PDA

View Full Version : 40k prop discussion.

rapaxvita
20-03-2013, 14:52
Recently in the back of my brain, I have been kicking around the idea of building a space marine or a chain sword replica, to take to various events or just simply because it would be a cool prop. However I don't have the time or money to start a project like this.

I would like to hear if anyone else has thought building something and how you were planning on do it, to get some ideas out there.

Also if you have already build something I would love to see some photos and maybe even a how to, in case I have time and money later on to buil it :).

fgsfds-
20-03-2013, 15:50
I tried cosplaying this a bit more 'artistic' version of Commander Shadowsunhttp://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff346/WarbossJCB/40k/40k%20Funny/1217375259340.jpg the other year at a convention.

I made the armour plates out of plaster cast and a yoga mat. Plaster cast wasn't propably the best material for this purpose but it was cheap and easy to mold. I made the plates pretty thick and they turned out to be too heavy, but when used correctly, I think plaster cast is the best for making masks or making a base for a helmet etc.

Plaster cast takes the shape of the item it is casted on. I casted it onto myself, so the armour fit perfectly. First I made really thin bases for the armour plates (easier to cut the excess material off), then I cut pieces out of the yoga mat and glued them onto the plates to give some of the parts a thicker look. Then I applied a few more layers of plaster cast. I applied Gesso on the armour plates before painting them.
In the end I had to hurry with the costume and I also ran out of plaster cast, so the cosplay was a bit half-assed :shifty:

My friend built me a plasma riffle using a piece of pipe, a Pepsi bottle (of 2 littres), a beercase and a skrew driver (for a handle).

// Making the costume cost me some 60 euros (=77,44 USD or 51,18 GBP)