PDA

View Full Version : Games workshop tv show

Grocklock
11-03-2013, 10:43
Warhammer world Facebook page is talking about a tv show no real info at this point. Other then the mention of it.

budman
11-03-2013, 10:47
Anything but a reailty show !

Grocklock
11-03-2013, 10:54
http://careers.games-workshop.com/category/vacancies-by-role/gwtv/

Scammel
11-03-2013, 10:57
I'm not sure it'll be a proper TV show, more just like a daily video on their website.

ORKY ARD BOYZ
11-03-2013, 11:01
And here I was looking forward to 'The Adventures of Calgar'

drmarco
11-03-2013, 13:02
I'm suspecting something more akin to what 'beasts of war' do (http://www.beastsofwar.com/) - either as an online presence as a tv show/video-podcast or downloadable content. They already seem to have branched into that setting with the 'How to paint citadel miniatures' DVD, and forgeworld/'what's new' video teasers, but seem to recognize that they lack the skill set in the teams they have for a 'tv-presenter' (the how to paint citadel miniatures dvd was nicely filmed, but sounded and ran like a 1970's open university tv show, or the kind of documentary you might be forced to endure in a school classroom);to give such an endeavor the polish a proper show would need it would require someone who's not just a hobbyist, but also has the charisma to get other hobbyists to listen/care.

I would certainly be interested if the content was regular, and gave us useful tips, dynamic painting guides, pre-release information, or an interesting glimpse behind the design processes etc. Look how well received the Phil Kelly/Jes Goodwin youtube 'making of the dark eldar' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oatGPbCSIU) stuff was...

Cheers,

M

Gingerwerewolf
11-03-2013, 13:03
They did make a TV show - The Crystal Maze - the zones and puzzles were developed by them.

However, that bit of nostalgia withstanding, it does sound interesting...

Scammel
11-03-2013, 13:35
They did make a TV show - The Crystal Maze - the zones and puzzles were developed by them.

Really? The things you learn...

drmarco
11-03-2013, 13:48
If you think back, it always had that 'Alan Jones' vibe...

Chapters Unwritten
11-03-2013, 16:49
I'm suspecting something more akin to what 'beasts of war' do (http://www.beastsofwar.com/) - either as an online presence as a tv show/video-podcast or downloadable content. They already seem to have branched into that setting with the 'How to paint citadel miniatures' DVD, and forgeworld/'what's new' video teasers, but seem to recognize that they lack the skill set in the teams they have for a 'tv-presenter' (the how to paint citadel miniatures dvd was nicely filmed, but sounded and ran like a 1970's open university tv show, or the kind of documentary you might be forced to endure in a school classroom);to give such an endeavor the polish a proper show would need it would require someone who's not just a hobbyist, but also has the charisma to get other hobbyists to listen/care.

I would certainly be interested if the content was regular, and gave us useful tips, dynamic painting guides, pre-release information, or an interesting glimpse behind the design processes etc. Look how well received the Phil Kelly/Jes Goodwin youtube 'making of the dark eldar' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oatGPbCSIU) stuff was...

Cheers,

M
Thoguhtful, but I don't buy it. GW are not interested in a quality product and certainly aren't interested in doing anything not obscenely monetized.

This is just so they can file copyrights and such and produce a terribad half-assed "show" that will then enable them to C&D other websites like Beasts of War. Sole reason, I would wager.

Konovalev
11-03-2013, 17:03
GW General is leaking.

Surgency
11-03-2013, 17:05
Thats okay, it gives some posters more opportunity to spout GW hate for everyone to see

Chapters Unwritten
11-03-2013, 17:27
It's not hate, it's obvious corporate tactics.

A show has no monetary value for them; there are tons of free podcasts and web series that do the same. If you follow this stuff, you will know that recently many such organizations and the retailers who back them have been putting a marked effort into putting a ding in GW's bottom line (and even those that don't obviously recommend us alternative models and materials all the time that GW would rather its customer base never even know existed).

It sounds silly but it would (from a corporate analysis perspective) be much better to marginalize competition then to actually compete back.

I guarantee you that within a year of this show sites like Beast of War or any others who do something similar will get C&Ds. Only the poor ones who can't afford to defend themselves, of course...

Surgency
11-03-2013, 17:31
It's not hate, it's obvious corporate tactics.

Warhammer world Facebook page is talking about a tv show no real info at this point. Other then the mention of it.

Obvious corporate tactics from a facebook post that has no real info on it other than a brief mention?

Nope. Not hate at all. How could I have been so blind to not see the truth...

JWhex
11-03-2013, 18:02
I guarantee you that within a year of this show sites like Beast of War or any others who do something similar will get C&Ds. Only the poor ones who can't afford to defend themselves, of course...

This sounds over the top to me, even for GW antics.

Chapters Unwritten
11-03-2013, 19:26
Why is it so hard to believe? Is it really any less realistic than the idea they are going to actually produce a show? Have you guys looked at how this company does business? Have you seen their cookie cutter magazine lately?

You can call it hate all you want, I'm not the one wearing the blinders here. The company is certainly not out to make a helpful contribution to its playerbase and if, as an educated GW consumer, that is still your default assumption, that's on you for not paying attention to their conventions lately.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ssilmath
11-03-2013, 19:39
I'm curious Chapters, do you require your club members to wear tinfoil hats to shield them from the evils of GW?

Wintermute
11-03-2013, 19:47
I've moved this thread to GW General.

Wintermute

elgazzo
11-03-2013, 19:54
Looking at the careers page, it looks like a lot of people are jumping ship.

Surgency
11-03-2013, 20:13
You can call it hate all you want, I'm not the one wearing the blinders here. The company is certainly not out to make a helpful contribution to its playerbase and if, as an educated GW consumer, that is still your default assumption, that's on you for not paying attention to their conventions lately.

I think you'd get a better reaction if you didn't go from

Howdy all- on the GW careers page right now, there is an advert up for a TV presenter, which is pretty cool! Got me thinking- what kind of spin-off , hobby-based TV shows would you love to see get made.... Nick

to

A show has no monetary value for them...........I guarantee you that within a year of this show sites like Beast of War or any others who do something similar will get C&Ds. Only the poor ones who can't afford to defend themselves, of course...

Unless, of course, you already know exactly what their idea of a TV presenter is?

Next thing you know you'll be claiming that GW flies black helicopters over our heads to monitor our purchasing habits...

violenceha
11-03-2013, 21:04
Wait, did that quote refer to the hobby based stuff as "spin off"?

Daniel36
11-03-2013, 21:31
It would be great if this was like "The Office"... but I doubt it. :P

Inquisitor Engel
11-03-2013, 21:39
Looks like a webcast or podcast show. Great move IMHO.

lbecks
11-03-2013, 23:57

Or After Lately.

Just show the hijinks of Jes Goodwin, The Perry Twins, and the rest of the design staff as the show explores the behind the scenes workings of Games Workshop. Oh the Finecast jokes they could make.

Grocklock
12-03-2013, 00:07
Looking at the careers page, it looks like a lot of people are jumping ship.

Or the company could be expanding

Hengist
12-03-2013, 01:01
This sounds over the top to me, even for GW antics.

I'd have said that about the 'Spots the Space Marine' business, too.

I am, however, willing to give GW the benefit of the doubt - a regular video blog with painting articles would actually be very useful, as well as being a clever bit of marketing. (The odds are, of course, that GWTV will indeed be vacuous content-free promotional gibberish just like White Dwarf, but we should be fair and wait until we've seen that it's terrible before we put the boot in.)

Dryaktylus
12-03-2013, 01:58
Looks like a webcast or podcast show. Great move IMHO.

Standard Bearer. 24h. :p

Caiphas Cain
12-03-2013, 03:47
Standard Bearer. 24h. :p

Oh god. :D

jack da greenskin
12-03-2013, 08:24
I find it hard to believe they'll have a witty, charismatic present who will toe the company line. Pointing out flaws and laughing about oddities wont reflect well on product.

Liber
12-03-2013, 09:48
I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on this one.

Really, as far as PR goes, GW can't get much lower, so IMO any move is a good move at this point.

And besides, it could possibly be more than just thinly disguised ads for products. You never know.

zoggin-eck
12-03-2013, 10:07
I look forward to a giant photos of Jervis' and Jeremy's faces alternating with music borrowed from the Ultramarine movie.

Yuck, I hope not. The format has been done to death, and that includes regional variants of the same show!

Shadey
12-03-2013, 12:00

Cheers,

M

That would be ironic if they did as I believe Beasts of War where one of those 'free loaders' Wells was referring to. I am unsure if he was thinking of a few specific internet stores but by his words he didn't exclude any either with his generalization.

Blenk87
12-03-2013, 15:54
This is just so they can file copyrights and such and produce a terribad half-assed "show" that will then enable them to C&D other websites like Beasts of War. Sole reason, I would wager.

I don't see how they could C&D commentary/review videos it's a pretty basic concept. I would imagine any attempt by GW would be laughed out of the courts.

It's more than likely they are going to roll out promo videos, maybe behind the scenes and unboxings. It unlikely to be paint tutorials etc because as already pointed out they make money off that sort of thing.

It also won't be anywhere near as good as the many commentators out there as it won't have any level of critique in it, it will just all be hand wavy and shiny.

duffybear1988
12-03-2013, 16:58
Well this will be something to avoid like the plague! Let me guess - 2 muppets sat around a table talking about how awesome the latest release is. They won't even need a script because it's already written in White Dwarf!

sigur
12-03-2013, 17:00
At this point in time, I'd be almost willing to believe Chapters Unwritten's theory. :D

Anyhow, these online videocasts are booming. I don't care much because videos take up too much of my attention and time but if you look for instance at the success that BoW is, or the German Magabotato.... the thing is though that a GW vidcast could never become popular with viewers. The problem about being the market leader and not really being communicative at all, don't react to critizism and shut down any channels that voice it, you can't do popular PR.

duffybear1988
12-03-2013, 17:27
I'm curious Chapters, do you require your club members to wear tinfoil hats to shield them from the evils of GW?
:shifty:

Hey man don't knock Chapters (the cynic in you knows he is right).

And anyway tinfoil hats were so last century... :D

EmperorNorton
12-03-2013, 17:56
I'm going to be cautiously optimistic on this one.

Really, as far as PR goes, GW can't get much lower, so IMO any move is a good move at this point.

And besides, it could possibly be more than just thinly disguised ads for products. You never know.

Five bucks say it involves kicking puppies.

Herzlos
12-03-2013, 18:48
I don't see how they could C&D commentary/review videos it's a pretty basic concept. I would imagine any attempt by GW would be laughed out of the courts.

That's never stopped them issuing C&D's before. Usually towards people who can't afford to fight back even if the C&D is baseless. But there are already plenty of threads about that...

Danny76
12-03-2013, 19:04
Next thing you know you'll be claiming that GW flies black helicopters over our heads to monitor our purchasing habits...

You've seen them too..

Blenk87
12-03-2013, 20:55
Usually towards people who can't afford to fight back even if the C&D is baseless

I'm no lawyer but you wouldn't need to fight it, just ignore it if its baseless. They could take you to court but wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Blenk87
12-03-2013, 20:57
Before this thread goes of topic however it is at least a step in the right direction from GW in actually engaging the customer base, it might be an out let to cover FAQs and game mechanics which would be useful if not interesting

Herzlos
12-03-2013, 21:27
I'm no lawyer but you wouldn't need to fight it, just ignore it if its baseless. They could take you to court but wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Yup you can just ignore it, but if it does get taken to court you'll still need to pay for legal representation (unless you do it yourself) to prove it's baseless, and even if you got your expenses back it could bankrupt you. Have a look at some of the claims in the Chapterhouse case (such as copyrights in question being requested after the case started, and things the copyright office have said aren't copyrightable). Even the defence of a completely nonsense case can overburden smaller players financially.

JWhex
13-03-2013, 01:50
GW cant even produce a magazine worth reading and they have had decades of experience in trying to make it worthwhile. I really dont think they are capable of making interesting videos and they are not exactly flooding the internet with worthwhile painting or modelling articles.

Might be some good material to spoof with voice overs and post on you tube though.

13-03-2013, 02:49
Yeah, with some parties you can say "just ignore the letter and they will go away". GW is, frankly, less likely to go away than most.

That said, in this case they really wouldn't have a leg to stand on, but I hate to criticize them on a subject where they haven't actually done something offensive (when there are so many related topics where they have!)

At any rate, could this be cool? Sure, it's possible. Certainly guys working at the GW studio, with access to endless bitz, could create some nice conversions, etc. It might be difficult to monetize, sure, but it wouldn't be totally out of line relative to their blog, etc. Of course it could turn into lameness - that's the way to bet with anything new, really - but that's no reason to bury it before it's born.

Caiphas Cain
13-03-2013, 03:43
GW cant even produce a magazine worth reading and they have had decades of experience in trying to make it worthwhile. I really dont think they are capable of making interesting videos and they are not exactly flooding the internet with worthwhile painting or modelling articles.

Might be some good material to spoof with voice overs and post on you tube though.

Ha! I think you volunteered yourself for something. ;)

The bearded one
13-03-2013, 04:01
I'll see whatever it is, whenever I see it.

Wouldn't mind it, the vids they did for the likes of dark eldar and tomb kings were nifty. Videos might work as a way of showing off what's new about a new army, but no company can really review its own product (if they could, and point out the flaws themselves, they should after all be fixing the flaws!), so it'd probably only be useful as preview vids. I suppose in video, as opposed to a written article, the person has less time to formulate his thoughts so he'd have to actually talk about the subject rather than tow a company line, unless they're reading a script word for word of course.

Shadey
13-03-2013, 04:07

To be fair, I think White Dwarf was very readable for a large part of those decades. Hasn't been for a few years though.

As for those decrying the conspiracy theories, a few years ago I would not have given any credit to the idea that GW would try to claim piles of skulls as copyrighted. Nor would I have believed they would put embargoes on half of the world, impose multiple trade restrictions on their independents at every chance, outright lie about the colours used in painting articles, try to claim Space Marine in a country and domain (literature) they simply do not have the rights to, call their biggest independents leeches, switch to a cheaper material with a cheap casting process producing systemic quality issues all the time while singing it is the best thing and charging well above the market, the new 'splash release' style for all finecast leaving independents clueless about whether they will continue to have access to any one finecast, online advertising and shopping cart restrictions. There is a lot of evidence out there for how deplorable GW has treated people, how cynical and greedy it has been. If you can't see that, then that, is delusion.

This attitude towards them hasn't come out of nowhere, GW have well and truly earned it. While I would agree many people take it too far, I can't blame people for being cynical. Personally, I doubt anything good will come of this show but I won't and have never condemned them on any one aspect until (and if) they offend. As such I am cautiously optimistic.

As Avatar said above, there is plenty of real concerns to object to, we don't need to make up new ones, which yes, some people do do.

rtmonkeyboy
14-03-2013, 12:15
All they need to do is hire this lass! http://www.facebook.com/TheJoeyberry

Siam-Tiger
14-03-2013, 18:50
Hmm, i would expect that you will be charged for watching the show on itunes or something like that. Just a wild guess, but in the range of possiblity.