PDA

View Full Version : Starship Troopers Enquiry

Noserenda
22-05-2006, 14:16
Now ive seen a fair bit of the Starship troopers stock in at my LGS but never been particularly tempted by the ugly marines and skinnies, although the bugs were quite cool, and a few people have them locally.

But that all changed with the powersuits :D Despite the bad packaging seeing the PIccie of Cougars online, and their cousins the Grizzlies im very tempted to pick a few up... However my LGS doesent have open copies of the Codex equivalents!

Can you do an entire powersuit army? Or possibly one backed up by Pathfinders and a couple of walkers?

Im not asking for details, but I have no idea of the army picking system, and if im forced to buy a couple of crappy infantry squads ill not bother :(

And on a side note how well is the game doing? While ive not regreted a Khador army for warmachine, my Void and Confrontation figs just sit there gathering dust, and id like to avoid another turkey :skull:

Sephiroth
22-05-2006, 14:33
Can you do an entire powersuit army? Or possibly one backed up by Pathfinders and a couple of walkers?

I could be wrong, as I don't have a copy of the Mobile Infantry army book either, but to my understanding of browsing the Mongoose Starship Troopers forums, you can indeed have an army consisting entirely of 'Heavy' Powersuits.

And against Bugs, whom outnumber the regular power armoured infantry, you can imagine just how large that Bug horde will be.

Still, the kind of odds legends are made of! :D

N0-1_H3r3
22-05-2006, 14:50
Well, technically, unless it's a Light Armour Mobile Infantry army, any MI force is an all powersuit army.

That said, each of the main types of unit (Cap Troopers, Light Armour MI, Marauders, Pathfinders and Exosuits) are all bought at the Platoon level - though Marauders can be bought as upgrades for Cap Trooper squads as well. An army consists of up to one platoon (plus support elements) per 1,000 points, though it's quite easy to spend several thousand points on a single PL3 Cap Trooper platoon, if you're so inclined.

Thus, an all-Exosuit (M4A1 'Cougar' and M4A2 'Grizzly') army is entirely possible. As is an all Marauder army, consisting entirely of M8 'Ape' and M9 'Chickenhawk' Marauder powersuits.

Noserenda
22-05-2006, 15:14
Cool, thanks for the replies guys.

So as i understand it, you buy a platoon of a certain troop type per 1000pts, and then upgrade that and add additional units to taste.

Whats the average game size? Im thinking 2000pts.

Im thinking of an Exo Suit Platoon of Doom backed up by a modest Pathfinder contingent (I love their helmets). Models that cool cant fail to effective :D

N0-1_H3r3
22-05-2006, 15:49

So as i understand it, you buy a platoon of a certain troop type per 1000pts, and then upgrade that and add additional units to taste.

Im thinking of an Exo Suit Platoon of Doom backed up by a modest Pathfinder contingent (I love their helmets). Models that cool cant fail to effective :D
AFAIK, 2,000 points is average, though a 6 by 4 board can happily accomodate up to 6,000 points, in my experience (and 6,000 points of even Mobile Infantry Cap Troopers is relatively small, if well-equipped).

I also wouldn't ignore fleet assets - Starship Troopers benefit from an, IMO, very cool set of air/fleet rules, which allow you to benefit from passing fighters, orbital missiles, M2 Drop Capsules (the single-man drop pods seen in the Roughnecks animated series) or dropships.

Regardless, you'll be outnumbered by around 5 to 1 - a relatively conservative MI Cap Troopers 2000pt force (At PL2, with a few Marauders in support) might number only about 30-40 men, while a similar Arachnid force will likely number three times that. Given the increased expensive of Pathfinders and Exosuits compared to Cap Troopers, you'll find yourself heavily outnumbered almost constantly.

Crazy Harborc
22-05-2006, 18:55
Over all SsT is as good or better than a "certain" other Scifi wargame...IMHO. Good minies, rules that are a little easier to follow/understand/figure out.

From what I understand, Mongoose HELPED the people at Army Builder get their game files up and working on AB. That speaks well for the positive "help the gamers play attitude" of the companie's leaders at Mongoose.

Voracioustigger
22-05-2006, 20:37

The average game size is indeed 2000pts. It's the perfect sized game for a 4x6 table. Any smaller point game favors the MI and any larger game favors the bugs.

Exo's and pathfinders could be fun.

How is the game doing?

Pretty well IMHO. There are some issues with models that are keeping people from playing the game, but I have yet to hear a single person say that they didn't like the game because of the rules, which should say something. I'd say my gaming group was at about 6-8 players when SST came out and we've been gaining 1-2 players a month.

WSPatterson
23-05-2006, 03:21
I think about 2000 points of exosuits would be around 18ish guys. You will be mightily outnumbered by the bugs. Good things the exosuits have really big fly swatters. :chrome:

bladestalker
27-05-2006, 00:32
the grizzlies are a wonderful looking model. makes me want to pick some up.

boogle
27-05-2006, 20:37
Hmm, might have to get this game later on this summer and finally get into it