PDA

View Full Version : Kairos Fateweaver - pick or roll spells?

OllieOllieOllie
22-03-2013, 02:46
"When Kairos comes to generate his spells, his left head may choose a total of four spells from the Lores of Life, Metal, Light and Heavens...." and so on.

My friend is saying you still have to roll for the spells, you just pick what lores you want to roll on and how many times (either four times on one, or once on each etc.). For me the key word here is choose.

However, his argument has some weight: from the Ogre Kingdoms army book "Butchers and Slaughtermasters .... at least one of them must choose his spells from the Lore of the Great Maw."

Here we see the word choose again, except this time we know for sure that Slaughtermasters cannot cherry pick their spells. This has obviously led my friend to believe that Kairos must in fact roll for his spells.

Personally I'm inclined to believe he can pick spells without rolling, due to how he worked previously. In the old book it was worded exactly the same, except there was a sentence that confirmed he did not roll for spells.

What do you guys think? Is my friend being an ass?

Saldiven
22-03-2013, 03:01
It's pretty much the same wording as from the previous army book.

The exception is that the previous book had an explicit instruction to not roll for spells. Other than that explicit instruction, the rule is identical. the difference is in the first sentence. The previous army book's first sentence(s):

"Each of Kairos' heads is an accomplished Level 4 Wizard. They do not roll randomly for spells."

The current army book writes:

"Kairos Fateweaver is a Level 4 Wizard who generates spells in the following unique way."

I can see where his argument comes from. The new rule is definitely different from the previous one.

Hope they FAQ it. If he has to roll for the spells, he becomes a lot less worth it.

OllieOllieOllie
22-03-2013, 03:12
Hope they FAQ it. If he has to roll for the spells, he becomes a lot less worth it.

More like completely useless :D

Piercefierce
22-03-2013, 05:13
Yeh he becomes pretty bloody bad lol. For the points and stat line. In the daemon book kairos is the only example that says choose. The other wizards say something else not choose. Dont have the book on me but i remember checking. So ignore the ogre book and just compare it to the daemon one. Makes more sense. It's kind of a stretch to compare to other books. If it were the case there would have been no argument on the whole reign of chaos issue.

Kalandros
22-03-2013, 09:59
Can't use other army books as counter to this, different authors - GW authors rarely ever use the same structure and words for the same rule (except things like Warpflame, copy pasta is all Matt Ward is good at!)

Saldiven
22-03-2013, 20:17
Yeh he becomes pretty bloody bad lol. For the points and stat line. In the daemon book kairos is the only example that says choose. The other wizards say something else not choose. Dont have the book on me but i remember checking. So ignore the ogre book and just compare it to the daemon one. Makes more sense. It's kind of a stretch to compare to other books. If it were the case there would have been no argument on the whole reign of chaos issue.

You are correct; Kairos' rule is the only one in the book that uses the word "choose." All the other instances of wizards in the book say that they "use spells from...."

kefkah
22-03-2013, 21:19
Can't use other army books as counter to this, different authors - GW authors rarely ever use the same structure and words for the same rule (except things like Warpflame, copy pasta is all Matt Ward is good at!)

I agree with this. Im for the point that, unless there is a faq, he will work as usual. The Ogre book is a diffrent author, a diffrent thing. It dosent say that he generates his spells as usual but chooses them. For the Ogre one, that means that he must pick the lore of the maw, the ogre mages generate as usual, but mostly there is no prececedent for them.

I would say as usuall, otherwise whats the point? Yeah i pick lore of metal..roll..nice. Not buying it.

T10
23-03-2013, 13:52
It seems to me that "choose" can be taken at face value here.

-T10