PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone take Gambler's Armour or Talisman of Protection?

Vipoid
23-03-2013, 14:05
Basically the title.

I was just wondering if anyone ever uses these items, and finds the 6+ ward save from them useful?

Sexiest_hero
23-03-2013, 14:54
Yeah if I don't have enough points for anything better, usually with O&G or skaven.

Odin
23-03-2013, 15:58
Basically the title.

I was just wondering if anyone ever uses these items, and finds the 6+ ward save from them useful?

Talisman of Protection on a Tzeentch character is worthwhile. Otherwise I wouldn't generally bother.

shakedown47
23-03-2013, 16:09
^What he said. I often (almost always, actually) take one on my Tzeentch scroll caddy. Other than that, it's a filler item that gets added well at the end of list creation, not the beginning.

theunwantedbeing
23-03-2013, 17:34
Only Warriors of Chaos models with the Mark of Tzeentch get any real use from a 6+ ward item.

Really they should be priced at 5pts for all the 6+ ward items.

Jind_Singh
23-03-2013, 21:52
Well considering I've spent 20pts getting a 6++ on a giant - I've never bothered for a character for some strange reason!

On a mounted character I've considered the heavy armor just to get a better save for an orc warboss -but 6++ may as well not be there!

RanaldLoec
23-03-2013, 22:05
I'd rather take the seed of rebirth than the talisman, I never bother with wards on my lvl 2's I'd rather squeeze in an extra magic banner or item / gift on other characters.

As I don't take tzeentch characters except an occasional disc rider.

kefkah
23-03-2013, 22:21
Ive used the Gamblers armour a few times, mostly cause i like the name and concept, and fits with the scheme of my gobbo hero on wolf ( rides alone).

Cant remember it doing anything wardwise, then again, thats a 6+ for you.

Smithpod68
24-03-2013, 00:54
I take Gambler's armor on my Wood Elf Army Battle Standard bearer since he can't take a shield and go with a magic weapon. Access to heavy armor and a ward since I can't take a shield. Basically gives me the parry save,so why not?

Kayosiv
24-03-2013, 01:00
Gambler's armor is decent on some armies because it's a cheapish way to get heavy armor when light or none is the only non-magical. Usually an enchanted shield is better for this, but sometimes you just want a great weapon.

6+ ward save does seem like a total waste though.

Freman Bloodglaive
24-03-2013, 03:58
Possibly on a Witch Hunter as he can't get heavy armour otherwise, but then he can't take a shield anyway. An Opal Amulet might be more useful when you want to keep him alive for that one chance to take out a character.

He'd be better with Heroic Killing Blow though.

Most Empire characters have access to full plate though, so haven't used it myself.

snyggejygge
24-03-2013, 11:13
6+ ward was better priced in 5:th edition, back then you got heavy armour & 6++ for a mere 5 points, now I prefer using Opal Amulet if I want a cheap wardsave.

sulla
25-03-2013, 00:19
Well considering I've spent 20pts getting a 6++ on a giant - I've never bothered for a character for some strange reason!

Maths, maybe? Saving one hit in 6 is statistically pretty worthless on anything with less than 6 wounds, really. Even on the giant, where the risk comes from single hit, multi wound war machines, the costing makes little sense.

Glen_Savet
25-03-2013, 00:22
It MIGHT be worth it on an Ogre character, or perhaps a Tomb King. Something with a lot of wounds initially. On a 2 wound hero it's pretty worthless to me.

Makaber
25-03-2013, 10:11
It MIGHT be worth it on an Ogre character, or perhaps a Tomb King. Something with a lot of wounds initially. On a 2 wound hero it's pretty worthless to me.

Then again, I've always believed a 4+ is pretty overkill on a 2 Wound hero, because you don't get that much of a "mileage" out of it, because in the long run, with a 50% chance of success you pretty much double the effective number of wounds. I usually limit myself to a 5+ on Heroes for that reason.

I've used the 6+ Ward items on occasion, usually to compliment an above-average armour save or because I had 10 points to spare and no good idea on how to spend it. To paraphrase T10, you'll never see a 6+ save succeed unless you actually bring it, and it's a lot of fun when it kicks in and saves your bacon. Then again, I don't take the game that seriously.

AlphariusOmegon20
25-03-2013, 19:32
Possibly on a Witch Hunter as he can't get heavy armour otherwise, but then he can't take a shield anyway.

Wait, what? A Witch Hunter CAN take a magic shield, as he has access to magic armor, which all of the magic shields are in. If you normally wear normal armor, you can take ANY magic armor. It's the same thing as a Tzeentch Chaos Sorc getting a shield.

popisdead
25-03-2013, 20:06
[QUOTE=theunwantedbeing;6693963]Only Warriors of Chaos models with the Mark of Tzeentch get any real use from a 6+ ward item./QUOTE]

Except the Ironcurse Icon.

Malorian
25-03-2013, 20:16
The math shows that these items can be worth it if the model they are on is expensive enough, however the problem is that there are some AMAZING cheap items that win out over them.

I have used gambler's armor before, but it was for name sake rather for a tactical purpose.

mistrmoon
25-03-2013, 20:16
I generally go for seed of rebirth over a 6++ and even then only on a 3 wound character. As mentioned above, on a 2 wound character you just don't get enough mileage out of it, but 10 points nets me a spare wound every other game or so, feels worth it.

Vipoid
26-03-2013, 10:37
Thanks for the replies, all.

I'll admit, I hadn't considered Mark of Tzeench when I started this thread - I can see how that could make gambler's armour/talisman of protection decent.

Maths, maybe? Saving one hit in 6 is statistically pretty worthless on anything with less than 6 wounds, really. Even on the giant, where the risk comes from single hit, multi wound war machines, the costing makes little sense.

There's also the fact that models with 6+ wounds tend to be more expensive, and so you'll usually want to invest more into protecting them (e.g. with a 5+ or 4+ ward save).

Freman Bloodglaive
26-03-2013, 23:26
Wait, what? A Witch Hunter CAN take a magic shield, as he has access to magic armor, which all of the magic shields are in. If you normally wear normal armor, you can take ANY magic armor. It's the same thing as a Tzeentch Chaos Sorc getting a shield.

Yes, I was thinking that the heavy armour advantage was pretty pointless because he couldn't take a mundane shield. He can take a magical shield, but then he's stuck with light armour for a maximum 4+ armour save. If only he could ride a horse.

ewar
27-03-2013, 09:18
I've run gamblers armour on a scar vet on foot before for the heavy armour with a great weapon, cheap as chips and adds some valuable protection.

In a tournament once I was playing tomb kings and they were getting completely tabled - the one thing that worked out for him was getting a killing blow on my scar vet. Who saved it on the 6+ ward. Oh how I laughed (and did feel a bit bad!)