PDA

View Full Version : Temple guard

quina2525
15-02-2013, 23:22
Hey got a 2000 point game next week, started building up my temple guard. What's the general view on them, they any good? Any pro tips or hints and tips on using them. I have 20 with a slann slap bang in the middle.

Thanks in advance,

John :)

BeastBoogie
15-02-2013, 23:39
A great bunker unit, and certainly a powerful part of lizardmen army. Much better to park your slann with the temple guard than run him alone ethereal imo.

With lore of life, you'll heal these guys right back up if they take many casualties. Or take lore of light for ASF lizards. Either way, they provide a nice, safe platform for your awesome Frog of Power to work his magic.

I'd say they're a safe bet. Of course, there are things that will tear them a new one if allowed, but hey, no one is immortal. Take them for a few spins and see how you like them.

Moss
16-02-2013, 02:35
Lore of Light is great for them, both offensively and defensively. Pha's Protection and Speed of Light can potentially make your opponent hit on 6s, and will negate rerolls due to ASF/higher initiative.

They're also not overly vulnerable to shooting, since you (hopefully) will have enough chameleons and/or terradons to clear warmachines.

Like this other guy says, there are things that will tear them a new one if allowed, so just don't allow it. Don't fight WLs or GG with your temple guard. Feed your skinks to those units. Use your TG for fights you know they can win.

ftayl5
16-02-2013, 03:36
Without a slann they're pretty average, maybe even verging on overpriced. But with a slann they're very very good.
If you can push your buffs through on them or hex whatever they're fighting, they can comfortably destroy almost anything.

kefkah
16-02-2013, 03:42
You absolutly need misscast protection, so eaither Life or Cupped Hands. Even if you get the mild 7 its like 8 something tempele guards taking s6 hits. Get any template and it sucks lol.

I like Light way more, so just take cupped hands and your safe for the first IF.

Otherwise, i mean they are solid. S5 2 attacks, low i though and no rerolls make them dependent on magic to tear stuff up. And my opinion is your gonna buff stuff the saurus works almost as good aswell :).

Moss
16-02-2013, 18:00
You absolutly need misscast protection, so eaither Life or Cupped Hands. Even if you get the mild 7 its like 8 something tempele guards taking s6 hits. Get any template and it sucks lol.

I like Light way more, so just take cupped hands and your safe for the first IF.

That is certainly something you need to keep in mind. A miscast can be catastrophic, maybe even worse than a VC player having his lord miscast. You're not killing seven (resurrectable) skeletons; you're killing like 12 TG, which is more than half your unit (which also happens to account for almost half of your army). Cupped Hands is invaluable - I take it even if using Lore of Life (which is rare).

Glen_Savet
18-02-2013, 07:51
You don't NEED life or cupped hands, but I almost never leave home without Soul of Stone if I'm worried about miscasting.

kefkah
18-02-2013, 08:28
Might aswell take earthing rod, its not that great of a miscast protetion. Ofcourse you dont need it, but its gonna hurt your saurus warriors.

On a unit of 20 templeguards

Miscast result of 2-4: All exepkt one gets hit

5-6= eleven temple guards

7= 11 temple guards

8-9 none

10-12 none

So yeah you need miscasts protection if you dont want the unit to lose about 8 model. A 8-9 is the best to roll, all the others will slaughter the tk unit or take d3 wizard lvls from your slann.

Moss
18-02-2013, 15:29
Of course you don't NEED anything, but miscast protection is more important when you're a large model in the MIDDLE of your most expensive unit.

Sh4d0w
19-02-2013, 11:01
I love how it is so acceptable and even encouraged to take one of the most broken magic items in the game.

kefkah
19-02-2013, 12:04
Well, thats one of the reasons Temple Guards never get picked in Comped play, since you will also need Cupped Hands not to have a risky magic phase, or take life.

Tbh i think the Pendant is worse :P

Sh4d0w
20-02-2013, 07:01
Well, thats one of the reasons Temple Guards never get picked in Comped play, since you will also need Cupped Hands not to have a risky magic phase, or take life.

Tbh i think the Pendant is worse :P

No doubts there but you wont find many DE players encouraging them ;) Most probably because even getting a game is hard when you are a DE player.

Visago
21-02-2013, 19:46
I was wondering how you guys deal with spells like pit of shades? Do you see it alot? It seems every time I field my lizards there is no shortage of template spells thrown at me, and the pit is the worse. I've actually stopped fielding temple guard cause of it since they are such a juicy target with my Slann in it.

Moss
23-02-2013, 00:26
Becalming Cogitation helps a lot when it comes to preventing those unit-breaking spells. If it's THAT big of a problem, bring Becalming and a scroll.

kefkah
23-02-2013, 12:29
Yeah, Becalming is great since it means your able to dispell it. Also, as a DE player also, those templates are not that easy to land, even if it may seem like it :). So if you have Becalming your bound to dispell that spell all the time, otherwise my advice is not to be that afraid of it, if its gonna happen it happens, just play on regularly till it comes, and even then its not 100 % its gonna hit.

Visago
23-02-2013, 18:31
Thanks for the advice Moss and kefkah. I'll give that a go and see how it pans out for me!

JWhex
25-02-2013, 08:55
20 seems kind of small to me. At 2500 points I run 36 TG.

Moss
26-02-2013, 23:54
20 seems kind of small to me. At 2500 points I run 36 TG.

Does that giant block of stubborn, S5/T4, armored, and probably-buffed-by-Light-magic TG ever see combat?

JWhex
27-02-2013, 10:24
Does that giant block of stubborn, S5/T4, armored, and probably-buffed-by-Light-magic TG ever see combat?

Yes, every game in recent memory both at tournaments and at my gaming table. I know it sounds harsh for a home game but my friend and I enjoy playing hard lists against each other in order to prepare for the local tournaments. We almost always have good tight and fun games that go down to the wire and between the two of us we have 10-11 armies to choose from. I am sure most people would consider our armies pretty harsh and over the top but we are both pretty laid back about what happens in the game.

Usually I play really aggressively with the unit and buff with life or play risky and use death. Light is definitely an excellent choice though. Regardless, an absolutely tooled up vampire lord delivered by a black knight bus can and has wrecked the unit, as can the vampire scream list. The doombull build with rerollable saves and extra attacks when making a save can bring some serious pain to the unit as well. Against these builds I obviously need to delay combat rather than move aggressively. The doombull can be diverted a turn or two but with the 2 up rerollable even a lot of skink shooting cannot stop it from eventually getting to the unit. Then its just a question of whether or not I have enough heroes to feed it or which one of us gets a supporting unit into the mix first.

For my lizard army my opponent really hates my salamanders more than the TG unit. I just wrecked his dark elf army recently because my salamanders burned off a lot of his troops and I got a combined charge on his horde with the TG and a unit of saurus. Now he had a really harsh list with the unkillable dreadlord, cauldron hydra and etc but the salamander shooting was amazingly better than it should have been and really weakened his units. I find the LM army can struggle a bit against high T and really good AS units but against T3 armies the LM really just run wild.

Terrenord
05-03-2013, 16:30
Lord Kroak in a bunker of Temple Guard is dirty against undead and daemons. They're there to absorb attacks while he spams his insane spell. TG without a Slann is nonsensical.

PeG
05-03-2013, 16:36
just watch out for spells like dwellers from below cast by someone more than 24 inches away from your Slann but within 24 inches of your TG. This is currently my favorite way of dealing with big frogs.....

quina2525
05-03-2013, 23:58
just watch out for spells like dwellers from below cast by someone more than 24 inches away from your Slann but within 24 inches of your TG. This is currently my favorite way of dealing with big frogs.....

ooh ouch.

Had my first game with my temple guard tonight, crushing victory the temple guard held their own and sqashed gobbos and deflected fanatics! :)