PDA

View Full Version : Dune 'the sleeper must awaken'

yukimura01
14-02-2013, 20:31
Hey

Im not 100% whether this is the correct forum to post this in so i apologise before hand if that is the case.

Basically the quote from the Duke Leto 'the sleeper must awaken' in the film is this in referance to a quote from the book dune ? Or is this a random quote from Frank Herbet as the internet in all it's infinite wisdom seems to suggest ? As im reading the book at the minuite (so ideally if you can tell me without spoilers) ive got about half way through and i have yet to come across it unless ive been a fool and read past it somehow ?

Thanks for any help anyone can give its been annoying me for a while and can find no answer :)

Arkley
14-02-2013, 20:35
IIRC its just the film... And once you finish the book the film will make you feel dirty :p

Lars Porsenna
14-02-2013, 20:44
Depends on which film you're talking about. The original Lynch movie or the SyFy miniseries. Even without reading the book the Lynch film has lots of cringe-worthy moments (i.e. any scene involving Alia, especially if she is talking...). The Lynch movie, at least, looked good...

But yes, the book is heads and shoulders better than any of the movies...

Damon.

Wyrmwood
14-02-2013, 21:49
Depends on which film you're talking about. The original Lynch movie or the SyFy miniseries. Even without reading the book the Lynch film has lots of cringe-worthy moments (i.e. any scene involving Alia, especially if she is talking...). The Lynch movie, at least, looked good...

But yes, the book is heads and shoulders better than any of the movies...

Damon.
This. I love the Dune series of books. Well, you know, the ones not written by They Who Shall Not Be Named.

To be honest, I actually enjoy the Lynch film - a painful, guilty pleasure.

yukimura01
14-02-2013, 23:11
Hey guys thanks for the reply's

Much appreciated for the info i thought it wasnt from the book thought i was going mad, you are definatley right about the book im only half way through and i think it is absolutely incredible !

I will say the film is an easy watch definatley nowhere near as good as the book that ive read so far, to be honest though i watched the film before reading the book several years ago and it seems so differant from what ive read so far it seems a bit harsh to even compare it. to be fair to Lynch though he did make the elephant man which is a great film although that was a fare old while ago.

Thanks again for giving me the heads up its not in the book !

Urgat
15-02-2013, 12:59
This. I love the Dune series of books. Well, you know, the ones not written by They Who Shall Not Be Named.

To be honest, I actually enjoy the Lynch film - a painful, guilty pleasure.

I liked the movies too :p Lynch himself hates it though, he considers it his biggest screw up and refuses to even talk about it. That movie does introduce the most strongly anchored visual depiction of the universe. Whatever they tried to do elsewhere (like in the miniseries...), that's how sand worms look like to most people, that's how Giedi Prime looks like, that's how the stillsuits look like, etc etc. So well... it's fine :)

Lothlanathorian
17-02-2013, 03:43
My first encounter with Dune was the Sci Fi miniseries. I thoroughly enjoyed it and that's what led to my deciding to read the book. The book was miles better (one of my favorites of all time, definitely), but, I still thoroughly enjoyed the miniseries and watch it on occasion.

canucklhead
17-02-2013, 18:29
the mini series had poor production values, but was at least true to the original story. The Movie was a tragic abortion of a confusing acid trip, (and yet strangely I found i liked it).

Easy E
18-02-2013, 12:33
I LOVE the Lynch version. The only issue is it is really hard to find any cut but the heavily edited "short" version. I prefer the one that starts with the Imperial Princess narrating the Butlerian Jihad, but has the extended scenes in it. Too bad I only saw it on local TV every 6 months for several years, and can't find it anywhere else.

Perhaps it was all just a wonderful dream?

I like the book too.

chromedog
20-02-2013, 07:06
@EasyE: That version is the often labelled as "3 hour extended" cut (directed by Alan Smithee) and is very common on dvd. It's even worse than Lynch's version (which I do like - but it's not a Dune movie, rather a movie based loosely on the book Dune.). I mean, c'mon, TOTO did the soundtrack. It's just so painfully 80s. I saw this at the cinema, when my family went off to see Greystoke: the legend of Tarzan. They went in before me and I still came out after them. :D

canucklhead
20-02-2013, 17:38
And every time that kid spoke my ears started bleeding. You and I must be similar in age, Chrome. I only managed to read the books after having seen the movie, and I remember several times shaking my head and saying out loud, WTF?

Inquisitor Engel
20-02-2013, 19:28
I loved Dune. Love it.

Loved the first three books of it. Past that, I began to struggle to care, I must confess.

I'll also take the Sci-Fi Miniseries over the David Lynch travesty any day of the week.

chromedog
25-02-2013, 03:47
And every time that kid spoke my ears started bleeding. You and I must be similar in age, Chrome. I only managed to read the books after having seen the movie, and I remember several times shaking my head and saying out loud, WTF?

Well, I read the book in primary school. I was offered a choice of Lotr or Dune. I took Dune/messiah/children. I saw the movie when it was released in the early 80s, some years later. I think I was about 14-15 when the movie came out.
I have nothing against little Alicia Witt though (she did get hotter as she grew up). What? I like redheads. :D
Sure, the lisp was troublesome, but she was meant to be a fully awakened reverend mother in the body of someone whose palate hand't hardened yet.
I liked the movie - thought the miniseries was more drawn out and too soap-opera-y - but it WAS pretty.

Although given the amount of stuffing around the studio did whilst the movie was being made, it's a wonder it got made at all. It almost was entirely an Alan Smithee movie (not just that edit of it) as the studio's machinations had almost made Lynch walk away completely.

Mewy
25-02-2013, 11:41
I've loved the Lynch film since I was 16. Every since then I think it's brilliant. But I have to say (apart from the mostly wooden-acting) that the mini series delivers more. James McAvoy is particularly good in my opinion.