PDA

View Full Version : Nurgle Warriors- what equipment

ksnyde83
13-03-2013, 20:39
For my nurgle warriors what equipment should they take? I have them modeled as AHW, but at the shop we play at we play with whats on our lists as long as opponent knows.

snottlebocket
13-03-2013, 21:14
I'd go with halberds and shields.

Coldblood666
13-03-2013, 21:15
I like shields and hand weapons for added resilience.

Minsc
13-03-2013, 21:38
Either shields or halberds.

They become excellent tanks with shields, and I prefer MoN-warriors with halberds over MoK-warriors with halberds. Sure, no +1 attack, but you wont get baited either and you can't potentially loose your mark, and -1 to hit in close combat means that more of them will stay alive.

Trustey
13-03-2013, 21:42
Shields or Halberds. Both is kind of pricey and if you are looking to pay more for versatility run them as Chosen.

Ayin
13-03-2013, 22:11
Nurgle do better than any other mark with Great Weapons, so not an option to overlook.

ftayl5
13-03-2013, 22:11
Up to you. As above the split is basically shields or halberds.
XHW: No benefit for those beyond 2nd rank, costs double the shield
GW: For the same cost as a halberd doubles strength bonus but denies them their very good initiative.
Halberd: Good choice. Still strike at I5 and S5 is good.
Shield: Good choice also. 3+ save and 6++ parry combined with the -1 to hit and T4 makes a very tough unit to move.

I would take shields for Nurgle because they're already tiered slightly towards defence rather than offence due to -1 to hit rather than the frenzy of khorne. With shield you can really capitalise on this and make a unit that is very difficult to kill.

However you should note that with chaos warriors, and especially nurgle ones, no choice is really a bad choice, just not quite as optimised as another.

Reiko321
14-03-2013, 00:57
For my nurgle warriors what equipment should they take? I have them modeled as AHW, but at the shop we play at we play with whats on our lists as long as opponent knows.

Halbs for warriors.... Nurgle chosen get GWs hands down (since they have the option for WS7).

Shields for nurgle seems a little off to me. Not enough bang as str5 for me.

Moss
14-03-2013, 02:18
I haven't run the numbers, but I'm estimating that halberds are optimal. With MoN, you'll be getting hit less, and so the extra save from shields isn't used to its fullest.

Lord Solar Plexus
14-03-2013, 08:54
My vote goes to shields. A 3+ AS is really sweet, especially for such a small price and too many times a 4+ has let me down. I do however use them to grab something by the neck and let something else deliver the coup de grace. So hitting power comes from Knights, Crushers, Drogres etc. while the infantry holds the centre. In this role, I want them to be as reliable as possible.

Neknoh
15-03-2013, 08:57
Greatweapons in a heartbeat, simply because they get hit less. Halberds at i5 rely on hitting first and clearing out incoming attacks. Greatweapons rely on hitting back as hard as possible. This should make the matter clear why Khorne digg Halberds and Nurle loves Greatweapons.

As for shields, those are for Tzeentch, 3+|5++ ftw

Minsc
15-03-2013, 11:04
As for shields, those are for Tzeentch, 3+|5++ ftw

If I'd go for shield-warriors I would probably still go with MoN.
3+/5++ vs 3+/6++ -1 to hit? I'll take the to-hit modifier tyvm.

MLP
15-03-2013, 11:23
Great weapons every time. Most opponents will be hitting on 5+ then wounding on 4+ so even before saves only 1/6th of attacks are getting through. Then you get to hammer them back with loads of 4+ to hit 2+ to wound -3 save.

As long as you choose you opposing unit well you'll be okay. For example, don't go up against ws6+ or st5+ if you can help it.

popisdead
20-03-2013, 20:27
Halberds take advantage of high init and WS. Great Weapons aren't bad but you run the risk facing say, Wissan'd Gors, as generally you have a smaller unit.

I wouldn't take HW/SH as you want to maximize damage output.

datalink7
20-03-2013, 22:08
I keep going back and forth between Halberds and GW's. I think both are solid options. It also depends on what else you are running with the group. For instance, if you run Festus with them it probably swings towards Halberds as they will benefit more from Poison.

Morkash
20-03-2013, 22:20
They have, except maybe additional handweapons, no really suboptimal options. It depends on the rest of your army and what you like from a visual point of view.
- Handweapon & Shield: Very, very resilient and the Chaos Warrior models offer great conversion options and looks great armed this way.
- Halberds: Great offensive abilities with 2 WS5 S5 attacks at Ini 5 and at the same time they're usually being hit on 5's and have Chaos Armour. Even with price rise this option is quite valid. Works well with the old Chaoswarrior models since they sport halberds and look quite Nurgle-esque in their style.
- Halberds and Shields: The most expensive combination and one which I'm not particular fond of. 3+ Armour against shooting can be nice but is it really worth the 15-20 points you pay for that? An Advantage is that it's pretty easy to convert with the Chaos Knight Lances and Chaoswarrior models.
- Great Weapons: The heavy hitter of the bunch can kill pretty much anything. Monsters, Cavalry, other Warriors of Chaos armies...nobody likes to receive a bunch of S6 hits. Striking last is a disadvantage of course although they still have all the resilience of a T4 model with Chaos Armour and the Mark of Nurgle. Avatars of War also does the fantastic Corrupters of the Apocalypse models, which can be perfectly used to display Chaoswarriors with Great Weapons...even the unit size is great with 17 models per box!

I personally go for HW&Shield on one unit and Halberds on the other, with my Chosen wearing Great Weapons. This gives me more flexibility because I usually field only one or a maximum of two units of Chaos Warriors. And I only own old Chaos Warriors models. :)

But as I said in the beginning, there's essentially no bad choice, even additional handweapons can work but there's little reason to give them to Warriors of Nurgle when Khornate Warriors cause much more mayhem with them.

Rudra34
21-03-2013, 01:51
Great weapons or halberds are the way to go. A great weapon unit is simply sickening, but if you are really attached to the idea of striking first then go with halberds. Really though, that -1 to hit is going to keep enough of them alive to strike last and still be devastating.

Korpacz
21-03-2013, 04:58
Greatweapons are nice, the only problem is you rarely warrior blocks larger than 24, and with the new price increases I think you'll see most people running blocks of 18. With only 18 or 24 guys you will want your high initiative to make sure you get swings in before you start taking wounds and losing attacks.

Unfortunately I haven't played as many games as I would like with the new book, so for all I know the role of warriors has changed significantly. Maybe they're out monster hunters and our chariots will be used to hold up rank and file infantry with double/triple charges....

Blkc57
21-03-2013, 05:12
Standard equipment on my Nurgle blocks are pretty much Halberd and Shield. The shield with a two handed weapon like a halberd seems counter intuitive but with the changes to the Nurgle Mark removing the -1 to hit on range I find that little extra armor save really helps my blocks get to where they need to be without excessive losses. The halberd choice is rather self explanatory what with the strong hitting power and excellent initiative of Warriors, the Mark makes it so I don't really miss the shield in combat. It will make your blocks really expensive but my experience is the point cost is worth it.

EDIT: Oh and I do want to say if you use the Halberd from Gw it looks really badass with a shield. Which is another reason I run them.

Odin
21-03-2013, 12:17
I think the AHW with Nurgle warriors are only a good option when combined with Festus and/or blades of putrefaction to maximise poison potential.

popisdead
22-03-2013, 20:32
I . For instance, if you run Festus with them it probably swings towards Halberds as they will benefit more from Poison.

You benefit more from Poison when you gain more attacks, with Halberds and GWs you have the same number of attacks and both wound on 6s.

I don't think add'l HWs is as good as you only get usually 6 more attacks and wounding on 2s is significantly bigger than 3/4s or just having high Str when facing t5 etc