PDA

View Full Version : Darkelves 1510pts

Servant of the Emperor
14-02-2013, 18:18
Greetings fellow wargamers, I will play a friendly game with one of my friends this Saturday and he will play warriors of chaos with the king of the Trolls, so I decided to bring the queen of the Witch elves! The thing is, he plan to bring his list to a tournament so my army should be at least a little competitive so we can improve his list before the tournament, for our game we will play 1512pts.
The plan with my list is to spam Witches and still be a tough nut to crack
So suggestions and ideas how to do that would be greatly appreciated.

Lord
Crone Hellebron 350pts

Heroes
Sorceress Tieldara Lv2 135pts
Death Hag with cauldron of blood 200pts

Core
20 Witch Elves, Standardbearer, musician, Hag 225pts

20 Witch Elves, Standardbearer, musician, Hag 225pts

10 Witch Elves 100pts

Rare
Hydra 175pts
Bolthrower 100pts

1510pts

The bolthrower and Cauldron will deploy in the centre with the 10 Witch unit and hydra as guards. The bigger witch units will take one flank each together with Hellebron and the sorceress and be buffed by the cauldron.

Thank you for your time.

Knifeparty
15-02-2013, 01:02
I would personally drop the bolt thrower as they are pretty terrible, especially taking only one.

Since he'll be taking Throgg and trolls, taking the flaming banner on a unit of witches is a must, also taking the razor standard on one unit of witches would be good too.

I would try to drop the third unit of witches and up the other two units to 30 man units.

Also you need diverters/ redirectors. I would take at least 2 units of harpies, dark riders or shades.

The level 2 sorceress isn't really going to do much unless you give her the sacrificial dagger, or make her a level 1 and get a dispel scroll and just use her to dispel magic. Note that sorceress can't join Khainite units so she will have no units to join and she'll be sniped out pretty quickly by the enemy and then they will be able to dominate the magic phase pretty easily. Also what lore were you going to use for the Sorceress?

Hellebron can be very killy but be careful, that is alot of points to pay for a toughness 3 no armour special character.

Hydra's are amazing, take 2.

I noticed that you plan on using a Hydra and Witch elves as guards for your cauldron. This is a very bad idea, If you're using one of the most survivable/killy monsters in the game and 10 toughness 3 no armour save girls defensively then you really need to rethink what army you are playing, this is a terrible idea. Dark Elves are an extremely aggressive army especially since you are taking a Khainite themed army. If you want defensive then take crossbows, tonnes of magic and executioners.

Cauldrons of Blood rarely ever get killed. I've used one for over 6 years now and its only died 2 times in several hundred games. Just put it in the back and buff units, if you're playing your army correctly, the enemy will have more important units to deal with than the cauldron of blood. Also I noticed you don't have a battle standard bearer. Make your cauldron of blood the battle standard bearer, in 8th edition you absolutely need to have one. Its 25 points that allow you to re-roll break tests and can win or lose the game for you.

I like that you are playing a different style list than most people bring to the table but I really think you need to go back to the drawing board with this list and re-think how its going to work.

Good luck.

Servant of the Emperor
15-02-2013, 16:55
You make alot of good points. What do you think of this variant?

Lord
Crone Hellebron 350pts

Heroes
Death Hag, battlestandardbearer with cauldron of blood 225pts

Core
27 Witch Elves, full command, banner of the eternal flame 305pts

25 Witch Elves, full command, banner of the eternal flame 285pts

Rare
Hydra 175pts
Hydra 175pts

Total 1515pts

I added a burning banners to all the witches and a hydra, a razor would be good, but I cant free enough points for that. Sadly I have no harpies and shades, and I don't really like darkriders, my buddy prefers to blob his army into few and strong units so hopefully I wont need them anyway.
My original plan was to take the lore of fire for the sorceress, but I see your point that one sorceress wont do much and the flaming banners will give flaming weapons to the witches. Which I was after anyway(ignore regeneration for just 10pts? yes please). So she and the bolthrower is out.

What do you guys think?

Knifeparty
15-02-2013, 20:52
I think its a much better list.

I'm not sure if you added the points for the flaming banner for both witch units, but its a magical standard so only one unit can take it.

The fact that he has his points tied up in a few big units is an even bigger reason why you need re-directors, I honestly can't stress enough how important those small throw away units are to the game, but you are playing at a smaller points level so you can make it work here, but when and if you do increase the size of your army the first thing I would invest in is Shades or Harpies.

For example a single unit of my Dark Riders held up and stopped 2 charges from 6 Dragon Ogres for 3 turns before I was able to engage them with my hydras and destroy them on my own terms.

The big thing about playing with Elves is you need to engage the enemy on your terms, not theirs. You don't have the survivability or numbers to put yourself in a precarious situation like other armies. Thats why these small throw away units are so important to the functionality of your army.

Hope the game goes well.

Dante blackfur
20-02-2013, 11:19
You make alot of good points. What do you think of this variant?

Lord
Crone Hellebron 350pts

Heroes
Death Hag, battlestandardbearer with cauldron of blood 225pts

Core
27 Witch Elves, full command, banner of the eternal flame 305pts

25 Witch Elves, full command, banner of the eternal flame 285pts

Rare
Hydra 175pts
Hydra 175pts

Total 1515pts

I added a burning banners to all the witches and a hydra, a razor would be good, but I cant free enough points for that. Sadly I have no harpies and shades, and I don't really like darkriders, my buddy prefers to blob his army into few and strong units so hopefully I wont need them anyway.
My original plan was to take the lore of fire for the sorceress, but I see your point that one sorceress wont do much and the flaming banners will give flaming weapons to the witches. Which I was after anyway(ignore regeneration for just 10pts? yes please). So she and the bolthrower is out.

What do you guys think?

You can only have one of each magic banner in an army so no double banner of eternal flame unfourtuanly. :-( otherwise it looks better :-)