PDA

View Full Version : Volkite weapons

spiderman_stu
14-03-2013, 20:25
I don't have the heresy book FW and was wondering what the difference between the volkite charger and calvier are? Also are there any benefits compared to bolters? Are they like plasma guns?

Kijamon
14-03-2013, 20:27
They have their own fancy guns in the heresy book that are designed for heresy gaming, not for 40k. They are good anti light armoured troops guns.

Beyond that, you'll not get any answers - buy the book! They'd make good plasma guns though, they look pretty cool for that purpose.

spiderman_stu
14-03-2013, 20:29
70 for a fancy book, or 70 on some models?

Retrospectus
15-03-2013, 00:22
they're S 5 bolters

Kakapo42
15-03-2013, 01:04
they're S 5 bolters

So shorter ranged pulse rifles then?

PostinDirty
15-03-2013, 04:18
they also inflict additional hits on units, i think based on the condition that they kill a model or cause a wound. something like that

spiderman_stu
15-03-2013, 08:57
I found this post elsewhere:

It is indeed. Volkite weaponry display shorter ranges than standard weaponry (the Volkite Serpenta pistol has a range of 10" for example), have a strength of five and an AP of five and come with a special rule called 'Deflagrate' which inflicts a further wound on a squad for every unsaved wound caused. They're rare weapons, even during the Crusade/Heresy era due to their high need of maintenance and it's this factor that decides that the standard astartes weapon is Bolt weaponry rather than Volkite. So, Volkite weapons had a shot at being the standard space marine arsenal, is what I read from that. Calivers are Heavy 2; Chargers are Assault 2.

Commissar Davis
15-03-2013, 13:40
Now you got me thinking of getting the book and going some DA fallen.

Fizzy
15-03-2013, 14:16
Calivers 30"

Chargers 15"

Special rule: Deflagrate.

They are not like bolters.

Also as mentioned. They dont work for 40K. The guns and "blueprints" for them disappeared after the heresy kinda.

Aluinn
15-03-2013, 21:02
They make really neat-looking plasma guns for regular 40K though (model-wise :)), given that the top coil is similar and that's what most people would recognize them as.

Still Standing
16-03-2013, 04:48
Do they cause a further wound or further hit for each unsaved wound? If it were the former you'd only need to hit a 10 man Guard squad with 5 wounds to kill the entire 10 man squad automatically.

Wishing
16-03-2013, 21:35
70 for a fancy book, or 70 on some models?

I generally agree with this, but there are exceptions. I'm really really glad I got my Realm of Chaos books instead of the equivalent cost in models.

Dover
07-11-2015, 03:23
They remind me of the Necromonger shooters in Chronicles of Riddick

The Black Shield
07-11-2015, 03:31
Charger are also an assault weapon.

MajorWesJanson
07-11-2015, 04:47
Also as mentioned. They dont work for 40K. The guns and "blueprints" for them disappeared after the heresy kinda.

No, the Mechanicus just kept them for themselves. The Tech Priest Dominus from Cult Mech carries a Volkite blaster (variant of the Caliver with better fire rate but less range) as standard issue.

The Black Shield
07-11-2015, 07:58
There are still a few, not many, out there in the armories of the Space Marines, but they are treasured and venerated relics.

Ironbone
07-11-2015, 08:10
Do they cause a further wound or further hit for each unsaved wound? If it were the former you'd only need to hit a 10 man Guard squad with 5 wounds to kill the entire 10 man squad automatically.
Well, almost. If you indicted 5 unsaved wounds (ie, kill 5 guardsmen ) then you also indict 5 more hits with same Str and Ap, wich have to roll to wound as well, and are saved (if can) separetly. Great against poorly armoured troops, not so great against marines :p .

Killgore
07-11-2015, 14:02
Well, almost. If you indicted 5 unsaved wounds (ie, kill 5 guardsmen ) then you also indict 5 more hits with same Str and Ap, wich have to roll to wound as well, and are saved (if can) separetly. Great against poorly armoured troops, not so great against marines :p .

Also they look cool in the artwork :D

There is a cult/ fanclub dedicated to them on B&C

Choom

Still Standing
07-11-2015, 18:42
2 year old thread guys. This is pretty common knowledge now.

Roofpizza
26-01-2016, 03:50
2 year old thread guys. This is pretty common knowledge now.

While it may be true that this is common knowledge for veteran fans, it isn't knowledge I had. In fact, I was just looking for info on Volkite weaponry on
Google and the recent comments were mucho helpful. So the site gained a new member, and I gained some knowledge and references. Definitely seems like a win win for rebooting an old thread:D

aim
26-01-2016, 11:53
While it may be true that this is common knowledge for veteran fans, it isn't knowledge I had. In fact, I was just looking for info on Volkite weaponry on
Google and the recent comments were mucho helpful. So the site gained a new member, and I gained some knowledge and references. Definitely seems like a win win for rebooting an old thread:D

Not only this, but had a new thread been posted about it, it would have attracted the attention of the "God, use the search function instead of making new threads!" people.

I honestly believe that World War 3 will be fought between militant "Anti-New-Threaders" and militant "Anti-Threadomancy" clans.

Flame Boy
26-01-2016, 15:19
Not only this, but had a new thread been posted about it, it would have attracted the attention of the "God, use the search function instead of making new threads!" people.

I honestly believe that World War 3 will be fought between militant "Anti-New-Threaders" and militant "Anti-Threadomancy" clans.

Very true. Sometimes you can't please people no matter what.

This thread did turn out to be helpful for me as well. I'm familiar with the Volkite weapon on the Dominus model, but it's nice to know how it differs from the Heresy era weapons. I didn't know if it was a new weapon to fit the Codex. This thread seems to suggest the weapon profile is unique to the Cult Mechanicus book. Thanks! :)