PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on some 40k novels

welshrat
11-03-2013, 20:41
Ive had a bit of a break from 40k but am looking for some opinions on some books ive missed.

Only really have time to read the better novels these days so if something isn't good please don't hold back. Ive just finished the emperors gift and as usual Really enjoyed ADB's writing.

Ahiriman Exile

Fire Caste

Legion of the damned

Death of Antagonis

Wrath of iron

Commissar Andy hoare

Yarrick Chains of golgotha
(http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/chains-of-golgotha.html)Space Wolves: Blood of Asaheim (http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/blood-of-asaheim.html)
The salamander novels

The soul drinker series

Any of the path of (dark or normal Eldar)

Xisor
11-03-2013, 20:51
Of those I've read, I'd probably rate them thus:

Top tier: Ahiriman Exile, Legion of the Damned
Second tier: Wrath of Iron, All Path of the Eldar.
Third tier: Death of Antagonis, Salamanders, Soul Drinkers.

With Blood of Asaheim, I've heard very good things about it - but it is a bit more expensive, so you could probably buy most of the Soul Drinker books for the same cost. With the others, Andy Hoare's generally fairly readable (if not super duper amazing). Haven't read enough of Annandale or Fehervari to comment on the novella or Fire Caste.

Ahriman: Exile and Legion of the Damned are delightfully well composed novels though. (Be warned: the blurb on 'Legion of the Damned' is accurate - the actual, ghostly legion don't dominate the novel; there's more than one meaning to the phrase 'legion of the damned'. Beautiful novel though - too many folks get caught up on complaining that it's not 100% about the ghostly legionaries.)

budman
11-03-2013, 22:33
Legion of the damned - awesome book but needs a rename Xisor is spot on the money

Death of Antagonis - not finished, but I like the mary sue sister of battle about time they got some love

Wrath of iron - Very dark not very fun but well written

The salamander novels - I hated the first one but my best friend loved it

The soul drinker series -first three are fun ride mad crazy

Any of the path of (Eldar) the way of the warrior is good but the idea of the same story being told in an overlaping fashion meant I lost the will to care mid way thought book 2's rerun of the events of book one

I can't wait to get my hands on a paper copy of Ahiriman Exile

Killgore
16-03-2013, 11:03
Path of eldar Outcast the third in the series was much better than the other two, there was a lot less overlap and the events leading up to the final conflict were much more interesting.

welshrat
17-03-2013, 18:04
Thanks very much for the replies. Out of curiosity what in your opinions have been the best books or short stories of the last year?

shadowhawk2008
17-03-2013, 18:53
best books of last year? - Deliverance Lost, Know No Fear, Valkia the Bloody, Legion of the Damned, Phalanx, Fear To Tread, Emperor's Gift, Priests of Mars, The Great Betrayal.

shorts? - umm... can't say off the top of my head, though I did enjoy a lot of the eShorts. In terms of anthologies, Treacheries of the Space Marines, Gotrek & Felix, and Shadows of Treachery were excellent.

Apfeljunge
18-03-2013, 17:13
Best of 2012

Novels:
Pariah
Angel Exterminatus (I'm counting Betrayer as a 2013 release)
Angel Of Fire
Void Stalker
path of The outcast
Legion of the Damned
Wrath of Iron
The Emperor's Gift
Priests of Mars

i may or may not do the short stories later..

Edit:
Forgot Know no fear, how could I?

welshrat
18-03-2013, 19:34
Thanks very much,hope you get chance.

Apfeljunge
19-03-2013, 17:26
Short stories from 2012 I liked:
Perihelion
The Masters, Bidding
The Bitter End
Vox Dominus
Kraken

There were more I liked but they all have been re-releases from other formats/publications so I don't think they count.

Anakwanar
21-03-2013, 15:19
The best novels from 2012 - Betrayer, Pariah and Void Stalker; the best shorts - The Bitter End; Vox Dominus; Perihelion.
The best novels from BL so far: all Gaunt Ghosts; all Eisenhorn, Ravenor; Horus Rising; Legion; Cadian blood. Best shorts or novellas so far - Serpent Beneath; Crimson Fist.