PDA

View Full Version : Orks and Necrons allies and fluff questions...

Nazrax
16-02-2013, 19:30
Hello Warseer!

I am considering doing an Ork force as allies for my Necron army and was wondering about a few things and thought I would ask the folks here at Warseer their thoughts.

My Necrons have a rust color scheme and the fluff(not written really) is somewhere along the lines of their particular Tomb World had some trouble with stasis chambers being slightly damaged and rust set in on many of the sleeping Necrons. A few were damaged beyond repair but almost all survived with just cosmetic damage. The Canoptek Contructs in charge of security and maintenance during the "Dreamless Sleep" deemed the rust to be of little threat so it was ignored. Upon awakening the resident Overlord discovered that he very much liked the rust effect and thought it could be used to some extent as a psychological weapon against the more superstitous, mortal and foolish races of the galaxy. During the endless wars of reconquest and expansion the Necrons(of my as yet nameless Tomb World) encounter Orks. The usual war and hilarity ensues and there was much rejoicing...yay.

So, long fluff explanation aside- I am wondering if Orks would be able to use bits of Necron tech to add to their own already wacky creations and if the Necrons themselves would find it offensive. (Note: the Necron bits would be for looks only)
I also wonder what sort of fluff justification would be good enough to allow the alliance. Something along the lines of Orks and Necrons fight and fight for many years and finally either an Ork Boss "discovers that Necrons are somehow very Gork and Mork-ish" or the Necron Overlord feels that using the loutish brutes as cannon fodder is better than using his own troops and so the Overlord decides to either use Mind Shackle Scarabs or a devious and tricksy plan to convince the Orks that the Necrons are somehow speaking for Gork and Mork. I am thinking that I dont want to just say Mind Shackle Scarabs did it! and be done it. I would prefer a bit more nuance and subtly on the part of the Necrons and some good old fashioned Ork silliness and quirky humor from the Orks as to how they are allies and why they use Necron bits but not full blown Necron weapons and toys.
This is all really just for the background fluff I have in my head, I most likely wont write it down or make a big deal of making sure my opponents know every detail. I just like to have a cool and interesting background for my much loved army(ies).
I know in the past I have asked a question very similiar to this about Orks using looted Necron tech and there was some discussion but I thought an updated conversation would be good since we now have a new Necron codex and the 6th ed. rules and allies matrix.
I am looking for any thoughts and ideas regarding fluff for the allies becoming allies and any ideas for Ork color schemes using Necron bits and lots of rusting gear, vehicles, weapons and any other stuff.

As always please be nice in your replies and try not to knock someone else's ideas or thoughts. There are no right or wrong responses and it is a game afterall, have fun! Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Grimbad
16-02-2013, 20:07
So, long fluff explanation aside- I am wondering if Orks would be able to use bits of Necron tech to add to their own already wacky creations and if the Necrons themselves would find it offensive. (Note: the Necron bits would be for looks only)

I would guess that yes and yes.

I also wonder what sort of fluff justification would be good enough to allow the alliance. Something along the lines of Orks and Necrons fight and fight for many years and finally either an Ork Boss "discovers that Necrons are somehow very Gork and Mork-ish" or the Necron Overlord feels that using the loutish brutes as cannon fodder is better than using his own troops and so the Overlord decides to either use Mind Shackle Scarabs or a devious and tricksy plan to convince the Orks that the Necrons are somehow speaking for Gork and Mork. I am thinking that I dont want to just say Mind Shackle Scarabs did it! and be done it. I would prefer a bit more nuance and subtly on the part of the Necrons and some good old fashioned Ork silliness and quirky humor from the Orks as to how they are allies and why they use Necron bits but not full blown Necron weapons and toys.

The new necrons could just as well simply hire orks to do their dirty work. The Orks, of course, would plan to stab the necrons in the back and steal their shiny things (which is an awful lot with the necrons), and the necrons know it and are confident they can vaporize the orks when the time comes.

Lord Damocles
17-02-2013, 09:06
The 5th ed. Rulebook (pg.163) features Orks salvaging teleport nodes from a tombworld (which looks to imply that they're Necron in origin), and 'Da Necron Rayd' in Gorkamorka Gubbinz (pg.13) features Orks using Gauss Flayers; showing that Orks can use Necron technology.

You could go down the 'Necron [Over]Lord is a bit insane and sees the Orks as Necrontyr route for explaining an alliance, like Zahndrekh on pg.61 of the 5th ed. Codex: Necrons.

cornonthecob
17-02-2013, 17:28
Necron Lord : Hmmm the foolish mortal races keep on blowing up my warriors with their long-range explosives........
Ork Warboss : Me boys have got da choppas but wheres me shooty zappy guns gonna come from , me meks too busy makin' a big killy gargant.
Necron lord and Ork Warboss shake hands.