PDA

View Full Version : xenos exterminatus methods

Camman1984
12-03-2013, 16:56
How do the non imeperial races take out a planet? Is the giant linear accelerator in a craftworld (bf gothic) powerful to take out a whole planet? Do do the orks ever decide a fight is just not worth it? What about the tau or necrons?

Lionsprey
12-03-2013, 17:10
Im not certain but i doubt that orks would have a weapon capable of that because they would ether overuse it or consider it "cheating"/not fun
Necrons most likely have one but i can't think of one right now.

Camman1984
12-03-2013, 17:29
I imagine orks accidently doing it by using to big/dense a hulk travelling too fast against a geologically unstable planet lol.

Sandrios
12-03-2013, 17:49
The Necrons did have one 'The World Engine', this could eliminate all life on a planet and take on hundreds of imperial fleets. It was destroyed by the Astral Knights or the Astral Claws (can't remember which one) but the entire chapter was defeated. The Orks would build one that would likely explode when used due to their useless technical abilities, the Eldar wwould just be bringing to much attention to themselves and the Tau wouldn't have one as they want an empire if thousands of races not just hundreds of dead planets in their way.

Dylius
12-03-2013, 18:27
I think I saw a GW campaign involving Orks, called the Rok of Ages that destroyed the planet if it hit it, but this was more due to poor planning on the Orks (after all, you can't have a good fight if you're dead).

Lothlanathorian
12-03-2013, 18:48
In BFG, any fleet could have a ship carrying an exterminatus weapon for that mission, but, it never went into detail about what those weapons might be. And, as for Orks, if not built themselves, they could have salvaged exterminatus-level weapons from derelicts and hulks.

Harwammer
12-03-2013, 19:03
In BFG, any fleet could have a ship carrying an exterminatus weapon for that mission, but, it never went into detail about what those weapons might be. And, as for Orks, if not built themselves, they could have salvaged exterminatus-level weapons from derelicts and hulks.

The Ork exterminatus is surely crashing their fleet into the planet then having surviving orks wipe out surviving natives :p

Lord Damocles
12-03-2013, 19:49
The Eldar have access to weapons such as the Akiliamor, which were '...those weapons which allowed us [Eldar] once to control the stars and carve an empire in blood and glory'.

They feature in 'The World of the Bloodied Sword' in White Dwarf 236 (UK), pgs.25-7, where they are eventually used to exterminate the population of the planet Taqamathi; 'Then a chain reaction began to build as the dark matter at the centre of each weapon was released and began to accumulate. We watched a cloud of death spreading across the face of our ancient home. / Fields were stripped bare, the rocks crumbled to dust, the seas boiled into the air creating massive electrical storms across the skies, all living things were scattered to the howling winds. / A final eruption of power shattered the world's skin causing great volcanoes to spring into life belching rock and dust into the already polluted atmosphere. Cracks and rents ripped across her once beautiful continents.'

Polaria
12-03-2013, 19:53
Necron codex mentions a device which can make a star go supernova on command. It doesn't even have to be in the same star-system to work. I think that would count as Exterminatus.

Haskear
12-03-2013, 22:25
The orks are an exterminatus weapon?

Nazrax
13-03-2013, 06:02
The Necrons have the Celestial Orrery which is mentioned by Polaria above. The only thing I would question about it is that the description says..."Snuff out one of these lights[stars] and its physical counterpart will go supernova long millennia before its destined time, bringing fiery oblivion to all nearby worlds."
The part about "millennia before its destined time.." that has always made me think that perhaps the device doesnt make the star go supernova right away but that it somehow causes the star to age faster than normal. Maybe it makes it burn up its fuel faster or causes the various "shells" to "vibrate" and bounce off of each other resulting in a supernova, perhaps? Fun to speculate!
After all if what we know about stars applies to the 40k universe than they have lifespans of millions, billions and possibly trillions of years-depending on size. As an aside: Who here doesnt think that the birth, life and death of stars is absolutely fascinating?

I would like to think that Necrons can instantly destroy stars(and they probably can) but in this instance I am not certain that this device does that. I do believe that because of the mutability of the 40k fluff that another person can think the device works that way and be correct.

After thinking more on the subject: I want to say that there is mention in some BL books about Necrons having star destroying technology and perhaps evening using it. I sure wish I could remember what book(s), if any, said that!

Hellebore
13-03-2013, 06:45
The Eldar have access to weapons such as the Akiliamor, which were '...those weapons which allowed us [Eldar] once to control the stars and carve an empire in blood and glory'.

They feature in 'The World of the Bloodied Sword' in White Dwarf 236 (UK), pgs.25-7, where they are eventually used to exterminate the population of the planet Taqamathi; 'Then a chain reaction began to build as the dark matter at the centre of each weapon was released and began to accumulate. We watched a cloud of death spreading across the face of our ancient home. / Fields were stripped bare, the rocks crumbled to dust, the seas boiled into the air creating massive electrical storms across the skies, all living things were scattered to the howling winds. / A final eruption of power shattered the world's skin causing great volcanoes to spring into life belching rock and dust into the already polluted atmosphere. Cracks and rents ripped across her once beautiful continents.'

The eldar seem to have as many ways to exterminate a planet as you can think of...

This is the first one that came to mind, from EPIC armageddon Swordwind:

VOID SPINNER
The Void Spinner is a sinister, barely known Engine of Vaul, unique to Biel-Tan and a handful of other craftworlds which follow the ideal of warrior supremacy. To most Eldar the Void Spinner is an abomination. To them it represents some of the most dangerous acts the Eldar capable of – the misuse of knowledge and power.
The Eldar possess many ancient and powerful technologies, and not all of them are meant for war. To the Eldar of Biel-Tan, however, anything which they can use to destroy the usurpers who seek to take their empire from them is more than acceptable in the course of war.
The Void Spinner is armed principally with the same kind of monofilament weaponry as the smaller Night Spinner, but within these barrages the Void Spinner unleashes the same bacteria and wraithbone parasites that the Eldar of old used in their seeding and nurturing of the Maiden worlds. The effect is to utterly scour all life from the target, not merely slaying them with the constricting and slicing threads of monofilament, but by breaking down the molecules of everything – flesh, bone, rock, metal – under the affected area.
To the minds of most Eldar, such methods were meant to create life – to shape worlds anew fit for the Eldar – not destroy it, and to such Eldar the Void Spinners are a thing of revulsion. To the Eldar of Biel-Tan, however, the destruction of their enemies is just the start, and after a successful campaign scores of Void Spinners are employed in scouring clean all the dirty remnants of Men, Orks or whatever other filthy race has tainted the world in the years since the Eldar’s Fall. With such cleansing complete, the Eldar continue to restore the world, seeding new Exodite worlds as they continue their ultimately futile struggle to restore the lost Eldar Empire.

They always seem to be dark and forbidden though.

Hellebore

BooTMGSG
13-03-2013, 13:16
Do do the orks ever decide a fight is just not worth it?
I suspect that any ork voicing such an opinion would have his teeth knocked out for unorky thinking.
A fight is always worth it, ok sometimes you have to get enough boyz together to make things fun, but fighting is the only thing of worth (well perhaps going faster, but thats only to get to the fight faster)

I could imagine a MekBoy desiging an exterminatus weapon pure in the pursuit of even bigger dakka, but eventually i would explode.

Retrospectus
13-03-2013, 14:49
I would think the tyranids might as well be a form of exterminatus themselves. wanna cleanse a planet? dangle some genestealers over it and get the hell out of the way!

TheRedAngel
13-03-2013, 15:36
The eldar also have some kind of 'uber-exterminatus' with apparently a 60 light year or more range. See the rulebook page 172, 'The great exodus'

Harwammer
13-03-2013, 15:44
The orks are an exterminatus weapon?

Technically, an orksterminatus weapon, yes.

Lord Damocles
13-03-2013, 19:29
I would like to think that Necrons can instantly destroy stars(and they probably can) but in this instance I am not certain that this device does that. I do believe that because of the mutability of the 40k fluff that another person can think the device works that way and be correct.

After thinking more on the subject: I want to say that there is mention in some BL books about Necrons having star destroying technology and perhaps evening using it. I sure wish I could remember what book(s), if any, said that!
Hellforged features a Necron fleet killing a star (pg.169) in order to charge their super-fast drives.

In Dawn of War: Ascension (pgs.523-5 of Blood Ravens: The Dawn of War Omnibus) a single Shroud class light cruiser causes a star to collapse.

'Dying Flame: The Last Stand of the Firbrands' in White Dwarf 287 (UK) (pg.67) has no less than five stars disappearing.

It should perhaps be noted that we have no idea how the Celestial Orrery works - if the star is killed relatively quicky, or some time in the distant future - or if the Orrery itself actually causes the death of the star; it could be that the Orrery dispatches a ship/fleet to the selected star, for example.

aim
13-03-2013, 21:10
I seem to remember someone having mentioned an Eldar weapon that can kill stars too in another thread a while back, I forget who though, my memory is good like that.

Nazrax
14-03-2013, 09:09
Hellforged features a Necron fleet killing a star (pg.169) in order to charge their super-fast drives.

In Dawn of War: Ascension (pgs.523-5 of Blood Ravens: The Dawn of War Omnibus) a single Shroud class light cruiser causes a star to collapse.

'Dying Flame: The Last Stand of the Firbrands' in White Dwarf 287 (UK) (pg.67) has no less than five stars disappearing.

It should perhaps be noted that we have no idea how the Celestial Orrery works - if the star is killed relatively quicky, or some time in the distant future - or if the Orrery itself actually causes the death of the star; it could be that the Orrery dispatches a ship/fleet to the selected star, for example.

Aahh, Lord Damocles to the rescue! Thank you kind sir, you are always fantastic for fluff knowledge! I wish I had your library and/or your memory! :)

Still Standing
14-03-2013, 16:01
After all if what we know about stars applies to the 40k universe than they have lifespans of millions, billions and possibly trillions of years-depending on size. As an aside: Who here doesnt think that the birth, life and death of stars is absolutely fascinating?

The universe is around 14 billion years old. I find it unlikely that there are stars with lifespans 1 million billion years long (and so does physics)...

Menthak
14-03-2013, 21:56
I suspect that any ork voicing such an opinion would have his teeth knocked out for unorky thinking.
A fight is always worth it, ok sometimes you have to get enough boyz together to make things fun, but fighting is the only thing of worth (well perhaps going faster, but thats only to get to the fight faster)

I could imagine a MekBoy desiging an exterminatus weapon pure in the pursuit of even bigger dakka, but eventually i would explode.

If you've got enough Dakka to destroy a planet. You've got enough.

I don't know if you'd count it, but on the third Dawn of War (Dark Crusade) If the Tau win, they sterilize the Human population (a bit of crap fluff if you ask me, but hey ho), now I'm not sure if you'd consider it exterminatus.

Lord Damocles
14-03-2013, 23:26
The Tau do seperate the male and female humans into different camps though - so that would have something to do with the decreasing population.

Kakapo42
15-03-2013, 01:09
The Tau do seperate the male and female humans into different camps though - so that would have something to do with the decreasing population.

Correct. Contrary to popular belief, it is never explicitly stated any sterilisation takes place. That is merely stated as a conspiracy theory in the Imperium.

On the subject, I do believe there is a section of background somewhere in the Deathwatch RPG about a Death World the Tau use as a test-site for a variety of Exterminatus-grade weapons.

baphomael
15-03-2013, 01:30
A note about the Celestial Orrery.... it appears to be a truly ancient relic that is warded by a single dynasty. Its used sparingly and with great care by its guardians. .. I dont think its a weapon as such but rather a set of shears for galactic topiarists. They use it to alter the galaxy when necessary to promote growth in the same way that a bonsai tree requires careful pruning and patient attention.

SomeRandomEvilGuy
15-03-2013, 04:10
Correct. Contrary to popular belief, it is never explicitly stated any sterilisation takes place. That is merely stated as a conspiracy theory in the Imperium.
It doesn't really matter though. The outcome and presumably the intent are the same. Arguably it's just a more brutal way of ensuring they can't reproduce (since you presumably wouldn't even be able to see loved ones of the opposite gender). Regardless of the method, the Tau were still drastically reducing the population of Humans on the planet for their own purposes.

On the subject, I do believe there is a section of background somewhere in the Deathwatch RPG about a Death World the Tau use as a test-site for a variety of Exterminatus-grade weapons.
I wonder how that works? How do you re-use it if you've just destroyed all life on it?

acme2468
15-03-2013, 06:24
Personally I can't see Orks 'Intentionally' destroying a planet, after all thats where all the loot is. Now "Accidently" that I can see, Mekboyz constantly searching for ways to make weapons more killy and devastating could easily reach planetary destruction level , probably on the planet they're standing on unfortunately.

Still Standing
15-03-2013, 06:34
Mek Boy adding more dakka to a captured Nova Cannon accidentally ends up punching a hole directly through the planets crust causing extinction level tectonic instability, massive caldera eruptions and even disrupting the planetary core causing the planets atmosphere to drift off into space. Oops.

Grocklock
15-03-2013, 09:55
Orks have ork rocks. Throw that at a planet and you can wipe most life out on a planet. Worked for the dinosaurs

Sekhmet
15-03-2013, 10:41
Orks have ork rocks. Throw that at a planet and you can wipe most life out on a planet. Worked for the dinosaurs

I want to imagine an orksterminatus weapon involving a herd of void whales somehow.

olberon
15-03-2013, 12:55
Orks:
I could imagine them smashing huge chunks on space debry into a planet with traktorbeamz and the like, helll some of them might even be "piloted"

Necrons:
they are bound to have some kind of weapon, arcane and verry destructive, why destroy a planet if you can destroy a whole solar system

Eldar/dark eldar:
i could imagine a kind of dark matter device, man portable (kinda like a suitcase nuke)or even a cascade device shaking he planet to its doom
for dark eldar freezing its core and letting the planet slowly die would be the ultimate rush.

tau:
these guys are a hard one..... tho if they had the choice of weapon i think a super pulse energy beam weapon

Still Standing
15-03-2013, 13:06
I would imagine the Tau use mass drivers / rail guns. Think Babylon 5.

LordLucan
15-03-2013, 14:05
I reckon the Dark Eldar glass virus could be used as an exterminatus weapon if released over a wide area, if one were so inclined. However, I don't think Dark Eldar would want to exterminate a planetary population. Planets are the dark Eldars' game reserves, where they hunt their mortal prey.

Orks have roks which cause mass destruction, but the orks also likely don't want to exterminate a planet. Not when there's good fighting to do.

Craftworlders have several exterminatus methods, detailed above by other posters.

Necorns have world engines (Borsis, the infamous world engine, was actually just a tomb world which fully activated and became mobile iirc). They have the orrery too, and even their larger energy weapons have energy sources that, if breached, can destroy entire planetary populations (as the orks learned to their cost when trying to break open one of the guns).

Tyranids ARE an exterminatus by their very nature.

I'm not sure, but I think only the Tau lack the ability to utterly destroy a biosphere rapidly. They could probably glass a planet's surface with conventional bombardment, but that would take a while, and the Tau don't strike me as being that ruthless or overly destructive.

Lord Damocles
15-03-2013, 18:30
...and even their larger energy weapons have energy sources that, if breached, can destroy entire planetary populations (as the orks learned to their cost when trying to break open one of the guns).
Remember that the Doomsday Arks in question were given to the Orks (known for tinkering) as a bribe to get them to leave the Necrons in question alone.

Admiral Ackbar may have something to say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA) about that...