PDA

View Full Version : Chaos tau?

sepulchre
24-03-2013, 23:57
I have been wanting to do a chaos tau army for long time and the new book is a prime opportunity. I have been thinking that they were abandoned by the rest of the empire after a warp storm engulfed the planet, and they were bitter and desperate enough to worship the chaos forces that descended from the warp storm. Does this seem feasible, and I am at a loss for color scheme at the moment. C&C welcome

Maverick
25-03-2013, 00:41
Chaos Tau are like Emperor-worshiping Tyranids, they make no sense whatsoever!!!
Tau are not religious, unless you consider the creed of the Tau'va a religion (and you would be forgiven for doing so because it kinda is, but not). The Tau possess no psychic sensitivity and little to no signature in the warp. There is nothing the Chaos Gods could offer any Tau nor any medium by which they could communicate. In many ways the Tau are incorruptible and it is for this reason that the Chaos Gods hate them.

Damocles8
25-03-2013, 00:42
What if an Ethereal were possessed by a daemon?

sepulchre
25-03-2013, 00:51
They don't have to worship them, but they might be misled by tzeentch (spelling?) to believe the daemons as ethreals? The daemon ethreals then pretty much slowly turned them to chaos without them realizing? I just really want to do this, but don't want to be called for a fluff atrocity

Maverick
25-03-2013, 00:53
But they can't be. It's impossible.
Beings possessed by demons are always psykers (with the exception of khornate demons, but even then there are ritual sacrifices, ludercrous ammounts of blood-shed and possibly even cannabilism required. Even were this not the case, the Ethereals (of all Tau) have the strongest will-power and are so much at the centre of the Tau'va (if not the principle driving force behind it) that the lures/distractions offered be the Chaos Gods would have no attraction for them.

sepulchre
25-03-2013, 01:02
They wouldn't be possessing them, just tzeench would be playing a mean trick and an experiment with this to see if it works.

KR3LL
25-03-2013, 01:02
Do Tau meets Reavers(from firefly)

Ssilmath
25-03-2013, 01:09
No. Tau do not turn to Chaos, and they are highly Warp resistant. Report to Room 101 for further debriefing.

Seriously though, if you are dead set on doing Chaos Tau, why bother asking. You already know that it is extremely unlikely, and people are going to tell you so.

Voss
25-03-2013, 01:16
Chaos Tau are like Emperor-worshiping Tyranids, they make no sense whatsoever!!!
Tau are not religious, unless you consider the creed of the Tau'va a religion (and you would be forgiven for doing so because it kinda is, but not). The Tau possess no psychic sensitivity and little to no signature in the warp. There is nothing the Chaos Gods could offer any Tau nor any medium by which they could communicate. In many ways the Tau are incorruptible and it is for this reason that the Chaos Gods hate them.

I don't think there is any indication of that last bit, either. I haven't seen much background on chaos-tau interaction at all. But it is hard to tell if it is indifference, or because GW is feeling lazy and really haven't fleshed out the newer races that were added in later. There is much the same problem with necrons (the old version has some vague hints at cutting the material realm off from the Warp- but that was more to cut off the Old Ones psychic shock troops, but in the new version, it just isn't mentioned much)

Beings possessed by demons are always psykers
This flatly isn't true. Possession of psykers is easier and can be done without any groundwork. But reams of background (and the CSM possessed) are primary evidence that non-psykers can be possessed.

Cooper97
25-03-2013, 01:27
I think that the idea is good but @Ssilmath is right, Tau are highly Warp resistant. I you wanted to do this effectively and with a good background then i would suggest that you say something along the lines of 'the planet .......(you choose) was discovered by a chaos warband from the .....(You choose) chapter who found the tau to be a very prosperous and adventurous being and so installed a corruption something in their gene code turning them into chaos beings who worship the chaos god .....(You choose)' This is obviously not a revised example but you get the jist. It tells you how they could have become like this, gives you the options of choosing a dark god (narrowing down so you don't have to broad a range) and explains how they could have become tainted without showing a weak resistance to the warp.

Also for colour scheme i think you should go for a sort of dark eldar colour scheme such as a dark blue/dark green with black or leather skin.

Hope this has been helpful because i wrote this during a Physical Education lesson. hehehehehehehehehe

Maverick
25-03-2013, 01:44
I think that if your heart is set on chaos Tau, then there's no point considering cannonical fluff.
Either use their rules for a "counts as" list or make up your own fluff (however unlikely) or simply throw the fluff out the window and say "because I want to, that's why".
I personally am as equally governed by fluff as I am by aesthetics and competitive game mechanics (yes, I'm a perfectonist) and I couldn't accept such fiction for my own cadre, but it is your army so make of it what you will. Just promise me you won't make them mercenaries Tau mercenaries is the most stupid idea I have ever heard!

Ronin no Matsu
25-03-2013, 01:51
I think it could be a great idea!!!

But instead of worshipping chaos gods (for the reasons mentioned by my comrades up here), I would make them fall in the darkness of superstitions and false religions.

The worshipping of a false god would have absolutely no impact in the warp for Tau don't have any signature in the warp.

They would be highly xenophobic and hostile with strangers, even other Tau.

So, there you go : your chaos Tau are just like the Imperium of Man but even more radical.

Or you could make them ally frequently with dark eldar and chaos space marines to assault the Tau Empire as a revenge for letting them down while they were stuck in the warp strom.

Chem-Dog
25-03-2013, 02:12

The Xenos is foul because it knows not of it's own corruption....

1: Chaos Gods and their agents have plenty to offer the Tau, it might not be limitless power or immortality (or tentacles), but the Tau want things, Chaos offers shortcuts, secret knowledge and doesn't actually have to reveal it's true identity until it's too late! And even then they only do it for the luls, nothing like a nice long "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" as whomever you've just duped realises they are damned for all eternity.

2: Daemons are able to manifest themselves directly given the right impetus or they can possess more susceptible minds- cue latent psyker in a human world anexed by the Tau, real-time real-space interaction for honeyed lies to be spoken. last time I checked the Tau could both see and hear.

3: the Tau are only "incorruptible" in an idealogical sense and even then only so long as there's an Ethereal floating about the place, take him out of the picture and they go rogue, setting up their own little enclaves, then they are vulnerable to forging unwise alliances, unholy artefacts and unsound advice.

4: The Chaos Gods hate everything living. They might prefer to focus their energies on more susceptible prey, but when your essence has be bound to an arcane blade, you have to work with what you're given.

5: The Tau can be pretty naive about this kind of thing, if they first encounter a species that is thrall to the dark gods they could welcome Chaos into the Greater Good without knowing, they have already accepted Cannibals and ***** bugs, so it's not like a chaos infested species has to be particularly pretty or well behaved to join up. they also handed over a bunch of civilians to Urien Rakarth as part of a "cultural exchange" which suggests they'll do anything to secure a victory, answering the call of he who sits on the throne of brass is just one desperate action away.....

Nikolaus
25-03-2013, 02:18
If Kroot are still in the book.. could there be Khornate Kroot?

and considering none of us know how the fluff has changed in the new dex (as undoubtedly they will),

To completely deny something falling to chaos is a very Wardian thing to do.. These arent Grey Knights after all... But beings that sweep the galaxy to spread the Greater Good.

They could have easily have encountered Slaaneshi Cults? or been influenced by Tzeentch ala Soul Drinkers (w/o the transformation, and more along the lines of being used by a LoC) or even through something similar to the Destroyer Hive, been infected and now worship Papa Nurgle? or driven mad and fallen under sway of Khorne and just butcher everything it can.. in any means..

they could just be undivided... stuck on a planet for thousands of years by warpstorm.. fighting billions of daemons, countless of times across the ages.. to finally emerge from the warp devoted to the dark gods... as if they were gone only a day..

sepulchre
25-03-2013, 02:20
I've had the idea in my head as a sort of transformation a la animal farm in which the "ethreal" who may or may not be the changeling having a practical joke, inroduces four powerful entities to worship. Tau can't question an ethreal! Khorne, the god of strength, Tzeench the god of strategy, Nurgle the god of toughness, and Slaanesh the god of speed. The tau are taught that there former comrades were worshiping false idols and the ethreals were fakes. Then they can finally do their evil laugh.

Nikolaus
25-03-2013, 02:44
It wouldnt necessarily have to be a god... could easily be Ethereals of war etc..

as tau are more likely to follow one or all of these new ethereals to the grave.. than welcoming gods and chucking the GG out the window

and the idea of having a changeling-esque Ethereal would make for a nice conversion.. sadly i am pants in that department

rakarsis
25-03-2013, 02:52
They are most certainly not immune to Nurgle's biological plagues and rot. Perhaps they barter with him for their lives via communication with a Herald of Nurgle.

You could always run Tau as Dark Mechanicus instead.

Charistoph
25-03-2013, 03:15
Another possibility would be introduction by a species native to a world they come across. Being relatively naive in matters of the Warp and Chaos in general, the Aun get warped by the species, providing them access to the Warp, Psyker abilities, and Chaos. These Aun then spread it across the rest of the castes from there.

Cooper97
25-03-2013, 04:05
i like the etherials of war idea. That could really work.

Merqu
25-03-2013, 07:22
How about instead of Chaos Tau ( re: gribbly, gibbering, tentacles, skulls for the skull throne) you could have them succumb to the Mont'au. During this period of time, prior to the etherals arrival, they were nothing more than savage beasts, continuously at war between what we no know as castes...

i believe it was in the Fire Warrior game/book that the amount of effort required to posses a single tau is not worth the the effort. And it has nowt to do with beliefs, they just have so little presence in the warp, it would be like putting a house on fire out with a Super Soaker. Also if you believe in the mind control/pheromones then you can't have something pretending to be an Ethereal. Chaos Tau can't happen. And I think that's one of the best things about them :). If you absolutely need to do anti-tau have a cadre descended into their base instincts of Mont'au

Mauler
25-03-2013, 08:53
Beings possessed by demons are always psykers (with the exception of khornate demons, but even then there are ritual sacrifices, lucercrous ammounts of blood-shed and possibly even cannabilism required. Even were this not the case, the Ethereals (of all Tau) have the strongest will-power and are so much at the centre of the Tau'va (if not the principle driving force behind it) that the lures/distractions offered be the Chaos Gods would have no attraction for them.

This. I could see it getting to be almost plausible if you hashed up some far-fetched background about a Tau somehow getting experiemented on and becoming a psyker, or picking up a Gue'vesa latent psyker that is tainted but then you somehow have to work that into the command structure and even then the rest of the Tau couldn't be possessed conventionally, if at all. It's all a bit of a very long stretch!

totgeboren
25-03-2013, 14:15
Lets say a far flung Tau colony was established on a planet with some moderately advanced non-Imperium human civilisation on it, and then lets say the planet came under attack from the Imperium.
And then lets say the Tau offered to aid the humans in defending themselves, allowing the humans to retain their culture and customs, all for the prize of a non-aggression pact.

Lets say the humans employ odd and powerful psychics, and maybe even utilise daemonic possession and things like that during the war. Lets say the Tau Etheral is saved from some powerful psychic attack from a Librarian by a equally powerful human psycher, and after the war, the humans as a token of their gratitude, offer the Ethereal the greatest gift they can bestow. The means of commanding psychic abilities himself.

Lets say the Etheral accepts this great honour (his honour guards will after all gladly lay down their lives by his command, and just think about the lives he can save!), and then the humans conduct a ritual where he becomes possessed by a warp entity, giving him great powers, both psychic and otherwise.

The Tau could then become as corrupt as you want to. Maybe just a little, or as much as you want. Maybe many higher ranking Tau partake in the ritual, it becoming a sort of trial for attaining higher rank even? Such that all high ranking Tau are possessed. I mean, you can possess machines, or just pieces of metal (just look at all the chaos daemon engines and daemon weapons), and you can possess non-psychics, Possessed being a prime example.

How they manage to hide this corruption from the rest of the Tau Empire is another issue, but if Farsight can remain apart, so could a single colony far away I guess.

Gossipmeng
25-03-2013, 14:49
Your first battle with chaos tau should be against loyalist chaos daemons.... These daemons would have gone through the same trials grey knights go through before they are given their aegis armour.

Nikolaus
25-03-2013, 15:59
How about instead of Chaos Tau ( re: gribbly, gibbering, tentacles, skulls for the skull throne) you could have them succumb to the Mont'au. During this period of time, prior to the etherals arrival, they were nothing more than savage beasts, continuously at war between what we no know as castes...

i believe it was in the Fire Warrior game/book that the amount of effort required to posses a single tau is not worth the the effort. And it has nowt to do with beliefs, they just have so little presence in the warp, it would be like putting a house on fire out with a Super Soaker. Also if you believe in the mind control/pheromones then you can't have something pretending to be an Ethereal. Chaos Tau can't happen. And I think that's one of the best things about them :). If you absolutely need to do anti-tau have a cadre descended into their base instincts of Mont'au

thing is.. a Tau is hard to possess. An Ethereal isnt however.. they are more attuned to the warp.. and considering how much sway they have over the population, The Changeling could easily pretend to be one.. or the get mislaid by the dark gods.. after all they turned the primarchs to evil.. whats to say that an ethereal is stronger willed than a primarch?

Charistoph
25-03-2013, 16:04
Beings possessed by demons are always psykers (with the exception of khornate demons, but even then there are ritual sacrifices, ludercrous ammounts of blood-shed and possibly even cannabilism required. Even were this not the case, the Ethereals (of all Tau) have the strongest will-power and are so much at the centre of the Tau'va (if not the principle driving force behind it) that the lures/distractions offered be the Chaos Gods would have no attraction for them.

This. I could see it getting to be almost plausible if you hashed up some far-fetched background about a Tau somehow getting experiemented on and becoming a psyker, or picking up a Gue'vesa latent psyker that is tainted but then you somehow have to work that into the command structure and even then the rest of the Tau couldn't be possessed conventionally, if at all. It's all a bit of a very long stretch!

It's not impossible, just very improbable/unlikely. If a daemon can possess a bunch of lifeless machinery, how much more difficult to possess the body mass of an Ethereal? (of course, due to their mystery, we REALLY don't know the answer to that question). The issue with Chaos Tau is more to do with the fact that they have the psychic presence of a little girl's tricycle, and the average human is a Ferrarri. It's not that a daemon CAN'T, it's that they usually won't bother.

But if that were ever changed... Remember how much something can change when exposed to the energies of the Warp/Chaos, and that's just physical matter, of which a Tau's body consists of.

Lore Master
25-03-2013, 16:06
Not possible if you ask me.
It is stated that the Tau have little to no resonance with the Warp. They're visible sure, but they're like an everyday joe-shmoe. A deamon can't possess them because of that, and they know one thing about the Warp.
"It's a place if Evil and should be avoided", hence why they only make small jumps into it.
A chaos Tau is as possible as a Chaos Necron.

Izzuan
25-03-2013, 16:12

I approve of this idea! Do it now!

Charistoph
25-03-2013, 16:17
Not possible if you ask me.
It is stated that the Tau have little to no resonance with the Warp. They're visible sure, but they're like an everyday joe-shmoe. A deamon can't possess them because of that, and they know one thing about the Warp.
"It's a place if Evil and should be avoided", hence why they only make small jumps into it.

They don't make small jumps into the Warp, they just get close enough to almost touch it, not even nudge it. And it's not because "it should be avoided", but more because that's all they can do. With no mental acuity to work with in that area, no genetic structure to tap it, and evolving in one of the relative dead spots of the galaxy, they simply haven't been able to take advantage of Warp travel. At least, until they got out of the Gulf and found species that could and what happened to them...

As for the Chaos Necron, if a ROCK can be dedicated to Khorne...

Camman1984
25-03-2013, 16:59
I think the chaos gods just dont find the tau interesting enough to bother with. The tau immunity to chaos has always bugged me as there is no such thing as a perfectly uncorruptable person.

I wouldnt want to read about the chaos god of tau, lord grey, prince of dullness. Thats just my opinion of their current fluff and army feel btw and i hope they get a good new book.

totgeboren
25-03-2013, 17:17
Tau would probably have a hard time managing to get the attention of a warp entity, and in the same way, warp entities have a really hard time making contact with a Tau.
Daemons can whisper in the dreams of men, give visions and in rare cases talk through people during seances and such. Because the Tau have such a weak presence in the warp, they can't hear the daemons, and the daemons hardly notice them in the first place.
But the Tau make new friends all the time, and some of them do hear the whisper of the daemons, and some of them could possibly trick or force a daemon into possessing a Tau.

Really, in 40k is seems like most daemonic rituals are constructed to draw the attention of a specific sort of daemon, and then make the daemon do something for you. The Tau by themselves could probably do the ritual, but it is still not certain they would have enough of a 'voice' in the warp for the daemon to hear them. But others can help, in the same way that a human ship with a human navigator could transport Tau through the warp, even though they cannot do this feat by themselves.

Importman
25-03-2013, 17:21
If you want to do chaos tau then I say why not!
But then again you are going to get so much flak from GW nerds around you you will probably want to stay well away from them when you are bringing in your new chaos army.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Nikolaus
25-03-2013, 17:22
As for the Chaos Necron, if a ROCK can be dedicated to Khorne...

After all there WAS a Khorne Librarian :shifty:

Inquisitor Kallus
25-03-2013, 17:26
A certain crisis suit character picked up a large blade one time, and then went all close combat crazy...........

Charistoph
25-03-2013, 17:28
A certain crisis suit character picked up a large blade one time, and then went all close combat crazy...........

It was like the light of a new day!

Inquisitor Engel
25-03-2013, 17:47

Yep! A little studio birdy told me once that it was a very weak, very old Chaos artifact. It may just be residual. I forwarded the theory in Portent that it was one of the Blades of Vaul, and thus, being made for Khaine's warriors, may have had some of his essence in it and Khaine and Khorne are more than a bit interrelated.

I kind of abandoned the theory when said studio birdy told me it was intended to be a Chaos artifact, but I rather like the idea that Khorne is influencing them through an ancient Eldar artifact due to its ties to blood, war and murder. Perhaps he can only get small amounts of influence through due to it being of Eldar origin... Hmm...

The bearded one
25-03-2013, 18:23
The great thing about 40k is that it's a very expansive setting with lots of blank spaces; you can do a lot of things within the boundaries. Chaos Tau is possible. It might not happen as easily as it happens to humans, but it's possible. The manager of my local GW is doing nurgle Tau and the snippets we've seen so far are looking fantastic (in case you're interested. We've seen a hammerhead and piranha covered in dirt, faeces and nurglings, and I helped build a broadside with him; https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/881931_4104222458955_1757569493_o.jpg ) Incidentaly also in our GW's store campaign my Tau aligned themselves with the chaos faction in order to balance out the number of players a bit.

Lord Damocles
25-03-2013, 19:14
I miss Bregalad...

Nikolaus
25-03-2013, 19:44
I miss Bregalad...

What did Quickbeam do to warrant you missing him?

chaos_tau
25-03-2013, 20:28
The whole thing sounds stupid to me.....

TimLeeson
25-03-2013, 20:41
Well you can do what you want with your own models but my suggestion would be - Does it HAVE to be "Chaos"? I mean, if you want "evil/twisted" Tau, perhaps a mission on some world they get infected by some unknown alien virus (like john carpenters the thing, or Dead Space ect) mutating them into something more nightmarish? I think that would be more interesting and plausable personally, but as I said - its your models.

raygunsand rocketeers
25-03-2013, 21:43
I have a 'renegade' tau army that doesnt fight for the 'common good'....
they are, in my fluff, pirates/ raiders.

BUT.... If I were to do a 'chaos' tau..... heres how I would do it:

i would have a renegade tau force, that uses chaos cult members as their inf auxilla....

you wouldnt have the chaos advantages for the tau per say..... but the human auxilla,
already being in a cult, or just falling to chbaos influence would be a great fluffy army...

how would the tau leadership know that their human troops are falling to chaos?
at first they wouldnt, because they arent warp sensetives.....

its like the roman army allowing parts of a legion to retain faith in their local diety.

sure eventually they would come to blows between the chaos worshippers and their tau commander,
but untill then, the low impact chaos blessings and advantages might not alarm the tau,
who might just see them as hard fought victories rather than the chaos influenced events they are.....

as a theme, I think this fluff would be awesome....
just remember though, outside of your own play group, such fluff may not be well recieved....
but if you stepped to me using that army for a friendly challenge, I would happily accept because its a neat idea....

rakarsis
25-03-2013, 22:08
So if Tau are just little blue men in robot suits, what is to stop Chaos corrupted humans/psykers from "looting" the suits and utilizing them? At that point they could be managed by the Dark Mechanicum and become possessed "daemon engines".

Maverick
25-03-2013, 22:30
The closest thing the Tau have/had to a renegade is O'Shova and although his faction eschewed the rule of the Ethereals (and therefore the Empire as a whole), they still fought for the Tau'va and the Empire. More often than not culture/society can be blamed for the cultivation of the mentally unbalanced and the truely evil. Sure, there are other factors too, but society/culture plays a fairly significant role. Take the Impreium for example. Trillions of souls subjected to all kinds of horrors, both domestic and galactic. A good deal of humanity is loony, and we're talking Joker loony. Now, by contrast consider the Tau. Blind to the terrors of the warp, cultivated in the security of a just government in the unity of the Tau'va, with much of the menial (and therefore disturbing) tasks conducted by drones. Life is wholsome and good. When a Tau smiles it is because he is joyful. When a human smiles it is because he wants to eat your skin. Why do you think Eldar never smile?

Cooper97
25-03-2013, 22:32
i don't see what beef people have with this idea. I think it could be a very fun challenge. i think my idea on page 1 is pretty good. If it was refined a little bit it could be very effective. chaos chaos chaos nom nom nom:shifty:

Cooper97
25-03-2013, 22:46
i have created a poll for this discussion asking wether or not Chaos Tau are a good idea. Please vote so we can get a result for this thread.

Mr. Shine
25-03-2013, 22:55
i have created a poll for this discussion asking wether or not Chaos Tau are a good idea. Please vote so we can get a result for this thread.

Is it not obvious that the majority of people think this idea doesn't quite fit?

Assuming that Tau do have very little Warp presence and no psychic ability, the fact that Daemons can possess non-psychic humans is irrelevant; even ordinary humans have a visible and noteworthy Warp presence, hence humanity as a whole's influence on the Warp and its denizens. If Tau barely register, then there's still no real reason a Daemon should be able to possess them just because they can possess a human.

If you were to do Chaos Tau, I think they would Chaos influenced at best. They would not fall to Chaos, but could be unknowingly manipulated by Chaos.

Cooper97
25-03-2013, 23:05
Yes, but you are only limited by your imagination. If you wanted to create a rainbow coloured, fairy based chaos army, i wouldn't say no. If @sepulchre wants to create his own race, then i say go for it.

rakarsis
25-03-2013, 23:25
The closest thing the Tau have/had to a renegade is O'Shova and although his faction eschewed the rule of the Ethereals (and therefore the Empire as a whole), they still fought for the Tau'va and the Empire. More often than not culture/society can be blamed for the cultivation of the mentally unbalanced and the truely evil. Sure, there are other factors too, but society/culture plays a fairly significant role. Take the Impreium for example. Trillions of souls subjected to all kinds of horrors, both domestic and galactic. A good deal of humanity is loony, and we're talking Joker loony. Now, by contrast consider the Tau. Blind to the terrors of the warp, cultivated in the security of a just government in the unity of the Tau'va, with much of the menial (and therefore disturbing) tasks conducted by drones. Life is wholsome and good. When a Tau smiles it is because he is joyful. When a human smiles it is because he wants to eat your skin. Why do you think Eldar never smile?

If Tau life was so happy and wholesme, they wouldn't have bothered developing such awesome weapons of war. They may not be able to travel the universe quickly, but their enemies can, and their enemies are certainly knocking on the Tau's front door on a daily basis. I can't imagine Tau settlements remaining blissful hippie communes after they are ravaged by Orks, Necrons, Tyranids, Daemons, etc.

Just because they have no presence in the warp doesn't mean they are eternally relentless in their quest for the greater good. Every creature and society has a breaking point.

self biased
25-03-2013, 23:29
Is it not obvious that the majority of people think this idea doesn't quite fit?

i haven't the foggiest idea why.

if it's what you want to do OP, then by all means do it, but do it well, and thoughtfully. if you make it a totally rockin' modelling project and pour your adoration into it, it'll work. half-ass it and min/max and powergame, and it won't.

The Tau have very little presence in the warp, but they're also young and nave. they would totally go on a space hulk and bring back whatever obscene artifacts they happened to find.

do it right, make it yours, and don't let anyone tell you you're playing your game wrong.[/yabbadabba]

Bubble Ghost
26-03-2013, 00:25
Chaos is just a metaphor for character flaws, and the only thing differentiates Tau is that the piece of lore about them having negligible warp presence sets them aside from this symbolism in the setting. Just because a Tau is never going to be stabbed by an anthropomorphic manifestation of his primal vices, doesn't mean he doesn't have any.

Chaos Dwarfs in WFB are a perfectly acceptable background precedent for Chaos Tau, and a pretty decent starting point for considering their character, too, precisely because both races are not affected by Chaos in the way humans are. As with Dwarfs, Chaos would be purely an effect of a Tau's actions, not a cause of them - there would be no "enemy within" trope, because Chaos has no interest in, and only the barest awareness of Tau. And there wouldn't be much overt worshipping in the way that humans do, since neither Dwarfs nor Tau seem as prone to idolatry as humans. Instead, Chaos would be something that a Tau leader or enclave pushed to breaking point had actively sought out and intended to harness, and there are a bazillion awesome stories you could come up with for that.

So I'd have a look at Chaos Dwarfs in fantasy, rather than just transpose the tentacles-for-arms, speaking-biblical-gibberish business that Chaos Marines and Daemons have going on. Think Faustian bargains, reckless genetic engineering, slavery - it's the "meddling with forces they don't understand" trope from horror and sci-fi movies, as the Tau really don't! They have no sense for what they're messing with, so it could all blow up in their faces without the slightest warning...

Hellebore
26-03-2013, 00:42
People forget that the way chaos is portrayed currently is very humanocentric because they make up the majority of chaos' 'power' generation. The 4 gods of chaos represent the 4 base emotional 'elements' that make up sapient minds.

Everything emotes using those 4 basic building blocks, they just do so in different ways. A tau's anger is quiet and focused, a human's is berserker screaming crazy. They both possess the same emotion, they just manifest them differently.

And so, the chaos gods and chaos itself would manifest differently within other species. Even the orks are not immune. Many people think that orks would only really be susceptible to khorne and Nurgle, but that's only thinking from the perspective of Human khorne and nurgle emotional drives. Slannesh is all about excess and the ork psyche is predisposed towards excess. All there specialist units are made up of orks addicted to that kind of warfare. The entire Kult of Speed is a PERFECT breeding ground for Slanneshi worshippers, because they want nothing more than the sensation of speed to the exclusion of all else.

The point is that all aliens that emote are susceptible to chaos, it's just that they will fall to it in very different ways. So whilst tau won't fall to Khorne in the traditional human berserker esque manner, they will still fall towards it by becoming consumed by their anger and focusing their destructive impulses on their enemies. If a daemon shows up or a mutation appears, well it's all for the greater good...

EDIT: As for the idea that a tau isn't worth it, that presuposes that people only fall to chaos because the gods actively try to recruit them. Chaos doesn't need to actively generate recruits, people fall to it all by themselves, on a path of a thousand tiny choices. Embracing the darkness within is dare I say the most common way someone falls to chaos, the allure of temporal power over abstract eternal damnation and the letting go of petty social constraints don't need a push from gods to occur.

Hellebore

rakarsis
26-03-2013, 00:47
I think Bubble Ghost and Hellebore hit the nail on the head.

Tastyfish
26-03-2013, 00:47
Or even take into account their naivety, the road to hell is paved with good intentions and that's certianly not something the Tau are short of.

Whilst outright chaos worship is likely to be foreign to the Tau, them finding themselves walking down a darker and darker path as they try to right a wrong done to an ancient people, that left them trapped to suffer in another dimensions is another matter entirely. Especially if the only way to unlock the pandimensional gate is to try to recreate those ancient events as accurately as possible, so that the barrier between worlds is thinned and the two realms can merge. Some of the actions required of them may seem unforgivable, and many of the Tau's comrades may falter or lose their faith and 'humanity' entirely, but the fault of this lies squarely at the feet of those who first committed this heinous act millennia ago.

Innocent lives must be taken, but what is a mere thousand souls compared to the millions trapped in torment by this cruel fate?

Of course it's just daemons wanting to manifest and strip a world, as they have done untold times in the past, but the Tau don't know that and think they're trying to bring back a lost civilisation trapped beyond space and time (possibly in the vain hope doing so will make them friendly to the Empire and share the secrets of the warp with them). In doing so they're going to be constantly at risk of losing their faith in the greater good, but each step along the path makes it harder to turn away due to all the sacrifices (both of themselves and others) they've had to make - they may end up completely lost and broken, knowing what they're doing is wrong but unable to turn back less their life loses all meaning.

prowla
26-03-2013, 00:55
So if Tau are just little blue men in robot suits, what is to stop Chaos corrupted humans/psykers from "looting" the suits and utilizing them? At that point they could be managed by the Dark Mechanicum and become possessed "daemon engines".

I like this idea.. nothing against daemons etc. possessing dead tau and their equipment. Nurgle Zombie Tau FTW! :D

Remember to mix them with those Warriors of Chaos mutated bits.

Hellebore
26-03-2013, 01:07
The fact that daemons can and do possess inanimate objects, from tanks to swords to rocks and buildings, proves you don't need a soul at ALL to get possessed by a daemon.

Hellebore

Cooper97
26-03-2013, 01:17
yeah, what @Hellebore said

Nikolaus
26-03-2013, 01:49
I like this idea.. nothing against daemons etc. possessing dead tau and their equipment. Nurgle Zombie Tau FTW! :D

Remember to mix them with those Warriors of Chaos mutated bits.

Now i was looking for something to turn into plague zombie... Dead Tau to the rescue

JWhex
26-03-2013, 05:31
They are your models after all, but what do people that you game with think about the idea.

I like the idea of renegade/piratical Tau that have turned away from the greater good but there resistance to the warp is one of their defining features. I do not like the idea of chaos Tau at all but that is an opinion, not a reason.