intrigued by the topic, you're probably safe to ignore it. Of course, if you like it... you'd be paying more. BL have been good in keeping these 'quite good' so far (Promethean Sun notwithstanding).

So, yeah: much more expensive but they're at least pretty nice products. Also they're a bit more... 'focussed' types of story. This one's very much a weird murder-mystery. :p

If that's of 'not too much' interest, then almost certainly: for you, it's not worth 13. But, for me: totally worth it. Loved Renegade, very keen to get into Incubus - this was right up my street. (Also, I found an upside-down wrongly-bound copy, so that made things even better!)

MiyamatoMusashi
10-03-2013, 00:41
Is this set before or after the path of the Incubus? (which is awesome by the way) also is Motley the same character that was in path of the outcast? (also awesome)

Yes, same character.

I'd read it before Path of the Incubus. Because of Motley and a couple of other things (don't want to spoil).

I'm still tempted to pick up a paper copy of this, it just seems expensive for such a small book, is it worth 13 quid?

Errrrrrrrmmm... touch and go. Honestly, probably not. I really enjoyed it, but 13 is indeed not cheap. In terms of a "value for money" approach, no, honestly. I spent the money because I expected to like it, and I did like it. But it's just a novella. So I bought it irregardless of VFM, and that's OK, but if VFM matters, no.