PDA

View Full Version : First WHFB Army List - 1,000

shadow_jynx
20-03-2013, 12:59
Hey all, experienced Dark Eldar and Chaos Daemons 40k player looking to start first fantasy list in WHFB. Here's my thinking for 1,000 pts:

Heroes:
Spellsinger, Lv 2 (to go with glade guard)
Branchwraith (With dryads)

Core:
19 Glade Guard
9 Dryads

Special:
3 Warhawk Riders
6 Wild Riders
3 Treekin

997 (checked force percentages, think I'm ok on this)

Basically the warhawks and treekin take one flank and wildriders take the other, warhawks are on warmachine duty if any are present. The spellsinger adds the longbow needed for 4 ranks of GG who can volleyfire from cover in woods or move up behind the main combat contingient (Dryads, with Treekin on a flank to look for the side charge).

Was wondering if the Spellsinger is worth it as I already have a Branchwraith to fill the Hero slot, she might not do much but figured I'd have her in there just for magic defense, my alternative was Waywatchers to screw with their lone characters/warmachines/deployment but thought at this points level maybe magic defense was more important?

Any feedback appreciated - cheers guys :)

selecta
20-03-2013, 13:06
I would wait until there new rule book before you build one.

iamthedarkconjuror
20-03-2013, 14:02
Except you might be waiting a long time.

I am no WE player, but based on looking at lists, I think people would suggest dropping a dryad (8 seems popular) and a wild rider for more glade guard. Then split them into two small units. Not sure about two characters, either.

DarKolia
20-03-2013, 15:10
Hi

The problem is that the domain of Athel Loren sucks ... so does the spellsinger...
The warhawks are thought as being largely overpriced and most take two eagles (+1W/model) for a slightly cheaper cost (-20pts)...
I have not tried fielding mine in this edition but it may be worth a try as they are light cavalry so you can flee and come back and have advanced move (and that maybe useful) the problem is that 3 arrows do nothing; eagles can sometimes tie something up in battle whereas hawks have swoop ... which is useless as you can now force march even within 8" of an enemy (with a test thought re-rollable if near the BSB)
Note: since the latest rules update Hawks have T4 now which makes them a bit better...
Sincerely,

darK

EDIT: if you want a mage try a lvl3+scroll and no branchwraith (I would take beast as a lore)... the wildrider aren't tought either so I have not tried them yet but it may work (especially if you go first and/or you can hide them before the 2nd turn rear charge)... you can also add a hero in the riders to toughen them up but I fear that they would become a bullet magnet in this case (I don't think that you lose light cavalry and advanced move in that case but that should be checked)

BigbyWolf
20-03-2013, 15:42
Hey all, experienced Dark Eldar and Chaos Daemons 40k player looking to start first fantasy list in WHFB. Here's my thinking for 1,000 pts:

Heroes:
Spellsinger, Lv 2 (to go with glade guard)
Branchwraith (With dryads)

Core:
19 Glade Guard
9 Dryads

Special:
3 Warhawk Riders
6 Wild Riders
3 Treekin

997 (checked force percentages, think I'm ok on this)

Basically the warhawks and treekin take one flank and wildriders take the other, warhawks are on warmachine duty if any are present. The spellsinger adds the longbow needed for 4 ranks of GG who can volleyfire from cover in woods or move up behind the main combat contingient (Dryads, with Treekin on a flank to look for the side charge).

Was wondering if the Spellsinger is worth it as I already have a Branchwraith to fill the Hero slot, she might not do much but figured I'd have her in there just for magic defense, my alternative was Waywatchers to screw with their lone characters/warmachines/deployment but thought at this points level maybe magic defense was more important?

Any feedback appreciated - cheers guys :)

Well, firstly I'd ignore this:

I would wait until there new rule book before you build one.

Looking at the list I'd agree with the sentiment that Eagles may be better for you than War Hawks. Either that or I'd drop the flying element entirely and beef up your core numbers. I like the use of the Branchwraith and Treekin in the list. Gives you an ok amount of punch in what is traditionally a pretty weak CC army.

shadow_jynx
20-03-2013, 21:10
Thanks guys, problems being can't take a Lv 3 mage as at 1,000 I can't have a Lord and Heros highest in the book is 2. I heard the argument put that hawks are better than eagles as they have more wounds and are less vulnerable to things that cause multiple wounds which is why I put them in instead.

Beefing core numbers and maybe taking 2 units of Glade Guard I can see the sense in, could drop all fliers but then need an answer for war machines camped in the enemy's backfield?

DarKolia
20-03-2013, 22:06
In 1000pts you can have a 250pt lord there is no more unit limit in 8th edition (that part of the army book is useless)