PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Clone Space Marine Recruits & What About Genetic Cross Pollination?

Dark_Kindred
15-03-2013, 23:54
So, why not clone different Space Marine "templates" to increase the size of the recruitment pool? As I see it, 40k places a heavy emphasis on environmental factors as witnessed by extremely hostile "death worlds" like Fenris. This populations are supposedly "hardier" because of their extreme habitats but genetics also plays a role. Why not sample the DNA of model recruits prior to enhancement, clone them, and then release these individuals into wild. I am not scientist but it would seem to me that increasing the number of genetically awesome people would create a "better" recruitment pool.

Diversity is also important. Couldn't Space Marine chapters has a sort of swap meet for genetic material to get more awesome traits/combinations of awesome traits passed around?

Again, not a scientist or even scientifically inclined but this does not seem like it is something the Imperium is incapable of doing.

eutambem
16-03-2013, 00:19
ethics. the imperium is based in humanity, not the spawned meat from biologis laboratories. it's hard to explain, but even the astartes know that theyr role is to fight for humanity, not control it. it would take the marines away from humanity at all. each individual is unique and must stay that way to differenciate humans from machines.
alpha legion are cloners for certain! but they are bad, bad marines :)

Felwether
16-03-2013, 00:24
Also aren't clones prone to extremely bad luck in the 40K universe?

Or was that just the Aphriel Strain?

Dark_Kindred
16-03-2013, 02:26
There appears to be a background contradiction. On the one hand, it appears that the Aphriel Strain (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Afriel_Strain#.UUPVVxy7KAh) was/is more of a genetic engineering program. Then there is the Replicae (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Replicae#.UUPVWRy7KAg) process, which is basically cloning and can be used to make a fully grown Astartes. Apparently, the science is "little known" even though cloning clearly happens and probably would not require much in the way of technology (at least as far as the Imperium is concerned).

On the ethics of cloning, I do not see why Space Marines should be bothered. They treat humans like chattel, arbitrarily abducting and inducting human warriors without their informed consent. They purposefully keep whole planets in a state of backwardness from intellectual, economic, and health perspectives. It sounds clear to me that they control and shape the lives of millions of people.

Lord-Caerolion
16-03-2013, 04:40
Actually, cloning isn't really used or understood at all in 40k, Dark_Kindred. You've shown two examples, both of which are examples of people messing with things they really don't understand, and the second of which is from a horrific series of books that took some 'liberties' with the background. The closest it comes is the 'vitae-wombs' that are used by Krieg, which are near-heretical in themselves, but don't seem to be actual cloning machines, but rather something to speed up the gestation period.

Lord Squidar
16-03-2013, 05:18
maybe its not only about genetics, its about the environment that the recruits grew up in, in built instincts from having fought for survival from day 1. Sometimes the recruits are not even physically imposing, like blood angels recruits that make it across the radio active waste land are starved and diseased (but become beautiful).

that being said, I think thaddeus from Dawn of War 2 came from some highly educated noble planet, so anything is possible, probably about the recruit himself in a bubble than the broader population's genetic make up (baring Fenris)

Dark_Kindred
16-03-2013, 05:42
Actually, cloning isn't really used or understood at all in 40k, Dark_Kindred. You've shown two examples, both of which are examples of people messing with things they really don't understand, and the second of which is from a horrific series of books that took some 'liberties' with the background. The closest it comes is the 'vitae-wombs' that are used by Krieg, which are near-heretical in themselves, but don't seem to be actual cloning machines, but rather something to speed up the gestation period.

Wait, you're telling me that I don't know that cloning isn't really understood when I read, cited, and linked both of those sources? I lol'ed

Well, lets look at it like this. Having a "super-soldier program" that involves extreme genetic manipulation to recreate awesome-sauce warriors sounds harder than cloning. Whereas cloning is the direct replication of everything in the body, genetic manipulation would require a somewhat well developed understand of genetic sequencing to even begin to do. On the face of it, that sounds like it would be harder to do. Then you have a case of people trying to clone Astartes, which seems like a much taller order because "the gene-seed is actually those germ cells and viral machines that have been genetically-engineered to develop into the various organs that are implanted into a normal human adolescent male to transform in into a Space Marine." You basically have to figure out how absurdly complex germs and nano-machines work and then somehow breed them within a body when they were clearly designed to be implanted. Of course they were having trouble.

I would also argue that the heretical status of certain technologies is largely irrelevant. Many Space Marines could easily be labeled heretics by simply citing the fact that most know and actively acknowledge that the Emperor is not a god. As regards the Vitae-Womb, I do not own any Imperial Armor books. However:

"The Vitae-Womb is a method of genetic reproduction utilized by the scientists of Krieg (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Krieg) to keep the planet's population up on their dying world in order to meet their Tithes (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tithe) for the Imperial Guard (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard). A mysterious and little-understood technique outside of Krieg itself, this technology of mass-producing human organisms is seen as abhorrent to the Adeptus Mechanicus (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus). Nonetheless the practice is tolerated as the Death Korps of Krieg (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Korps_of_Krieg) are so vital to the Imperial (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial) war effort."

If regular schmucks can get away with something that sounds suspiciously similar to cloning because it is expedient, why couldn't the Emperor's Chosen? Or, supposing that cloning could not happen how about this: Space Marine Chapters have massive recruitment drive for the most hardcore people and put them through a much more difficult training process. They ought to be able to figure out who the topnotch women are. Harvest eggs and sperm and BAM! You have yourself an even more hardcore base population to recruit from that can be massed produce and has lower incubation period. They could even put together a tough-as-nails auxiliary force that way, which would be important because there is no way there are enough Space Marines to pilot things.

Hellebore
16-03-2013, 06:03
The Imperium has limitless manpower, there isn't any need to clone more.

This is one of the more irritating things about space marine chapters rarely suffering huge casualties or being destroyed. There will always be more people to recruit, it doesn't matter how small the % of people eligible, the Imperium's incomprehensibly large human population means that there are billions of possible space marines being born all the time.

The only reason there aren't more marines is entirely down to artificial control of their numbers. the high lords refuse to keep sanctioning more marine chapters. There's no reason they couldn't just keep making more, putting them everywhere. Every Imperial sector/sub-sector could have its own marine chapter. 1000 warriors, even expensive to make and equip ones, are going to be a complete blip on a their tithe. Richer sectors could have more than one.

We've never been given an actual percentage compatability level for marine recruits. It's just waved away as a tiny fraction. 1% of the population is still quite a lot of people when you are dealing with large populations. 1% of the earth's population is ~70 million people.

This is further confused by the fact that most death worlds have TINY populations, yet are supposed to still only produce tiny numbers of recruits. So the number can't be 1 in every million (0.000001%) because they wouldn't have a big enough population to support their recruitment, let alone be sustainable.

But even if it were 1 in a million, the earth currently has ~3.5 billion males, so the earth alone could produce 3500 recruits, enough for several marine chapters (as you aren't trying to recruit an entire chapter in one go). Obviously that includes people too old to become marines, but it means that every generation will produce a large quantity of recruits.

The point being that marines don't need to be cloned to produced and the lack of marines isn't due to them not being cloned. It's a deliberate post-heresy choice. It also means that the Imperium is running at far below marine recruitment capacity, so all the marine chapters that DO exist are pretty much never going to go extinct from lack of recruits, because their recruitment base will always produce recruits.

Which ironically makes space marines the most common and easily replaceable eite trooper in the galaxy...

Hellebore

Voss
16-03-2013, 06:09
If it were just the human population, you'd be correct, but the limiting factor on space marines is geneseed, and that is often expressed as finite.

Hellebore
16-03-2013, 06:15
If it were just the human population, you'd be correct, but the limiting factor on space marines is geneseed, and that is often expressed as finite.

But that's what we are talking about. the numbers for geneseed growth are known - the IA article on creation of a space marine says that using clones to grow geneseed allows you to produce an entire chapter's worth of organs etc in 55 years from one original seed.

Recruitment isn't an issue. Marine reproduction is the inverse of normal sexual reproduction - a single recruit produces enough seed for 2 individuals thanks to double progenoids. The geneseed is the weak point in marine recruitment, but not because it's finite. It can be grown for as long as you want it to.

Hellebore

Polaria
16-03-2013, 07:04
Cloning was forbidden as heretek practice by Emperor himself and trying it gets you a death sentence. Still, some institutions in the Imperium do seem to practice cloning, but in very limited fashion and probably strongly monitored by Inquisition.

I think the main reason is the Heresy trauma... You know, the powers that be don't WANT to have access to unlimited number of marines because that could lead to marines trying to take over the Imperium once again. The same reason why there are chapters of 1 000 marines, not Legions of 100 000 and why marines are not given auxiliary troops or proper battleships anymore.

Lothlanathorian
16-03-2013, 07:14
I think Marine recruitment, however, isn't just based on genetic compatibility, but, as someone else already mentioned in here, environment that recruit was raised in. A Spire-born Noble youth or a vat-grown clone-baby aren't going to have the conditioned-in situational awareness that the youths born and raised on death worlds will.

Granted, if they are vat-grown or taken at a much younger age (see the Halo Universe Spartan-II program), then, this could be handled with proper (:shifty:) conditioning.

Generalissimus
16-03-2013, 07:31
Probably also worthwhile remembering that the complexity level of technology in the 40k universe is not always directly related to its use by the Imperium. The widespread loss and sporadic rediscovery of technology from the Imperium's past, coupled with the highly religious, ultra-protectionist veneration of technology that does continue to be used, means that you have a situation where the Imperium has highly advanced methods of doing one thing and remarkably primitive ways of doing another. I mean, humanity has kilometres-long, dimensional-shifting starships, and yet not all Imperium Guard soldiers have something as basic as a personal radio to communicate with the rest of their squad. It's a remarkable dichotomy of old and new, and one of the things I very much enjoy about the 40k setting.

TheDungen
16-03-2013, 09:20
why waste effort creating people iof you just wait people create more of themselves without the imperium having to waste an ounce of resources on it. People is the one thing the imperium has no shortage of.

Bad monkey
16-03-2013, 09:43
maybe its not only about genetics, its about the environment that the recruits grew up in, in built instincts from having fought for survival from day 1. Sometimes the recruits are not even physically imposing, like blood angels recruits that make it across the radio active waste land are starved and diseased (but become beautiful)

This, cos lets be honest there's only so much life experience one can get in a gestation pool or where ever you grow you clones.

Though I have always liked the idea of a rogue adept selling the secrets of the aphriel strain to some despot.

Idaan
16-03-2013, 11:13
[FONT=arial]
As regards the Vitae-Womb, I do not own any Imperial Armor books. However:

"The Vitae-Womb is a method of genetic reproduction utilized by the scientists of Krieg (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Krieg) to keep the planet's population up on their dying world in order to meet their Tithes (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tithe) for the Imperial Guard (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Guard). A mysterious and little-understood technique outside of Krieg itself, this technology of mass-producing human organisms is seen as abhorrent to the Adeptus Mechanicus (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Adeptus_Mechanicus). Nonetheless the practice is tolerated as the Death Korps of Krieg (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Korps_of_Krieg) are so vital to the Imperial (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial) war effort."

Yeah, that's not true at all. Imperial Armour only mentions that Krieg uses proscribed Vitae Womb birthing techniques that AdMech dislike. No more details than that.

Camman1984
16-03-2013, 11:25
Cloning reduces genetic diversity to zero and would give the entire chapter the same strengths and more importantly the same weaknesses. It only takes an difference of a few base pairs to cause some unpredictable results. For example, the marines run into a previously unknown space parasite that causes one in every billion humans to fit and die. Well as luck would have it, your clone is the one in a billion and now your whole chapter is dead.

There is also benefit in having different people. Although the link between genetics and personality is poorly understood, if they have the same dna and are brought up in the same way, chances are they would have the same outlook and thought processes. This could lead to very narrow thinking and predictable battle plans.

I prefer the current mixing pot for survival of the fittest, has worked for millions of years. The percentage of recruits suitable on each world probably varies too, on a hive world like terra where most of the population are in poverty and babies are born malnourished etc, maybe itll be a tiny fraction, but its got a high population. But on a death world with lots of ways for the weak to die, the remaining stock may be more recruitable.

ryng_sting
16-03-2013, 17:39
The question comes up in Deliverance Lost. Corax rejects it, stating the Emperor did not want a specially cloned-to-order race; he wanted his warriors to retain their ties to humanity and their individuality.

That, and the Imperium's revulsion for cloning in general.

strongbow
16-03-2013, 17:54
The occasional glimpses into space marine attrition rates we get are strange.

Example - Space Wolf Iron Priests.

We're told that for every successful smith that passes the tests, 100 fail, and are turned into Thrall Servitors.

So, they have to be good enough to be space marines, have extremely strong smithing skills (exceptional even for their planet etc) and then survive all the augmentations. And that is just to be one of the 100 failures.

Admittedly there won't be many Iron Priests anyway.

It just seems a huge waste of obvious talent. Those 100 would be useful elsewhere I'm sure. (i.e. not turned into servitors? Surely they would make good soldiers of one kind, whether it's PDF or whatever.

Polaria
16-03-2013, 18:06
Thats only because you think of it in terms of contemporary ethics where every individual is valuable and has human rights.

Imperium holds absolutely no regard to human life and does not value anything but success. For them none of those 100 are not "wasted talent", but "failed and found wanting". Their so-called talent means nothing because they failed. Had they been used for some other duty after the failure there would always be a risk of failing again or being seduced to chaos by their doubts. No matter how difficult the test, you only fail once in Imperium.

eutambem
16-03-2013, 20:09
The question comes up in Deliverance Lost. Corax rejects it, stating the Emperor did not want a specially cloned-to-order race; he wanted his warriors to retain their ties to humanity and their individuality.

That, and the Imperium's revulsion for cloning in general.

right on!!

flying land raider
17-03-2013, 00:04
I recommend the book "red fury" by James swallows. The book tells you about the blood angels and how their chapters numbers were depleted after the blood angels civil war. The blood angels civil war started when a young battle brother named arkio was unknowingly cursed by the powers of chaos, arkio started to look much like the blood angels primarch and he thought he was the reencarnation sanguinius. Many blood angels beleived he was and worshiped him. When commander Dante heard of arkio he sent chief librarian mephiston I determine if arkio was really sanguinius. When it was uncovered that he wasn't sanguinius, mephiston sent arkios sibling, rafen to kill him. After rafen killed him with the spear of telesto an ancient master crafted weapon.
When rafen finally returned to Baal, commander Dante sent him to eriten. He was sent with a message for chapter master Gabriel Seth. The message ordered all succession chapters of the blood angels to come to Baal for a tithe. Another blood angel had different plans, he wanted to create space marines using replicae (cloning) to replenish their numbers. It did not turn out as planed though as the clones suffered the same gene flaw as the blood angels. The clones mutated and became bloodfiends creatures hellbent on drinking the blood of the primarch which was safely guarded by brother corbulo.

I hope this answers your question if not ill find some more answers

Orthodox
17-03-2013, 16:00
Also aren't clones prone to extremely bad luck in the 40K universe?

Or was that just the Aphriel Strain?

like blood angels recruits that make it across the radio active waste land are starved and diseased (but become beautiful).

Corax rejects it, stating the Emperor did not want a specially cloned-to-order race;

These are the instructive thoughts. Posts about population sizes do not have any use at all. They couldn't.

Rational numbers of space marines would mean nothing to my life and probably not to anyone's. They couldn't.

It is way more edifying to say that the reason The Emperor didn't build the legions entirely out of clones in the first place is clones have some kind of spiritual deficiency that prevents them from winning wars and building the glories of resurgent humanity. That makes me feel like I have learned some kind of literary insight.

baphomael
17-03-2013, 17:02
The occasional glimpses into space marine attrition rates we get are strange.

Example - Space Wolf Iron Priests.

We're told that for every successful smith that passes the tests, 100 fail, and are turned into Thrall Servitors.

So, they have to be good enough to be space marines, have extremely strong smithing skills (exceptional even for their planet etc) and then survive all the augmentations. And that is just to be one of the 100 failures.

Admittedly there won't be many Iron Priests anyway.

It just seems a huge waste of obvious talent. Those 100 would be useful elsewhere I'm sure. (i.e. not turned into servitors? Surely they would make good soldiers of one kind, whether it's PDF or whatever.

By reaching the point of being judged unworthy of becoming an iron priest they've probably already become privy to various esoteric secrets. Space marines are often pretty insular, the space wolves particularly so, and an order such as the iron priests even more so. They probably don't want people running about with anything more than a passing familiarity of what they get up to in their super special iron priest club.

Hellebore
17-03-2013, 22:11
These are the instructive thoughts. Posts about population sizes do not have any use at all. They couldn't.

Rational numbers of space marines would mean nothing to my life and probably not to anyone's. They couldn't.

It is way more edifying to say that the reason The Emperor didn't build the legions entirely out of clones in the first place is clones have some kind of spiritual deficiency that prevents them from winning wars and building the glories of resurgent humanity. That makes me feel like I have learned some kind of literary insight.

The problem with trying to make clones inherently imperfect is that any monzygotic twin is a clone. So identical twins will by this logic be completely sucky in 40k. Amongst the Eldar at any rate, their twins and even triplets are very closely bonded and used as titan pilots. Nothing about crappy half souls or geneitc unluck...

Hellebore

TheDungen
18-03-2013, 06:26
maybe it has to do with imperfections in the imperiums cloning technology?

Harwammer
18-03-2013, 19:37
The problem with trying to make clones inherently imperfect is that any monzygotic twin is a clone. So identical twins will by this logic be completely sucky in 40k. Amongst the Eldar at any rate, their twins and even triplets are very closely bonded and used as titan pilots. Nothing about crappy half souls or geneitc unluck...

Hellebore

I'd be hesitant to apply the genetic/'soul' rules of humans in 40k to the eldar too. That said, perhaps the eldar twin titan pilots are so effective is because they do share the same soul (or at least have a lot of overlap in their souls)?

Hellebore
18-03-2013, 23:59
Well I did qualify the example of the eldar. But the Imperium has twins and they aren't portrayed as incomplete, broken, or unlucky (there were twins in the last chancers for example). Souls in 40k have to follow the same principles across species or they wouldn't interact the same way with the warp, daemons, and the chaos gods.

Remember also that you don't have to 'clone' people in the 'flesh tanks' sort of way. To create 'natural' clones all you need is a divided embryo that you break into smaller parts and then implant into women. They do this now. You can get quintuplets that are identical because the embryo was broken into multiple clumps of cells.

And in very rare cases you can get natural identical triplets/quadruplets, whose original egg split 4 times (triplets would be an example of quadruplets where one embryo didn't develop). Cloning is also a common part of many organisms on Earth already.

The point being that although the 'image' of bad luck clones is cool, like so many things with GW these days, when you go beyond just the shallow chrome cool image and look at what it MEANS and the consequences, you realise how stupid it is.

Hellebore

agurus1
19-03-2013, 01:10
But the Imperium has twins and they aren't portrayed as incomplete, broken, or unlucky (there were twins in the last chancers for example).

They are in the Last Chancers, isn't that the general definition of being "unlucky"? lol ;)

Souls in 40k have to follow the same principles across species or they wouldn't interact the same way with the warp, daemons, and the chaos gods.

different souls do interact differently in the warp, psykers, people with tremendous willpower, ect... thats why humans are the Dark Gods soul of choice for corruption compared to other xenos species (eldar being the exception for a certain someone) ect...

The point being that although the 'image' of bad luck clones is cool, like so many things with GW these days, when you go beyond just the shallow chrome cool image and look at what it MEANS and the consequences, you realise how stupid it is.

I don't see how the image of cloning as less viable or morally/spiritually powerful as using regular homegrown humans is "stupid"? Its an interesting message, and a nice way of saying that even though individual human lives don't matter the "soul and spirit" of the human race as a whole does.

Hellebore
19-03-2013, 01:32
They are in the Last Chancers, isn't that the general definition of being "unlucky"? lol ;)

Which would necessitate that ALL non twins in the imperium are even less lucky, because the other 10 last chancers were not twins...

different souls do interact differently in the warp, psykers, people with tremendous willpower, ect... thats why humans are the Dark Gods soul of choice for corruption compared to other xenos species (eldar being the exception for a certain someone) ect...

They don't interact differently, a human psyker and an eldar psyker do exactly the same thing. The differences you are referring to are not species based, but psychic power based, which is common across all species. Even orks are corruptable by chaos and humans are simply the most commonly corrupted species.

A soul is a soul, the description of them in 40k does not change based on species. How MUCH they interact with the warp is not the same as how they do it.

I don't see how the image of cloning as less viable or morally/spiritually powerful as using regular homegrown humans is "stupid"? Its an interesting message, and a nice way of saying that even though individual human lives don't matter the "soul and spirit" of the human race as a whole does.

Because the consequences require too many leaps to make sense, as per twins and natural clones or species that reproduce asexually. Everything in reality reflects in the warp, there is no reason a 'soul' would split across two individuals. There is nothing about souls that requires they be fixed to specific sets of realspace atoms.

Hellebore

agurus1
19-03-2013, 01:44
I don't think there is anything I have ever read in the fluff about twins having split souls and all that or being unlucky. Even that story about the strain of guardsmen did say they were individually unlucky, but that they were simply unlucky as a unit and perhaps it was because they were cloned. I'm not talking about twins being less valid but the process of cloning (creating identical creatures) to create space marines requiring (from the Imperium at least) a more human approach.

as for the last chancers bit, the 10 other last chancers were each and individual and birthed separately. Out of the 12, they each had 1/12 of the bad luck yes, but it could have been argued that the twins to arrive in the world together, and to reach the last chancers together, their single "shared soul" if that is an actual 40k fluff thing (I haven't read it) was sharing 2/12 of the unluckiness lol but like I said I don't believe in that unlucky mumbo jumbo

Lothlanathorian
19-03-2013, 03:19
So Alpharius and Omegon aren't one soul in two bodies? (I really don't know)

Hellebore
19-03-2013, 04:28
So Alpharius and Omegon aren't one soul in two bodies? (I really don't know)

There's no evidence for it. There's the usual twin platitudes stated by people in the writing, but nothing that actually provides any kind of proof.

Primarchs though are more like daemon princes with fleshy realspace vessels rather than mortal creatures, and daemons do function differently to mortals. They don't have a 'soul' per se.

@agurus, my point was trying to head off the simplistic thinking that cloning is inherently flawed in the 40k universe which the white dwarf fluff blurb for the Afriel Strain has led many to believe.

Cloning does happen in 40k. The mechanicum uses cloning a lot and cloning tissues for replacement parts is also used.

Hellebore

Lord-Caerolion
19-03-2013, 08:34
The difference to me is that a clone is an artificial being, whereas altough identical twins are genetically the same thing, in 40k they seem to be completely different things spiritually. A clone is a "soulless" construction made in a laboratory, in a process that is heretical and barely understood by the Imperium. We have two examples of it in use, being the Afriel Strain, which was a massive mistake in the end, and the incidents in the terrible Blood Angels books, which also ended badly for those involved.
So no, the process isn't well understood by the Imperium. It's an unknown, forbidden science, that each time we've seen it attempted has ended badly.

Orthodox
21-03-2013, 00:02
Grown-ups loves numbers. When you tell them about a new friend, they never ask you any questions about essential matters. They never say to you: "What does his voice sound like? What games does he prefer? Does he collec butterflies?" Instead, they demand: "How old is he? How many brothers has he? How much does he weigh? How much money does his father make?" Then they think that they have learned anything about him.

If you were to say to the grown-ups: "I saw a beautiful house made of rosy brick, with geraniums in the windows and doves on the roof," they would not be able to get any idea of that house at all. You would have to say to them: "I saw a house that cost $100,000". Then they would exclaim: "Oh, what a pretty house!"

Just so, you might say to them: "The proof that the little prince existed is that he was charming, that he laughed, and that he was looking for a sheep. If anybody wants a speciallysheep, that is a proof that he exists", they would shrug their shoulders, and treat you like a child. But if you said to them: "The planet he came from is the Asteroid B 612", then they would be convinced, and leave you in peace from their questions.

They are like that. One must not hold it against them. Children should always show great forbearance toward grown-up people.

But certainly for us who understand life, numbers are a matter of indifference.

any monzygotic twin is a clone.

yeah I think the point of 40k is that a monozygotic twin is not a clone, as in without that difference between reality and 40k there would be no reason to have invented 40k.