PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Dice?

deathbyhoarse
14-02-2013, 20:28
Somebody on the 40K forum suggested these dice as an interesting addition to my new setup.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/829525177/miniature-aluminum-gaming-dice
What do you guys think? Will it work for Warhammer?

leopard
14-02-2013, 20:49
Many moons ago at college a guy machined some metal dice, they work, they also wreaked a polystyrene table, well the steel ones did. I'd be concerned about using them on plastic or especially glass - more due to the noise.

They will work fine, and are something a bit different for sure, but to me dice are a commodity item, not too bothered about anything special - I'd be more likely to go for a symbol on the #6 side than metal - what I'd see these good for would be a highly polished look as decorative items in a cabinet

anthioram
14-02-2013, 22:09
I machined my own two aluminum dice to get some practice on the numerical control machine at university (no CAD or CAM so kind of a pain to make more than two). Of course i didn't anodize them so you can't really see the numbers :)

As to if those can work in warhammer, well, it's just dice. I reckon those can be more balance than the tipical plastic ones, but it won't make your warhammer experience any better...
It makes for a good sidegift in tournaments or for a friend though...

Jericho
14-02-2013, 22:23
Meh, you can buy all kinds of crazy dice already. Metal, bone, semi-precious stones, you name it. Some brands are stupid expensive, as you'd expect. $125 for a cube of 25 dice is too rich for my blood. Not sure why it isn't a full 27 (3x3x3) in that set... cheap buggers :p

I'll stick to Chessex, thanks. I already have about a dozen cubes of various kinds (many of them with custom 6's) and more on the way :D

Note: Chessex is much more strict these days about what images they will reproduce on d6's. Just fair warning.

Sh4d0w
15-02-2013, 05:02
Is there something that im missing or are they just regular dice that are made out of aluminum?? If so....why? From the pictures they don't look any better than my current dice which i bought for $10.

SteveW
15-02-2013, 06:44
If you throw something and its harder than what it hits, it has a really good chance of damaging it. Aluminum is harder than everything I have to game with so... No, i will not buy these.

Kalandros
15-02-2013, 06:58
I make satellite parts, mostly in aluminum with the crazy tolerances~ pain in the rear job really.

And looking at that Kickstarter, the prices are insane for dice and their use is extremely limited.

I remember those 2 special Games workshop dice, whatever material they were, with the chrome finish, those things destroyed models and terrain pieces in the GW store haha.

NemoSD
15-02-2013, 07:37
I hate metal dice with a passion. They have ruined tables, models and windows. (Don't ask, still angry about it.) I do not allow them on my tables or at my games. Done with them.

kefkah
15-02-2013, 10:50
Ok..so is this done with premium salvaged material, and hence the cost? Wow 109 Dollars + Shipment is way off.

Your way way way better off buying themed or "customed" dice, there is like in almost all army theme, and they dont cost so much more then a pack of regular gaming dice.

Yeez kickstarters have really made people get some kind of hybris, if this project gets 5000k is like..a boon for suckers lol.

Terrenord
15-02-2013, 13:38
I only roll with gold, and diamond pips. I'm gangster when I play.

GlenMorray
15-02-2013, 13:48
Whenever I see the word Aluminium now all I can hear is the crazy way Americans pronounce it! Haha.

"Aloominum"

Wonder if that's used for other words as well?

"I really Valoooo your opinion!"

theunwantedbeing
15-02-2013, 13:57
opinion!"

opinum*

:)

Good ol' Ayy-murricans and thier funny slang.

I think the aluminium dice look terrible and for the cost they'de need to be hollow and liquid filled to be justified.
Also I'de rather have a hundred of them, not just 25. And 9mm not 12mm.

popisdead
15-02-2013, 22:46
So now I have to put up with people knocking over my models and chipping them with metal dice?

Lame.

GlenMorray
17-02-2013, 01:12
opinum*

:)

Good ol' Ayy-murricans and thier funny slang.

Hahahahah, ohhhh good one!

Glen_Savet
17-02-2013, 01:47
To be fair, we spell it the way we say it. Aluminum vs Aluminium.