PDA

View Full Version : Angron

malika
29-03-2013, 13:53
http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy/angron-ebook.html

This exclusive eBook collection contains three seminal tales of the World Eaters and their gene-sire, by Aaron Dembski-Bowden and Matthew Farrer. Alongside the classic 'After Desh'ea', the audio drama 'Butcher's Nails' is presented for the first time in prose rather than script format. Finally, the brand new micro-short story 'Lord of the Red Sands' gives a glimpse of the past, along with a vision of Angron's own hopes for revenge and redemption in an uncertain future.

DarkWarrior1981
29-03-2013, 18:37
Nothing really new, except this 1000 worder, it seems. And for this they expect you to invest about 6€, wow. Textbook for "milking the cow".

shadowhawk2008
30-03-2013, 01:26
Yes, because there aren't people out there genuinely interested in reprints and in prose audios. Nope, not at all.

MajorWesJanson
30-03-2013, 03:47
Yes, because there aren't people out there genuinely interested in reprints and in prose audios. Nope, not at all.

I love the prose audios, myself. No e-books though, I'll wait for them to show up in the next Dead tree anthology MMPB some 5 years from now.

shadowhawk2008
30-03-2013, 07:12
In 5 years we just might be getting to the Siege of Terra :-)

I'd say that it will be in an anthology in by the end of 2014.

malika
30-03-2013, 07:39
I'm really digging that new short story by ADB. We get some new, and very interesting, insights on Angron's character, making him a lot more convincing figure. That, and his reasons for joining Horus make more sense, especially considering he's a Primarch.

DarkWarrior1981
30-03-2013, 07:56

Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact, that they offer stories in different formates (audio, script, prose etc.), this way everyone get what he likes. But why only as part of this bundle and not seperately? I for example have both, the short story (as part of the anthology) and the CD, also I am not interested in the prose version, however, I would buy the micro short right away, but not for 6,-€. So I will also wait for the paperback version. :)

shadowhawk2008
30-03-2013, 08:27
Please don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact, that they offer stories in different formates (audio, script, prose etc.), this way everyone get what he likes. But why only as part of this bundle and not seperately? I for example have both, the short story (as part of the anthology) and the CD, also I am not interested in the prose version, however, I would buy the micro short right away, but not for 6,-€. So I will also wait for the paperback version. :)

Collections are quite popular with them it seems. A lot of their marketing decisions are based off the success of anthologies and omnibuses. This is the point of view I'm beginning to form these days, considering how many collections they have published since January 2012. And the fact that they stopped production of mass market ToL novels because the large format ToL omnibuses proved extremely popular, apparently.

And just to be clear before anybody brings this up, the prose version of Butcher's Nails is how it would have been as a short story, and not a script for an audio drama, just like Raven's Flight in Shadows of Treachery and on its own as a CD. And it is supposed to have extra content that was cut from the script, same as with Raven's Flight in Shadows of Treachery, which has extra characters and scenes.

Deepsix81
01-04-2013, 14:54
Do you have to have read Betrayer to really 'get' the new short story for this one?

malika
01-04-2013, 20:32
No you don't :)

Mortemer
02-04-2013, 10:21
Any spoilers for this new extra-short story?

malika
02-04-2013, 10:54
Angron seems to be fighting for freedom, at least that's what he believes at this moment. He isn't that interested in Horus, he just wants to stand atop of the Emperor's dying body, killing the tyrant

Anakwanar
02-04-2013, 12:21
Killing the tyrant - because he doesn't left him to die? Angron is like an angry kid. Its like a 9 year old boy logic. Same goes for his legion - yeah lets butcher our brains with some nails - our Primarch is an idiot, lets we all become that. Where is no other way to live - yeah very logical desicion. The whole legion was made from the idiots from the start.

malika
02-04-2013, 16:42
Angron never wanted to serve the Emperor, he wanted to defeat the Tyrant or die trying to do so. The Emperor teleported him away from that and basically forced him to become his lackey. He sees the Emperor for what he truly is, yet another tyrant. Horus' rebellion basically offered Angron the opportunity to truly break from that figure and openly try to defeat him.

Anakwanar
03-04-2013, 08:35
Emperor is a tyrant - lol . Okay - now seems Horus is a saint and a holy person. The main fault of the Emperor - is that he haven't killed Angron on sight.

malika
03-04-2013, 09:29
The Emperor is a tyrant, that doesn't automatically mean that Horus was a saint and a holy person. But do realize that people (even Primarchs) do things because they believe it's the right thing to do. Everybody is the good guy in their own story.

Anakwanar
03-04-2013, 12:31
Agreed. But the main point - and i hope Blue clown will make it clear - that The Emperor become the tyrant by necessity - just to save humankind - who wanted to have a tyrant like that as a everyday watcher.

malika
03-04-2013, 12:42
I think all tyrants believe they are doing what they do for the greater good. Even a figure like Mao Tse Tung believed he was saving China and its people when he had millions upon millions killed.

As a reader I think we need to remember that what certain characters believe, might not be the absolute truth. It will remain forever debatable. The Emperor believes humanity can only be saved if he becomes this temporary tyrant (if we have to trust Malcador on this). However, it is very possible that if the Emperor had not done what he did, humanity might have survived just fine. Perhaps not as the dominant power, but as a species.

Scribe of Khorne
09-04-2013, 21:17
If you dont understand that there are those who see the Emperor as a tyrant, you havent been paying attention to the series. It has nothing to do with Angron, or the so far revealed motivations of Horus.

The Last Church, the story of the Space Wolves vs the Dark Eldar, both illustrate that your free....as long as you go along with what he wants.

SpaceTiger
19-04-2013, 14:53
I think all tyrants believe they are doing what they do for the greater good. Even a figure like Mao Tse Tung believed he was saving China and its people when he had millions upon millions killed.

As a reader I think we need to remember that what certain characters believe, might not be the absolute truth. It will remain forever debatable. The Emperor believes humanity can only be saved if he becomes this temporary tyrant (if we have to trust Malcador on this). However, it is very possible that if the Emperor had not done what he did, humanity might have survived just fine. Perhaps not as the dominant power, but as a species.I don't know about that. IIRC, FW's HH Betrayal and the Cabal from the HH books say otherwise. Who knows *shrug* If humanity didn't go extinct, humanity may have at the end become nothing more than a slave race or just small human worlds fighting each other and stuff like that.

Though I don't really get what so big a deal if the Emp acts like a Tyrant? The Age of Strife brought about the reign of tyrants or just plain anarchy for a lot of human worlds.

Istlod
19-04-2013, 15:58
If you dont understand that there are those who see the Emperor as a tyrant, you havent been paying attention to the series. It has nothing to do with Angron, or the so far revealed motivations of Horus.

The Last Church, the story of the Space Wolves vs the Dark Eldar, both illustrate that your free....as long as you go along with what he wants.

The Last Church also proves that he's a hypocrite.

SpaceTiger
19-04-2013, 16:13
The Last Church also proves that he's a hypocrite.
And?

Nearly everyone in 40k is either a liar or hyporite. Hell if the fluff about the EMp being born in 8000 BC is still fact and unchanged, then the Emp had to do a lot of ********ting and lies and stuff like that. Its to be expected.

malika
19-04-2013, 16:25
I don't know about that. IIRC, FW's HH Betrayal and the Cabal from the HH books say otherwise. Who knows *shrug* If humanity didn't go extinct, humanity may have at the end become nothing more than a slave race or just small human worlds fighting each other and stuff like that.

Though I don't really get what so big a deal if the Emp acts like a Tyrant? The Age of Strife brought about the reign of tyrants or just plain anarchy for a lot of human worlds.
The "say otherwise" examples you are mentioned are all 'in-character', not an omnipotent viewer or outside viewer, it are characters in the 40k universe, who aren't the most reliable of sources. We don't know what might have happened had the Emperor not shown up, it's too big of a grey area. They might have gone extinct, they might have flourished even more. We will never know because it didn't happen.

The big deal for some characters in the 40k universe regarding the Emperor acting like a Tyrant is that they've fought tyranny only to end up serving another tyrant again, that's Angron's main beef with the Emperor at least. Just because the Age of Strife was a bad age to live in, doesn't automatically make the Imperial alternative that much better. What if the Diasporex (sp?) or Interex never encountered the Imperium? Wouldn't they have been better off?

SpaceTiger
19-04-2013, 16:35
The "say otherwise" examples you are mentioned are all 'in-character', not an omnipotent viewer or outside viewer, it are characters in the 40k universe, who aren't the most reliable of sources.Its why I said this "who knows" followed by a shrug.

We don't know what might have happened had the Emperor not shown up, it's too big of a grey area.I personally see the technical human worlds fighting each other and then getting torn to pieces by aliens and thats if the Cabal doesn't try and wipe us out.

They might have gone extinct, they might have flourished even more. We will never know because it didn't happen.The bolded I doubt very much.

The big deal for some characters in the 40k universe regarding the Emperor acting like a Tyrant is that they've fought tyranny only to end up serving another tyrant again, that's Angron's main beef with the Emperor at least.Angron main beef was always about his friends dieing and not dying with them. Everything else is just a side beef. The Other traitor primarchs fell cause Chaos manipulation, being psychotic or just religion about Chaos and daddy issues.

Just because the Age of Strife was a bad age to live in, doesn't automatically make the Imperial alternative that much better.Age of Strife was a terrible time actually and makes the Imperial rising period seem tame to, to me anyway.

What if the Diasporex (sp?) or Interex never encountered the Imperium? Wouldn't they have been better off?I'll grant you the Disaporex but the Interex died cause of Chaos manipulation IIRC.