PDA

View Full Version : after 18 months I have returned to GW

viking657
06-03-2013, 11:26
Up until recently the last time I rolled dice was at Oct 2011 40k TOS, indirectly it was all the things people are still having just cause to complain out that made me pack up my dice for what I believed would be forever.
I spent 3 months preparing an awesome heresy era Thousand Sons army using the Wolf dex, heavily converted with an awesome paint job. Unfortunately my daughter (5 at the time) pulled on the shelf my army sat on a week after my happy return from TOS and it was badly damaged as my poor sons fell to their deaths :cries: and what with christmas coming up and being busy I resigned my hobby to the back burner till January, I never repaired them.

I missed out on TOS April 2012 tickets as I was skint when they went on sale and feeling totally disheartened in general I looked around at my hobby and decideded I just couldn't be bothered anymore.

I made a final vist to my local indy store to cheer myself up brandishing my dkok and learnt and realised several things, firstly the owner told me I spent more per month on 40k than the rest of the 40k gaming group combined. 20ish people all over 20 I'd had the pleasure of knowing for 6 months and realised as he explained his plans for promoting some other game (maybe hordes, warmachine I forget) that it really was only downhill from here on in.
I was already frustrated by the fact people barely updated their armies (understandable though due to cost) and was sick of the lack of challenge when playing a game there and I realised that even though I had the money no one else did and it was never ever going to get any better for me outside my twice yearly trips to TOS.

The price hikes had turned a promising gaming group into a dusty collection of ageing armies which I was having absolutley no fun blowing to bits with my awesome new toys and I was bringing nerfed armies to the game nights just so I could try and have a half decent game - the hobby for me was dead. (the local store is still doing well but GW is all but gone though)

So I packed everything away, I decided I just couldn't bring myself to devote such a huge amount of time to something that I would only ever enjoy for two weekends a year. I couldn't face resculpting all those flames on my sons for just my benefit so sod it. GW killed my hobby and in my area it seemed I was soon to be the last one standing.

The point to the story? Well after all that time not being involved my actual real life sons have aged a bit more and we sat down to watch LOTR about 8 weeks ago and after they went to bed I dug out an old box and blew huge amounts of dust off the mines of moria.
My hobby is reborn, I'm having so much fun teaching them the ways of gaming and painting and all things hobby. So much fun building terrain, coming up with scenerios and just having a laugh really.
I feel like a new gamer again, now I don't know if its the long break in which I cut all ties but I've come back without the weight of the hobbies problems self imposed on my shoulders and I'm spending my time actually gaming and making the hobby work for me.
The most important thing for me right now is finishing my balsa wood stockade for our Rohan settlement, I seem to have found a way to enjoy myself without all the crap.

I realise that my situation is prehaps a rare one, two sons of hobby age and very enthusiastic and not bad players either in terms of tactics but I share only to highlight to all the quitters like myself that it really is your hobby and what you make of it, find what you enjoy and well just enjoy it.

Now don't get me wrong I nearly threw up when I saw how much the prices had gone up but what I'm doing now is getting a lot out of what I'm spending again. Maybe in time we will move into 40k and maybe just maybe I'll return to TOS but only as a bonus to what I'm doing now.

paddyalexander
06-03-2013, 13:44
I have to ask but what is TOS, I read that as Star Trek The Original Series. There is much more to the hobby than gwPLC. I'm currently getting my nephews to paint their character models from Decent and one of them is going to be getting a Warmachine Battlebox to paint up and play with.

The truth is that The Hobby is not gwPLC or any one company or game system but what we the hobbiests/gamers choose to make of it ourselves.

shelfunit.
06-03-2013, 14:07
I have to ask but what is TOS, I read that as Star Trek The Original Series. There is much more to the hobby than gwPLC. I'm currently getting my nephews to paint their character models from Decent and one of them is going to be getting a Warmachine Battlebox to paint up and play with.

The truth is that The Hobby is not gwPLC or any one company or game system but what we the hobbiests/gamers choose to make of it ourselves.

I assumed it was Throne of Skulls.

viking657
06-03-2013, 15:19
Throne of Skulls indeed

I agree gw is not the 'hobby' in terms of tabletop gaming but it was my hobby in the sense those were the systems I wanted to play currently and in the past. I've tried other stuff and its never felt right, just a shadow of the gw systems I grew up loving.

Shiodome
06-03-2013, 18:01
what is this thread for? i know at some point you said "this is the point..." but then carried on talking about yourself. just not sure what i'm supposed to respond to here.

Herzlos
06-03-2013, 18:10
I think the point is that not everyone is as anti-GW as reading this forum would suggest

duffybear1988
06-03-2013, 19:28
Well the LoTR game is really much better than a lot of people would believe. Not only do you need fewer figures (which can be snapped up easily on Ebay), but the rules are quite simple and fun for new players and it's much more cinematic to have Riders of Rohan chasing down Uruks than it is to have Blood Angels versus Ultramarines.

I don't consider myself anti-GW... I consider myself anti-GW2.0, because to be honest the company now doesn't resemble the company I grew to love in the 1990's and early 2000's.

lanrak
06-03-2013, 19:49
Hi all.
Most people are not anti GW.

Just anti Tom Kirby and his 'lazy' decisions , that turn their favorite hobby into 'assets to feed the retirement fund of Mr Kirby.'

viking657
06-03-2013, 22:30
I think the point is that not everyone is as anti-GW as reading this forum would suggest

Exactly

The point is I love the worlds gw has created/borrowed ;), I stopped because the policies of GW had ground my local gaming nearly into to dust and I became so annoyed because I could see a situation were I would be panning in the street and asking anyone to please roll dice with me.

I took a long break and now I'm back but what was getting me down isn't there anymore, I don't care about prices or policies just about having fun with what I have and can adapt - example I like the grim hammers models, no way am I paying 50 for a hardback copy of the hobbit just for some profiles so with a big shoulder shrug I've painted them up to use as Khazad Guard - 18 months ago I would have freaked at the cheek, now I don't really care I'm just having fun.

GW do what they do and I'm doing what I want to do and enjoying it again

JWhex
06-03-2013, 23:39
Well the LoTR game is really much better than a lot of people would believe.

I dont doubt it is a good game but in my local area no one plays it and as far as I can tell virtually no one ever has.

I live in the midwestern US and I have never seen anyone playing LotR in an independent game store (no GW stores nearby) nor do I know of anyone that plays it. People play many games besides whfb and 40k in game stores locally such as various board games, FoW, warmachine and even Battle Fleet Gothic, but never LotR.

Scaryscarymushroom
07-03-2013, 01:48

Actually I think the point is quite simple:

It is a message telling us to do what we love.

EDIT: Or, Y'know, what the OP just said.

Liber
07-03-2013, 05:05
GW do what they do and I'm doing what I want to do and enjoying it again

I am happy for you. Really, and your (long) post was worth reading in the end....but I have to point out that it is your children that saved your hobby. I don't have kids. Just other 20 somethings, many of whom have less cash than I...so if you look back over your post and pretend that you didn't have children you would see how many of us feel, so its hard to say 'yah, you're right, i am just gonna do what i want, and not worry about the details' because we are getting damned close to playing by ourselves...yah.

Hmm, maybe I should head on over to the local watering hole, and ask around for any women willing to make a sort of 10 year investment, too secure myself future gaming buddies ;)

duffybear1988
07-03-2013, 07:31
Could always try adoption!

williamsond
07-03-2013, 14:15
If your looking for some thing else to try with the boys, i would sugest youy try Kings of war (by mantic) you can use almost any old fantsay figures on square bases to play it and all the rules are free on the mantic website, as a bonus the figures or comparitavley cheap if you really wan't to star new forces and they offer significant discounts on larger bundles of troops (you know like the ones GW used to do in the 90's), I found it to be a very simple system to play and it used the dreaded modifiers so it help develope maths skill for the younger children.