PDA

View Full Version : The Minor Races of 40K

Sandrios
20-02-2013, 15:14
One of Games Workshop's problems is that they have lots of armies but they don't talk much of the minor races. In this thread you can post ideas for a race and maybe games workshop could make new models based on these if they are good enough. Or if we are lucky enough they could create a completely new army of independent minor races. Please stick ideas for races and their soldiers here and then I might post one myself.

Zothos
20-02-2013, 16:38
The Tau are a confederation of minor races.

Would be great to see a new faction. I am sure however that we will see the same rehashed power armor books again and again.

40K needs more Xenos dammit!

Cthell
20-02-2013, 16:47
Well, there are the races mentioned in Xenology - the high-tech slugs, the mind-controlled insects, the Umbra (There would be a fantastic opportunity for sculptors), the Hrud...

Voss
20-02-2013, 17:26
One of Games Workshop's problems is that they have lots of armies but they don't talk much of the minor races. In this thread you can post ideas for a race and maybe games workshop could make new models based on these if they are good enough. Or if we are lucky enough they could create a completely new army of independent minor races. Please stick ideas for races and their soldiers here and then I might post one myself.
When 6th came out, there was a lot of talk (by players) about the possibility of ally contingents for minor races. So far this has not materialized.
Anyway, the 4th and 5th edition rulebooks had several minor races that could easily be done:
Slann
Tarellian Dog Soldiers
Clawed fiends
Hrud
Demiurg

well, actually, here:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Category:Minor_Alien_Species_and_Factions#.USUVpo5 ImgQ
and here:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_sentient_species#.USUWCI5ImgQ

Starchild
20-02-2013, 17:41
Where's TimLeeson when you need him? :skull: He can tell us all there is to know about the Enslavers. That is, the Enslaver background before Mat Ward sucked all of Andy Chambers' cosmic horror out of the Necrons with his silly tomb kings codex.

Sandrios
20-02-2013, 17:42
If we can create ideas then maybe Games Workshop can make them, but that needs research.

Grndhog89
20-02-2013, 17:45
Someone correct me if I am wrong........but didn't Tarellian Dog Soldiers actually have rules back in 2nd ed 40k?

Sandrios
20-02-2013, 18:07
We are in 6th ed at the moment.

Hengist
20-02-2013, 18:57
Someone correct me if I am wrong........but didn't Tarellian Dog Soldiers actually have rules back in 2nd ed 40k?

Not that I recall, unless it was as part of some zany WD article I've forgotten.

Lord Damocles
20-02-2013, 19:09
Where's TimLeeson when you need him? :skull: He can tell us all there is to know about the Enslavers. That is, the Enslaver background before Mat Ward sucked all of Andy Chambers' cosmic horror out of the Necrons with his silly tomb kings codex.
The Enslavers have (and always have had) vastly more background outside of Codexes (Necron or otherwise) than within them.

Nothing about them needs to have changed.

Clawed fiends
Codex: Dark Eldar already has them covered :yes:

MajorWesJanson
21-02-2013, 01:30
Codex: Dark Eldar added a bunch of lesser races either as beastmaster pets or Archon retinues.

I want to see Ambulls come back.

BrotherCaptainS
21-02-2013, 06:15
bring back the Creature Feature! carnosaurs and megasaurs were awesome. Hunting beasts were pretty cool. rough riders with the dino mounts. creature creator and all the little scenarios were awesome. bring it back. i still ha e that white dwarf issue.

Sir_Turalyon
21-02-2013, 10:08
My personal pet new race idea is a alternative (to Necrons) approach to undead in 40k, an enclave of immortalised Dark Age of Technology human mutants still fighting the wars that started the Age of Strife. Think Necromunda Scavies capable of mass producing power armour :), or human equivalent of Crone World Eldar.

As you may recall, the old human civilisation was destroyed due to warp storms / psyker outbreak and wars between human goverments using weapons of mass destruction. Well, one of the goverments did survive by application of excessive genetic modifications to it's population, but they lost most of their humanity along the way, along with ability to procreate and to die of old age. The faction consists mostly of 15000 years old militarised mutants, senile, set in their ways, seeing all normal humans as descendants of their enemies and dedicated to winning the war no one but them remembers. They do it for so long they no longer question why they fight or what would they do if they won, they refuse to admit that the DAoT civilisation can't be restored and current age is anything but temporary crisis and they still regard the galaxy with the same arrogant optimism that first let humans colonize it, then led them to destruction. The goverment still maintains it's technological base from the DAoT, including what may be a functioning STC unit. Their technology hasn't changed much (due to most of sciencists being millenia old and unlikely to welcome radically new ideas), but they still have most of knowledge the Imperium never rediscovered; this mostly allows them to compensate for the fact that keeping their aged, mutated bodies as fit as, say Imperial Guardsmen, is more difficult with each passing century.

Aesthethically, I see them as a combination of body horror (Vampire Counts/Scavy/Muti riders -style combined with extensive bionics) contrasted with sharp, flashy, high tech equipment (everything Space Marines have - except power armour but including neural interfaces as found in Dreadnoughts - is baseline) and signs of military discipline (badges, standards, little personalisation of equipment contrasted with huge ...personalisation... of bodies). Add in vehicles that look like streamlined, "done right" cousins of Imperial ones and, uh, think of some playing style....

Sotek
21-02-2013, 16:18
I want Hrud ;=

I was also thinking for tau allies - 'counts as' eldar - some sort of mind-flayer type thing as a farseer and some sort of hrud auxillaries as the madatory sniper squad.

Tastyfish
21-02-2013, 18:12
Definitely a lot of potential with counts as units. With GW being a bit more careful about having units without models in codexs, there's a nice window for the various smaller companies to make units for the minor races with a "counts as" suggestion that could eventually even lead to them doing their own game like Mantic did if they're particularly popular.

Sandrios
21-02-2013, 20:27
Thanks for the feedback, any more ideas?

Calcabrina
21-02-2013, 23:13
Games Workshop doesn't really do what you're expecting them to do with this thread. I think you vastly overestimate how involved they are with community sites beyond issuing 'cease and desist' orders.

Independent third-party sculptors are a different thing entirely, however.

JWhex
22-02-2013, 02:25
Gw does not provide timely updates for the current xeno races so I really doubt that they will produce any new races in the foreseeable future. I would certainly like for there to be more minor races and the allies rules certainly open the door for implementing smallish releases of models to support a minor race but I just dont see it happening.

Plague Lord
22-02-2013, 06:41
It would be really nice for the tau to have at least 2 new races in their codex to be used as auxillaries. Keep the 1+ on firewarriors and crisis suits and then let them choose from a plephora of xenos. Would be great to fight against on the tabletop

MajorWesJanson
22-02-2013, 08:20
It would be really nice for the tau to have at least 2 new races in their codex to be used as auxillaries. Keep the 1+ on firewarriors and crisis suits and then let them choose from a plephora of xenos. Would be great to fight against on the tabletop

Or avoid the whole auxiliaries route, and go the De route- a retinue for say Etherials of various races. Say 0-5 Gue'vesa humans, 0-3 Demiurg, 0-2 Nicassar, 0-3 new race.

Godzooky
22-02-2013, 09:11
Space Manatees.

Leogun_91
22-02-2013, 10:19
Rouge Traders Rak'Ghoul

They are horrible mysterious evil aliens which fits well enough and the fact that they are all ogryn+ in size means they could fill the niche of a medium size monster army (yes I know you can play that with Tyranids but they are hardly made to be played that way), a niche that worked well in WFB when ogres filled it, giving such a generous nod to the 40k roleplayers is also a good business idea as I now know people who care more about the RPG fluff and rules than the 40k tabletop fluff and rules and such a nod (as well as some Stormwarden characters and models next marine codex) will speak to them.

BigbyWolf
24-02-2013, 10:48
Space Manatees.

Only if they breathe fire.

That does sound familiar though, wasn't someone on here developing a codex based around a similar idea?

TimLeeson
24-02-2013, 13:44

I don't really involve myself in 40k anymore as I am busy developing my own extra-dimensional/pure non-humanoid alien wargame so I don't really have the time for 40k stuff anymore sadly.

PierceC
27-02-2013, 11:36
Codex: Dark Eldar added a bunch of lesser races either as beastmaster pets or Archon retinues.

I want to see Ambulls come back.

At one point the Ambull was the most feared animal in the 40K universe! Imagine that...how much has changed!
I still have my Ambull model!

But back on topic, with the start of the Horus Heresy novels GW really had a chance to at least bring to light some of these lesser races or build up a little background around some of the races that were encountered during the Great Crusade, but they didn't! Despite having fluff already from Black Library I am guessing the only real interest was forwarding FW's space marine line.

Its a real shame as has been mentioned they really dropped an opportunity with Tau. The 2nd codex in we have 2 other modelled species, the Vespid and Kroot and that's it.

It would be interesting to see how well the DE retinue and FA models have sold and see if more character (or single-model) inclusion of races is the future. Personally I don't like the fact the Jokaero model was made considering where they sit within the 1st Ed. fluff, but I guess it could be a trend of bringing individual models out to represent different races.

I am really surprised no one has asked for more Loxatl. I remember that someone had modelled one between 4-5th edition I think and it may have appeared at a Gamesday but it was an amazing model, more then enough for GW to build upon for at least a small mercenary unit.

Grndhog89
28-02-2013, 22:48
Ambull model you say? Can you put up a pic? I've never seen one.

childsoldier
28-02-2013, 23:41
Ambull model you say? Can you put up a pic? I've never seen one.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ambull#.US_4NaK-2So

Never heard of an Ambull before, apparently this is what they look like. I'd love to see more minor races expanded upon and given models. Have heard talk of an Allies supplement in the Rumours forum, seems like this would be an ideal opportunity to release a wave of gribbly mercenary aliens if it were true!