PDA

View Full Version : Countess of Lahmia, Canadian GD Entry

DV8
23-05-2006, 19:30
With my 40k Single entry pretty much done, except for minor tweaks, I've begun work on my Fantasy single entry. A mounted Lahmian vampiress.

Pre-paint pictures. You can see the minor additions I've added to tie the pewter head into the body of the horse. The pictures didn't turn out very well, but I also sculpted horseshoes on the hooves. I'll try and take a couple more before I prime, and as I paint.

The colors will be blues/turquoises for the barding and greys/whites for her dress. As this will be a fairly bright model, I've decided to undercoat the model with white (heresy!). It'll make for an interesting model as I almost always undercoat black.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Countess%20of%20Lahmia/DSC02111.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Countess%20of%20Lahmia/DSC02112.jpg

Also, any thoughts as to name would be appreciated.

DV8

ExquisiteEvil
23-05-2006, 19:38
More a critique with the model itself rather than anything youve done...

The model seems 'unbalanced' - especially when viewed from any other angle than your first pic.

From what I remember the Lahmians like cats.

Maybe try your hand at sculpting one behind the rider - leaning to the opposite side to what her legs hang...

does that make sense?

If a cat is a little ambitious - use something else. Spell book, snakes, etc - just fill the negative space.

EE

Hideous Loon
23-05-2006, 19:44
Yes, you definitely need something there, as of now it's just a void, or plastic cloth-covered horse's bottom if you insist. A spellbook would be an easy way out, as would a serpent, or a travelling pack (not really representative for Lahmians, but whatever!). But something.

Deadite
23-05-2006, 19:47
From what I remember the Lahmians like cats.
EE

There's a cat on her lap... it's part of the original model

I'd await more painted design elements to the negative space.

Or, replicate the gs work done on the reigns to the hindquarters in some way... like extra frills or something. Perhaps some lacy/frill patterns at the bottom of the barding?

Sylass
23-05-2006, 20:15
Mmmh, I really dislike all that green gras on the ground. For one reason or the other it looks odd. I dislike that type of gras alltogether.

I'd advice to use sand instead of the grass and add patches of static gras instead (in addition to other decoration like stones, rubble, rocks, partsof trees and what not). Would make the overall look of the miniature a lot better imo. :)

ExquisiteEvil
23-05-2006, 20:22
There's a cat on her lap... it's part of the original model

I'd await more painted design elements to the negative space.

Or, replicate the gs work done on the reigns to the hindquarters in some way... like extra frills or something. Perhaps some lacy/frill patterns at the bottom of the barding?

Well she could have 2?:D

Im my opinion - its not just the 'plain-ness' of the sculpt, the model is unbalanced.

if you looked head on then all the 'weight' is on the model's left side - whilst the right side is distincly lacking...

strv
23-05-2006, 20:41
Agreing with Sylass:
The base is way boring at the moment for an GD entry. And to even, I would make a few low "hills" in gs, add sand over that, then a few plants, and grass.

Festus
23-05-2006, 21:06
Hi

Agree with Sylass on the Base.

There seems to be a spot of *greenstuffing* you seem to have missed: At the lower right side of the horse's neck is still a gap left, if I am not mistaken.

Greetings
Festus

Mortare
23-05-2006, 21:55
I agree with the base talk, the same way it improved the look of your chaplain, this needs some work. But at the starting stage its fine, sure you can sort it later. Did you have any designs in mind for the skirts of the mount, frecoes, etc? Looking forward to seeing what you have in store for us

Deadite
24-05-2006, 15:27
Im my opinion - its not just the 'plain-ness' of the sculpt, the model is unbalanced.

if you looked head on then all the 'weight' is on the model's left side - whilst the right side is distincly lacking...

Is that not the way a proper lady is to sit upon a striding horse? ;)
The Bretonnian ladies/maidens (or sorceresses, whatever) and the Empire Ice Queen (I think) are the only female models I know of that actually straddle the mount while in a dress.

It's really not that bad. I'm just curious, have you actually seen the mtd Lahmian models up close? How about Belladonna? Extra baggage might make them look unbalanced more than the way they are now.

I would suggest more frills and other gs-ed lacy patterns on both sides (possibly as trim around the barding) to add more "weight" to the overall design and reduce the amount of negative space on the model. Perhaps even an elegant saddle blanket that can flow from the "negative" side to help balance it out.
Hopefully we'll see plenty of freehand design work (or other related artwork) to fill some of the negative space and add to the regal-ness of the Lahmian queens.

As for the base... I think everyone's missing the fact that it's an unfinished base. The wood doesn't appear to be stained/sealed, and it looks as though the model is set on the base, rather than in the base. When painted over, that turf looks like really fine ground (possibly sand).

You asked for a name, well, it might help to know how you plan to paint it. Any kind of ethnic flair as in the queens from the land of Nehekhara and Araby - Neferata for example, or from one of the far flung corners of the Olde World to which the Lahmians have discreetly ventured, Bretonnia or Tilea for example. Might give us a clue to a seductive name.

HiredSword.
24-05-2006, 16:29
a second cat may work really nicely actually. If you really want to play with the character of a lahmian then paint the one in her lap in a light, pleasant colour while the one behind her dark and perhaps in a defenzive position or with a bird in its mouth.

Deadite
24-05-2006, 16:39
I guess I'm one of the few that disagrees with the addition of another cat to the model. To me, it would make the Lahmian queens look too much like crazy cat ladies... you know, the kind who pick up strays to have someone to talk to/take care of and eventually wind up with dozens of cats defecating all over the house, perhaps even dead cats in zip-lock bags in the freezer... just... wrong. :p
And I really don't like the image of the crazy cat lady from the Simpsons http://www2.newpaltz.edu/%7Eohanlo39/ being associated with beguiling vampiric vixens... *shudders*

Red Scorpion
25-05-2006, 00:53
I agree with the other posters on the base, it looks dreadfully plain, basing is one of my favourite parts of miniature making, the correct finish to bring a miniature together...
I stopped using standard flock when I discovered the delights of static flock a year or so after starting GW stuff, I just think the stuff brings down the look of models. You can get static flock in a number of different shades, something like a dried grass, sort of tan, would look brilliant here, over some barren earth.
As for the miniature itself, I think the clean look of the saddle etc. looks good, befitting a Countess, where I could imagine a Necrearch vampire having his steed loaded with stuff, it seems more feminine if you go for a fancy caparison.
Good luck! The greenstuffing looks top notch btw, just at a great standard, not too brash, or "look at me, I can sculpt!".
Cheers,
Chris

Serpent
25-05-2006, 05:58
I tend to agree with most posters. The rear right side of the model would do with something. And I'm advocating for both frills and cat. The white/black cat image is a good one. Especially with the black cat having a bird in its mouth... :evilgrin: :D

If you're confident enough with your GS (and you seem to be), add necklaces or similar to the cats. The Egyptian imagery pictures cats as divine. Hell, get the cats some pearls, then...

On that topic, great GS:ed frills and pearls on the horse head.

Serpent

Conipto
25-05-2006, 10:17
Since we've all seen that your sculpting is more than up to it, how about a resculpt of the awful GW horse tail..

Bill

Cheatah
25-05-2006, 13:03
Maybe you could also add some jewelry or some stuff at the bottom rim of the barding, like you did at the neck.