PDA

View Full Version : Lustria's finest - Lizardmen tactica

quina2525
17-03-2013, 02:54
Hello! Been floating about the tactics forums for a few months now and see no lizardmen tactics coming up. I apologise if there is already a thread but I have not seen anything!

What with a new armybook due quarter 3/4, im getting exited :)

So I'll start off, how do you internetters out there like your stegadon? Giant bow, giant blowpipes or engine of the gods? I use eotg mostly, preferring to use up hero choice points as I run few scar vets.

Cheers
John

Kayosiv
17-03-2013, 09:03
I tend to take 1 regular stegadon and 1 ancient stegadon in my lists. The ancient is unquestionably better, but I just don't have the rare points to fit 2 ancient stegadons because I also want multiple salamanders.

MOMUS
17-03-2013, 19:36
There is already a thread!
And in answer to your question I would say lizardmen tactics vary alot.

Many lizard generals like the lifebloom army, life slann backed up by solid blocks of TG and Saurus and stegs very solid and you can always 6 dice dwellers for lolz!

Other generals prefer the more tactically challenging army of skink chaff units by the bucket load, often supported by double slann (death/light/shadow/metal) and double scarvet cowboys. Indisputable kings of the chaff/sped-bump army. Unfortunately this type of army is usually heavily comped in tournament scene.

A balanced approach can be taken with blocks and chaff, light is a very good lore for lizards and can often be found in this type of army.

Myself I'm a chaff player who is changing to a solid blocky army I used to run the the engine but only at higher pts, now I'm taking two stegs in 2400 I would like the war spear chief steg to be viable but the engine is just too versatile so I'm taking that and a normal steg ATM.

quina2525
17-03-2013, 20:14
There is already a thread!
And in answer to your question I would say lizardmen tactics vary alot.

Many lizard generals like the lifebloom army, life slann backed up by solid blocks of TG and Saurus and stegs very solid and you can always 6 dice dwellers for lolz!

Other generals prefer the more tactically challenging army of skink chaff units by the bucket load, often supported by double slann (death/light/shadow/metal) and double scarvet cowboys. Indisputable kings of the chaff/sped-bump army. Unfortunately this type of army is usually heavily comped in tournament scene.

A balanced approach can be taken with blocks and chaff, light is a very good lore for lizards and can often be found in this type of army.

Myself I'm a chaff player who is changing to a solid blocky army I used to run the the engine but only at higher pts, now I'm taking two stegs in 2400 I would like the war spear chief steg to be viable but the engine is just too versatile so I'm taking that and a normal steg ATM.

Yeah I did a bit of searching earlier and found it, though it did seem like it was focused around 7th ed lizards.

I've been running large saurus blocks with lore of light, little to no skinks, and I've done alright this year. Engine of the gods is great for protecting my troops from shooting and then blasting enemies when they get into combat. I'm finding them really fun to play. I tried life but it wasn't for me im gonna stick to light.

My temple guard haven't performed too well yet, they haven't been killed or anything, just they haven't killed much :-S.

ftayl5
17-03-2013, 21:26
I am somewhat new to lizardmen so I don't even own a slann yet.
I've been running large saurus blocks supported by lots of skink skirmishers and salamanders and units of ranked skinks. I have 1 stegadon too.
A lot of people underestimate skink cohorts but I love 'em. 16 with a krox is only 135pts, which gets good rank bonus, 7 S3 attacks and 3 S6 attacks. Really useful unit for clearing out cavalry, skirmishers and anti-chaff units threatening my skirmishers as well as hitting flanks. They add rank bonus, take away the enemy rank bonus and the krox will usually get a few kills too.
Soon I'll have the models to run a horde of them too, with 3 kroxigor! Should be good.

So I'll start off, how do you internetters out there like your stegadon? Giant bow, giant blowpipes or engine of the gods? I use eotg mostly, preferring to use up hero choice points as I run few scar vets.
I haven't played a game large enough to run a EoTG's or a plain ancient stegadon yet but it would be better.

I've always though the war-spear chief was a great idea. Problem is it's almost 400pts. But 2D6+1 S6 Impact hits, 6 S6 attacks and D6 S6 thunderstomp hits... Would hurt... a lot.
Oh your elves have ASF? Shame they're all dead :evilgrin:

MOMUS
18-03-2013, 18:04
Personally I don't like the TG, but that's just me. Light is very very good for lizards, covers the main weaknesses and has some excellent ranged spells to complement your army. The casting levels are all pretty low meaning a slann with +1 power die can get really good mileage each magic phase, each spell comes with a boosted version meaning its a really flexible lore to use and harder to predict when playing against.

quina2525
18-03-2013, 18:49
Light is very very good for lizards, covers the main weaknesses and has some excellent ranged spells to complement your army. The casting levels are all pretty low meaning a slann with +1 power die can get really good mileage each magic phase, each spell comes with a boosted version meaning its a really flexible lore to use and harder to predict when playing against.

This. This is why i love lore of light. You can't boost life spells to affect all units within 12", and with the blocks of saurus flanking my Temple guard, its ace. I have found that with the slann im dominating the magic phases, which goes with the fluff i suppose ;)

So far all ive gained from temple guard is a meat shield for my slann. But you never know they might kill something yet :p.

Terrenord
18-03-2013, 19:59
40 TG with Lord Kroak and two blocks of Saurus on either side to hold up your opponents' armies is just plain cheese, but it works wonders against undead and daemons.

Ppistike
19-03-2013, 08:39
The main problem 4 me with the TG's is the miscast. Almost every roll is massacre if uR surrounded by them. (There was a battle once, when all of my TG's killed by me and non of them from my enemy.) So if u dont use life i think the skirmisher bunker is way better (and cheaper) option.

MOMUS
19-03-2013, 19:25
Yea I've been running a skirmishes bunker for a long time and love it. Recently heard of someone running double death slann which sounds fun. Im loving light so much im taking double! Latest list for me is something like this:

Slann general light loremaster
Slann BSB light +1powerdie/becalming
Skink priest scroll engine

2 swarms
29 Saurus FC
29 Saurus FC
29 skinks 3 krox FC
Skirmish bunker

Steg

EDIT: come to think of it if I switched the lore master to the BSB I could afford the plaque of tepok or a channeling staff...

JWhex
20-03-2013, 02:00
I usually run
slann
26-30 Temple gaurd
big block of saurus (30)
skink skirmishers
salamanders
one unit 3 kroxigars

This is my all comers list and usually smashes face pretty well. I dont have much trouble killing stuff with my temple gaurd, idk why people are having that problem. The only army that consistently gives me real trouble is VC.

I never take a stegadon because I think they are way too many points. Its a pity really because I have two metal stegs that I have owned since 5th edition and previously I used them in many fun games.

quina2525
21-03-2013, 01:15
I usually run
slann
26-30 Temple gaurd
big block of saurus (30)
skink skirmishers
salamanders
one unit 3 kroxigars

This is my all comers list and usually smashes face pretty well. I dont have much trouble killing stuff with my temple gaurd, idk why people are having that problem. The only army that consistently gives me real trouble is VC.

I never take a stegadon because I think they are way too many points. Its a pity really because I have two metal stegs that I have owned since 5th edition and previously I used them in many fun games.

Interesting. How do your kroxigors perform?

I'm in the middle of painting 6 so im interested to hear how they are :).

Clockwork
21-03-2013, 18:55
If you aren't getting a lot out of your Temple Guard, try them in horde.

quina2525
11-04-2013, 19:30
Yeah im finding temple guard quite killy now. Last night I miscast and blew up 18 of my 20 temple guard, and the remaining 2 managed to kill an entire unit of skellies!

Ps, Anyone tried running an oldblood on a carnosaur? I know a slann is preferable, but anyone tried it with success?

Moss
13-04-2013, 02:26
If you aren't getting a lot out of your Temple Guard, try them in horde.
An extra 300pts for what, three more attacks?

Danny76
30-04-2013, 11:45
Old tactica does seen to be gone now?

Anywho, I used to play Lizardmen way back in 5th, and while I sold all my stuff, I did find a couple of models the other day that got me wanting to start them up again. Now by chance I then immediately came into a job lot of models and now have a good amount.
I want to try to build a list out of this without having to buy anything (yet?). Though I think I will need more core to bring it up, also there are no skinks so probably need some anyway.

This is what there is:
Slaan.
Skink priest. + possibly 2 other skink characters.
Saurus BSB, mounted or foot.
Saurus scar vet, maybe one on cold one too?
24 Saurus with spears (cmnd)
2 swarms
30 Temple Guard (cmnd)
12 Saurus cav (cmnd)
2 Kroxigor
Stegadon (Ancient?)

I don't think I'd field those numbers perhaps, particularly the Cav. But that is my totals.
Now going to add this all up and check points, think I'd be aiming for 2000 or so points. Maybe 1500.
But I don't know how many points I should spend on items etc either, haven't really had a chance to look through them yet.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

quina2525
30-04-2013, 14:40
Hi Danny, the biggest force you could do with that is 1200 points, cause of the required 25% core. Your saurus comes up to 318 with spears. But you have plenty of special choices and Herod to choose from. I suggest all you need is a box of skinks (heck even 10) would bring you up to 1500 level. If your stegadon has a giant bow its a regular one, 2 giant blowpipes is the ancient one, or engine of the gods is a character mount. Hope this helps :).

Danny76
30-04-2013, 14:47
Brilliant thanks =)
I'll grab a box of skinks at some point.
Do you think that's enough as it'll be 20 odd. Or do you need them in lists for redirection etc? I can chuck the two Krox in there too to bring it up.

Stegadon is the bow one as its the old metal. Though I could try sticking blowpipes on.
I've got a blank Steg with just a base on its back that I could convert into the ancient with a few bits.
Trouble is the special is where I've got the most points already.

What is the best kind of BSB? Saurus with it? Or the slann seems to get mentioned a lot?

Dante blackfur
30-04-2013, 16:03
Brilliant thanks =)
Do you think that's enough as it'll be 20 odd. Or do you need them in lists for redirection etc? I can chuck the two Krox in there too to bring it up.

Stegadon is the bow one as its the old metal. Though I could try sticking blowpipes on.
I've got a blank Steg with just a base on its back that I could convert into the ancient with a few bits.

What is the best kind of BSB? Saurus with it? Or the slann seems to get mentioned a lot?

Slann. for the main purpose that it can be your general AND bsb on the same model. Can save you a couple hundred pts not having to buy a designated hero for your BSB.

quina2525
30-04-2013, 17:00
Brilliant thanks =)

I normally just field them as skirmishers in units of 10 as chaff/ harassment, but some people feild them units with success, doing it that way would mean youcould field your kroxigors with them. Its all down to personal preference really.

Danny76
30-04-2013, 23:38
Hmm ok then.
So for characters I'll go with Slann, Scar Vet, Skink Priest.
Then I'll get some skinks (with 2 Krox) and fill that core. Have the 24 spear Saurus and swarms.
20 temple guard and 5 cav and the ancient Steg.
Should be near on 2000 there I think!