PDA

View Full Version : Game of thrones and WoC? What could be better?

immortal git
15-03-2013, 03:53
So. Stark themed warriors. No magic, Cant find a reasonable way to fit that in with theme.

I can fit a lord (Ed stark) BsB (Rob Stark) and and another hero level character (Snow Im thinking. Maybe use wulfrik) Along with this I can fit two hordes of 40 marauders because hell, they fit the theme well, a unit of 18 warriors with halberds and sheilds, some dogs (Dire wolves) and now I have 350 points to fling around to make my 2.4k.

My question is what can I fit into the list now without breaking theme (Im not being to strict to the storyline so I was thinking of maybe a warshrine to be the iron throne...)

Don Zeko
15-03-2013, 04:50
I hate to be a downer and all, but it seems to me that only one army in the game can properly do a GoT theme: Brettonians....ok, maaaaaybe corsair-heavy DE if you're running Greyjoy, or perhaps HE(?) to represent Unsullied or some other army from Essos. But Starks? Starks are Brettonians painted grey, my friend.

Thorin
15-03-2013, 05:00
Starks are not really the mighty-knight army my dear Don Zeko :D
It is an interesting idea, but I actually donīt know how you want to Show who is who. You have fgot Fitting miniatures for them? Thatīs good. But otherwise, this might by misfitting as I also think Game of Thrones cannot be integrated into Warhammer THAT well...
Greetz
Thorin

Lord Solar Plexus
15-03-2013, 06:38
I'm sorry but I don't see what those two worlds have in common...There's Dragons and Knights but that's as much similarity as between two fictitious worlds that both sport cars and pools.

By the way, what's your question in regard to tactics? Would it not play just the same regardless of how a doll is called?

Neknoh
15-03-2013, 08:49
Way to shoot him down guys. I myself think it is a great theme and would advice the following:

Chaos Knights as Knights, it is still a feudal society and wether you go by books or show, Rob has a retinue of mounted nobles.

Night's Watch could either be Chosen or Marauder Horsemen depending on if you want the old and powerful or the new and dwindling version of the order. Remember, warriors don't have to be clad top to toe in armour as long as there's a difference between them and Marauders.

Just use regular hunting hounds for your Warhounds, there are other plans for the dire wolves.

A warshrine could be the weeping willow, guarded by two from the Night's Watch and a meister.

Forsaken could be represented by the aftermath of the Red Wedding. More specifically the very end of the third book could be used for inspiration.

And now for the Dire Wolves. A fully grown Dire Wolf is about the size of a horse, but broader and much, much more feral. Three massive wolves on Monster-cav-bases and you're ready to field them as Skullcrushers. Just remember that they should be the size of Juggernauts or maybe even bigger.

Lots of work converting all of this, but it could end up looking damn fine, and now you've got some units to pick from other than those you listed.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
15-03-2013, 09:33
Mmm, just imagining this with Lannisters based on Bretonnians, would be an awesome match up. As to the Chaos pick, probably a good one, the Chaos force is still the go to army to represent Norse and thats the closest equivilent of the Northmen in Warhammer. I'd disagree with them being Brets, they are not disciplined enough, thats the Lannisters job. :)

Thorin
15-03-2013, 09:53
Well, I really have to admit that I like your idea more and more. If you are searching for a miniature source, I got one for you:
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/george-r-r-martin-masterworks.html
There are some nice ones, but I actually donīt know the scale... For the direwolf juggers you could take Space Wolves thunderwolves as their scale should fit very well, but you would have to remodel the technical parts.
Actually, I would suggest maybe adding some Wildlings if you want as "normal" Marauders. Maybe the Space Wolf bitz from the thunderwolf kit and other SW kits could help you giving your miniatures an even more Stark-like look.
Good luck for it!
Greetz
Thorin

Ero-Senin
15-03-2013, 09:57
I hate to be a downer and all, but it seems to me that only one army in the game can properly do a GoT theme: Brettonians....ok, maaaaaybe corsair-heavy DE if you're running Greyjoy, or perhaps HE(?) to represent Unsullied or some other army from Essos. But Starks? Starks are Brettonians painted grey, my friend.

The Starks fit chaos perfectly. The northmen dont worshiop the seven so very few of them are knighted brets are more the southern houses like the Tyrells or the storm lords.

I think you could make each unit based on one of the northern houses. e.g. nurgle warriors = Bolton, great weapons and khorne = Umbers, Tzeentch and shields = Karstark. You could even make the unit champions the head of each house.

dwarf_zepplin
15-03-2013, 11:27
Mmm, just imagining this with Lannisters based on Bretonnians, would be an awesome match up. As to the Chaos pick, probably a good one, the Chaos force is still the go to army to represent Norse and thats the closest equivilent of the Northmen in Warhammer. I'd disagree with them being Brets, they are not disciplined enough, thats the Lannisters job. :)

Bretonnians in Lannister colours? That might have just solved my problem about how to repaint my Brets... :cool:

Asuryan's Spear
15-03-2013, 12:00
Item: the Night's Watch can't be in a stark force as they take no part in the realm's affairs unless your army is fighting wildlings
well said. i think even mentioned in the book. forgive me but i cannot tell you who... he says something along the lines of 'while we may not have as many knights we've got many who are as good as knights, the old gods rule up north and knights have to be name in the light of the seven'
this means the starks can be seen to have as much cavalry as anyone bar perhaps the westerlands and the reach.
I currently play my Empire as Lannisters. lots of heavy cavalry, heavily armoured infantry and well trained and disciplined. Fire Mages for the Pyromancers of Kings landing. i just find the empire models fit the whole southern sophistication and professional look. use swordsmen to indicate superior training The Mercenary General= Tywin and the Champion of Nuln is ser Gregor (both from Tamurkhan)
I think you can make great armies for GoT from the Empire book you just need to use some restrictions and imagination
Tyrells- Lots of Knightly Orders, armoured models Franz maybe to represent Randyll Tarly(best commander in westeros)
Starks- lots of greatswords,some free company, captains for hold the line, spearmen(represent Bolton pikemen), Ransay Snow(Bolton)=Lietdorf
Lannisters- Knightly orders, Helborg=ser Jamie,see above for the rest of characters and theme
Tullys- pretty much vanilla, maybe inner circle and rieksguard knights
Baratheons- greatswords, halberdiers, Knightly orders, Ludwig Schwarzhelm- Stannis, small but elite force
Dorne- spearmen, pistoliers(remodelled with bows maybe), wizards, archers, huntsmen for skirmish
Greyjoys- loads of free company, swordsmen, few actual mounted units (probably better to use DE for these lads)
Of course if you wanna stick to theme then absolutely no blackpowder...it is a hinderance but no more than if you played them in character with the Brets book

m1acca1551
15-03-2013, 12:19
I have down this myself, will try post pic if i get time, i used the empire army book and a mixture of Brettonian, Empire and perry miniatures to complete a Stark army, i have never actually fielded them, was just something for fun due to my love of Game of Thrones!!

Use what ever you like to proxy game of thrones, at the end of the day if you can explain it too yourself then thats all that matters, who gives a damn what other think :)

Neknoh
15-03-2013, 13:16
He himself said he does not care an awful lot for 100% fluff accuracy, and what looks cool goes. As such, the Night's Watch would make an excellent addition to the forces due to being strongly connected to the House of Stark, especially in older eras.

Xerkics
15-03-2013, 14:28
I dont think woc fit starks at all. Like was mentioned prev Brets are your best bet. Most of starks men would be peasant archers and men at arms. GoT doesnt really cross very well with WHFB with exception of corsairs and brets.

Neknoh
15-03-2013, 15:11
And thus you suggest the knighty, knighty Bretton? There are a lot of nobles with personal retinues, just as strong as those of House Lannister and Tyrell, just not as numerous.

Welfstar
15-03-2013, 15:23
I can fit a lord (Ed stark) BsB (Rob Stark) and and another hero level character (Snow Im thinking. Maybe use wulfrik) Along with this I can fit two hordes of 40 marauders because hell, they fit the theme well, a unit of 18 warriors with halberds and sheilds, some dogs (Dire wolves) and now I have 350 points to fling around to make my 2.4k.

My question is what can I fit into the list now without breaking theme (Im not being to strict to the storyline so I was thinking of maybe a warshrine to be the iron throne...)

In my opinion, you can't. You can't fit much into the list without breaking theme.

Robb and Jon aren't the equals of hero-level WoC characters. One's a ballsy, teenage commander and the other's a hot-headed scrapper, a warrior of opportunity. Selmy, the Cleganes, Jaime, these are examples of high-end Song of Ice & Fire fighting men. The Stark boys just don't stack up, in my opinion. And units of dire wolves? Too weird.

You're taking too many liberties with the source material. Play Warhammer or one of the many Song of Ice & Fire computer/table top games.

BigbyWolf
15-03-2013, 15:36
Way to shoot him down guys.

To be fair, the thread title is asking people for suggestions on what could be a better fit. :)

Neknoh
15-03-2013, 15:53
And the thread asks what would fit into the army rather than what army would fit the theme.

Xerkics
15-03-2013, 16:51
You can use chaos warhounds thats about it chaos knights are all like the mountain, brets on the other hand will actually let you have realistic core with peasants

Von Wibble
15-03-2013, 20:45
Imo a better BSB would be the Greatjon Umber.

Dark elves could provide a better fit, with Mengil Manhide's Manflayers fitting House Bolton very nicely for example. Though they'd do House Greyjoy very nicely too.

Kalandros
15-03-2013, 21:02
Crushers with Space wolf mounts, them Dire Wolf Cavalry!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/601489_505589799503772_1659962960_n.jpg

immortal git
16-03-2013, 17:04
That is a quality idea with the dire wolf cav.

No matter how better dark elves or bretts fit the theme i'm not using them, I've done dark elves and the play style of bretts is awful in my opinion.

I like all the ideas and greatly appreciate all the feedback you are giving.

I think all I really want is a big thing to be a nice centerpiece for the army, but im stuck on what to take...

P.S. don't hate me for this but iv'e only watched GoT on TV but I do plan on reading the books

Neknoh
16-03-2013, 20:25
A big centerpiece is... difficult, given that there just aren't that many big things in Game of Thrones.

I would probably pick the Blood Oak Warshrine for that, make it huge and make it cool. Do the same with the Direwolves and you'll have four centerpieces

Havock
18-03-2013, 03:47
Empire is a better match I think.

Crossbows, spears, halberds, foot knights (greatswords).

Use brets or alternative miniatures for a more medieval, as opposed to renaissance look.

Breaking the GoT theme a bit: Use primitive cannons, Perry miniatures has one I believe, magic could be a wise old scholar or a certain fiery lady? :p

Verm1s
18-03-2013, 05:58
Little warnings went off in my head when I saw the topic title, and reading the topic didn't make them ease up much.

You can theme your WoC army around Starks - nobody's holding a gun to your head to force you otherwise - but to do that and I guess keep a 'viable' army, the theme's going to have to be adulterated quite a bit.

From a gaming perspective, ASoIaF is practically historical, shuttling between the Hundred Years War and GRRM's interest in the War of the Roses. Aside from one green firebomb, and a few skirmishes with skinchangers and ice zombies up north, the majority of battles in the War of Five Kings are pretty conventional, with conventional forces. (yes, even the Starks) Boring even, if your definition of interesting demands direwolf cavalry. Blocks of pikes, billhooks, archers, household knights. I've been reading up on ASoIaF gaming for a while myself, taking a look at what other people are doing, and so far the ones I've seen use historical sets: SAGA, Dux Britanniarum, DBx etc.

Warhammer, in comparison, is more like The Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny.

I say use brettonian rules for armies south of the Wall, or almost black-powderless empire. If you want to have dire wolves in a Stark army, give Robb some suitably ferocious mount or killy magic item, but just stick him on a normal horse, and stick Grey Wind on the base beside him to represent the special rules.
A WoC marauder army might actually work for wildlings, which would justify packs of wild beasts (skinchangers), ogres (GoT giants) and some other things fighting in human armies.

agurus1
18-03-2013, 10:21
Little warnings went off in my head when I saw the topic title, and reading the topic didn't make them ease up much.

You can theme your WoC army around Starks - nobody's holding a gun to your head to force you otherwise - but to do that and I guess keep a 'viable' army, the theme's going to have to be adulterated quite a bit.

From a gaming perspective, ASoIaF is practically historical, shuttling between the Hundred Years War and GRRM's interest in the War of the Roses. Aside from one green firebomb, and a few skirmishes with skinchangers and ice zombies up north, the majority of battles in the War of Five Kings are pretty conventional, with conventional forces. (yes, even the Starks) Boring even, if your definition of interesting demands direwolf cavalry. Blocks of pikes, billhooks, archers, household knights. I've been reading up on ASoIaF gaming for a while myself, taking a look at what other people are doing, and so far the ones I've seen use historical sets: SAGA, Dux Britanniarum, DBx etc.

Warhammer, in comparison, is more like The Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny.

I say use brettonian rules for armies south of the Wall, or almost black-powderless empire. If you want to have dire wolves in a Stark army, give Robb some suitably ferocious mount or killy magic item, but just stick him on a normal horse, and stick Grey Wind on the base beside him to represent the special rules.
A WoC marauder army might actually work for wildlings, which would justify packs of wild beasts (skinchangers), ogres (GoT giants) and some other things fighting in human armies.

pretty much all of this... over and over again.

shakedown47
19-03-2013, 02:52
I think you'll have trouble fielding a force based on the Starks, or any other family from the book/HBO seriers. First off, if you want to field WoC and not Empire or Brets then you're really kind of limited to exalteds; I think a chaos lord would be ridiculously off-kilter with the reality of the setting. No magic, as you mentioned, and the only appropriate demonic gifts I can think of off-hand without grabbing my book are Scaled Skin (just represents more/better armor) and Hideous Visage (renown as a warrior?) I'd think that, at very most, there would be one magic item in the whole army or personally I'd call shenanigans on the theme. No marks goes without saying, other than maybe if you want to represent a force of the most elite and longest-serving warriors the house could muster via the mark of Slaanesh.

Honestly it seems like an uphill battle to me, but I'd salute you for pulling it off and fielding it game after game. I often use a no-magic list and I rarely feel significantly gimped because of it, but I make it up through fielding a warrior deathstar and a couple of large, hard-to-kill gribblies, things which your theme restriction wouldn't allow. Using the massively undercosted marauders of yestermonth might have made it an intriguing idea, but using an army whose bulk is made of appropriately-ish costed marauders is daunting. The chaos knights you would field are absolutely no joke in combat, but a unit big enough to be effective is also a unit big enough to be a massive liability. I like a challenge, but one this big just isn't my cup of tea. Keep us updated on how it turns out!

SkawtheFalconer
19-03-2013, 10:44
Surely you need to start with Boromir from the LotR range...? ;)