PDA

View Full Version : clan pestilens - doable?

ArtificerArmour
29-03-2013, 11:45
Im just curious, is a predominantly plaguemonk army workeable for skaven?

Im not looking for tournament beating, just a fun list that isnt a push over

IcedCrow
29-03-2013, 13:16
Well i know of a couple powergamer types that run mostly clan pestilens so I would say its definitely viable as they don't typically run things that are weak.

Meatballer
29-03-2013, 13:32
Yeah, when my skaven are out and about, a pretty significant portion of them are pestilens. What is going to make your list a little sad is that you can only take one plague banner. But plaguemonks are perfectly usable infantry, and the censer bearers are a decent hammer if they survive to cc, and the furnace is a delightful contraption that brings fun and whimsy to the enemy's party. I run skaven without hellpit abominations, slave busses, gutter runner spam, or rat-darts, and I have been pretty successful. So don't htink you need netlisting cheese to win with skaven. Almost every choice in the book is workable, and you should be able to win a few games even if you refuse to take non-pestilens units. Which I do not think you were suggesting. So don't worry about it.

Orchid
29-03-2013, 13:51
Pestilence is probably the most competitive clan, except for Skyre when their technology doesn't explode in your face.

SimaoSegunda
29-03-2013, 15:53
Skrolk for Core Plague Monks FTW!

TsukeFox
29-03-2013, 16:05
It is a shame that the last edition different clan army is not available still.
For those who do not know about it, it had an "army book" based on each clan. Clan Pestilence had a Plague Lord who was a lvl3 (man I wish that character was still there). Other clan units were moved to special and rare.

In this current book, one kinda has to take a combined clan arms to be successful. Try Pestilence & Moulder or some combination. You need a source of high strength to deal with scary high level threats out there.

The other problem is that your hero slot will be filled up quickly depending on how you outfit your plague priest.

Further with no magic Missile from the lore of Plague your first magic phase will be a bust more often than not as you are not in range for most unless your opponent goes first and over extends.

Good luck.

TsukeFox
29-03-2013, 16:06
Skrolk for Core Plague Monks FTW!

Almost 500 points and no armour or ward save FTW !!
Sigh :(

Ratarsed
29-03-2013, 18:46
Yes it's doable. For at least 3 events a group of 4 of us from my club have gone to an event as under-empire disunited. We each take a Skaven army based only from units from a single major clan (and slaves). The clan Pestilens army, with Skrolk has always performed well equaling the results of the clan Skryre army and doing better than Eshin or Moulder. (We all have won more games than we have lost by the way)

Rawdogg15
29-03-2013, 18:55
You have to take Lord Skrolk to make plague monks core but, other than that, I can't see why they wouldn't make a damn fine army. I'm guessing you'd base the army around an enormous block pushing the furnace?

Of course, most tournaments don't allow special characters do they? I can't see why a gaming club wouldn't allow it though.

Captain Collius
29-03-2013, 20:14
Yes it most definitely is doable but you need something for high damage output this is why i generally sub in WLC's over plague claw catapults. Also just take units of clanrats for core and paint them up as pestilens its cheaper and better than using skrolk in your list.

ftayl5
29-03-2013, 21:18
Very doable, just as competitive as most skaven armies other than the really tournaments aimed ones.
Big plague monk horde with the plague banner and furnace, seer with plague lore, plague claws are pretty good too and the censer bearers aren't awful in a few medium sized units.

Don't ignore slaves and clanrats though, they make plenty of sense in a pestilens army and can make it much more competitive.

KarlofIndia
01-04-2013, 14:20
I'm in the market for a new army and Skaven were a very possible army for me. The folks who play them around here always field a hard hitting army. The main drawback for me was the amount of models that needed to be painted. :-)

thegrumbliestpuppy
02-04-2013, 17:17
No matter the clan you still have access to 50-wound Ld10 steadfast core units for 100 points. ​Also, grey-seers, and all your characters are unkillable (lead from behind) despite being nearly free. Skaven are boss, you'll do fine.

Dante blackfur
04-04-2013, 02:25
No matter the clan you still have access to 50-wound Ld10 steadfast core units for 100 points. ​Also, grey-seers, and all your characters are unkillable (lead from behind) despite being nearly free. Skaven are boss, you'll do fine.

Not quite true about unkillable lords you only get lead from the rear if you refuse a challenge. Most semi competitive players will avoid issuing challenge against skaven just so you don't get that effect and they can just target and kill your lords with they're troops.

thegrumbliestpuppy
04-04-2013, 17:49
True, I forgot about that. At least against chaos you're safe then, since chaos must always issue challenges (and chaos is the most common army by far that I see at tourneys).

At least the "dirt cheap" part still stands :D

Why
08-04-2013, 01:59
As long as you have 100+ slaves your army will work fine:D

boli
08-04-2013, 11:18
Plague priests are actually pretty survivable in combat (T5) and plague monks (T4) often survive longer than my storm-vermin.

With 2 hand-weapons/frenzy you can often out perform stormvermin... the only *issue* is they are not core (so you need skrol to do majority PMs) but by far the biggest problem is they are only S3.

If I was doing a plague monk army I would spend most of my time spamming "wither" rather than trying for the big spells; the plaguemonks will be a *lot* more effective then; that combined with 2 plagueclaw catapults should be pretty competitive.

Why
08-04-2013, 23:32
Could a flying plague priest be an effective option in this type of army? The frenzy test would ruin it I suppose:(

dementian
09-04-2013, 01:18
Could a flying plague priest be an effective option in this type of army? The frenzy test would ruin it I suppose:(

No. That would be free points for your enemy.

Why
09-04-2013, 03:38
So is anything that is not , "optimal" right :rolleyes:

Flying mages are awesome!

As you can see from my earlier post I have no problems finding the flaws in my own ideas.