PDA

View Full Version : Carrot Fluff

ninjapixel
17-03-2013, 03:25
So, I was thinking of getting myself started with WH40K and read up on lots of different chapters and what not. I decided to go with Dark Angels and use a detachment of Blood Angels together with them. Mainly because of two reasons, the way I plan to play and the way I feel about the models - they are awesome! So far, so good.

Now, here comes (what some people may hate me for and it's allright) my somewhat crazy idea... I intend to paint my Dark Angels mainly orange, with some black and white to that. Yes, Carrot Angels at your service!

Anyhow, how am I supposed to pull this off fluffwize? Claiming the color is inherited from years in prison doesn't really cut it considering they are Dark Angels. Pretending the chapter master accidently ordered wrong paint on all new power armour due to color blindness doesn't seem too legit.

Any ideas? I also plan on having my Blood Angels match up in color with their brothers in arms, maybe lots of black on them?

NemoSD
17-03-2013, 03:28
So, I was thinking of getting myself started with WH40K and read up on lots of different chapters and what not. I decided to go with Dark Angels and use a detachment of Blood Angels together with them. Mainly because of two reasons, the way I plan to play and the way I feel about the models - they are awesome! So far, so good.

Now, here comes (what some people may hate me for and it's allright) my somewhat crazy idea... I intend to paint my Dark Angels mainly orange, with some black and white to that. Yes, Carrot Angels at your service!

Anyhow, how am I supposed to pull this off fluffwize? Claiming the color is inherited from years in prison doesn't really cut it considering they are Dark Angels. Pretending the chapter master accidently ordered wrong paint on all new power armour due to color blindness doesn't seem too legit.

Any ideas? I also plan on having my Blood Angels match up in color with their brothers in arms, maybe lots of black on them?

They are a successor chapter with some tactical variations to allow for you Blood Angels Allies. Name your chapter like the Angels of Carrots, and there ya go! Easy Peasy.

Gorbad Ironclaw
17-03-2013, 05:30
If they are a successor chapter it will just be the colour they are given. Its not like there is any particular fluff to anyone else's colour scheme other than "we thought it looked good at the time".

ninjapixel
17-03-2013, 05:44
Well, I feel its a good idea at the moment and I think they will look great! We'll see if I regret this later... :P

insectum7
17-03-2013, 06:34
If they are a successor chapter it will just be the colour they are given. Its not like there is any particular fluff to anyone else's colour scheme other than "we thought it looked good at the time".

That's not really true. The Deathwing of the Dark Angles have some very specific fiction behind their colors. I also suspect that there's a storied reason why the chapter color is now green instead of it's original black. World Eaters and the Luna Wolves/Black Legion are both notable color changes as well.

Still Standing
17-03-2013, 07:07
Deathwing are white because it looks cool. They had their story added after the event. Dark Angels are green because a painter for Codex Angels of Death got the colours wrong.

TheDungen
17-03-2013, 10:53
green dark angels as i understand it was those recruited after having found the lion. the green represents the dark green of the forests of caliban.

I'm going to guess that the angels of vengance and consecrators both were founded by terran dark angels thus these chapters keeping something close to the pre lion colour scheme.

As for your angels of the carrot, i like it you should maybee look up terry pratchetts character with the same name (http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Carrot_Ironfoundersson)?

Still Standing
17-03-2013, 10:56
By the background the green is to allow the loyalists to quickly recognize those who betrayed the Lion in the battle for Caliban. The real reason is in my above post...

Chem-Dog
17-03-2013, 18:47
By the background the green is to allow the loyalists to quickly recognize those who betrayed the Lion in the battle for Caliban. The real reason is in my above post...

Surely then, the Ravenwing would be a fairly unhappy bunch....

NemoSD
17-03-2013, 19:00
Surely then, the Ravenwing would be a fairly unhappy bunch....

Its why they are on bikes... that way they can out run the Deathwing when they get confused :-p

Still Standing
18-03-2013, 07:45
It was a bad explanation. It's an established fact (or at least is now) that Marines have HUDs inside their helmets (on source for this is one of the intro videos for Dawn of War, the one with the Necrons). They wouldn't need to repaint armour, simply redesignate all enemy ID codes as enemy.

NemoSD
18-03-2013, 08:14
It was a bad explanation. It's an established fact (or at least is now) that Marines have HUDs inside their helmets (on source for this is one of the intro videos for Dawn of War, the one with the Necrons). They wouldn't need to repaint armour, simply redesignate all enemy ID codes as enemy.

Yeah but when was the last time you saw a Marine Captain, Master, or Sergent wearing their helmet?

totgeboren
18-03-2013, 08:30
@ninjapixel. I just feel I have to warn you, joke-theme and meme-themes for 40k armies can be sort of fun for your opponent (unless they are super-serious), but you will grow tired of the joke waaay faster.

Doing those sort of armies is a waste of money most of the time, as you will have a hard time getting inspiration after painting the first squad of model, and after that you will have a bunch of unpainted models to go with your first 5 which you painted, and the joke will be lost on other people, whilst at the same time you have poured a lot of money into the models.

On the other hand, I might have misinterpreted you completely (which I suspect), and the 'carrot' theme was more just a joke on them being orange (The Pyre (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Pyre#.UUbBw1eyJc8) are orange, and look pretty cool).

I was imagining things like banners with a big carrot on it, or a Whirlwind with carrot-shaped missiles and so on, which would be sort of funny, but maybe not the best idea in the long run. :P

MajorWesJanson
18-03-2013, 08:40

Their homeworld is mainly an orange/red desert like the southwest US, so the orange is to honor their world?

Tarian
18-03-2013, 16:40
Can always use the old standby, "A warp wizard did it."

Successor chapter works too.

NemoSD
18-03-2013, 16:47
Their homeworld is mainly an orange/red desert like the southwest US, so the orange is to honor their world?

There aint nothing orange or red about my homeland!

Anyways... moving on.

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-03-2013, 17:07
That's not really true. The Deathwing of the Dark Angles have some very specific fiction behind their colors. I also suspect that there's a storied reason why the chapter color is now green instead of it's original black. World Eaters and the Luna Wolves/Black Legion are both notable color changes as well.

As Still Standing explained there is quite a difference between adding some sort of explanation for colours after they are picked and for colour schemes to change/appear for story reasons. We have seen a handful examples of colour changes then given stories, I can't think of any that's the other way around. Usually because a lot of stuff didn't get detailed until way after they existed as painted models.

ninjapixel
21-03-2013, 16:47
Deathwing are white because it looks cool. They had their story added after the event. Dark Angels are green because a painter for Codex Angels of Death got the colours wrong.

I totally agree with them looking cool in white, however I feel it is somewhat less cool they are insanely common now.

As for your angels of the carrot, i like it you should maybee look up terry pratchetts character with the same name (http://discworld.wikia.com/wiki/Carrot_Ironfoundersson)?

Lol, never heard of this dude before - thanks!

Its why they are on bikes... that way they can out run the Deathwing when they get confused :-p

LOL! Bad things happen...

*Good post*

Yeah, I am not going to go for that carrot-thing really. I just mentioned this vegetable because of the color. I could aswell had called 'Viper 2013' (probably fewer people know about this?). I am going to do this seriously and paint as good as I can and will not have any carrots on the banners. They will be mainly forged like any other Dark Angels, but having their colors of green and white swapped to orange and black. I am also considering using black as a maincolor for my Blood Angel detachment of jumpers. White would probably suit them well also if I stained them a lot with blood and dirt... Thanks for the warning anyway.

...so the orange is to honor their world?

Not a bad idea at all.

Can always use the old standby, "A warp wizard did it."

Successor chapter works too.

1 - easy way out. 2 - more likely. :)

Charistoph
21-03-2013, 16:55
There aint nothing orange or red about my homeland!

Anyways... moving on.

Maybe referencing a little farther north, like the Painted Desert, maybe?

Those pics make me miss my drives to Yuma.