PDA

View Full Version : Seventh Retribution - Impresial Fists novel

M'ichal
19-02-2013, 15:26
Imperial Fists finally getting some love in August:

http://www.amazon.ca/Seventh-Retribution-Ben-Counter/dp/1849704783/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361290839&sr=8-1

Horus Lupercal
19-02-2013, 16:00
Hummm.

Well I have read the soul drinkers series and his grey knights books and they seemed ok to me so here is hoping this one continues the trend!

HereticHammer01
20-02-2013, 13:42
some imperial fists love will be nice, I like the look of this

shadowhawk2008
20-02-2013, 16:37
I'm excited for this one since I liked what Ben Counter did with Lysander in Endeavour of Will, the Architect of Fate novella, and while he has been inconsistent quite often, his recent work has been quite good.

And, anything will be better than the terribleness that was Chris Roberson's Sons of Dorn.

emperor0
20-02-2013, 16:48
Pity about Battle for the Abyss one of the worst books I've ever read for BL, I like some of his other stuff but that book was just awful. Battle for the Abyss is up there with Sons of Dorn in my opinion as one one of the worst BL books that they have published.

MiyamatoMusashi
20-02-2013, 16:53
anything will be better than the terribleness that was Chris Roberson's Sons of Dorn.

Amen brother.

Xisor
20-02-2013, 17:20
and while he has been inconsistent quite often, his recent work has been quite good.

As I seem to be the only one reading it yet, his Fantasy foray in Van Horstmann is shaping up very nicely too.

Xisor
20-02-2013, 17:20
and while he has been inconsistent quite often, his recent work has been quite good.

As I seem to be the only one reading it yet, his Fantasy foray in Van Horstmann is shaping up very nicely too.

Goosey_J
22-02-2013, 15:34
I'm going to get this, against my better judgement. This, in my eyes, is Counter's chance to redeem himself for his failures, and change my opinion on him. I love the IFs, they've been my favourite legion for a long time, and Darnath Lysander is one complete bad ass of a marine and someone I'd love to read more about.

So bring it on. Counter, make me proud.

MajorWesJanson
23-02-2013, 08:36
One of these decades the Imperial Fists will finally get the decent book they deserve, after Space Marine and Sons of Dorn...

Freak Ona Leash
25-02-2013, 03:14
One of these decades the Imperial Fists will finally get the decent book they deserve, after Space Marine and Sons of Dorn...

Space Marine is a beautiful book, ass tattoos be damned!

MajorWesJanson
25-02-2013, 06:20
Space Marine is a beautiful book, ass tattoos be damned!

It does produce beautiful flames when given the attention it deserves :D

Wyrmwood
25-02-2013, 11:48
It does produce beautiful flames when given the attention it deserves :D
Heresy... :mad:

MajorWesJanson
27-02-2013, 14:31
Huh. So this book and Malodrax are two separate books, both involving Lysander, both by Counter, and both involving his capture as a background. For a while, based on descriptions, I was thinking they were the same book, but it appears there is this one, and the other is part of the SMB series.

M'ichal
01-03-2013, 17:39
Huh. So this book and Malodrax are two separate books, both involving Lysander, both by Counter, and both involving his capture as a background. For a while, based on descriptions, I was thinking they were the same book, but it appears there is this one, and the other is part of the SMB series.

It might be two different world the descriptions refer to. In one, it's the world he escaped from and goes back to exact revenge, in the other it's a different demon world, which reminds him of Malodrax.

But yeah, kinda weird especially that it's by the same author. I'm sure they will complement each other or cover different events, it's the only way it makes sense.

Fen
03-03-2013, 01:24
Well,if Endeavour of will is to be taken as a hint,quite more than what was expected from C:SM happened on Malodrax

Anyway,my guessing is that 7th will use it all just as backgrund and character motivation (pretty much like EoW did)

While in Malodrax he'll get to actually tell the story of the capture/escape/vengeance (it's a space marine battle book after all),so they both have their place

anything will be better than the terribleness that was Chris Roberson's Sons of Dorn.
We can only hope... (but still makes for a good drinking game: take a shot every time someone picks up a sword in a 2-handed grip or some variation of that)

Fen
22-04-2013, 08:33
Up we go

The e-book version just became avaiable.

Curse them,now there is no way i'll be able to wait 4 months for the printed one...

Dean5150
22-04-2013, 09:11
Just bough the ebook....will post about later.

Anakwanar
22-04-2013, 12:41
Very strange book indeed - first 50 pages make me thinking if i want to read more - de javu with Van Hortsmann again

Fen
22-04-2013, 15:37
Oh god,the blog entry for today on the BL site :D

MiyamatoMusashi
23-04-2013, 07:35
The one about being a tongue-in-cheek apology for killing so many Imperial Fists?

How about they just make a public apology for printing Sons of Dorn and have done with it.

shadowhawk2008
23-04-2013, 11:09
I'd be fine with that!

Fen
23-04-2013, 13:20
I feel they should apologize for forcing the author to write a carbon-copy of Watson Space Marine updated to modern fluff level

The main problems with that book came from that single thing

Anyway,i'll be unable to buy 7th for a few more days,i expect someone to tell me if it's good or not before that

Not that it will change anything,i'll buy it regardless i guess :p

shadowhawk2008
23-04-2013, 15:44
Forcing the author to write? That's really not how this works...

MiyamatoMusashi
23-04-2013, 16:47
A carbon-copy of something is as good as the original in all but cosmetic aspects.

I don't suppose you can call Sons of Dorn a "rip-off" as it was published by the same company, so I guess that makes it a "homage"; but it was inferior in every possible way I can think of, not only to the original Ian Watson book, but inferior to almost everything else BL have published before or since, either.

Fen
23-04-2013, 16:55
Forcing the author to write? That's really not how this works...

Should have air-quoted it i guess ;)

I don't suppose you can call Sons of Dorn a "rip-off" as it was published by the same company, so I guess that makes it a "homage"; but it was inferior in every possible way I can think of, not only to the original Ian Watson book, but inferior to almost everything else BL have published before or since, either.
Oh,i'm not arguing with that.I sadly own it and i find it as bad as anyone else on this planet does

DarkChaplain
24-04-2013, 01:58
I kinda chuckled on this line of the blog post apology:

It has been commented upon more than once that we here at Black Library don’t always treat the sons of Dorn with the respect deserving of a First Founding Legion.

While they mentioned a lot of IF or successor stories in that post, and linked to product pages, they apparently didn't dare linking to Sons of Dorn in that line. Looks like BL themselves felt that it wouldn't be right to do so

I had mixed feelings about Endeavour of Will in Architect of Fate, mainly due to the story not tying into a Tzeentch-theme and having some consistency issues - but I found Ben's Lysander interesting, and the parts about Malodrax were intriguing. So, all in all, I am happy with Seventh Retribution and Malodrax coming up this year.

Valrak
29-04-2013, 02:06
Anyone got any indepth Spoilers?

Anakwanar
29-04-2013, 07:44
Its like Van Hortsmann - or you liked it after 50 pages -or you dont. In my case iam at page 40 - still deciding - read it to the end or skip the book :D

dram
04-05-2013, 06:53
I had mixed feelings about Endeavour of Will in Architect of Fate, mainly due to the story not tying into a Tzeentch-theme and having some consistency issues - but I found Ben's Lysander interesting, and the parts about Malodrax were intriguing. So, all in all, I am happy with Seventh Retribution and Malodrax coming up this year.

I liked the story, but that really stuck out. I kept waiting for it to tie into the previous stories, then I got to the ending and still nothing.

DarkChaplain
04-05-2013, 16:35
Its like Van Hortsmann - or you liked it after 50 pages -or you dont. In my case iam at page 40 - still deciding - read it to the end or skip the book :D

I wonder how you'd be able to judge Van Horstmann based on the first 50 pages. At that point, you are just in Chapter Two, and iirc, page 49 was the first time Van Horstmann actually introduced himself by name, and on 50, he enters the College of Light for the first time. At that point, you have seen nothing of the story waiting to be told. Heck, Chapter One starts on page 33, that's how long the prologue is! The actual plot of the novel gets going after the first two or even three chapters, and gains momentum the farther you come.
Dismissing it after mere 50 pages is, pardon me, mindbogglingly dumb.

Nevermind my confusion regarding page numbers in the case of Seventh Retribution. Depending on my PC reader's settings, the amount of pages ranges from around 100 to 600, and that is not including font sizes. Considering the book has not been released as a paperback version yet, I would find it difficult to pass judgement based on arbitrary page numbers.

Fen
07-05-2013, 14:45
Just managed to buy it

*Cross fingers*

Chapter 2 open with an IF emperor champion.This is a good thing.....

Fen
07-05-2013, 18:55
42% into it (or at least that's what my kindle is saying).

So far,it's good.

Not as focussed as i expected (it's a multi-point of view book up to this point,like Purging of Kadillus) and Lysander has been mostly on the sidelines

The story isn't that bad,even if i might have caught the big twist already from a few hints that are dropped here and there...Must see if my idea will turn out right :D

Fen
08-05-2013, 12:41
Finished

Good one.Just,don't expect it to be as much of a Lysander focussed story as Endeavour of will was

And yes,i got the twist right :D

Captain Marius
07-09-2013, 06:36
Just finished this one, took a while to get into but once the twist hit I couldn't put it down! Great villains, great big bad, great play on the title of the book. Not enough Imperial Fist and Lysander characterisation until near the end, but when they do become the focus it's very rewarding. I am curious how this ties in to Endeavour of Will and the upcoming Malodrax - if Counter can link them altogether in a satisfying way Lysander may become one of my favourite Space Marine characters.

Bobske
15-10-2013, 18:14
I haven't posted here for a long time but I have to get this out of my system.
I borrowed this book from a friend because I do not buy Ben Counter books anymore.
I haven't finished it yet. I wrestling to get through the last 50 pages

One of the worst 40k books I've read in a long time.
-too many characters
-no character development
-very flat characters without any motivation or explanations
- a complete weird and illogical storyarc (why make up new things in a rich and varied 40k universe?)
-uninspired fighting scenes
- strange names fo tanks and people (SPOILER: Imperial Fist Beast of Mardon, Bonecracker ar Granitefang?? are these chaos tanks or Orks, perhaps even Space Wolves but Imperial Fists?)

In short, I was never picking up a Ben Counter novel again and am now asbsolutely convinced that I'm right to do so.
Sorry Ben, it isn't personal I just do not like your writing styel and the way you portray the 40k universe

Rant over

FlashGordon
21-10-2013, 18:53
Strange i flew right through it. And i loved it for all those reasons. :)