PDA

View Full Version : Failed Initiates

TheDungen
17-02-2013, 18:52
Lo folks, what do we have on failed space marine initiates? How likely is it that they die, i know many of them are turned into servitors, is it the only possibility or could they just go on as humans, do they mutate?
and so on

Surgency
18-02-2013, 00:08
A lot of them do die, those that don't usually end up in servitor form (if their injuries are to grievous or they did something real bad), or they become human or half human serfs to the chapter, and continue to serve the chapter until they die

Inquisitor Aaron
18-02-2013, 07:14
Most failed aspirants do die. But those that do live often times go on to serve the chapter until the death. Be it in the from of a servitor or a serf.

blackcherry
18-02-2013, 07:30
The exception I think you are looking for TheDungeon is space wolves. In the Ragnar books, failed aspirants who can't control the changes brought on implantation become steadily more feral and beast like until they are released into the wilderness of Fenrus to die.

TheDungen
18-02-2013, 10:56
But those that become serfs can pass for ordinary humans?

Bob Arctor
18-02-2013, 11:52
Depends how many implants they have had and at what stage of the process they were rejected. Since one of the first implants is the muscle growth one I imagine they could only pass for human if they had been rejected almost stright away.

angelismortis
18-02-2013, 17:32
If I remember correctly a serf of the main character in Legion of the Damned was a failed aspirant. He was heavily muscled, but that had more to do with his job than due to implants. His father and sister were also serfs, so maybe there was a different screening process. The book didn't really cover that.

Hell's Angel
18-02-2013, 21:42
SISTER? That would break the homoerotic sausage-fest that is the Legion Astartes (would it not)..? Sacrilege! Everyone knows that a marine can resist chaos, but not the nubile temptation of woman-flesh. :confused:

angelismortis
18-02-2013, 22:11
SISTER? That would break the homoerotic sausage-fest that is the Legion Astartes (would it not)..? Sacrilege! Everyone knows that a marine can resist chaos, but not the nubile temptation of woman-flesh. :confused:

The mom wasn't even mentioned. Guess they didn't want to over do it.

sweave
19-02-2013, 02:37
haven't read that book yet but not all chapter serfs are failed aspirants.

Inquisitor Aaron
19-02-2013, 03:33
This would make sense. I mean chapters need workers, and they can't all just be failed aspirants and servitors. Voluntary or in-voluntary laborers would be common place I would think. This would explain the fact things like families and women being found within a chapters workforce.

CULCHAIN
19-02-2013, 03:46
Imagine punching in to work at that job.

angelismortis
19-02-2013, 09:43
haven't read that book yet but not all chapter serfs are failed aspirants.

All serfs weren't presented as such in Legion of the Damned and even with the one serf where it was mentioned it wasn't that big a part of the story.