PDA

View Full Version : Thousand Sons - Does non-Rubric Marines still exist???

fred953d
28-02-2013, 20:28
So in my quest on exploring the 40k universe, I am looking into Chaos Space Marines, specifically Thousand Sons. Now, I think I've got the basics; getting corrupted, Ahriman's Rubric and so on. But after that are there still non-Rubric Thousand Sons, for example if I were to wanna play CSM would it be fluff wise correctly to paint normal troop CSM Thousand Son Theme?

Wyrmwood
28-02-2013, 20:30
The only Thousand Sons who are not Rubrics are also Sorcerers. That said, with a bit of imagination, I'm sure you could come up with some ideas to explain mortal non-sorcerer Thousand Sons. ;)

Fangschrecken
28-02-2013, 20:42
There's no real reason the 1k sons who didnt become rubrics used thier geneseed to grow the legion. Now they might prefer to only accept psykers, or they might have some sort of curse that turns new applicants into rubrics, but neither has been stated in the fluff.

An aside: since the blood ravens have been stated to be loyalist thousand sons, it would seem like there is no curse on the geneseed. Unless ofcourse the curse only affected those who were on the planet of the sorcerers when the rubric was invoked. Now most 1k sons were with magnus on prospero and were teleported to the planet of the sorcerers, but not all of them were.

Wyrmwood
28-02-2013, 20:53
There's no real reason the 1k sons who didnt become rubrics used thier geneseed to grow the legion. Now they might prefer to only accept psykers, or they might have some sort of curse that turns new applicants into rubrics, but neither has been stated in the fluff.
What geneseed? The Rubric Marines are, well, dust; as for the Sorcerers, it is possible - if someone were to collect their geneseed.

An aside: since the blood ravens have been stated to be loyalist thousand sons
That has been implied once or twice, but never stated.

Unless ofcourse the curse only affected those who were on the planet of the sorcerers when the rubric was invoked. Now most 1k sons were with magnus on prospero and were teleported to the planet of the sorcerers, but not all of them were.
Not all of them were, but the breadth of the effects of the Rubric are essentially up to interpretation.

MarshalFaust
28-02-2013, 21:46
In Ahriman: Exile
there are 2 renegade space marines from an unnamed chapter that pledge loyalty to ahriman and eventually one of them ends up wearing Thousand Sons livery by the end of the book. Also It seems Ahriman's Prodigal Sons warband consists of much more than just thousand sons legionaires. by the end of the novel he is in command of an entire fleet of renegades and traitors that have pledged their loyalty to him for many different reasons. They seem to be retconing Ahriman's backstory a little as now he is the one who changed the thousand sons he is in command of from red to blue and presumably those still loyal to magnus are wearing red.

Wyrmwood
28-02-2013, 21:54
there are 2 renegade space marines from an unnamed chapter that pledge loyalty to ahriman and eventually one of them ends up wearing Thousand Sons livery by the end of the book. Also It seems Ahriman's Prodigal Sons warband consists of much more than just thousand sons legionaires. by the end of the novel he is in command of an entire fleet of renegades and traitors that have pledged their loyalty to him for many different reasons. They seem to be retconing Ahriman's backstory a little as now he is the one who changed the thousand sons he is in command of from red to blue and presumably those still loyal to magnus are wearing red.
Ah, that's quite interesting; thank you, MarshalFaust.

MarshalFaust
28-02-2013, 22:05
I thought it was a very good read. I recommend it if you are at all interested in the Thousand Sons. Ahriman might be one of my favorite anti-heros in the setting.
it raises some very interesting implications about Ahriman's control over the the thousand sons because of the nature of his rubric. really looking forward to where they are going with the series.

bound for glory
28-02-2013, 22:18
damn ebooks...i love the thousand sons. but i hate ebooks. over priced nonsense.

Bonzai
28-02-2013, 22:29
Heh, I always speculated that the reason why the Blood Raven's past is lost, is that the chapter it's self erased all traces of it. Why? Because they were hit by the rubic as well.

However being devoute servants of the Emperor, they destroyed the abominations, then suppressed all knowledge of the event to hide the shame of their warp taint. Fast forward 10,000 years, and now the chapter is desparate to learn what they strove so hard to erase.

Just my conspiracy theory..

Inquisitor Engel
01-03-2013, 01:00

Very interesting and very cool.

m1acca1551
01-03-2013, 04:10
That would be awesome!!!

I currently run a blood raven company who in there thirst for knowledge have stumbled on information pertaining to there heritage, when presented to the chapter itself they were branded as fallen for believing in such heretical information, they were given an option of penitence or being declared as traitors. Promntly the company stole the information and fled to the warp where they hope to trace there heritage down and find out once and for all who there master truly is...

If the what the spoiler contains is continued and there indeed seems to be a factional divide, im one happy little space sorcerer nerd!!

Excessus
01-03-2013, 08:05
Speaking of geneseed, remember that the Thousand Sons apothecarys most likely were a part of the Pavoni temple, thus sorcerers in their own might...they would have survived the rubric with knowledge intact about how to extract and create new astartes as they did "back in the day"(especially Hathor Maat, who isn't killed off by BL yet)...

And Ahriman: Exile sounds EXTREMELY good, but...ebook? I don't have a platform to read it on... :cries: (<--why is that the saddest smiley, isn't there an even sadder one???)

blackcherry
01-03-2013, 11:21
Very interesting background information on Ahriman:Exile @MarshalFaust. Thanks for the share :).

Very interesting indeed and I would be interested to see how they join up that little revision with the 40K background we know.
Perhaps the only TS active in the galaxy today are those Ahriman signed up? The rest being kept in the eye and being rather inactive since Magnus retreated there?

jareddm3
01-03-2013, 15:15
And Ahriman: Exile sounds EXTREMELY good, but...ebook? I don't have a platform to read it on... :cries: (<--why is that the saddest smiley, isn't there an even sadder one???)
You can get eReader software for PC. It's not nearly as portable but at least you can read it.

I'm not too sure about the red vs blue being magnus vs ahriman. In Battle of the Fang, one of the Thousand Sons laments that the blue armor they wear now is overly gaudy and lacking in the sense of honor and pride that their red armor held for them..yet these Thousand Sons worked explicitly for Magnus, even muttering a damning word towards Ahriman.

MarshalFaust
01-03-2013, 16:29
I believe the hardback is coming out this summer, I think they just released the ebook early. also both chrome and firefox have epub readers so you can read them on your computer if you were so inclined.

Concerning red armor and the rubric:
It was only my inference that those loyal to magnus are still red and I could very well be wrong. We only see the change happen with the thousand sons who pledge loyalty to Ahriman at the end but the way in which the color change took place could very well have happened to all of the Thousand Sons everywhere. Basically at the end of the novel Ahriman is a prisoner of Amon who is assembling a large fleet of Thousand Sons and other renegades for some nefarious plot. Ahriman escapes with a little help from his friends and takes control. At the end Ahriman uses the Rubric to take control of all of the Rubricae on the ship and are engulfed in blue flame that burns off the red lacquer of their armor revealing a sapphire lacquer underneath. There are some sorcerers in his fleet that refuse to join Ahriman but we never see them again and ahriman just lets them leave. an interesting side note, Ahriman essentially learns that the Rubric gives him a degree of control over every thousand son. not just the rubrics. The effects of the rubric is present in the sorcerers as well but almost in like a dormant state "The Rubric runs through us all, linking us, sustaining us...and its power is in my hand".

we also get to see a really cool tidbit where a group of three Rubricae get torn up in close combat by a bound daemon. as they lay there sand leaks out of the cracks in their armor spilling onto the floor. after a few moments the sand is sucked back into the armor and the armor re-seals itself. the rubrics then stand back up and continue firing.

Rufiodies
01-03-2013, 17:42
I just read The Battle of the Fang, and in the novel, it describes that the Thousand Sons we're all ordered to change their armor color to Sapphire, this is some point after the rubric and after Ahriman was exiled from the Planet of Sorcerers.
Also, I had been under the impression that the Rubric made all the Psykers in the Thousand Sons immune to the "flesh change" but its remarked upon in the novel that the Rubric provided only a temporary fix along with permanent side effects (Rubric Marines)
On the up side, I know from previous fluff, from the Ragnar novels, that Rubric Marines souls can be re-summoned from the warp if they are in fact destroyed. This provides the Thousand Sons with an almost in-exhaustible supply of men provided they have enough suits of armor