PDA

View Full Version : Mk IX armor? Or just extreme artistic license?

MajorWesJanson
11-03-2013, 18:06

Probably artistic license, like the GK armor on the cover of Victories of the Space marines, but there are a number of distinct design elements here-
-Larger powerfist appearing bracers, similar to GK armor on VotSM and Mk VIII armor.
-Larger elbow pads
-Extended shoulderpads
-Angular chestplate with semi-armored abdomen
-Angular helmet.

Angry SisterOfBattle Nerd
11-03-2013, 18:28
Artificer armor ;).

NixonAsADaemonPrince
11-03-2013, 18:30
Whether it is MkIX or not, I think it looks rather awesome, and very much hope that some models in the style are released.

Azazyll
11-03-2013, 18:39
There's been a lot of playing around with the armor since FW started writing the Heresy books. I like how they're finding the origins in some of the old CSM armor designs in Heresy-era imperial designs, such as the Phoenician pattern helms used by the Emperor's Children.

Askil the Undecided
11-03-2013, 21:37
Artistic license. Mark IIX is still new there won't be a mark IX until the 42nd millenuim when someone finds a problem with Mark IIX.

Goosey_J
12-03-2013, 00:52
Whatever the case, it looks awesome.

Azazyll
12-03-2013, 03:34
Artistic license. Mark IIX is still new there won't be a mark IX until the 42nd millenuim when someone finds a problem with Mark IIX.

They were already developing Mark VIII at the end of the Heresy. At the very least aquila armor was introduced during the Heresy, so one new design in 10k years isn't exactly indicative of any kind of trend.

Nothing in the imperium is new :D Even Storm Eagles are several hundred years old, and based on millenia-old STCs.

Commissar_Dashie
12-03-2013, 04:44
Whether it is a new MkIX Armour, or just some fancy artificer armour... I want some models like that, it's awesome stuff!

Grimbad
12-03-2013, 16:48
Jeepers that's a ridiculous illustration. I wish GW would rein space marine art back in one of these days.

Erazmus_M_Wattle
12-03-2013, 16:52
I would say its artificer armour and I think it looks cool. :)

Askil the Undecided
12-03-2013, 20:25
I meant the that mk8 is new enough for it not yet have been produced in a sufficient number to outfit any significant portion of the standing numbers of space marines.

Tygre
13-03-2013, 03:48
Just looks like fancy MkVII to me. The 'power fist' is just his arm and gauntlet. It just looks big because of the angle.

budman
13-03-2013, 11:57
I think gw have to do it to help with the IP thing expect the chapterhouse stuff not to fit these Mark 9's not very well in 2014

I'd bet money on it...

TheRedAngel
13-03-2013, 15:33
They were already developing Mark VIII at the end of the Heresy. At the very least aquila armor was introduced during the Heresy, so one new design in 10k years isn't exactly indicative of any kind of trend.

Nothing in the imperium is new :D Even Storm Eagles are several hundred years old, and based on millenia-old STCs.
Is that new background?
I thought MK VII was the new thing in the last months of the heresy and MK VIII being the only variant developed after the end of the heresy, and thus still so rare.

The armour in the pic reminds me slightly of the 'alternate universe: Dornian heresy'* MKXVI servoarmour.

*By the way, where is the much awaited second part of this excellent fanfic? Does anyone know?

budman
14-03-2013, 13:29
The armour in the pic reminds me slightly of the 'alternate universe: Dornian heresy'* MKXVI servoarmour.

Yes I knew I had seen Something like it before

LifeofBrian
17-03-2013, 00:08
That's just artistic license.

Askil the Undecided
17-03-2013, 08:24
The chestplate rather reminds me of the brotherhood of steel from fallout maybe when asked to draw power armour the artist got the wrong base image on his google search then quickly shoved pauldrons and a bolter on when he realised his cockup.

theunwantedbeing
17-03-2013, 10:22
Artistic license....I'm sure the original sets of armours all started off due to artistic license with the original design anyway and soon the fluff writers needed to come up with a reason for the various artists to have drawn their beloved space marines in differing suits of armour.

Anywho...roll on my MarkXXVII armour(it's re-coloured mark 4, but inside its the awesomest ever with a power level of over 9 thousand gajllion)!

RagnarBlackmane
17-03-2013, 15:55
Mark VIII was simply a final mod on the MK VII and made post heresy. If you want to see loads of new/ different marks just look at great crusade/heresy ultramarines.

Hrw-Amen
18-03-2013, 19:39
I think it actually looks pretty ridiculous but I expect most of that is down to the angle. The body looks so huge with a little tiny pea sized head. He must have a very long neck or it is some kind of dreadnought.