PDA

View Full Version : Escalation league. 500 pt starting/2000 pt finishing lists.

MrGraveRisen
13-03-2013, 02:12
As per the title, this will be for an escalation league. Starting at 500 points, going up 250 every second week until we finally hit 2000. Great way to get a new army done, I figure. So here we go! Daemons! The army I swore I would NEVER do under the old book that broke the entire game.

-------------------------------------------------

500 point starting list!

Herald of Khorne - 100

17x (6x3) Bloodletters - 258
- standard
- champion

1x beast of nurgle - 60

2x nurglings - 80

2000 point final list

Demon prince of Nurgle - 370
- 1x Greater gift (balesword default unless I get souleater)
- lvl 2 wizard

Herald of Nurgle - 170
- lvl 1 wizard
- Greater locus of fecundity

Herald of Khorne - 160
- Greater Locus of Fury

20x (7x3) Bloodletters - 310
- full command

24x (5x5) Plaguebearers - 342
- full command

1x beast of nurgle - 60

2x nurglings - 80

3x bloodcrushers - 205
- champ, standard

3x plague drones - 165

Skullcannon - 135

The final list had to have the original stuff in there, but adding upgrades and stuff was allowed.
Beast/nurglings basically run flak/intercept. And the plaguebeast is also there to abuse the attention seeker rule when needed.
Plagued drones in the 2k list hunt down war machines, fast cav, flank charges, anything like that. For only 50 or so points more than slaanesh seekers they can do a LOT more damage (especially to standard ranged troops on the back table edge ;) ) and are much more durable. Bloodcrushers do what bloodcrushers do, plaguebearers are my hard standing anvil, and the bloodletters do the choppy choppy. The demon pricne in the 2k list is a monster and character hunter. Even against a dragon... he's hitting on 3's and it's hitting him back on 5's or 6's, he wounds it on 4's with D3 wounds per (assuming I default to balesword).
And if anyone's wondering why I have no lvl 4, I NEVER EVER RELY ON MAGIC. It's way too random with far too many variables to build a strategy around any spells.
opinions?

HalfBlood
13-03-2013, 03:17
So for the 2K list:

DP:
I think its critical that your DP is atleast a level 4. Magic is probably the weakest part to Daemons so you should atleast max it out if you have the chance. Drop the level 1 on your herald of Nurgle so you can bump your DP up atleast 1 level. To be honest I hate the gift system. I have played 8+ games with the new Daemons. I mostly ran Epidemius lists with a GUO. Its just I found the Gifts costed way much more then what they brought to the Lord/Hero.

HoN and Plague Bearers:
Keep try to give this guy some protection. Since majority of your list is nurgle, consider making him your Bsb. Drop the level 1 (it really wont do much at 2K). I don't have the book on me, but what I have noticed is the best Loci for him is the 5+ poison one. I have found that the other two loci are just too expensive for what they do. HoN with (5+) posion and BsB is ~155. So you save 15 points and get a model that can strengthen LD. Plaguebearers are good.

HoK and Bloodletters:
I really hate what Ward did to these guys. Too costy, very fragil, not so "choppy choppy". Even siting at a unit of 20 I cant see these guys living past turn 2. Especially all the bloodletter hate with the old book. Just drop them completely.

Beasts:
Beasts are gold. Much better then Crushers IMO. Bump them up to atleast 3. I currently run units of 4, but I have ran units as big as 8.

Nurglings:
Havent tried them out.

Bloodcrushers:
Were terrible in the old book. I have yet to try them out just because Beasts just seem like the obvious choice. (even though i love the crusher models)

Drones:
Love them. But then again I could always substitute them for more beasts...

Skullcannon:
Why not 2? I find that Ward has forced all Daemon players to take atleast 2. For 2 obvious reasons. He gave GDs so unreliable protection from cannons. I find our best solution to kill cannons is with our extremely cheap cannons. It also benefits us that our cannons can take out almost any beast out there (besides the Destroyer)

MrGraveRisen
13-03-2013, 03:51
So basically your suggestion is to go all nurgle with a skullcannon...... I get the feeling I'll be seeing 400 billion of those lists around the tournament scene. No. :p

I think its critical that your DP is atleast a level 4. Magic is probably the weakest part to Daemons so you should atleast max it out if you have the chance

You sort of contradict yourself here. Why should I spend 140 points on the weakest part of their army? how does that make sense at all? While I do agree the gifts are so-so, the default option of the balesword is awwesooommmeeeee.... Str 6, poison attacks, WS9, d3 wounds... he turns into a monster killer. Anything T5 or 6 will drop like a sack of bricks, and even if it doesn't on the first round, with WS9 and MoN nothing's going to hit him back.

I really hate what Ward did to these guys. Too costy, very fragil, not so "choppy choppy". Even siting at a unit of 20 I cant see these guys living past turn 2

With 21 attacks plus the herald coming out of the unit at WS5, S4 killing blow.... neither will whatever they're attacking. Plus I need something in the army to take on ironbreakers, warriors of chaos, or anything else with a 3+ or better.

Yes I do need to make one of them a BSB. Nurgle probably. Just need the points to do it.

Beasts:
Yes, they are amazing, but I just don't really have the room for them in this list. in 2250+? Yes I will take more.

Nurglings: More for the 500 point list as redirection or for tying up fast cav/detachments. They are *********** incredible with epidemius, otherwise they're still pretty good. scout makes them really really annoying.

Bloodcrushers:
Yeah they're probably bad, but I wanted more khorne flavor in here and I LOVE juggernauts. They're not so bad that they're useless though. They still hit very hard.

Skullcannon:
Why not 2? I find that Ward has forced all Daemon players to take atleast 2. For 2 obvious reasons. He gave GDs so unreliable protection from cannons. I find our best solution to kill cannons is with our extremely cheap cannons. It also benefits us that our cannons can take out almost any beast out there (besides the Destroyer)

You only feel that way because people such as yourself and... well... the entire bell of lost souls community... Just look at something and decide that we all NEED 2 of them. And because the community as a whole sees it as a "power" unit, nobody bothers to even consider that you NEVER "need" a unit to win the game, unless you're just *********** awful. Are you saying I can't win without 2 of them? Then you're a terrible general (not YOU you, more hte collective you). Yes, they are GOOD. But it's just a flaming cannon. A dwarf cannon with the flaming rune is basically identical, and 25 points cheaper. There's nothing overly special about it.

to more directly answer your question of why not 2? Couldn't fit it in the points I had :P

-Totenkopf-
13-03-2013, 05:10
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3080051a_Regiment_Pack_%282%29.pdf

you should look at this for some of the lower point games.. its much better than 500 pts

MrGraveRisen
13-03-2013, 06:11
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3080051a_Regiment_Pack_%282%29.pdf

you should look at this for some of the lower point games.. its much better than 500 pts

we decided on doing standard 8th ed rules all the way through. We made sure everyone was able to do 500 point armies to start, and it all worked out just fine.