PDA

View Full Version : Queek Headtaker help!

agurus1
05-03-2013, 06:30
Hey there! So I am building a skaven army and it just occurred to me that the warlord from the IoB set would make a perfect counts as Queek! I was wondering if/how any Skaven generals make use of Queek in your games? Also what's a general competitive look at Queek reveal? Is he worth his points?

Don Zeko
05-03-2013, 06:39
Like most special characters and most fighting characters, he is probably not worth his points. His killing power isn't anything to write home about when you consider how expensive he is, and with no ward save, a weak armor save, and T4, he'll die pretty quickly in combat. However, +1 WS and +1S stormvermin are much scarier than regular stormvermin, so he might still be worth it just to get superstormvermin.

agurus1
05-03-2013, 06:52
Yeah if I got him the super Stormvermin are definitely getting put in the list, I definitely get the "no ward save" thing. But at least he has a 3+ which isn't too bad for a warrior on for yes? And +1 to hit and to wound isn't bad especially when all of his attacks ignore armour saves

Asuryan's Spear
05-03-2013, 11:02
I personally run him with 40 of his storm vermin. go big or go home with these babies. WS5 S5 I5= yes please. they are expensive for skaven but your hardly gonna be light on bodies. i generally use mine as a mailed fist to smash through my enemy. there is not much that will stand up to 30 STr5 WS 5 attacks and cos of your high I you'll probably hit first. with queek i'd keep him in challenges as he can usually give you enough over kill to tip a combat although you need to look to avoid fighty lords like the plague even sending him to the back is a viable tactic if up against one of these.... that said his sheer weight of attacks should overwhelm any heroes and his super high I will protect from retaliation

Francis
05-03-2013, 11:59
Queek must always issue or accept a challenge in any combat he is a part of, so hiding him in the back is unfortunately not possible (From a fluff perspective Grey Seer Thanquol thinks that Queek is an utter maniac because of him always leading from the front, and seeing those two interact in the last Thanquol book was hilarious).

That said he can dish out a fair amount of damage and will kill most Human, Goblin and Skaven lords and most heroes as well without any problem. Against Saurus, Orcs, Dwarves and Ogre lords he got a shot due to his high Initiative and huge amount of Attacks as well as his special dueling rule and advantage against dwarves (wounds on 2+). Chaos lords, Elven lords and Vampires however will hit before him and unless you are very lucky Queek won't be able to hit back, stay away from these guys. Even Swordmaster Champions pose a threat to queek due to ASF. In general stay away from anybody with a combination of a higher initiative than 6 and a higher strength than 4.

Morax
05-03-2013, 12:56
Queek must always issue or accept a challenge in any combat he is a part of, so hiding him in the back is unfortunately not possible (From a fluff perspective Grey Seer Thanquol thinks that Queek is an utter maniac because of him always leading from the front, and seeing those two interact in the last Thanquol book was hilarious).

That said he can dish out a fair amount of damage and will kill most Human, Goblin and Skaven lords and most heroes as well without any problem. Against Saurus, Orcs, Dwarves and Ogre lords he got a shot due to his high Initiative and huge amount of Attacks as well as his special dueling rule and advantage against dwarves (wounds on 2+). Chaos lords, Elven lords and Vampires however will hit before him and unless you are very lucky Queek won't be able to hit back, stay away from these guys. Even Swordmaster Champions pose a threat to queek due to ASF. In general stay away from anybody with a combination of a higher initiative than 6 and a higher strength than 4.

Spot on about targets Queek needs to stay away from. ASF is the biggest threat to Queek and just about everyone can take a 25 point magic item to give them ASF. Makes him a bit of a liability. Where he shines is his storm vermin. WS 5 Init 5 Str 5 Mv 5 is a crazy profile for the points you spend. Go big or go home is the right attitude here and thats why I also will throw in an engineer with the skaven brew. For a measly 65 points, this unit becomes a killing machine, boasting as many as 3 attacks per model. Combined with the rest of the profile, these guys can take on just about any elite infantry unit in the game. Against core units (other than chaos warriors which are just elite infantry anyway) they will shred them to pieces before they get a chance to realize what trouble they are in. That, with a full compliment of command models and the stormbanner, they fill up my core requirement is just gravy.

theunwantedbeing
05-03-2013, 13:37
Spot on about targets Queek needs to stay away from. ASF is the biggest threat to Queek and just about everyone can take a 25 point magic item to give them ASF. Makes him a bit of a liability.

The bigger danger is that potion of speed IMHO, as it means you can not only fight before him but also have the hitting power necessary to put him down.

I'de always advise getting death frenzy cast on his unit. (take a horde of at least 40)
D6 wounds a turn is a tiny loss compared to almost doubling the combat ability of the unit.
Magical support is necessary if he's going to go toe to toe with anything like a Chaos lord though, although he should still steer well clear of anything like that that'll fight before him as he will not live through it.

Asuryan's Spear
05-03-2013, 18:04
Against core units (other than chaos warriors which are just elite infantry anyway) they will shred them to pieces before they get a chance to realize what trouble they are in. That, with a full compliment of command models and the stormbanner, they fill up my core requirement is just gravy.
If you see alot of WOC as i do try and give them the razor standard... -3 to armour save can really sort out even the highest armour saves these guys can cheerfully even take on cavalry as the -3 really throws a spanner in what are, lets face it, expensive troops and all probably before they hit you back

agurus1
05-03-2013, 22:37
according to the FAQ Queek can auto-wound if he already needs 2+ to wound (and then add in the +1 for the trophy rack) so Dwarfs' seem to be screwed lol, however combining his prowess with a Grey Seer with Wither, and Queek's stormvermin sounds like a great combo ;) obviously not in the same unit!

Kayosiv
05-03-2013, 22:56
according to the FAQ Queek can auto-wound if he already needs 2+ to wound (and then add in the +1 for the trophy rack) so Dwarfs' seem to be screwed lol, however combining his prowess with a Grey Seer with Wither, and Queek's stormvermin sounds like a great combo ;) obviously not in the same unit!

This is untrue. It says specifically in his rules that wounding dwarfs on a 2+ isn't modefied by his +1 to wound in challenges rule. However, if he's ever fighting anything that is toughness 2 (maybe because of Wither) that he does wound automatically.

Queek is a great character. He has been dangerous and useful in every game I've faced him in. I have yet to see him survive a game as his 3+ armor and lack of ward is fairly minimal protection, but his ability to strike first and hit on 2+ in most challenges with 6 attacks that ignore armor makes him a major player. While he has always died, he has also always dictated my movement in the battlefield or at least earned his points back. Everyone has to take Queek seriously, because if he rolls well he can kill even the toughest of challengers and he will attack most targets that are tough enough to weather his attacks before they get to strike. There are notable exceptions such as vampire and Chaos lords, but they are as expensive as Queek is before you buy them a single piece of equipment. Queek is also protected by his weaponskill 7, so it is very rare for other characters to hit him on better than 4+.

His super storm vermin are also totally worth it, especially when fighting armies with lots of weaponskill 4 troops.

There are also other slight advantages that come with taking Queek. He is the only skaven in the book that is leadership 8, which is valuable when conferring leadership to units without a rank bonus such as doomwheels, jezzails, weapon teams, etc.

Queek is cheap enough to take in addition to a Grey Seer and a great compliment to a fighty Skaven force. While not quite as potent against rank and file troops as a Warlord riding a Bonebreaker or warliter, he is fantastic against cavalry, all the the strongest of enemy characters, and providing you a reliable ranked unit with high strength, weaponskill, and initiative.

russellmoo
06-03-2013, 22:58
Queek is probably the only skaven special character that is worth his points. His stat line and equipment are probably worth the equivalent points for a character from any other book with a similar and stat line. This means the opportunity of taking super stormvermin is just a bonus. As far as using him, just remember that like all skaven generals, you can just put him into a unit that will most likely not see combat, especially if you think your opponent wants to kill him.

I like taking Queek in an army that is very close combat oriented. So, fill up on core then take some plague monks, and hellpits and have some fun.