PDA

View Full Version : Like Plague Marines, don't like Deathguard

Azulthar
14-02-2013, 11:07
I'm a big Nurgle fan, and have a Nurgle Daemon army. Now I'm looking to branch out to Nurgle Space Marines, but I just don't like how the Deathguard are portrayed in the Horus Heresy novels. They're brutes from the start, there's nothing sympathetic or tragic about them.

Is there any other Nurgle-themed Marine army with a decent amount of fluff behind it? Alternatively, is there fluff available that portrays the Deathguard and their Primarch in a more favorable light than "Flight of the Eisenstein" did?

Wyrmwood
14-02-2013, 11:18
There's no reason why you have to take the Horus Heresy novel series as the final word on anything. Use your imagination, or perhaps check out Forge Worlds Betrayal book for some further inspiration.

HBT
14-02-2013, 11:21
I don't know if the 'Flight of the Eisenstein' did portray the Death Guard that badly. They come across as a Legion who are dedicated to the art of war and are very Spartan in their outlook in prosecuting it.

And a lot of loyalist Death Guard died on Istvaan III.

I think that the Death Guard who followed Horus are portrayed in a bad light, but the same thing can be said of all the traitor legions, with the exception of the Thousand Sons and the Alpha Legion.

Cheers

Latro_
14-02-2013, 11:36
Yea HH novels while great are HH novels. Without trying to get to philosophical you create your own reality with the fluff... its your hobby really no two people envision the 40k universe exactly the same.. its just to vast.

As for using plague marines but not counting them as 'deathguard' the possiblities are endless. There are 10k years of space marine chapters/units going rouge... there is nothing in the fluff to say that any of those had count not of had some event that cause them to follow nurlge and become just as plague marine like as deathguard marines... 40k is intentionally open ended in this regard to facilitate cool army ideas people have.

Here's an example:
Ultramarine successor chapter: something like 'angels of macragge'
Pround of their pure geneseed and heritidge
evil force infiltrate the chapter's serfs turning them to chaos, these serfs manage to spread a terrible illnesss that latches onto the geneseed of the marines
it spreads quickly and violently, causing the chapters cruiser holding two companies to crash land on a swampy bog planet
here their brains are mutated etc further until they are a mess of disease etc atkin plague marines only totally mindless
they work mindlessly on some weird shinrine (illness has it inbuilt to do this), which summons a nurlge daemon prince - the architect of the whole thing!
he now commands then to do his bidding, repairing the ships with arcane nurggly magic and launching a horrible crusade of smellyness

just idea off the top of my head... endless possibilities.

Kiro
14-02-2013, 12:24
In addition to what Latro_ said, don't forget there are plenty of renegade Chapters dedicated to Nurgle!

IcedCrow
14-02-2013, 12:27
A plague marine does not have to have originated from the Death Guard.

Seville
14-02-2013, 17:58
Ewwww Flight of the Eisenstein was such a steaming **** of a novel. Just pretend you never read it, and, like others have mentioned, create your own plague marines with their own background stories.

Lester
14-02-2013, 18:27
As others have said, take a look at the FW HH Betrayal book. Their portrayal there might change your mind.

Imperialis_Dominatus
14-02-2013, 22:54
A Sanguinary Priest was heart-broken by seeing so many of his brothers die. He researched means to keep them alive, or bring them back from the brink of death, and became lauded as one of the finest in his field. He even did some fine research on the Flaw, but unfortunately it never got dispersed to the rest of the Blood Angels because... he delved to greedily and too deep, so to speak. He came across some necromantic lore and showed up on the front lines with Rhinos full of brothers the Chapter had thought dead, thinking he was doing everybody a great service... but the Librarians saw right through their all-encompassing armor to the corruption the Priest had wrought. The ensuing three-way battle was costly and the Sanguinary Priest escaped. He is now a necromancer of immense power, and takes joy in raising loyalist corpses to fight by his side, but what he sees as his brothers' betrayal has poisoned his heart and he has vowed to bring the star of Chaos to the ascendant with a mighty army of zombies raised by the power given him by Father Nurgle.

That's how I'm doing it.

Furthermore, the background for the Cleaved (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Cleaved#.UR15NmfNmSo)seems somewhat sympathetic, and they have appeared to be Nurgle-themed since their inception.

The Cleaved

'Call with all your soul, little one. Call and we shall answer.'

The pallid warriors known only as the Cleaved first appeared during the insurrection of Magma Cordelian. The loyalist guardsmen of the Iridian 334th had pushed their way into the rebellious Planetary Governor's palace after a sustained bombardment. The regiment's Primaris Psykers realized too late that the architecture of the Governor's keep was actually a giant summoning circle. Amongst the choking fumes, the insurrectionists conjured reinforcements- not Daemons, but Chaos Space Marines with strange, oil-like blood oozing from the joints in their armor. Though the new arrivals were massively outnumbered, the power-armored warriors exhibited an incredibly high pain threshold, fighting on through mortal wounds to eventually repel the Iridian attack and secure the planet for the insurrectionists.

EDIT: Double checked my Alessiorpe Gavatore 'dex. Cleaved have Icons of Nurgle in each case they're displayed and blurb is a rougher version of what we've got in the 6th ed Codex.

ctuttle
15-02-2013, 05:34
I actually loved Flight of The Eisenstein - but I guess that's me.

I also think the story about the creation of Typhus as the Herald of Nurgle is some pretty awesome stuff right there. So you might want to look to that for some inspiration. Additionally the book Cadian Blood by Aaron Dembski-Bowden is FANTASTIC in its depiction of The Death Guard. Might want to check that out, though it is only available used or in ebook format currently.

budman
15-02-2013, 07:33
Or just say there not your bag and make up a chapter... that got a cold
sniffly marrines