PDA

View Full Version : Jokes during games?

carldooley
16-03-2013, 16:52
anyone ever crack wise during a game? yesterday I played a round robin with 2 other players, TE and GK. The tau player was commiserating about his markerlights not being terribly effective, to which I said, "You use markerlights for the same reason I play the lottery - we both have hope." which cracked him up. any other memorable tension breakers during games?

Zothos
16-03-2013, 16:57
My gaming group is constantly joking.

I wouldn't play a game for any other reason than to have fun. So for me it's a requisite to joke and laugh...

Bubble Ghost
16-03-2013, 17:48
anyone ever crack wise during a game?

Does anyone not??

NemoSD
16-03-2013, 17:54
Does anyone not??

I used to make fun of my Wraithlord and his Brightlance that never misses, but never wounds.... now I do ritual blessings and exorcisms in hoping of that bloody thing to actually kill something... to no success... although I did seem to incite a group of people to attempt to re-enact the Spanish Inquisition on me, but I shouted "Lightning Bolt!" and ran away. That confused them plenty.

Would anyone be interested in buying a Wraithlord? Totally not related to my previous statement.

PS: Not actually selling my Wraithlord... just needed to make the last joke. He is actually quite useful, the fact that he never misses has result in hilarity as I am knocking flying MCs out of the sky...

Vipoid
16-03-2013, 18:07

I wouldn't play a game for any other reason than to have fun. So for me it's a requisite to joke and laugh...

Likewise.

I think jokes make games much more enjoyable.

neko
16-03-2013, 18:25
Jokingly saying "So, you need anything but a 1, right?" has nearly earned me a beating on more than one occasion ;)

Cthell
16-03-2013, 18:38
Likewise.

I think jokes make games much more enjoyable.

Thirded.

In fact, I find people who won't smile occasionally rather dull to play against

Fizzy
16-03-2013, 18:55
Every game. We always laugh even at things in game like when a guy gets 80 close combat attacks with orks and misses half and wounds nothing.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
16-03-2013, 18:57
Of course. Half the fun of the game comes from jokes.

Eldartank
16-03-2013, 19:25
Years ago at my old game store, there were a couple ongoing jokes during games. The Imperial Guard player almost always joked about killing the enemy with flashlights when his dozens upon dozens of regular troops fired their lasguns. Someone almost always said, "The bugs are too many!" when the Tyranid player deployed his massive Tyranid swarm (in case anyone was wondering, that was a reference to the scene in the "Braveheart" movie where one of the Scots looking at the massed English army yells "The anglish are too many!"). Then there was the common saying, "If you throw enough dice at something, you will eventually kill it."

And of course, everyone knows it is a proven scientific fact that painted armies cause better dice rolls! :)

atlantis
16-03-2013, 19:34
my vindicare assassin fall sort tis, hitting on 2's and using the wound on a 2+. he in his entire life of 35 games had killed: 0, wounded: 0. every times he fails it is just laughter cos he is ment to kill anyone

Lord Squidar
16-03-2013, 21:03
Today in our games the imperial vox network got crossed lines (botched order) to which everyone agreed the Colonel got through to an Indian call centre offering cell phone upgrades instead of the guys trying to get back into the fight.

Baaltor
16-03-2013, 22:16
Does anyone not??

I don't, you should feel bad about being so ignorant.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
16-03-2013, 22:21
This here gamming is are serrius biznus, no laffs till i win.

Azzy
16-03-2013, 23:09

Same here. It just comes natural and makes the game flow better--especially when the dice decide to go union on you. :)

MajorWesJanson
16-03-2013, 23:20
What do Tau call a basic lasgun armed guardsman?

A Marker Drone.

Freakiq
17-03-2013, 00:02
What do you call a lasgun with a laser sight?

Twin-linked.

GlenMorray
17-03-2013, 00:09
Man, I think the only reason I play is because I take great delight in my best mates army under performing constantly! :]

That and every time a Necron Flayed One rocks up we always do impersonations of them asking to Guardsmen in a robotic come homey style fashion! :)

...And I have Orks...Nuff said

MajorWesJanson
17-03-2013, 00:13
What do you call an Ork who manages to hit his target?

Surprised.

terradax
17-03-2013, 00:24
Due to the amount of jewelry on my Pink Horrors, I've renamed them "Pimp Horror".

And once I moved my single Chaos Spawn out of sight to prevent my opponent an easy kill point, and screaming "Suck my dicks!" while doing so.

Francis
17-03-2013, 00:24
Always tries to toss in a joke or as it does make the game far more enjoyable, strangely enough though I almost always seem to be more lighthearted when I play with my Guard then when I play with my High Elves. I don't know whether this is because of the different game systems or because I really don't mind it that much when my guardsmen bites the bullet (I do tend to get rather tight faced every time I loose a considerable number of elves).

GlenMorray
17-03-2013, 00:29
Terradax, that's funny mate! :D

Chem-Dog
17-03-2013, 00:31
Yes, my group constantly indulges in sledging of opponents, banter and general humour usually aimed at particular models who are having "one of those days", unfortunately much of it would be deemed inappropriate for Warseer's PG13 status, and the rest....you kinda had to be there.

But more often than not I find the real laughs come from the other conversations we have whilst playing, more than once play has been suspended because whatever lunatic tangent we were following has distracted us entirely from playing.

Our D&D sessions are usually the worst.

Vipoid
17-03-2013, 10:41
Our D&D sessions are usually the worst.

Ah, yes, I know that one. :D

ntw3001
17-03-2013, 12:14
I absolutely do not endorse in-game levity. I bring jokers back down to earth with a long, cold stare. There is only war.

rapaxvita
17-03-2013, 14:17
Yeah, we joke all the time when we played games.

I believe where there was one time where I had sent a squad of my marines up to deal with some pesky tau. However the entire squad was wiped out except for the sergeant. He then proceeded to pass the morale check and survive the entire rest of the game running around taking pot shots at random things and he was dubbed sergeant bob. I have since then renamed him sergeant bob every time i play.

NemoSD
17-03-2013, 15:08
Yeah, we joke all the time when we played games.

I believe where there was one time where I had sent a squad of my marines up to deal with some pesky tau. However the entire squad was wiped out except for the sergeant. He then proceeded to pass the morale check and survive the entire rest of the game running around taking pot shots at random things and he was dubbed sergeant bob. I have since then renamed him sergeant bob every time i play.

My Guard, I have a sometimes attached Inquisitor (Not using GK, just modeled to look inquistory). His interrogator, serves a PCS to a platoon, and that guy has earned his golden Plasma Pistol. (I give officer models who seem to have a lot of luck a Plasma Pistol until they mess up... usually by exploding their pistol in their own face.) This Interrogator though, well he earned his pistol when I gave him one because I had extra points against Tyranid. Due to a movement mistake, I moved him, and his Chimera mounted platoon to far forward, and he got stuck in with a bunch of hermagaunts, and a Hive Tyrant started to come his way. His PCS and one squad would escape the Cluster that was the Chimeras, into a building. The guants would assault the building, and before long, the Interrogator was on his own. No PCS anymore, just him, his pistol, and a power sword.

So he hunkered down on the third floor of the ruins, and started to take pot shots at the Hive Tyrant.

The guants got delayed thrying to climb up to the second floor, long enough for my static guard element to move forward, and take advantage of the fact that my opponent was now focused on this lowly Interregator. Why was he focused on the Interrogator? Because the Interrogator had killed his hive tyrant with the plasma pistol, and he wanted revenge.

The Interrogator escaped the battle, having lost all his men, but his heroic last stand in that ruin won me the game. He finally did get assaulted, and never even got touched as he carved through the gaunt squad, single handidly killing them all by the end of turn 7. Since then, the guy has never fallen in battle, although his platoon remains ranked as the one with the highest mortality.

I also have the Chicken Kicking Gold Medalist of Armored Sentinels. It was outflanked by Creed, and killed Five Leman Russes in two turns. It arrived behind the Russes, and fired its HK and Plasma cannon, both hitting rear armor of some squadroned Russes, and exploding the tanks with both (One explosion sent the squad hiding behind the Russ running off the board.) Next turn, the Sentinel fired into the back of a his three other squadroned tanks, killed one, then charged, and on the charge managed to pen with both chicken kicks, and explode both tanks. (The Walker suffered a horrible death after this at the hands of a not very nice Vendetta, but was avenged by the autocannon wielding Sentinel from the other side of the table. He had put the Vendetta in hover to avenge his tank line... he later joked, "Totally worth it... until I realized I lost almost 1200 points to kill a 120 point model... still worth it though, totally, the ********* had to die."

That guy now targets my sentinels no matter what army he is running. He is terrified of the damned things.

boreas
17-03-2013, 15:27
It's common for us to comment that "some ethiopian dude just found water while digging" when someone rolls badly (a thing about universe finding balance). In the same way, a few good rools in a row will see someone hit by a bus in the middle of the desert...

NemoSD
17-03-2013, 15:42
It's common for us to comment that "some ethiopian dude just found water while digging" when someone rolls badly (a thing about universe finding balance). In the same way, a few good rools in a row will see someone hit by a bus in the middle of the desert...

Wow... what kind of stakes are you guys playing for, when the universe balances a bad roll with a guy finding a resource to stave off death to the next crisis?

fred953d
17-03-2013, 16:14
Back when I used my Tau army a lot, I used to run a Monat Commander, he almost always got insta killed by lascannon shots. When I got around to magnetizing the weapons I had 2 magnets left, so I decided to magnetize the head, because why not. Then when he got shot I would remove his head. Then someday he got a gun instead of a head, and so commander Gunhead was born, the guy who for his head shot half of, and mounted a weapon directly in contact with his brain.

RagnarBlackmane
17-03-2013, 16:19
Hell jokes make games better. I regularly game and find it relaxing, not competitive style.

Usual enemies are tau and other marines (I have wolves) and the amount of times the 'ok I need 2+ to wound and atleast half the dice are 1s' pops up is unbelievable. Just last week I had my thunderwolf lord shot by 2 hamerheads for two turns that did nothing (BS5 Hammerheads) because of the 1s, I swear he was firing potatoes not shells.

FashaTheDog
17-03-2013, 17:04
my vindicare assassin fall sort tis, hitting on 2's and using the wound on a 2+. he in his entire life of 35 games had killed: 0, wounded: 0. every times he fails it is just laughter cos he is ment to kill anyone

I had to retire one of my my Vindicare Assassins with the loss of the Witch Hunter codex, but he too has never once killed the enemy. He has, however, executed many a lone Guardsmen too insubordinate to die or fallback from an assault as ordered. See, after noticing a disturbing pattern of watching a single model of mine survive the assault and pass their Ld test against whatever enemy unit I really wanted dead, I added an Inquisitor, the assassin, and a couple of SoB units to my army so I could take a Vindicare to solve that very problem and it worked great as I shot myself out of assaults so the insane enemy assault monsters could be blown off the table, as opposed to hiding from the Emperor's wrath in the assault like the cowards they are. I even got the Last Chancers model Hero, removed his arms, puttied up his hat a little, and added an exitus rifle to make a Commissariat Vindicare. The other Vindicare is fairly incompetent, usually doing nothing of value, but surprising me every now and again. He came as part of a used lot and was aptly painted Tick blue prompting me to go "duh dwee, duh da da da dwee dwow (http://www.televisiontunes.com/Tick_(The).html)" as I roll to miss or fail to wound. I have left him painted as such and am considering adding an accountant in a moth suit to help him.

ugavine
17-03-2013, 23:16
My opponent had a female Commissar/captain/whatever in his IG army. My Orks charged in, made a challenge, and without really thinking about what I was saying I said loud enough for most of the room to hear, "I hit the woman with my Nob!"

Of all the Nob gags that go about, that was one of the best. :)

wyvirn
18-03-2013, 02:14
I've been trying to get a nerdy, trash talking thing going before big games, like:
Yo Emperor is so stupid, he thinks 'Heavy Flamer should go on a diet!'

TheDoctor
18-03-2013, 02:52
My friend's Nurgle Sorcerer on a bike has been named "Tardimus Maximus", as he has:
-Embarrisingly died to a couple dudes on Overwatch fire
-Killed himself with perils (a couple times)

hes even painted the name on the base of the model now

Nikolaus
18-03-2013, 03:13
My friend still cant live down Draigo being killed by my 10 cultists with autopistols.. its always brought up when he fields GK... or similar armies.. he has such terrible luck.. Like a Markerlight causing a groundtest which ended up killing the MC or 1 tau shas'ui (mine again) surviving a round of combat and putting two wounds on Kharn and 20 bezerkers.. which won me the game as he needed to capture the Objective and not just contest

Baaltor
18-03-2013, 07:20
I was once in a GW store, with two kids (14~) playing a game, and I heard one of them say: my favourite part about ordnance is double penetration. He was serious. I was the only person in the store to hear, and understand that.

Bold_or_Stupid
18-03-2013, 13:17
If my Wolf scouts miss a reserve roll, they're drunk.
If a powerful weapon (usually DE Blast pistols) hit but roll on one to wound they forgot to load it.

Tarian
18-03-2013, 13:38
I usually call out "Boots and Knives!" When my Guard Blob manages to trample someone important to death. They've brought Draigo, Abbadon, and (almost) Mephiston down with sheer numbers. Gonna roll a 1 eventually... (Of course, plinking them with Plasma, Lascannons, and artillery beforehand helps as well.)

Saffer
18-03-2013, 13:39
Every game. We always laugh even at things in game like when a guy gets 80 close combat attacks with orks and misses half and wounds nothing.

We have to get a special tub when I roll dice. Then the inevitable the 3 billion rolls and 0 wounds, I actually have Repetitive Strain Injury

NemoSD
18-03-2013, 15:55
I was once in a GW store, with two kids (14~) playing a game, and I heard one of them say: my favourite part about ordnance is double penetration. He was serious. I was the only person in the store to hear, and understand that.

How I hate when minors make sex jokes... there is no way to save yourself. You can laugh at it, which encourages them, you can admonish them, which gets you "Aint my daddy" looks, or you can ignore them. Ignoring them is the only real option. It is worse when you are playing them, and even worse when they are a girl. A 30 year old man can play Army men with a 15 year old, I just pretend I am mentoring the kid... but with a 15 year old girl... I feel creepy. Thankfully it doesn't happen anymore, she found a new crush it seems. (She'd only ever play me, and whenever she had a question and I was in the store, she would seek me out. You know in hindsight, she might of been the one making me feel creepy, not that fact she was a minor girl.)

Konovalev
18-03-2013, 18:59
Back in 3ED, I had a Tau Shas'El that managed to kill an Avatar in close combat. After that we often joked that the decline of the Eldar race was an example of Darwin's law in action.

Vipoid
18-03-2013, 19:05
If my Wolf scouts miss a reserve roll, they're drunk.

On a similar note, my group often jokes about our marine player's scout (sniper) sergeant.

Despite having better BS, he seems to hit maybe 1 in every 12 shots. :p

Baaltor
18-03-2013, 19:25
How I hate when minors make sex jokes... there is no way to save yourself. You can laugh at it, which encourages them, you can admonish them, which gets you "Aint my daddy" looks, or you can ignore them. Ignoring them is the only real option. It is worse when you are playing them, and even worse when they are a girl. A 30 year old man can play Army men with a 15 year old, I just pretend I am mentoring the kid... but with a 15 year old girl... I feel creepy. Thankfully it doesn't happen anymore, she found a new crush it seems. (She'd only ever play me, and whenever she had a question and I was in the store, she would seek me out. You know in hindsight, she might of been the one making me feel creepy, not that fact she was a minor girl.)

I feel for you on the girl topic, that wouldn't be fun if she's doing that. And yeah, I hate it when anyone of any age makes jokes about things they don't understand the severity or significance of, rape, murder sex, whatever; that's not a laughable subject.

But I meant the boy said seriously as in he wasn't aware of the blatant innuendo he made, it was really funny, and made me feel like a terrible person for being the only one to get it. XD

Cthell
18-03-2013, 19:27
I remember back in 4th ed, I had an inquisitorial retinue that was shot by (IIRC) a hail of plasma fire, and after loosing the more squishy members of the retinue, there was only an acolyte with refractor field between my inquisitor and 4 instant-death plasma wounds. I took the first save - passed - second save - passed - third save - passed - fourth save - failed; the inquisitor breathed a sigh of relief. We joked that that refractor field must've been powered by duracel...

Rated_lexxx
18-03-2013, 20:10
My opponent has 2 bloodletters left in a unit, my unit of boyz walks pass them to kill a larger unit of pink horrors(this was in 5th)

Blood letter 1: Wait why did those guys walk pass us

Blood letter 2: Oh my god you know why. We must be invisible

Blood letter 1: But I can still see you

Blood letter 3: Duh you can see me because were both invisible

This is the scene we said to each other as this happened in game

ColShaw
18-03-2013, 20:36
I make jokes all the time while playing. Mostly at the expense of my own army.

FashaTheDog
18-03-2013, 20:58

You may not have considered it, but it is possible that you were the only person she felt comfortable around. Think about it, here she is surrounded by a bunch of guys of a variety of ages, all of whom are fairly nerdy and likely in a habit of making jokes that are somewhat less than PC (as seems wont for most all, or predominately all, male environments. She enjoys the game and may be geeky herself, but you could see how she could feel a little uncomfortable about going to the store and hanging out with all of you at first. You may have struck her as someone more mature than the rest and sought you out for games advice because she did not feel you to be creepy like the other people in the group. As time went on and she became accustomed to the group, she shed this tendency and integrated into the group as a whole more comfortably. If this were indeed the case, then you are basically the father figure of your gaming group or the kindly old man that all the neighbors trust and turn to. Buy yourself a congratulatory cardigan. This is a fairly common occurrence in groups; a newcomer may find themselves wanting to join but intimidated or shy about the group at large and eases themselves in as a regular member by "clinging" (not necessarily literally) to one person who strikes them as friendlier or safer than the others until they are accustomed to the group dynamic feel more at ease with it. Worth bearing in mind.

As to my own group, there is much to joke about and no one is shy to do so. Some folks have joke minis, some, current and former, have joke armies (these do seem predominantly Ork armies, but still). I have an Angry Marine army and a piece of terrain that is the toll booth from Blazing Saddles (http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=147292&d=1344187748) (next to it is an objective counter of a Chaos Marine walking his pet Bloodletter), I even have a Canadian Marine, complete with plaid flannel power armor, a took, and a snack of back bacon. Just look around the internet and the sheer number of gag minis is staggering, just going to show how serious this game really is.

Nonalyth
18-03-2013, 23:29
I have a friend who's Dark Lances are so consistently useless that they've become a running joke. The way it generally goes is he announces he's firing Dark Lances, his opponent gets disheartened, then someone points out that they're his Dark Lances and everything will be ok.

And it always is.

NemoSD
19-03-2013, 02:18
You may not have considered it, but it is possible that you were the only person she felt comfortable around. Think about it, here she is surrounded by a bunch of guys of a variety of ages, all of whom are fairly nerdy and likely in a habit of making jokes that are somewhat less than PC (as seems wont for most all, or predominately all, male environments. She enjoys the game and may be geeky herself, but you could see how she could feel a little uncomfortable about going to the store and hanging out with all of you at first. You may have struck her as someone more mature than the rest and sought you out for games advice because she did not feel you to be creepy like the other people in the group. As time went on and she became accustomed to the group, she shed this tendency and integrated into the group as a whole more comfortably. If this were indeed the case, then you are basically the father figure of your gaming group or the kindly old man that all the neighbors trust and turn to. Buy yourself a congratulatory cardigan. This is a fairly common occurrence in groups; a newcomer may find themselves wanting to join but intimidated or shy about the group at large and eases themselves in as a regular member by "clinging" (not necessarily literally) to one person who strikes them as friendlier or safer than the others until they are accustomed to the group dynamic feel more at ease with it. Worth bearing in mind.

As to my own group, there is much to joke about and no one is shy to do so. Some folks have joke minis, some, current and former, have joke armies (these do seem predominantly Ork armies, but still). I have an Angry Marine army and a piece of terrain that is the toll booth from Blazing Saddles (http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=147292&d=1344187748) (next to it is an objective counter of a Chaos Marine walking his pet Bloodletter), I even have a Canadian Marine, complete with plaid flannel power armor, a took, and a snack of back bacon. Just look around the internet and the sheer number of gag minis is staggering, just going to show how serious this game really is.

Oh god, now that I think about, I am always the one the newbies go to first... Well I don't feel as creeped out now!

Commissar_Dashie
19-03-2013, 05:22
I love joking about things in games, one time we spent almost an entire game laughing as we came to the decision that my friends Necrons were all armed with dubstep weaponry.

Awilla the Hun
19-03-2013, 10:52
The Red Guards of Glorious Comrade Chairman Heinrich Von Stahl are a masterpiece of serious roleplay. I have never, under any circumstances, been asked to stop engaging in ideological debate and start playing warhammer with my opponent by GW Staff. My ames have never turned into a spectator sport. Trufax.

orkmiester
19-03-2013, 10:57
Oh god, now that I think about, I am always the one the newbies go to first... Well I don't feel as creeped out now!

i'd take it as a compliment to be honest with you, though with me i always get people asking me for help when i'm out and about, especially folks asking me for 'a light' despite the fact i hate smoking with a passion:p

on a lighter note we always have jokes at my club. One of the best laughs recently was when one destroyer necron lord held up 900pts if chaos and refused to die and hence made the necrons win the game (relic mission...) that was funny the old epi list had cheesed itself- simply because the tally meant that the challengers did not die to the lord and he did not die from them either, it showed the challenge rules up indeed:D

other jokes and trolling revolves around the highly suspect dice rolls and situations that occur in our games, as well as a bit of trash talk (warning it can go further than intended:shifty::eek:), examples include vendettas missing despite re-rolls, obliterators that cannot hit a barn door and the infamous gets hot on plasma guns.

as they say keep calm and troll along:D

RandomThoughts
19-03-2013, 12:10
We don't really have staple (stale?) jokes, as they quickly stop being funny.

Most of our humor is situation based, either when something unexpected happens in a game, or when there is some innuendo going on between the models on the table. One rather immature joke that had us cracking up was the one time a (female) calidus assassin decided to reveal herself right between two Wraithlords with twin-lances on their shoulders. They charged here from both sides, leaving her pretty sandwiched, the callidus owner had to endure lewd jokes about it for quite a while...

There are less immature situations, too. Like the one time War Walkers came in from one flank, got charged immediately from Marine Scouts coming in from the same flank, who got ccountercharged a turn later by Scorpions also coming in from the same flank. As our game was set to take place in ancient jungle ruins (think Yavin IV, or Maja ruins), we joked that the various outflankers must have all sneaked up on each other, hiding in secret passages in the old ruins and in holes hidden under camoflage nets and stuff.

Then of course there was that one time back in 5th my Eldar got beaten into the ground by a pal's Grey Knights, loosing unit after unit while their shots bounced off the Grey Knights like rubber. At the end of the fifth, I took my dice, looked my pal straight in the eyes and asked: "You're aware that I hold more objectives than you do?"
The horror in his eyes as realization dawned on him...

Not to mention the one time my unit of sneaky Scorpions came out of a forest, massacred some imperial snipers and returned back into the forest, vanishing without a trace. I needed those snipers dead before I could fully commit my Wraithlords, but once they were gone, there simply wasn't a good target left for the Scorpions, so I decided to do the fluffy thing. We spent dinner joking about the mini-Predator-movie taking place in the middle of the battle.

I think we're mostly about finding the humor and the drama inherant to the game, picking up on when something amazing happens and bringing it to everyone's attention.

DeathGlam
19-03-2013, 14:13
You need jokes and jokey trash talk especially as i might lose the battle most times but i can win the war of words.:p

Johnnya10
19-03-2013, 14:16
Everytime someone fails a leadership test, Pythonesque shouts of "Run away!" are heard around my gaming table. Worst joke so far was "What's a Thousand Sons favourite soft drink? Rubricon!" which earned some head-shaking.

You've got to have a laugh though. It is a game after all. I quite enjoy a model joke too. The 'new codex marine' is a classic. One of my gaming buddies has a legion of the Damned unit, the sergeant of which has the logo from the band 'The Damned' on his shoulder and is wearing shades. Still makes me chuckle. :)

ChromeZephyr
19-03-2013, 14:49
Most of our humor is situation based, either when something unexpected happens in a game, or when there is some innuendo going on between the models on the table. One rather immature joke that had us cracking up was the one time a (female) calidus assassin decided to reveal herself right between two Wraithlords with twin-lances on their shoulders. They charged here from both sides, leaving her pretty sandwiched, the callidus owner had to endure lewd jokes about it for quite a while...

Sounds like me and my friends. ;) Though of course my brain went right into the gutter with "reveal herself"...I know, I know, the special hell.

Everytime someone fails a leadership test, Pythonesque shouts of "Run away!" are heard around my gaming table.

Love it. If I had armies than ever ran (:shifty:) I'd be doing that every time.

stereynolds
19-03-2013, 17:45
My Brother in law had a fully tooled up Tyranid Prime (plus unit of atatched hormagaunts), charged a unit of daemonettes (last codex not new one) and wiffed EVERYTHING. Didn't cause a single wound and Ineffectual Prime was born...We we're planning on handing him the Matrix of Leadership next game.

shadow_jynx
19-03-2013, 22:31
I use a LOTR Balrog as a proxy for bloodthirster as I don't like the GQ model, my friend has some kind of Grey Knight character who has a chance to instant kill whatever kills him in CC, I call him Gandalf and regularly throw my 'Bal-thirster' into combat with it just for him to shout 'You shall not pass!' :)

Overlord Krycis
20-03-2013, 01:08
I use a LOTR Balrog as a proxy for bloodthirster as I don't like the GQ model, my friend has some kind of Grey Knight character who has a chance to instant kill whatever kills him in CC, I call him Gandalf and regularly throw my 'Bal-thirster' into combat with it just for him to shout 'You shall not pass!' :)

I Have a Rune Priest called Gandalf...because every time someone successfully uses a psychic power I say in a suitably theatrical voice: "You shall not pass!" when rolling for my Runic weapon nullification-thingy.
He even has a Runic Staff...

Hasn't failed me yet... :)

The Templar
20-03-2013, 02:37
An ongoing one in my group was created after my pal was awarded knight of the inner circle at last years tos, once all the 'what did you do in the toilets to get those votes?' comments were used up it was decided that if he was to play one of us then we wouldnt get our vote. Naturally he disagreed so now we all make a point of shouting 'and thats where you lost my vote' at any dirty tactic or bad play on his part during a game.

Also, at a local gw store, it was not unheard of for the staffers to say during intro games (in the old black reach set) 'use your fist on that nob and pound it till its dead' or 'give him a good powerfisting'

best one ive heard? at a tourney a friends lone sob was charged by a horde of gaunts, both people start sniggering untill his opponent just says 'bukakke!'. Awesome!!

neko
20-03-2013, 04:07
Back in the day, my Tau often used to fight the 13th Company. Whenever I was getting the Wulfen to chase my drones, we would refer to it as playing frisbee with the dogs.

NemoSD
20-03-2013, 04:08
Back in the day, my Tau often used to fight the 13th Company. Whenever I was getting the Wulfen to chase my drones, we would refer to it as playing frisbee with the dogs.

Did they eat the frisbee when they caught it? If not... how did you get them to stop... I am really terrified that my dog will become a mutant with the amount of plastic she eats...

RandomThoughts
20-03-2013, 08:06
Sounds like me and my friends. ;) Though of course my brain went right into the gutter with "reveal herself"...I know, I know, the special hell.

If you are a fan of Firefly ... you already live in a very special hell.

Nice one. :)

RandomThoughts
20-03-2013, 08:08

RandomThoughts
20-03-2013, 08:13

RandomThoughts
20-03-2013, 08:15

Borgnine
20-03-2013, 15:40

That is awesome!

'IllBillyOrk
23-03-2013, 17:36
These are all hilarious stories, I play orks so the nonsense from my end is never ending. During an Apoc match Commander Dante landed behind my Dredd MNob and attempted to throw the Vortex Grenade and it scattered directly back on him. Everyone looked dumbfounded until i said "No, no no ya pull da pin an frow da uvver part."

Izzuan
24-03-2013, 01:37
So I was playing nids one day, and my bro charges my hive tyrant with his wraiths+Destroyer lord. Tyrant dies like a punk. My turn I charge him with my 10 man unit of 'stealers....wipe them completely dead before they get to swing. Lord reanimates after the fight and runs away. 'Stealers chase him down, kill him a second time. He gets up again, runs away, and shoots my stealers to death with some warriors/monolith. Lord charges my shooty-gaunts...dies to overwatch, gets back up. Lord charges my Zoanthropes...dies again...gets back up. I think for the entire game, he passed 7 reanimation tests with the lord.

We nicknamed him "Jesus".

Tastyfish
24-03-2013, 02:31
Just starting to learn Tyranids after taking a fairly significant break (not played with them since they first came out in 3rd), this combined with getting to grips with 6th ed has led to a lot of rules misinterpretations and misremembered stats.
Doesn't take long to realise our mistakes, however after a quick check of the 'nid codex we're able to write these off as a learning experiences - afterall, half the army has Cheatin' and Reinforced Cheatin'

Freman Bloodglaive
24-03-2013, 02:58
The only thing that makes gaming bearable is when I joke that my kinder gentler Space Wolves (and now my Space Marines) have taken vows to never hurt anyone, because they don't.

Sternguard777
24-03-2013, 05:41
It is impossible to play a game in my family without humor. Especially with my brother who plays orks. We seem to make the best jokes in games with him.
One time a squad of meganobs failed a pinning test and failed to get back up for the rest of the game, so we joked that they had tripped and couldn't get back up.
His boss also seems incappable of missing with his kombi rokkit. Everytime he fires it at my vehicles they explode.

neko
24-03-2013, 06:17
The only thing that makes gaming bearable is when I joke that my kinder gentler Space Wolves (and now my Space Marines) have taken vows to never hurt anyone, because they don't.
Ah, I'm sure they're what we call "domesticated" ;)

rickyard
24-03-2013, 07:05
BEST moments are when something goes really wrong... specially with expensive units. My father plays Ultramarines:

-My father's captain gets killed himself after trying to fire his plasma pistol... WHIZZ oops, it's hot... (saving throw) he takes the gun again from the floor. Next turn he fires again, WHIIIIZ oooops it's really hot (saving throw).... he takes again the gun, next turn it happens again... WHIIIIIIZZZ OOOOOooops, it's ho..(poof!)
-My father's termies falling over an enemy unit, failing the mishap and being completely destroyed.

Or my Guard's army: My veteran guards receiving in the middle of the squad their own scattered demo charge... could you dude possibly please throw it FORWARD!! (We imagine the soldier moving like a discus-thrower)

To us, wh40k is always like seeing the dices and iagine exactly the effect of the result... I shoot 30+ flashlights to the termis... after 10 hits, my father has to obtain a 2+ and JUST obtained a SEVEN 2's? oooops your termies will need a painting sesion, dad!!
The best way to not get angry when something stupid happens!!

Azzy
25-03-2013, 04:37
I use a LOTR Balrog as a proxy for bloodthirster as I don't like the GQ model
I know, most GQ models are just so full of themselves. Balrogs, on the other hand, tend to be rather down to earth.

Just starting to learn Tyranids after taking a fairly significant break (not played with them since they first came out in 3rd), this combined with getting to grips with 6th ed has led to a lot of rules misinterpretations and misremembered stats.
Doesn't take long to realise our mistakes, however after a quick check of the 'nid codex we're able to write these off as a learning experiences - afterall, half the army has Cheatin' and Reinforced Cheatin'

Behold! Thy destroyer lord, Jesus, has returned.

RandomThoughts
25-03-2013, 10:40

Love it. If I had armies than ever ran (:shifty:) I'd be doing that every time.

So I was playing nids one day, and my bro charges my hive tyrant with his wraiths+Destroyer lord. Tyrant dies like a punk. My turn I charge him with my 10 man unit of 'stealers....wipe them completely dead before they get to swing. Lord reanimates after the fight and runs away. 'Stealers chase him down, kill him a second time. He gets up again, runs away, and shoots my stealers to death with some warriors/monolith. Lord charges my shooty-gaunts...dies to overwatch, gets back up. Lord charges my Zoanthropes...dies again...gets back up. I think for the entire game, he passed 7 reanimation tests with the lord.

We nicknamed him "Jesus".

But... Jesus only came back one. Wouldn't it make more sense to call him Lazarus? Or, if you're into Batman, call him Ras al'Ghul...

Freman Bloodglaive
25-03-2013, 20:54
Or Jean Grey?