PDA

View Full Version : THQ's Space Marine: Anything in the Background 9!$$ you guys off?

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 10:56
I bought and completed the Space Marine game and actually enjoyed it quite a lot. Best Warhammer 40,000 Videogame since Fire Warrior (IMHO). I loved the look of the Space Marines, Orks, Chaos Marines, Daemons, Cultists and Rogue Psykers (least I assume that's what they were) and all the rest. I was even looking for flaws in the fluff and didn't really find any. Okay, maybe the Jump Pack stuff was a bit... ridiculous, but guess that can be excused in a hack and slash (and shoot) videogame. End bossfight was a bit cheesy, too, and mostly QTEs, but again, could have been worse, and the following end sequence actually wrapped things up in a way quite thematic for how the Imperium operates (which is to say persecute everything, no matter how beneficial it is. :|).

So just wanna hear the thoughts of others on the fluff of the videogame. I mean... It was certainly better than the novelization of Fire Warrior. -.- Multi God Lord of Change lolwut?

Jonny Draigo
08-03-2013, 11:06
To me, it was too much wasted potential, there were few good scenes in second half, like when you fight along the Cadians or on the bridge with Blood Ravens, but the game desperately called for more, I wished to see Titans in action (on FW that produces titans) not just one shot from static titan, vehicle sequence, terminator amour, more of the scripted battle scenes that make you fight in middle of the battlefield with other units and vehicles fighting all around you.. and how is it possible there was not single mechanicum tech priest on whole forge world?

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 11:36
To me, it was too much wasted potential, there were few good scenes in second half, like when you fight along the Cadians or on the bridge with Blood Ravens, but the game desperately called for more, I wished to see Titans in action (on FW that produces titans) not just one shot from static titan, vehicle sequence, terminator amour, more of the scripted battle scenes that make you fight in middle of the battlefield with other units and vehicles fighting all around you.. and how is it possible there was not single mechanicum tech priest on whole forge world?

I'll agree with you on the Tech Priest thing. Closest we get is audio logs. I mean, it's not like there aren't any Tech Priest miniatures they could have used as a template, like they did with pretty much all of the sprites. :| Given that's a fluff concern, yeah, bit of a shitter, really.

As for the other stuff, that's more gameplay related, though a Terminator armor scene would have been kinda cool. Space Hulk, anyone? >.>

I liked the bit where you ride the Titan out to where it can shoot the spire, that was better than the Fire Warrior Titan mission where it was strictly static.

I really hope they do a sequel where Titus has no choice but to go Rogue, kinda like the Soul Drinkers chronicles or that Blood Angels story from Warhammer monthly. Pit him against the Inquisition who are hunting him down (Hello Sisters of Battle antagonists as the latter level baddies), and maybe some chaos forces... just because Chaos always pops up in these games. :| Hmmmm... come to think of it, could even be the Eldar as the main bad guys. They usually go to war based on things they've already seen in the future through their Farseers, so maybe they see Titus as a liability due to his "corruption" and seek to destroy him before some terrible prophesy comes to pass.

Malagor
08-03-2013, 12:11
I enjoyed the game alot, love the audio logs and nice to see that bolters actually fired explosive rounds *cough* ultramarine movie *cough*.
However one thing puzzled me, aren't Cadians suppose to have purple eyes due to their proximity to the eye of terror ?

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 12:28
I enjoyed the game alot, love the audio logs and nice to see that bolters actually fired explosive rounds *cough* ultramarine movie *cough*.
However one thing puzzled me, aren't Cadians suppose to have purple eyes due to their proximity to the eye of terror ?

Who was checking? >.>

Though if we want to talk about minor fluff deviations, then the bolters firing cased ammo was a bit annoying for me. :P

Angry SisterOfBattle Nerd
08-03-2013, 12:31
Okay, maybe the Jump Pack stuff was a bit... ridiculous, but guess that can be excused in a hack and slash (and shoot) videogame.
I only played the demo, but on the contrary, I felt it really depicted it as a jump pack (as opposed to a jet pack), and gave a great interpretation of the Hammer of Wrath rule:p.

HereComesTomorrow
08-03-2013, 12:32
I had no problems with the story.Or the game overall and played it through in one sitting on the day of release.

Honestly, my only problem was with lack of multiplayer maps and the way they went about implementing them when they did release new maps. The multiplayer is spread too thin now so it takes a while to find a game.

That said, it has one of the best multiplayer modes I've ever played. The balance on the maps and builds are excellent. Except the Vengence Launcher.

Chapters Unwritten
08-03-2013, 12:39
The lack of a power fist, in a game that overemphasized violent kills, was pretty upsetting.

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 12:42
I do likes me some Space Marine multiplayer. Not played it in a while, mind. And yes, the lack of maps sucks. I did like playing the Exterminatus wave modes, though, even though there was no beating the CSM bonus wave...

I really wanted to play the extra content stuff, but also didn't want to shell out money for those, so not had a taste just yet. -.-

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 12:44
The lack of a power fist, in a game that overemphasized violent kills, was pretty upsetting.

Heh, yeah, those would have been nice. Guess they wouldn't have looked too grand when one of the finishing moves has you punching an Ork and it's head exploding. xD

Horus38
08-03-2013, 13:26
I really enjoyed the game, no fluff concerns from me!

... and how is it possible there was not single mechanicum tech priest on whole forge world?

The orks have massacred almost all of the locals if memory serves. There's a dialogue section between the SM characters talking about how the Imperium will basically need to repopulate the world if they win. So more then likely most, if not all, of the tech priests are dead.

Malagor
08-03-2013, 14:26
They said that they will have to tear it all down and rebuild it all after the orks have been defeated.

Horus38
08-03-2013, 14:58
They said that they will have to tear it all down and rebuild it all after the orks have been defeated.

I seem to recall one of the SM's asking where everyone is. And they talk about the orks hunting/killing them for sport.

bad dice
08-03-2013, 15:08
Also i would asume that annie surviving techpriest would high tail it out of there. I mean you are pretty much the whole game on the battle field.
And despite them beeing in some of the codexes techpriest don't strike me as the gung ho types

Malagor
08-03-2013, 15:12
I seem to recall one of the SM's asking where everyone is. And they talk about the orks hunting/killing them for sport.
The first one I can't recall but the second I do, it's when they walk around at the "apartment" complex and they complain about how the orks wage war which the reply was, that it wasn't war for orks but sport.

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 15:35
Tyranids ate them.

seven324
08-03-2013, 15:41
The only thing i didn't like about the game was the complete lack of things that weren't basic Guardsman with Lasguns (apart from a few Heavy Bolter teams), and there wasn't anything other than a few abandoned Basilisks and Salamanders. That and there being no Tech Priests anywhere was a bit disappointing.

mostlyharmless
08-03-2013, 15:50
The game was fun to play, and I enjoyed ripping through . . . everything. However, I didn't like how it featured the Ultramarines. I've always had a great dislike for the Ultramarines, particularly after the 5th Edition codex, but that's just my opinion.

I honestly think it would be fun for the sequel to feature the following:

The game starts out as Titus essentially forced to go rogue. You play as Titus as he escapes the Inquisition. As he breaks into a ship and escapes, things fade to black. When the story continues, you are not Titus, you are a marine from a different chapter entirely (player's choice), with a specific specialty (also, player's choice). You have been seconded to the Deathwatch, and you have recently joined your kill team. The next few missions have you hunting aliens across the sector. After a few successful missions, you have been elected as the Watch Sergeant. The Watch Captain calls you into his conference room aboard the black strike cruiser and gives you a new mission: Captain Titus, formerly of the Ultramarines, has escaped from the Inquisition. He must be brought in by any means necessary. That's when things really get underway as you hunt the fallen captain across the galaxy. Eventually you catch up with him, and you are forced to make a critical choice that could decide the fate of untold billions of Imperial citizens. Do you kill him? Bring him in? Walk away? Or side with him? Essentially, there are no good choices, and it's on you to accept the consequences.

Before anyone starts balking that the Deathwatch only fight aliens for the Ordo Xenos, they also do special covert operations and such for other Ordos.

Could call the game "Space Marine II: The Deathwatch".

MagicHat
08-03-2013, 15:57
I remember complaining about things when I played the game, but today, all I remember is how disappointed I was of the Titan Princep being so... Subdued?

Most of the other things that bothered me can be chalked up to lack of resources on Relics behalf, so they didn't add in tanks (on a forgeworld), techpriests, aliens in the laboratorium and so on.

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 16:29
The game was fun to play, and I enjoyed ripping through . . . everything. However, I didn't like how it featured the Ultramarines. I've always had a great dislike for the Ultramarines, particularly after the 5th Edition codex, but that's just my opinion.

I honestly think it would be fun for the sequel to feature the following:

The game starts out as Titus essentially forced to go rogue. You play as Titus as he escapes the Inquisition. As he breaks into a ship and escapes, things fade to black. When the story continues, you are not Titus, you are a marine from a different chapter entirely (player's choice), with a specific specialty (also, player's choice). You have been seconded to the Deathwatch, and you have recently joined your kill team. The next few missions have you hunting aliens across the sector. After a few successful missions, you have been elected as the Watch Sergeant. The Watch Captain calls you into his conference room aboard the black strike cruiser and gives you a new mission: Captain Titus, formerly of the Ultramarines, has escaped from the Inquisition. He must be brought in by any means necessary. That's when things really get underway as you hunt the fallen captain across the galaxy. Eventually you catch up with him, and you are forced to make a critical choice that could decide the fate of untold billions of Imperial citizens. Do you kill him? Bring him in? Walk away? Or side with him? Essentially, there are no good choices, and it's on you to accept the consequences.

Before anyone starts balking that the Deathwatch only fight aliens for the Ordo Xenos, they also do special covert operations and such for other Ordos.

Could call the game "Space Marine II: The Deathwatch".

I dunno, kinda smacks too much of the plot to Inquisitor (Warhammer Monthly) for my liking. Not a bad idea, mind.

Horus Lupercal
08-03-2013, 16:41
I do likes me some Space Marine multiplayer. Not played it in a while, mind. And yes, the lack of maps sucks. I did like playing the Exterminatus wave modes, though, even though there was no beating the CSM bonus wave...

I really wanted to play the extra content stuff, but also didn't want to shell out money for those, so not had a taste just yet. -.-

I beat it :) and I then went on to beat the marine one, then the csm one again.

All with 3 dudes I found in a random group. We owned that night.

I really wish they make another game in a similar style. Doesn't even have to be Titus again or the ultras.

mostlyharmless
08-03-2013, 16:43
The thing about making it a guy from the Deathwatch is that he could be from any number of chapters, which frees up options and makes the protagonist feel easier to relate to.

08-03-2013, 16:54
When the story continues, you are not Titus, you are a marine from a different chapter entirely (player's choice)
Oh, please. Nobody except a few 40k players really care about the marine being one color or another. They'd rather work on a beautiful model for an ultramarine than get a dozen poor model for a dozen chapters.

mostlyharmless
08-03-2013, 17:07
Oh, please. Nobody except a few 40k players really care about the marine being one color or another. They'd rather work on a beautiful model for an ultramarine than get a dozen poor model for a dozen chapters.

Did you read the entire thing? You're Deathwatch. The Deathwatch have all black armour, with the chapter insignia on the right shoulder pad and the left arm and shoulder pad are silver. How is that not the same as making a beautiful model for an ultramarine? The only thing you'd really be changing is the right shoulder pad.

08-03-2013, 17:10
Right, so this means 99% of the audience will care even less about the color of one single shoulder. So useless !

NemoSD
08-03-2013, 17:19
Right, so this means 99% of the audience will care even less about the color of one single shoulder. So useless !

If you don't care... why do you care so much?

mostlyharmless
08-03-2013, 17:19
That's not the point. It's not just about the color of your right shoulder pad, it's about how other marines interact with you. It's about how you would apply your own chapter's style to the situation. It's about adding flavor to something that is otherwise flavorless, because there is no chapter more flavorless than ultramarines.

Example: say you're a Raven Guard, that White Scar across the conference table is going to be staring daggers at you the entire briefing. It opens things up for more immersion and player interaction with the rest of the "team". Maybe if you don't resolve your differences with the White Scar, he'll betray you. It opens up possibilities.

Sparowl
08-03-2013, 17:20

It would also take almost no time to make a few extra skins for that one shoulder pad. Not exactly a huge change. They probably could just import them from the first game's multiplayer.

My only issue with that storyline is that the Deathwatch don't hunt down traitors. Deathwatch is seconded to ordo Xenos, not Ordo Hereticus.

mostlyharmless
08-03-2013, 17:24
Hunting Xenos is the specialty of the Deathwatch, but that is not the only thing they do. It's entirely possible for a Deathwatch kill team to be sent on any number of missions. It's mostly an excuse to add a new perspective on things.

Easy E
08-03-2013, 17:45
Maybe you should play the Deathwatch RPG?

mostlyharmless
08-03-2013, 17:53
I do, and it's awesome, which is why I am so adamant that Deathwatch is a good direction to take Space Marine. It is, of course, my opinion, but I can't help sharing it.

Horus38
08-03-2013, 18:05
I was looking forward to a sequel, but the whole THQ going bankrupt thing seems to have put a damper on that for the immediate future... :(

08-03-2013, 18:13
If you don't care... why do you care so much?
I'm not saying I personnally don't care. I'm saying 99% of the players won't care. In other words, I'm explaining to you why it would be a bad idea. You don't want to annoy 99% of your players for no reason !

It's not just about the color of your right shoulder pad, it's about how other marines interact with you.
Oh right, I'm sure that when someone launches Space Marines, what she or he wants to see is politics !
Most Space Marines players do not know and do not care about the little and irrelevant differences between chapters. They want to kill things, not to be forced to choose between a bunch of different shoulder colors that will imply gameplay stuff, forcing them to read boring blurbs of text before getting into the fight.

It's about adding flavor to something that is otherwise flavorless, because there is no chapter more flavorless than ultramarines.
It's about you not liking the Ultramarine and wanting your favorite unique snowflake chapter, and not understand that to average joe, it will be just as flavourless as the Ultramarine if only presented through an action video game.

Example: say you're a Raven Guard, that White Scar across the conference table is going to be staring daggers at you the entire briefing. It opens things up for more immersion and player interaction with the rest of the "team". Maybe if you don't resolve your differences with the White Scar, he'll betray you. It opens up possibilities.
Since when White Scars and Raven Guard hate each other ?

It would also take almost no time to make a few extra skins for that one shoulder pad. Not exactly a huge change.
But to implement the moment where you choose your chapter, and to implement right, that would require a lot of efforts. It's not just poping a menu with a list of each chapters, that would just confuse the players a lot and bring absolutely nothing.

Larzarus
08-03-2013, 18:16
Enjoyed the combat. Though the space marine grenade launcher didn't feel very space marine-y. Enjoyed the fluff side but the actual plot was a little dull; got to the gun, solved.

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 18:39
Enjoyed the combat. Though the space marine grenade launcher didn't feel very space marine-y. Enjoyed the fluff side but the actual plot was a little dull; got to the gun, solved.

The thing felt weak as ****. And THQ went bankrupt, eh? ****... shows how much attention I pay to the videogame industry. >.>

mostlyharmless
08-03-2013, 18:43
*snip*

Some people care more about telling a good story than smashing things. Clearly I am in the minority.

Either that, or you're just a bitter ******* trying to get his jollies by bashing another person's ideas instead of presenting something better. You don't like my idea? Who cares? You're not contributing at all. You're just coming up with ways to make it not work, rather than ways to make it work.

Horus38
08-03-2013, 19:00
And THQ went bankrupt, eh? ****... shows how much attention I pay to the videogame industry. >.>

It seems most of the studios assets were sold off to other video game companies, so here's hoping the relevant team picks it back up under new management.

mostlyharmless
08-03-2013, 19:04
It seems most of the studios assets were sold off to other video game companies, so here's hoping the relevant team picks it back up under new management.

It's a shame, really. I liked THQ. They had some good IPs to work with.

NemoSD
08-03-2013, 19:18
THQ was the last of the Sierra Era Publishers, which is why we still saw niche games like you know, strategy, turn based and RTS that did not follow the XCraft/C&C model. I was disappointed by Space Marine because THQ is a company I expected to do new things, or expand on the standard instead of create another generic hulking marine shooter. Honestly, the difference between Gears of War and Space Marine was the GoW had a more populated world, and AI worth a damn... if you ignore aesthetics. Titus was the only character... the rest were card board cut outs, and Titus was a Greek Tragic Hero... to the T. No depth, just the salty veteran who will save the world, but be damned for the very act of saving it.

THQ going leaves EA and Ubisoft (I leave Activision/Blizzard out because the Activision side just takes whatever EA publishes and tries to publish something similar... and Blizzard is all about pandas.) This is bad for the market, especially those of us who liked niche games such Dawn of War, Company of Heroes etc... However, if Relic keeps the 40k titles, the acquisition by Sega (Total War series) might give us that hybrid of 40k and Total War many of us have wanted!

MR.Tea
08-03-2013, 19:40
There was one big, huge mistake with the game story
That cool Ultramarine veteran dies, and that annoying one lives...He is so irritating...

Also...no SM terminators, week boss fights...

NemoSD
08-03-2013, 19:54
That cool Ultramarine veteran dies, and that annoying one lives...He is so irritating...

I'd argue that Titus could never of made Captain in the Ultramarines... he flat out tells the newbie that the Codex is not a bible and it can be wrong at times... while giving bad advice (to not wear a helmet in a combat zone...)

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 20:20

Well crap, I forgot to mention little mister goodie two shoes "Baaaw, but that's not in the Codex Astartes!". At times, I wondered when Titus was just going to snap an blow his face off in a cut scene. Sure hope the Flashgitz parody Space Marine at some point, as I'd love to see their take on that kid. >.>

bound for glory
08-03-2013, 20:56
as my last and best experience is my atari2600(yeah, i'm that old) i bought the game for my 9year old son. his favorite part was,"i'm not through with you, space marine! well, i'm through with you, ork!".

M@L@L
08-03-2013, 21:06
And then BOOM! Headshot. >.>

08-03-2013, 23:04
Some people care more about telling a good story than smashing things.
A good story ? You must mean some fanservice, man ! It might be better for the fans of unique snowflake marines. I really don't think it's going to improve the story for anyone else. By trying to cover too much, it won't cover enough of each chapter for any non-specialist to enjoy.

You're not contributing at all.
Contributing to what ? To help THQ make a better Space Marine 2 ? Do you really think they will read this discussion and take inspiration from it ? Yeah, right…

MajorWesJanson
08-03-2013, 23:38
Ideas for Space Marine II: Deathwatch
It picks up where the first one left off. Titus has been cleared of taint, but the Inquisition still wants to study him and find out what makes him so special, so they assign him to the Deathwatch to keep him close while still letting him serve the Imperium. You start out doing several missions on various worlds while based on a Deathwatch Strike cruiser, dealing with Orks, Kroot Mercs, and Nids. But then you find out that there is a pattern to these xenos attacks, and follow it up to find a space hulk infested with Xenos, where you switch over to Terminator armor and board the thing. You fight your way though it exploring and salvaging relics before discovering that the Genestealer brood mind has plotted a course to crash the hulk into a major fortress world, which will allow a tendril of the hive fleet to break through the defensive cordon. So now you have to find a way to destroy the hulk, and defeat the Broodlord.

wyvirn
08-03-2013, 23:52
My biggest fluff gripe with the game is that the orks could shoot the wings of a fly from 200 paces...

M@L@L
09-03-2013, 00:02
I suppose fans of different things will have their own opinions on what would be a "good" Space Marine sequel. I don't like a Deathwatch idea myself, but I'm not going to fault anyone for having such ideas. I like the idea of Titus going on the run and you still controlling him, simply because that seems like a story that needs resolution. the guy survived some pretty hefty stuff, so doesn't that warrant some explanation?

I mean, like that other guy said, it's not going to matter what any of us want either way, as not like they're going to base any sequel off our ideas. Nice to speculate, mind. I guess what I'd like to see is a different enemy to the Orks and chaos. It's all about engines, at the end of the day. They might have the Imperial Guard replace the cultists, should the Titus heretic story be viable. Sisters replacing the Orks would make sense engine wise. Imperial Marines would replace traitor marines, and hell, I daresay those Imperials might be from Titus' own chapter. As for Nobz... Penitent Engines, maybe..? Just more Dakka focused than run up to you and smash your face in focused.

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-03-2013, 04:42
The fluff in the game was, for what it was, fine. It was basic all a thin varnish to give a little texture to shooting stuff in the face. The fluff was pretty incidental to the actual game. Not that it was badly done, but it certainly wasnt a story driven game or anything. So you could make a game that featured politics, interacting with other imperial/marine commanders and them reacting to your choices, etc. but it wouldn't be Space Marine 2, it would be some different game. As such the argument over what chapter to use is largely irrelevant. If you are talking about a real sequal I'd be more concerned with making it feel less clunky, especially movement. It felt a bit off, although it might be solved by less utterly linear levels and the ability do things like crouching.

Lord Squidar
09-03-2013, 06:19
I was slightly annoyed that there were these imperial shrines holding sacred relics throughout the city, I know it was a game mechanic, but they could have just drop podded in more gear when needed.

the multiplayer is now populated by a small elite group of diehards with all the gear and perks unlocked, you last 2 seconds as a new multiplayer person, which is a bit off putting

Inquisitor Engel
09-03-2013, 06:26
Contributing to what ? To help THQ make a better Space Marine 2 ? Do you really think they will read this discussion and take inspiration from it ? Yeah, right…

You'd be surprised by how many Relic employees are here. ;) I know of at least two who are presently active.

And THQ folded in January. The GW IP licenses and Relic went to SEGA.

Kiro
10-03-2013, 22:53
RE: Missing Techpriests - IIRC, this is lampshaded in one of the opening levels where one Guardsman gripes to another about not being able to find any Techpriests despite being on a Forgeworld of all places.

Reasonable Commissar
11-03-2013, 10:49
The only thing which kind of annoyed me was them going "Oh look he can resist the warp he is a heretic" and Titus not going "No Im blessed by the Emperor and he protects me.... yeah that must be it".

Gingerwerewolf
12-03-2013, 12:39
The thing that bugged me was that when I had a Lascannon that it took more than 1 hit every damn time to kill a Chaos Space Marine in Power Armour.

SomeRandomEvilGuy
12-03-2013, 13:11
The only thing which kind of annoyed me was them going "Oh look he can resist the warp he is a heretic" and Titus not going "No Im blessed by the Emperor and he protects me.... yeah that must be it".
Most Space Marines don't view the Emperor as a god though, so it would be a hard sell.

The bearded one
12-03-2013, 17:53
To be honest the only 2 things that bugged me were a lack in some variation (levels like stopping the train and the valkyrie flight), and the short length.

And that last gripe is a compliment, really. I wanted 6 hours more :p

Kiro
13-03-2013, 00:00
To be honest the only 2 things that bugged me were a lack in some variation (levels like stopping the train and the valkyrie flight), and the short length.

And that last gripe is a compliment, really. I wanted 6 hours more :p

Funnily enough, it's the first game in recent years that springs to mind when I think of what constitutes decent game length. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have said no to more, but I didn't feel cheated ala Force Unleashed II.

The bearded one
13-03-2013, 00:24
I installed it in the evening one day, and had finished it by mid day the next ;) The length is put at about 6 hours I believe. Would've loved me a dozen or so sidequests, helping the imperial guard a bit more in the initial war-effort for a longer time, etc.

13-03-2013, 00:55
Did you play it on maximum difficulty level ? I had troubles finishing the first level of the demo in maximum difficulty level. The last wave of Orks was very difficult, especially since I never ever managed to beat a nob without being in rage mode.

The bearded one
13-03-2013, 10:56
I went through it on normal in the first outing and on maximum difficulty ever since. It's not a particularly hard game to beat, I found the controls very pleasant to use as well, and I dont even regularly play this type of games (strategy for me). Nobs are fairly easy to kill once you find the right combo: the highest level stun stuns them and then you can kill them with an execute move (chop-chop-chop-stun, if memory serves).

13-03-2013, 12:37
I don't know, I only played on maximum difficulty level. Normal is too easy to be interesting ;).

eutambem
16-03-2013, 01:21
things i didnt like: plasma weaponry stopped shooting when overheated (should kept firing and eat up your health), blood: every enemy had hemoglobine(?) making it red (greenskins could have some other color: black perhaps). vengeance launcher (should have been a simpler weapon with no fancy trigger mode).
things i liked: the scale. everything was epic! the action. bloody. the gameplay. easy to control (no half-moons and button combinations for finishing moves). the story. it had an inquisitor! every 40k story must have the inquisition behind it or risk no awsomeness at all!!!!

Lord Damocles
16-03-2013, 16:42
blood: every enemy had hemoglobine(?) making it red (greenskins could have some other color: black perhaps)
To be fair, Ork blood has always been either red or green.

Valrak
17-03-2013, 06:20
I wish they had 4 player Co-op mode, Deathwatch INC!

Inquisitor Engel
18-03-2013, 00:00
I really quite liked the Vengeance launcher. Difficult to do a direct table-top translation, but I thought it was pretty neat. It was even cool enough for 343i to implement a similar weapon in Halo 4 (the sticky detonator did not exist prior to November 2011, according to my 343i business contacts. I commented on this when I played a build back last May).

Sikkukkut
18-03-2013, 02:18
Haven't played through the whole thing yet. Out of what I have played, the one small snag for me was right at the start when the ork boss yells for the human to get off his ship. Any properly orky ork would have been roaring with delight at the chance to start the scrappin' early and bellowing at the other ladz to get outta 'iz zoggin' way.

Nothing other than that.

MajorWesJanson
18-03-2013, 07:18
Haven't played through the whole thing yet. Out of what I have played, the one small snag for me was right at the start when the ork boss yells for the human to get off his ship. Any properly orky ork would have been roaring with delight at the chance to start the scrappin' early and bellowing at the other ladz to get outta 'iz zoggin' way.

Nothing other than that.

Well, one human is just a distraction when there are tons of much bigger and fightier targets he was shooting at.

BigBarryJazz
18-03-2013, 11:57
If they really wanted to stick close to the fluff, knowledge of what the daemons were would be more limited, and everyone would have been taken away for 'processing' after the incursion. Admittedly that ending would annoy most players even more than the one we got.

Inquisitor Engel
18-03-2013, 22:06
If they really wanted to stick close to the fluff, knowledge of what the daemons were would be more limited, and everyone would have been taken away for 'processing' after the incursion. Admittedly that ending would annoy most players even more than the one we got.

This hasn't been canon for some time. The militaries are almost certainly aware of daemons, though general populations are not. Space Marines almost certainly are well-versed, as it's an integral part of their history.

Reasonable Commissar
19-03-2013, 15:20
This hasn't been canon for some time. The militaries are almost certainly aware of daemons, though general populations are not. Space Marines almost certainly are well-versed, as it's an integral part of their history.

As much as I hate this part of fluff and it hasnt been in a lot of the books for some time it was in the recent Emperors Gift book dealing with Angron and the GKs on Armageddon vs the Space Wolves.

Unless you mean its stopped being done in the "modern" 40k setting.

MR.Tea
19-03-2013, 16:24
The game does not follow 40k lore to the letter for one reason...It is not made for 40K fans only, it had to be...enriched...for wide audience...that it is why alot of things are diffrent...Personally, I don't care that here and there are some fluff bits that are off...it is a game made to be fun...and IMO it deliverd on that...

Inquisitor Engel
19-03-2013, 18:41
As much as I hate this part of fluff and it hasnt been in a lot of the books for some time it was in the recent Emperors Gift book dealing with Angron and the GKs on Armageddon vs the Space Wolves.

Unless you mean its stopped being done in the "modern" 40k setting.

That's because the extermination of the civilians who witnessed the daemonic incursion is integral to Logan Grimnar's character and the Space Wolve's story as borderline rogues, dismissive of Imperial power and Inquisitorial authority. It can easily be dismissed as being the whim of a particular Inquisitor or Grey Knight Brother-Captain, rather than standard policy.

Friedrich von Offenbach
20-03-2013, 08:50
Did anyone else get confused when it said that a reinforcement fleet would arrive in 3-5 weeks (or something) and then it declares: unacceptable, deploying the ultramarines. So are the ultramarines not classed as reinforcements now? Then when they arrive they deploy 3 marines. That's.....helpful. Then jumping out a thunderhawk with a jump pack is against the codex, but isnt that the background for how assault marines deep strike in the game. Good game though, however would have been nice to not be Ultramarines or at least not 2nd company

The bearded one
20-03-2013, 08:55
A 'liberation fleet' was underway, but it would take 5 to 37 days. As a final solution to the problem of the xenos invasion this delay was unacceptable, so they deployed nearby ultramarines as 'area escalation denial' (as the screen put it), untill the liberation fleet arrived. We only play with the 3 ultramarines, but in the thunderhawk there are several other marines in the background, and in the titan manifactorum they have contact with another marine unit via a console (sergeant midas, if I recall correctly), which Titus orders to come guard the titans. And finally near the end of the game at the bridge where the bloodravens fight another squad of ultramarines droppods in.

Sotek
20-03-2013, 09:34
I would like to see Titus be inducted into the Deathwatch as a way out of the inquisitions claws.

Also due to the 'fury' mechanic I think the protagonists should have been blood angels.

M@L@L
20-03-2013, 09:45
I would like to see Titus be inducted into the Deathwatch as a way out of the inquisitions claws.

Also due to the 'fury' mechanic I think the protagonists should have been blood angels.

Except fury was just your standard "Super bullet time kill everything" mode that so many third person games have these days. :D Doubt it was supposed to be a fluff mechanic, so much as giving you a bit of a boost when you need it.

As for jump pack deep strike thing, I guess maybe it was seen as breaking from the Codex due to them jumping straight onto an Orkoid vessel, as opposed to the ground. It's prety much a suicide drop, and it certainly looked that way. Not to say the Space Marines aren''t against dangerous action, just reckless action. :P Fluff aspects aside, though, it was a freaking epic scene.

The bearded one
20-03-2013, 12:01
Fluff aspects aside, though, it was a freaking epic scene.

Space marine jumps out of thunderhawk in orbit in the middle of a firefight with ships exploding all around
with a rocketpack strapped to his back, which he uses to accelerate
then lands on an orkship, bludgeons everyone to death with a knife and rotates by hand the ship's turret to fire onto the ship itself
After which he surfs the crashing, burning hulk down to the ground
And casually picks himself up from beneath the rubble.

> cue opening title <

Awesome. Awesome to the head.

M@L@L
20-03-2013, 12:55
Exactly. Unrealistic, but epic. :P Reminds me of some of the cheese of any Black Library fiction which features Space Marines. :D

The bearded one
20-03-2013, 13:07
Yes, it might come across as really cheesy, but the fun fact in this is that it's in all honesty not far off from what a space marine might realistically be able of doing in the 40.000 universe. Furthermore as this is (one of? I think there's some really, really old stuff) the first big 40k shooter game when making the introductionscene of these space marines you really want, nay need to put on a fanboy hat and make it as over the top epic as you can, simply to hammer down so badly that this IP is the granddaddy, the universe of turning it up to 11 and getting away with it. Things get more subdued afterwards in the game, but the openingscene is your chance to show of that 40k is epic and that you must enjoy it. The difference with some of BLs cheese is that this time it's on the screen, moving and hacking in all its visceral glory, and you are controlling it. It feels powerful.

The recall of my own squeels and gasps of awe and joy when seeing this openingscene :) if you have the heretical audacity to refute my post with sensible arguments I shall rebuff with a quoted 'thought for the day':

A logical argument must be dismissed with absolute conviction!

Fanboy-mode out.

M@L@L
20-03-2013, 13:26
*snickers* Nah, I hear ya, the constant God mode feel of playing Space Marine is quite a thrill. Every aspect of the combat makes you think "Yup, I am playing one man that is the equal of of many." Each time an Ork's upper body explodes from bolter fire, each time I slam into an opponent and leave them stunned, each time I parry a Nob's choppah and then hack the crap out of it... *shivers with glee*

I like the warboss fight scene because of the potential to use his bomb squigs against him by shooting them before they drop down into the pit with you. The final fight against the ascended chaos lord was another slice of superhuman cheese which is fun to watch.

But if there's one thing I really liked about the gameplay it was the finishing moves. Yeah, graphic, tasteless and whatnot, but some of them were just plain hilarious. Like when you slam the Ard Boyz shields down into their necks to finish them off.

Commissar_Dashie
21-03-2013, 14:46
All in all I loved this game, there were a few fluff issues, but in the end it's a video game, and have videos games not, since they existed, been taking the fluff of movies, comics and stories, and twisting them around a bit to make for a more awesome game? The ONLY thing I want to bring up, and even then it doesn't bother me too much, is that the ship you drop onto at the start is mentioned as being an Ork cruiser... Now that thing is smaller than a modern day destroyer, Ork cruisers, like Imperial and Chaos and everything else, are huuuuuge!

The thing was about the same size as the system Monitor ships it was blowing apart, which IIRC are about the size of Imperial Destroyers or Frigates, and even those were waaay to small and seemed more like what i'd expect of the Imperial equivalent of a PT boat. Also most Imperial ships don't enter planetary atmosphere unless they have to, since they aren't usually built to withstand the pressure and gravity, not to mention that most starships at their proper scales in the 40k Universe entering an atmosphere would annihilate the planets eco-system.

The final thing being the ranges those ships were firing at in the opening scene would be considered 'gun literally touching head' range in space combat, point blank still usually being thousands of miles apart. The only ships that get that close are Ork ramships, and Nids, neither of which were present. A ship the size of that Ork vessel should have been torn apart by the few defence ships that were still around it. But like I said at the start, all these things are thrown away for a totally awesome intro :D

So yeah... That was totally only a minor issue to me... Honest. :angel:

Killgore
21-03-2013, 15:14
All in all I loved this game, there were a few fluff issues, but in the end it's a video game, and have videos games not, since they existed, been taking the fluff of movies, comics and stories, and twisting them around a bit to make for a more awesome game? The ONLY thing I want to bring up, and even then it doesn't bother me too much, is that the ship you drop onto at the start is mentioned as being an Ork cruiser... Now that thing is smaller than a modern day destroyer, Ork cruisers, like Imperial and Chaos and everything else, are huuuuuge!

The thing was about the same size as the system Monitor ships it was blowing apart, which IIRC are about the size of Imperial Destroyers or Frigates, and even those were waaay to small and seemed more like what i'd expect of the Imperial equivalent of a PT boat. Also most Imperial ships don't enter planetary atmosphere unless they have to, since they aren't usually built to withstand the pressure and gravity, not to mention that most starships at their proper scales in the 40k Universe entering an atmosphere would annihilate the planets eco-system.

The final thing being the rages those ships were firing at in the opening scene would be considered 'gun literally touching head' range in space combat, point blank still usually being thousands of miles apart. The only ships that get that close are Ork ramships, and Nids, neither of which were present. ship the size of that Ork vessel should have been torn apart by the few defence ships that were still around it. But like I said at the start, all these things are thrown away for a totally awesome intro :D

So yeah... That was totally only a minor issue to me... Honest. :angel:

40K ships have many different patterns and sizes, I say the intro ships were small examples of their kind, which could explain their ability to battle in the atmosphere. But who cares, the intro was great!

Kiro
21-03-2013, 18:53
I'm surprised by how many people are irked by any fluff inconsistencies in the game; none of them are particularly egregious, bar Titus' captaincy. Given how long we've waited for a decent 40k console game, it's like being given 9999 and complaining you weren't given 10000 :eyebrows:

Inquisitor Engel
21-03-2013, 19:49
I'm surprised by how many people are irked by any fluff inconsistencies in the game; none of them are particularly egregious, bar Titus' captaincy.

I thought we already hashed this out? ;)

flota
21-03-2013, 20:41
The fight against the daemon prince its the wtf?! Moment for me, a single astartes goes hand to hand against a daemon prince and banish the thing, power or force weapons nowhere to be found
And i wished for a cinematic of the titan or the orbital strike in the trailer

Sent from Holy Terra

Kiro
21-03-2013, 21:36
I thought we already hashed this out? ;)

Captain Titus....is in my hash browns? :confused:

22-03-2013, 00:20
The final thing being the ranges those ships were firing at in the opening scene would be considered 'gun literally touching head' range in space combat, point blank still usually being thousands of miles apart.
I see you are an expert in space combat. Have you served in the space navy ?

Commissar_Dashie
22-03-2013, 03:11
I see you are an expert in space combat. Have you served in the space navy ?

Why yes, served for quite a while :3

But no, my information comes from the other sources provided by GW (Who I know contradict themselves a lot anyway.) Such as BFG novels, the BFG rulebook, and the Rogue Trader RP books. So obviously my information is never going to be 100% law, just going off what I know of the way space combat works in 40k. I also have a fairly decent knowledge in the way naval combat is fought these days, coming from a largely naval family. And although I fully realise they aren't the same, some of the same principals apply.

So no I am not an expert, and if you can find legit sources to contradict me, good for you, it will just help strengthen my understanding of it better. ;)

Inquisitor Engel
22-03-2013, 18:06
Captain Titus....is in my hash browns? :confused:

Ha! Nah - we discussed the possibility of there being multiple Captains in the Ultramarine's 2nd Company here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?315339-Space-Marine-and-Canon/page2&highlight=Captain+Titus) since the timeline puts Titus' command squarely during Sicarius' tenure.

My final takeaway was the while Titus A Captain of the Ultramarines 2nd Company, Sicarius is 2nd Captain of the Ultramarines, Commander of the 2nd Company. Kind of comes down to a matter of rank vs position.

Horus Lupercal
23-03-2013, 14:07
I think it's more that its a minor detail that the developers simply overlooked. It's not a massive issue to me as I like to think its just prior to Sicarius.

Inquisitor Engel
23-03-2013, 22:32
I think it's more that its a minor detail that the developers simply overlooked. It's not a massive issue to me as I like to think its just prior to Sicarius.

Severus Agemman was Captain of the Second Company prior to Sicarius. That gets you back to 745.M41. Furthermore, in "Orphans of the Kraken" it's stated that the Forge World Graia (where Space Marine takes place) was destroyed by Tyranids in 993.M41. The Inquisitor in Space Marine, Thrax, is also responsible for purging the Grey Slayers chapter of mutants and possessed sometime in the "late" 41st Millenium, likely sometime well past 745.M41.

There's ALSO Captain Severus running around as a Captain of the Ultramarines' 2nd Company and he has most definitely fought Tyranids on Algol (as revealed in the Ultramarines movie prequel comic) so that definitely puts him past Sicarius' promotion to 2nd Captain. He's shortly replaced by Proteus at the end of the movie.

Considering the cooperation GW has with Relic, I think it's most likely that there are multiple captains within a Codex company, (perhaps making up the Company Captain's command squad normally), and they are sometimes off commanding other smaller missions.

Lord Damocles
24-03-2013, 20:27
Considering the cooperation GW has with Relic, I think it's most likely that there are multiple captains within a Codex company, (perhaps making up the Company Captain's command squad normally), and they are sometimes off commanding other smaller missions.
Or whenever Ultramarines show up, it's always the second Company (Fire Warrior excepted) because they're what's on the generic Marine boxes, and neither GW nor Relic particularly care that the timeline fouls up.

LexxBomb
25-03-2013, 02:05
As GW keeps saying... its a Setting not a story... which kinda bugs me... surely they know that their customer base is nerds and what are we as nerds the most fanatical about... making sure our Canons are intact...

Freak Ona Leash
25-03-2013, 03:20
As GW keeps saying... its a Setting not a story... which kinda bugs me... surely they know that their customer base is nerds and what are we as nerds the most fanatical about... making sure our Canons are intact...
l
I dunno, I'm pretty sure many nerds are not terribly concerned about that :p I know I'm not. I agree with GW's policy: it's all true, somehow. I also like Engel's interpretation: multiple Captains per Company, but with only one Captain of the Company. Clearly, that's how it worked in the Heresy at least (in some Legions) but then again, formations were much larger. Perhaps when an officer is granted command of a strike force, he is given the brevet rank of Captain without actually being a Company Captain?

Horus Lupercal
25-03-2013, 06:19
Proteus was a sgt not captain as far as I can tell?!

Also there is no other case of multiple captains. For a reference of the same chapter see Uriel Ventris. In his absence Learcheus is in command but is still a Sgt and holds on unitll Uriel comes back. Not some extra 4th company captain who just happened to be lying around like an extra pair of socks.

It's an inconstancy and a canon conflict. There is no way to rationalise it otherwise.

Inquisitor Engel
25-03-2013, 12:26
Proteus was a sgt not captain as far as I can tell?!

At the end of the movie it's clearly implied he's the new Captain. (Unless I'm getting my names mixed up)

Also there is no other case of multiple captains. For a reference of the same chapter see Uriel Ventris. In his absence Learcheus is in command but is still a Sgt and holds on unitll Uriel comes back. Not some extra 4th company captain who just happened to be lying around like an extra pair of socks.

It could potentially be on a company-by-company basis.The 2nd Company, being more decorated, my actually have more captains in it to choose from. The Brevet-rank may also be a possibility, and Learcheus refused to accept it.

It's an inconstancy and a canon conflict. There is no way to rationalise it otherwise.

I believe I just did. With several possibilities.

Horus Lupercal
25-03-2013, 19:56
You didn't, you threw our own ideas out there. There are no fluff instances apart from this occasion when the ultrafanboys have been over used.

And again, Proteus isn't referred to as Captain once in that scene (its been a while but I'm 99% sure)

You can continue to make your own fluff decisions on this but I defiantly see this as a simple error in cross referencing and a cannon conflict. It happens.

I guess we can just be grown up and agree to disagree :)

Kiro
25-03-2013, 22:38
And again, Proteus isn't referred to as Captain once in that scene (its been a while but I'm 99% sure)

Engel said it's implied he's the new captain; a pretty reasonable guess, given how similarly Verinor and Proteus mirror Severus and the apothecary during the hammer pledge scenes, not to mention it's a pretty standard trope (Rico, having taken his position, using Rasczak's 'motivational' speech at the end of Starship Troopers for example).

Inquisitor Engel
26-03-2013, 01:45
You didn't, you threw our own ideas out there. There are no fluff instances apart from this occasion when the ultrafanboys have been over used.

IIRC The Imperial Fists 5th Company, led by a Captain, are present both as part of the Eye of Terror campaign, the Crusade of Fire (which while not confirmed, is likely to take place at the 'present' of 40k) and the loss of Uttu Prime to the Necrons, again, also 'present-day' 40k.

You can continue to make your own fluff decisions on this but I defiantly see this as a simple error in cross referencing and a cannon conflict. It happens.

They're not decisions, they're inferences and to be honest, they make the universe more fun. Not having all the answers LETS us play around like this, debate and enjoy discussing the weights and factors in support of and against certain theories and points of view. To only take what "makes sense" and be stated into the discussion means... well... there's no discussion to be had.

The Tau being an Eldar experiment was also an inference that began on Portent* and has made it into canon, so never say never. ;)

*Prior to Xenology, the design team hadn't made a decision on it and that wasn't in the design-doc during Andy Chambers' version of the first Tau Codex at all.

I guess we can just be grown up and agree to disagree :)

We can indeed.

Horus Lupercal
26-03-2013, 12:11
Ref the imperial fists 5th are the campaigns dated at the same time? As M41 000-999 is a lot of years for warfare so its possible these 3 campaigns happen at separate times.

I get what you mean with it being more fun and I agree because I do the same on other fluff holes/consistencies (the origins of the charcharadons, legion of the damned etc) but on the ultramarine multiple (3!!) captains I can't agree with you. But your opinions are valid.

Horus Lupercal
26-03-2013, 19:53
Sorry for the double.

Just re watched ultramarines as I was bored.

In the final scene Proteus has a red skull insignia in his chapter logo. As I recall a red skull is a Sgt marking. Makes a little more sense than him being captain (though I may be wrong, will double check)

Checked and Sgt is a red skull. Proteus is a Sgt.

Inquisitor Engel
26-03-2013, 20:12
Checked and Sgt is a red skull. Proteus is a Sgt.

Fair enough, but that still leaves us with Titus, Sicarius and Severus all having the title simultaneously. ;)

Horus Lupercal
26-03-2013, 21:12
It certainly does! Though has anyone checked the exact dates? As M41 is a lot of time for a few captains to come and go in the grimdark!

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2013, 04:11
It certainly does! Though has anyone checked the exact dates? As M41 is a lot of time for a few captains to come and go in the grimdark!

Severus was a Captain who fought Tyranids, which has to put him being a Captain after Sicarius' promotion to 2nd Captain, as pointed out in the graphic novel prequel to Ultramarines. As for Titus, since Sidonus lost his arm to Tyranids, it must be after the Hive Fleet Behemoth invasion (stopped in 745.M41), and since Sidonus has served for 225 years, it must be earlier than 970.M41. Titus mentions the Aurelian Crusade, the campaign of Dawn of War II, again containing Tyranids, during the game, so Space Marine must happen after that.

The Tyranids are the lynchpin for the concurrent status of the Captains. Sicarius was promoted to 2nd Captain after Behemoth (as Invictus' sacrifice meant that Agemman was promoted to 1st Company from 2nd, and Sicarius then promoted to 2nd shortly thereafter, possibly immediately). Since we know Sicarius is 2nd Captain as of 999.M41 and that Severus and Titus both have some experience and/or knowledge of Tyranids, they must ALL have the rank of Captain within the 2nd Company. :)

Horus Lupercal
27-03-2013, 07:35
Sound reasoning but the tyranids come along fairly early in m41!

I'm not saying you are wrong at all but like I said I personally believe its an oversight on behalf of the producers.

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2013, 13:09
Sound reasoning but the tyranids come along fairly early in m41!

The Battle for Macragge wasn't until 745.M41. Dawn of War II (which Space Marine definitely occurs after) makes it pretty clear those Tyranids are from Leviathan or a splinter fleet, putting it well into the 990's M41.

Additionally, Sicarius has been 2nd Captain since 745.M41 or almost immediately thereafter. Invictus died, Agemman was promoted from 2nd to 1st and Sicarius moved to replace Agemman's open spot. There's no room to fit Titus and Severus without them having the rank concurrently.

Horus Lupercal
27-03-2013, 16:24
Yep. Your reasoning again is sound.

I believe this is oversight and conflict as said before but hey, that's me!

Lord Damocles
27-03-2013, 19:11
The Battle for Macragge wasn't until 745.M41. Dawn of War II (which Space Marine definitely occurs after) makes it pretty clear those Tyranids are from Leviathan or a splinter fleet, putting it well into the 990's M41.
There is a further confusion regarding the dating of Dawn of War II - if I remember correctly, one of the Deathwatch books (Honour the Chapter, I assume?) moves the events of Dawn of War II and it's sequals to an earlier date - before the given date for the original Tartarus campaign from the original Dawn of War, even!

This of course just serves to snarl the timeline up further.

...this is why mainstream timeline advancement would be a good thing.

Inquisitor Engel
27-03-2013, 20:30
There is a further confusion regarding the dating of Dawn of War II - if I remember correctly, one of the Deathwatch books (Honour the Chapter, I assume?) moves the events of Dawn of War II and it's sequals to an earlier date - before the given date for the original Tartarus campaign from the original Dawn of War, even!

This of course just serves to snarl the timeline up further.

"The warp did it." ;)

That's oversight on Relic's end I suppose. We can have conflicting events in the wider universe, but for specific characters to be Captains before they're Sergeants or whatever... That's where I draw the line.