PDA

View Full Version : Your Favourite BRB Magic Lore

dementian
05-03-2013, 23:38
As the title suggests I am curious as to what your favourite BRB Magic Lore is.

So take a vote and then feel free to give a blurb about why you picked what you picked. Whether lore based, power based or some other reason I'm just curious.

I will start with my own opinion: Lore of Beasts!

I enjoy using beasts because it has great support spells in Curse, Savage Beast, Pann's and arguably the best sig spell in the game. Not having an "uber" spell of the level of Pit of Shades, Dwellers, PSun etc I feel also makes the game more enjoyable for myself and my opponent.

So I open the floor to you now!

danny-d-b
06-03-2013, 00:20
light and shaddow
playing empire there laws that cover my weekness, killing chaff isn't an issue with archers, nor is taking down large monsters or units of cavalry at range (cannons/helblasters see to that)

what empire need is something to level the playing fields in combat, light and shaddow both help do this so both have a big part in my army

SteveW
06-03-2013, 00:35
Life, its the bee's knees of magic.

Drasanil
06-03-2013, 00:36
Life, mostly on thematic grounds. Any two bit psycho can kill, undoing the damage in the blink of an eye? Now that's real power. Just a shame dark elves can't use it :(

Smithpod68
06-03-2013, 00:36
I like Lore of Life. Being a WE player not many options. I think is lore attribute is great and the buff spells are really helpful. Throne of Vines is the best! 2+ to ignore a miscast! Oh Yeah!

Xerkics
06-03-2013, 00:38
Beasts imo by far the best lore on a lv 1 wizard. Cheap and powerfull.

SteveW
06-03-2013, 00:42
Beasts imo by far the best lore on a lv 1 wizard. Cheap and powerfull.

I like having some level 2 beasts running around just for the sig spell, and a chance to turn into a Mountain Chimera.

medevilmike
06-03-2013, 01:40
fire. all straight damage except flame cage and flaming sword, both great spells. every spell in the lore can be cast on average or less on 2 dice by a lvl 4, almost every spell has an "upgraded" form and the spell range weakens both small crappy units and big units. Flaming sword is second only to comet for my favorite spell ever. most of the time I just field a lvl 1 or 2 fire but am starting to take it as my main lore and just loving it.

tmarichards
06-03-2013, 01:43
Beasts for me, has hands down 2 of the best spells in the game in Curse and Wildform, and also has Amber Cannon. Just a generally great lore, and great fun to use.

Storyteller
06-03-2013, 02:26
To play with: Lore of Life for me. It's really useful being able to bring back Bretonnian knights and for me it has always seemed a bit more fluffy for Bretonnian damsels than Beasts.

To watch/fun-factor: Lore of Fire! I wish I saw it used more often - just more fun to watch than buff-combo's. Lore of Heavens has the most fun single spell though - I just love the comet!

Snake22486
06-03-2013, 02:57
I enjoy the lore of death. I like being able to snipe characters. soulblight is an all around good spell, and i love the lore attribute.

oh yeah, purple sun is nice too.

Lord Solar Plexus
06-03-2013, 04:42
Fire. Useful in every situation. Captain needs a fag? Fire, Sir? Skinks plague you? Fire ball. HPA? Ring of Fire.

With the best lore out of the way: All others are just as good. ;)

Kakapo42
06-03-2013, 07:02
As an up-and-coming Wood Elf player I only really have a choice between Life and Beasts, but even so I think my favourite is Life. I can imagine a use for all of it's spells, from the horde-threshing Dwellers Below to the power-up Throne of Vines. Plus I like to think of my Spellweavers/Spellsingers acting as medics and healers, patching up badly injured Asrai to minimise casualties. That and I care about those under my command, and make their well-being a high priority. :angel:

Elly_Banearrow
06-03-2013, 12:31
Lore of Life for me, as I am also a Wood Elf player. Cast dwellers on Dragon Princes or Grail Knights...enough said.

dementian
06-03-2013, 12:42
Seems a lot of people are favouring life for how powerful Dwellers Below is...interesting

BattleofLund
06-03-2013, 12:54
Fire. Useful in every situation.

This, but also: for me, 'Wizard' has a very strong link to 'Fireball'. Whether it's Tolkien or Pratchett (or the cover of 4th Ed WFB), I've formed the opinion that where there's a wizard, fireballs will be flying.

Wesser
06-03-2013, 13:01
I try to avoid using the same lores all the time

I avoid Death though. It is not a fun lore, and just feels unbalanced.

I enjoy heavens. If nothing else you can always blow off a comet which is probably the single most entertaining spell in the game

Vipoid
06-03-2013, 14:03
In terms of building a strong list, I like shadow - it's one of the stronger and most useful lores. And, it's quite versitile, with various buffs, hexes, direct-damage and movement spells. I'd also love to use Smoke and Mirrors properly sometime - I'm sure it can be hilarious (and very strong) in the right circumstances, especially because it's the sort of lore attribute that most people will probably forget even exists.

In terms of fun and flavour, definitely Fire. I think fire is a great lore, partially because it feels very... fun. And, for that matter, fair. There are no horrible spells that remove models from play, no monstrous buffs/debuffs that make one of your units ludicrously-good, or completely cripple an enemy unit. Mostly, you're just throwing fire at things. It's a fun lore to use, and one of the nicest lores to face.

In addition, as has been said above, there's also something very iconic and timeless about a wizard with the Fireball spell.

The only sad thing is that, as a Vampire player, I have to take Forbidden Lore just to access this lore. Otherwise, I'd use it a lot more.

Horus38
06-03-2013, 15:22
For my lizardmen: life for the win and light close on its heels.

Jornovich
06-03-2013, 16:02
i like all the lores depending on armies and situations.

life probably the best all round. throne of vines is paramount though

i voted for heavens though. i just like lightning and meteors!

Von Wibble
06-03-2013, 16:21
For my wood elves, life - see above for reasons.

For anyone else, Shadow. -D3S or T on an enemy is always useful, good sig spell, lore attribute can be good too if the opponent wasn't expecting it. Throw in the fact that I like the general idea of using magic for trickery rather than blowing stuff up and there you have it. Therefore I voted Shadow.

Vulcan7200
06-03-2013, 16:27
I've always been a fan of the Lore of Heavens. The idea of a Slann sitting back and controling the elements just seems very...fluffy in my head.

dalezzz
06-03-2013, 16:38
Beasts for me at the moment , might have something to do with playing beastmen at the moment though :)

mostlyharmless
06-03-2013, 16:56
I've always been a dark elf player, so my go-to lores have always been shadow and death, with metal as a close second. I build armies with the idea of using those lores, even with Warriors of Chaos or Empire. I can't imagine another way to do things, honestly.

SteveW
06-03-2013, 17:13
Seems a lot of people are favouring life for how powerful Dwellers Below is...interesting

I use life for the protective spells more than dwellers.

thesoundofmusica
06-03-2013, 17:45
Beasts.
I'm a Transformation junkie.
"but it can be dispelled!"
Well by then its usually over anyways. No spell wrecks high stat elite blocks like Kadon.

I also like how its versatile. Oh and Amber Spear is the ranged threat of choice against the new WoC DP (as a beastmen player).

popisdead
06-03-2013, 19:06
Shadow doesn't work unless you add a support caster with a damage spell (fire, metal).

Beasts is the best 8th lore as it has everything and no 6th spell for people to complain about (even though those people are foolish to complain).

Vipoid
06-03-2013, 20:29
Shadow doesn't work unless you add a support caster with a damage spell (fire, metal).

Could you explain why this is?

mostlyharmless
06-03-2013, 21:34

I'd like an explanation as well. I was under the impression that Penumbral Pendulum and Pit of Shades was all the damage I needed.

loveless
06-03-2013, 21:38
Shadow for theme purposes and my general love for more "support" than outright killing power (though there are damage options, too).

I would go with Life (and voted for it as well), but I don't seem to play any armies that have access to the Lore.

danny-d-b
06-03-2013, 22:01

my helblaster volly guns say otherwise

TheDungen
06-03-2013, 22:09
Shadow light and beasts.

tmr8188
06-03-2013, 23:10
Currently I like using Metal with my Dark Elves. They have fairly low armor and they struggle with highly armored opponents. I like the two buffs and final transmutation. My secondary caster is using my second favorite lore, shadow. So many good debuffs with that lore. On a lvl 2 you pretty much won't roll a useless spell. The synergy is amazingly effective.

TheDungen
07-03-2013, 12:28
I pick lores that fit my armies theme so obviously my shadow warriors use shadows. If I ever get around to making a chrace army ill use beasts.
Light I mostly like because of the cool clothes used by the empire light mages.

Edit: Sorry for the de facto double post. Tapatalk is messing with me.

quina2525
07-03-2013, 18:40
I chose light, i tried both life and light and i prefer light, buffing the augments to do a 12 inch aoe is killer in my army.

Glen_Savet
07-03-2013, 20:48
I like Heavens truthfully. Good augments, good hex and the ability to call down railgun fire from orbiting satellites? What's not awesome about that?!

Terrenord
07-03-2013, 20:56
I like Heavens truthfully. Good augments, good hex and the ability to call down railgun fire from orbiting satellites? What's not awesome about that?!

Except when you take yourself out rolling boxcars on the range of the Comet, lol.

Enigmatik1
07-03-2013, 21:04
Beasts is the best 8th lore as it has everything and no 6th spell for people to complain about (even though those people are foolish to complain).

I'm with you. I love LoBeasts in totality. It's a shame I only get to run it when I'm borrowing a friend's army. I would kill for Beasts in my TK army. :D

Honorable mention goes to LoDeath because I can use it in my TK army and it works very well when I do.

Sackree
08-03-2013, 06:24
Metal is the greatest lore hands down. It has a spell for every occasion. Great augments and hex's
It takes away my reliance on white lions to deal with every armored troop which is great as well.

Awilla the Hun
12-03-2013, 17:51
The best I have employed is Life. Makes my waves of Red Guardsmen marginally more survivable, and 2d6 s3 hits can be surprisingly effective against a lightly armoured opponent.

That said, I do like the look of Okkham's Mind Razor.

Kahadras
12-03-2013, 19:14
Currently my favorite has to be Beasts. Playing High Elves I really like the stat buff spells that the lore has to offer. Wildform is an awesome signature spell and Savage Beast can turn a GW armed Noble into a murder machine. An extended Amber Spear is also a great way of dealing with enemy monsters at range as I don't feel that RBT's cut the mustard in that department. Beasts works for me as I've tailored my army to take advantage of what the Lore has to offer.

Kahadras