PDA

View Full Version : 2k VC list for game on wednesday

mr_gosh_the_return
17-02-2013, 00:14
Just need a little help makng this list stronger for a game at GW on Wednesday vs staff. Any ideas are welcome:

Ghoul King- talisman of preservaton, ogre blade, quick blood, red fury

Vampire - heavy armour, shield, +1 magic level, quickblood, nightshroud, biting blade, lore of shadow

necromancer - +1 level, dspel scroll, lore of vampires

25 zombies, standard, muscian (contains necromancer)

20 Ghouls, ghast (contains ghoul king)

35 skeletons, full comand (contains vampire)

6 crypt horrors

3 varghests

1 vargulf

1 vargulf

hope to use the skeletons and ghouls up the flanks, swappng the vampires over usng lore of shadow if needed. Behind them is the necromancer in a zombie bunker. To the centre of the table will be the crypt horrors, and the vargheists and vargulfs are for flanking/war machne hunting. Any huge flaws or improvements, I'd love a battle standard but haven't got a model yet :( but anything else s welcome

Lordcypress
17-02-2013, 01:23
20 ghouls is not enough. Perhaps axe the skeletons and take more ghouls. Or you take out the ghouls and take a massive skeleton unit.

MooseGreen
17-02-2013, 02:47
I would consider changing the wargear on the lvl2 vamp. The nightshroud is pretty expensive for a hero vamp, I think a sword of strife would be a better choice for the same points. Then you could take an enchanted shield instead of the biting blade.

Why are you using shadow on the lvl2 vamp?

mr_gosh_the_return
17-02-2013, 08:52
@lordcypress. My plan is to drop some zombies when i have more ghouls assembled as i love the strigoi theme, and 25 seems excessive for a bunker. Do you think that would be worth doing or should i just have one huge core unit and a bunker?

@MooseGreen: That sounds like a good idea. I was gonna go with shadow for the hexes though death was pretty sweet too, i figured on hexing the skeletons opponents and augmenting the skeletons as they need it most, also it means i can move the vampires between units in the magic phase.

MooseGreen
17-02-2013, 15:23
The way you have equiped your ghoul king has created point redundancies. The King comes with regen, hatred and poison and those abilities are factored into has cost (bigtime). By giving him a magic weapon you lose poison, the ward save cannot be used with regen, and quick blood, though better than hatred, does almost the same thing.

Assuming you want to keep the ghoul king, consider dropping the ogre blade for a potion of strength and ditch quickblood. That should free up enough points to take the cursed book. That way you get potential access to the best hex spells from shadow and death and still have 3 characters using the lore of vampires.

DaemonsRage
17-02-2013, 15:51
I took liberty and cut and added to the list to the point you may not like it. But the ghouls will be more effective this way I think, and you get more bang for the core points requirements.

This way you have a 3 combat unit frontline, Ghouls, Horrors, Ghouls. Horde up the ghouls.
Run zombie bunker and mortis enging right behind them (you can place Mortis eng behind horrors to hopefully meatshield it from cannon fire), close enough for regen bonus and aura that hits opponent's troops and close enough for Necro to touch more than one unit when raising. Blaspehmous tome will help your lv 2 get spells off.

VC 2K (1998pts)

Lords (425pts)

Strigoi Ghoul King (425pts)

Quickblood, Red Fury, Wizard Level 1
Magic Items (85pts) Ogre Blade, Talisman of Preservation

Heroes (125pts)

Necromancer (125pts) Lore of the Vampires, Wizard Level 2 (35pts)

Magic Items (25pts) Dispel Scroll

Core (805pts)

Crypt Ghouls (360pts) 36x Crypt Ghoul (360pts)
Crypt Ghouls (360pts) 36x Crypt Ghoul (360pts)
Zombies (85pts) Musician, Standard Bearer, 25x Zombie (75pts)

Special (228pts)

Crypt Horrors (228pts) 6x Crypt Horror

Rare (415pts)

Mortis Engine (240pts) Blasphemous Tome (20pts)
Varghluf (175pts)

MooseGreen
17-02-2013, 21:03
I'm not going to comment on the above post as changing your list to include models you probably don't own is not very helpful for a game this wed.

If you like the hexes from shadow and death, i would consider taking the cursed book. You get the best hexes from shadow and death without taking the risk of using the lore. You could free up points by either dropping the extra lvl from the hero vamp or losing quickblood, the king already has infinite hatred.

mr_gosh_the_return
17-02-2013, 23:02
Can't believe i didn't think of taking cursed book! Thanks for reminding me of that one.

DaemonsRage
17-02-2013, 23:38
I'm not going to comment on the above post as changing your list to include models you probably don't own is not very helpful for a game this wed.

If you like the hexes from shadow and death, i would consider taking the cursed book. You get the best hexes from shadow and death without taking the risk of using the lore. You could free up points by either dropping the extra lvl from the hero vamp or losing quickblood, the king already has infinite hatred.

that may be true, but good luck winning any games running 20 ghouls and 35 skeles as your main combat units, imo.

I did add a disclaimer first line..

Its Warhammer staff, they should be perfectly fine with you proxying a few things, might even help them make a few sales, after the game...

mr_gosh_the_return
18-02-2013, 07:40
Sadly my gw store don't allow proxying. Also it seems that going core heavy depletes the stronger specials section. I could drop the ghouls totally and increase the zombies (i have the models to do that) but sadly i do need more ghouls when i can afford. I also don't have a mortis engine, but could drop some crypt horrors and a vargulf for a terrorgheist.

To be honest, the list DaemonsRage wrote would be similar to what I'd take if i had the models, though i would include more crypt horrors as i feel that i would still avoid more than 500pts of core. Sadly though i can't afford 3 boxes of ghouls before Wednesday.

mr_gosh_the_return
20-02-2013, 15:35
Just to let everyone know, lost. played a lizardmen army and he had lore of light. It stung a little. I got picked off a lot by poison attacks and lore of light spells as I advanced, so I reached the opponent peicemeal to be destroyed by a stegadon and 30 saurus warriors. I have learned the following though.

1) The ghouls were the last unit to die and did well, I will be purchasing more of them ASAP.

2) Vargheists and Crypt horrors did nothing this game really. when vargheists perform they are amazing, when the don't they really do die quickly.

3) I missed my terrorgheist!

4) Again the vargulfs were useless. They may need to go.

5) don't ignore skermishers. Kill them with fast stuff.

Overall the army lacks a "hammer" unit. while both the ghouls and crypt horrors can take damage, they aren't good at dishing out damage. I think the army needs my grave guard back with a good banner in it. Possibly two (hmmm flaming S6 attacks with +1 to hit?)

Revised list:

Ghoul King- , ogre blade, potion of foolhardiness quick blood, red fury

Vampire - heavy armour, enchanted shield, quickblood, sword of might, seeds of rebirth

necromancer - +1 level,

30 zombies (contains necromancer)

40 Ghouls, ghast (contains ghoul king and vampire)

9 crypt horrors

1 Terrorgheist

1 Terrorgheist

All casters have lore of vampires.

Still not sure it's got enough hammer units in it but I'd like to know if its a stronger list before i invest in another terrorgheist, box of horrors and 2 boxes of ghouls.