PDA

View Full Version : Strike Cruiser scenery log

spiderman_stu
08-03-2013, 08:54
I have 2 boards, a city one and a plain grass board, I've wanted to build something spectacular since watching YouTube vids of calgar and Templarscrusade01, well I've decided I want to be able to fight boarding actions etc. I can't find any other boards similar though online. I've found lots of artwork though. I think scale is going to bea massive issue so I'm going to have to compromise as building a ship of 80 decks is too impractical. I'm thinking buckets for the boosters mould up a 2440mm x 1220mm board layer the board up for decks. Ideas please?

Emperors Teeth
08-03-2013, 10:02
Forge Worlds 'Zone Mortalis' board sections were intended for exactly this sort of game:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Warhammer_40,000_Terrain

There's rules for playing in them, too, downloadable on the site.

Krucifus
08-03-2013, 12:20
Sounds fantastic, especially if you modelled the underside of the board/table to be the belly of your cruiser so it looked like you're playing in a cross section of the ship. :D

I'd add a load of stairwells heading up/down to emphasize the feel of being one deck of many. If you do get tired of building endless small corridors / rooms you could always have a centrepiece 'hanger' area on one side fighting around a Thunderhawk/Eagle/Whatever sitting ready to launch.

If you actually have a SM Chapter this would be a wonderful opportunity to give them some depth, maybe add a few training cages, meditation cells, armouries, a chapel... Can you tell I'd really love to have the time and resources to do this myself? :D

ChrisMurray
08-03-2013, 16:43
I agree with the hanger idea. It will make modeling and gaming easier without compromising the look\feel\theme. So one side is a giant hanger the other side is corridors. Stick a large bridge on the top level and a large open multi room engineer section (complete with reactors) on the lower rear levels and this could look amazing.

In the future for large apoc games you could build a space station and have the ship in orbit\docked connect by boarding bridges.

spiderman_stu
08-03-2013, 23:15
Sounds fantastic, especially if you modelled the underside of the board/table to be the belly of your cruiser so it looked like you're playing in a cross section of the ship. :D

I'd add a load of stairwells heading up/down to emphasize the feel of being one deck of many. If you do get tired of building endless small corridors / rooms you could always have a centrepiece 'hanger' area on one side fighting around a Thunderhawk/Eagle/Whatever sitting ready to launch.

If you actually have a SM Chapter this would be a wonderful opportunity to give them some depth, maybe add a few training cages, meditation cells, armouries, a chapel... Can you tell I'd really love to have the time and resources to do this myself? :D

You think I have time? Haha well I'm thinking more along zone mortalis lines with some bling. I found this website which could be a quick win to the interior? Any more ideas? http://www.battlesystems.co.uk/

Rikera
09-03-2013, 01:37

I wish you did so i could see that board, sounds amazing. Maybe the OP could use hanger ideas etc and add extensions to the fw zone stuff.

The underside of the table idea is great too, i cant imagine much boards that people admire underneath. Someone needs to make this guys vision lol :D