PDA

View Full Version : 500pt. rules??

E-Dog
14-02-2013, 17:53
Does anyone have the rules or a link to the rules for 500pt. games of fantasy? Tried the search, couldn't find 'em.

Asensur
14-02-2013, 22:50
You can play perfectly 500pt games with the normal army list rules.

For example, a Chaos Warband

Exalted Hero
-Halberd

11 Chaos Warriors
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Shields

15 Marauders
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Shields

10 Chaos Warhounds

TOTAL 496 All requirements met (min.3 units, 1 general, % max-min points)

Lance Tankmen
14-02-2013, 23:34
i often think 500 point games would be fun, but sadly we have VC and TK so....needing wizards. and not having a fighty hero.. ehhh

Little Joe
15-02-2013, 00:47
Why try to kill at 500pts with VC? Two big blocks with 111 zombies in total for point denial, a necromancer to heal them and 10 ghouls to go kill something small for a victory. Everybody else has less and the "3 units minimum"-rule is there for all so no big blocks for most players. At that level 55 zombies will stop almost anything.

Use the normal rules, maybe limit magic per house rule to a few lower spells. It still works and is a great way to learn the rules better in faster games. Sure you will not see hordes and hard hitters can really hurt, but I think it is still pretty much balanced. It also depends a lot on the fun people want to have, lots of fun possibilities at that point level.

Trustey
15-02-2013, 00:58
Here are a couple links
http://www.inisfail.com/guardians/files/warbands.pdf

And here is one that looks like it's from a WD insert.
http://www.thekeeponline.com/documents/Warbands.pdf

I also have one called "Path to Glory: Rules For Fighting With Chaos Warbands," that has army specific rules. Not sure if they made one for every army. Keep in mind this is all outdated I don't think any of it is designed for 8th. Probably not a big deal though.

Lance Tankmen
15-02-2013, 04:43
Why try to kill at 500pts with VC? Two big blocks with 111 zombies in total for point denial, a necromancer to heal them and 10 ghouls to go kill something small for a victory. Everybody else has less and the "3 units minimum"-rule is there for all so no big blocks for most players. At that level 55 zombies will stop almost anything.

the problem is i can run my Hero who will be mounted with a decent save and some decent weapon and slam into his wizard's unit with zombies and kill his general and watch everything crumble... cause the generals in front.... or as stated i can for sure kill ten ghouls with my 500 and laugh as the zombies hit me with pillows. dont worry we've thought of these outcomes its hardly fun for the two of them

Asensur
15-02-2013, 09:28
Well, Tomb Kings need to include a Liche Priest as the only hero. But i don't find it hard to play with them.

A first army i think could work at 500pt is.

Liche Priest
-Lore of Nehekhara
-Opal Amulet

14 Skeleton Warriors
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard Bearer
-Spears

15 Skeleton Archers
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard Bearer

3 Chariots
-Champion
-Musician
-Standard Bearer

TOTAL 500pts (met min. 3 units, hierofant, general, % min-max options)

Kalandros
15-02-2013, 10:10
We had 300 pts games, 2v2 - it was a blast.
My 15 bloodletters were reduced to a single model after 18 Khorne halberd warriors charged me (old book) - but my goblin allied then had free reign to charge in and break the warriors after surviving 3 rounds against high elves, Dat LD6 Steadfast I swear!

Games where panic and fear actually come into play often enough to be dangerous! O:

Lord Solar Plexus
15-02-2013, 10:18
the problem is i can run my Hero who will be mounted with a decent save and some decent weapon and slam into his wizard's unit with zombies and kill his general and watch everything crumble... cause the generals in front.... or as stated i can for sure kill ten ghouls with my 500 and laugh as the zombies hit me with pillows. dont worry we've thought of these outcomes its hardly fun for the two of them

Some can slam a hero into another important character and kill him at every point size, and x can kill y, laugh and massacre the rest at 2k.

If you're worried about something, that's where tactics come in, and this is coming from someone who isn't the best tactician around. I've played plenty of 500 points games with and against Empire, Skaven, WoC, and HE and it's good fun.

Jim
15-02-2013, 10:38
My gaming club (Tolworth First Founding) started a 500 point WHFB & WH40K campaign last week.

I'm going down tonight with an army for each and hope to get a couple of games of both systems in.

My WoC list is as follows:

Exalted
Mark of Nurgle

10 Warriors
Mark of Nurgle

5 Forsaken
Mark of Nurgle

5 Warhounds
Vanguard

Spawn
Mark of Nurgle

Should be fun!

Jim

Tarian
15-02-2013, 13:23
I find that the rules work fine for High Elves and Skaven without modification. For HE, you can afford a fighting hero or a mage, but not both, and most heroes don't want to run into HE elite infantry anyways, so mages do fine normally.

15-02-2013, 15:51
Skaven rock at 500 point games. I would imagine Empire, Orcs and Goblins and other armies that do not require wickedly hardcore general choices as also doing quite well in small point games.

Lorcryst
15-02-2013, 18:37
Confirming that O&G work really well at the 500 points mark, I have more than a dozen lists, all themed, and all work (luck permitting).

As an example, a "nasty" Night Goblin list :

- Night Goblin Warboss, Armour of Destiny (yes, a Lord with a 4+ ward !)
- Night Goblin Shaman, level 2, Dispel Scroll

- 20 Night Goblins, Spears, Netters, Full Command, 1 Fanatic

- 5 Squig Hoppers

- 1 Mangler Squig

500 points on the dot, you can swap the Squig Hoppers for a 6 Squigs, 4 Herders Squig Herd (same point costs), the Warboss can be a nasty surprise at that point level (and he's surprisingly durable, to boot), Little Waaagh spells + Night Goblin "mushroom dice" = WIN, and the Mangler is just nasty ...

And just for the fun of it, here's a very basic, barebones Nurgle DoC list :

- Herald of Nurgle

- 10 Plaguebearers with Full Command, Icon of Eternal Virulence

- 3x Nurglings
- 3x Nurglings

Kalandros
16-02-2013, 00:22
We've a slow grow league so our 500 pts games are 1-2 heroes, no lords, max 1 level of wizard total, rest is core units only. 750 pts will add 250 pts of special, etc, slow grow so you can't just overwhelm someone with the "no brainer low point choices"

DragonArmy
16-02-2013, 06:28
I find 750 a really fun point level--500 is not enough for some armies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Little Joe
16-02-2013, 13:03

It is not always about strike first, strike hard. The two zombie units go 5 wide 11 deep with just enough room in between for the wizard to be there at the back. That makes him very hard to attack directly with the 1" rule. Or to draw LOS for shooting or magic to the Necromancer. Something like this:

XXXXX___XXXXX X:Zombie
XXXXX___XXXXX N:Necromancer
XXXXX___XXXXX G: Ghouls
XXXXX___XXXXX
XXXXX___XXXXX
XXXXX___XXXXX
XXXXX___XXXXX
XXXXX___XXXXX
XXXXX___XXXXX
XXXXX_N_XXXXX_GGGGG
XXXXX___XXXXX_GGGGG

As for the ghouls, of course that is a week point, most armies have one. So put them at the back, if someone wants to charge them a horde of zombies can do a cushion flank attack. With deployment and movement you can go a long way. No marching is far more of a problem, you could always skip a few zombies to get a vampire instead of an necromancer. It just needs a bit of fresh thinking and not just go with the smash it hard technique.
If this is fun to you is something different, that is up to you.