PDA

View Full Version : Corax: Soulforge

Nineswords
29-03-2013, 16:47
http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/corax-soulforge-cat/corax-soulforge.html

New HH Novella available from 5th April for a week. I think this is an acceptable workaround compared to the Gold/Silver editions that preceded it in ADB's Aurelian, I know numerous people lost out because of a slow internet connection.

Soul Hunter
29-03-2013, 17:00
Thank you very much for posting this. Saw it just in time to cancel some other orders and free up the money for this. Otherwise I'd have to get it off ebay for an exorbitant price to maintain my complete collection of BL limiteds.

SH

malika
29-03-2013, 18:03
Perhaps related to the Forge of Souls?

DarkWarrior1981
29-03-2013, 18:34
The cover is nice, also that you have one week to order, no hurry then. Good move.

Tymell
29-03-2013, 18:50
Awesome, I've been hoping for a Raven Guard short story/novella, looking at them operating as a kind of Space Marine Black Ops force. Here's hoping this is just the thing :)

Soul Hunter
29-03-2013, 19:56
Awesome, I've been hoping for a Raven Guard short story/novella, looking at them operating as a kind of Space Marine Black Ops force. Here's hoping this is just the thing :)
The Unkindness of Ravens by George Mann was exactly that. Ninja Raven Guard, the kind that the Codexes talk about so much but we almost never see. And, imo, they were as badass as i'd hoped they'd be. :D

SH

Sqallum
29-03-2013, 22:16
Really nice to see he now has both talons and a whip. Awesome, I am going to buy this, since its Corax and the RG.

shadowhawk2008
30-03-2013, 01:26
The cover is nice, also that you have one week to order, no hurry then. Good move.

This is how Brotherhood of the Storm and Mephiston were as well.

HereticHammer01
30-03-2013, 10:48
I'm not a fan of the number of premium novellas BL are doing, but I'll stay positive. Great cover artwork, and like brotherhood of the storm I think selling it to anyone for a week is far better than the limited quantity method.

Grimstonefire
01-04-2013, 21:33
Will this be the same price as brotherhood of the storm? How much was that again?

Sqallum
02-04-2013, 14:06
30 :( Still, it is limited edition.

Anakwanar
03-04-2013, 08:30
I want a limited edition ebook. I will buy it even for this price. Also the plot would be - Corax revenge on the Order of the Dragon for their actions on Kiavarh

HereticHammer01
03-04-2013, 10:18
30 :( Still, it is limited edition.
Well, limited in the sense it won't be available again: but it is available to anyone for the week or so its on sale. Limited time is an important distinction to make so as not to confuse people I think.

laudarkul
08-04-2013, 14:48
Order it today...This one week period of time to order it it's so perfect. Too bad that other were not in this order format...

Bigglesworth
08-04-2013, 17:04
Ordered... I doubt I'll get any more heresy RG for a long time otherwise, not including the FW book they are in eventually though...

8 week waiting time for it to printed and shipped, for the price I hope I get to see updates of every stitch by those exploited workers... :D

Andystarscream
13-04-2013, 15:54
I ordered it but im unhappy with the price and anxous as the limited edition stories are either very good or shockingly dull

Anakwanar
17-04-2013, 08:40
'I ordered it but im unhappy with the price and anxous as the limited edition stories are either very good or shockingly dull '
- my thoughts exactly
This one could be good - but i dont think it would be very relevant to the main HH plot

shadowhawk2008
17-04-2013, 09:25
The main HH plot being the rebellion right?

Bigglesworth
17-04-2013, 21:38
The main HH plot being the rebellion right?

What he means is, will it be a new place we have never heard of before thats suddenly important to the war effort, and neutralised by the end of the book meaning the status quo has not changed, Traitors still pillaging, horus trying to see if that fable about never reaching a destination if you divide the journey into infinite steps is true or not ect... :)

Depends on what you want a HH to be, a smooth journey toward a final conclusion, or a place to tell interesting stories about things not fleshed out before.

Though I like the raven guard and any story about them is good in my book as long as its not terribly written. Hence why its a limited edition probably, not a lot to do with people getting closer to terra, but good for RG fans.

Nineswords
18-04-2013, 09:40
Any word on when we'll be receiving copies?

shadowhawk2008
18-04-2013, 12:32
When they are printed and ready. Should be about 2 months.

DarkWarrior1981
18-04-2013, 14:36
Mephiston, i.e. the previous limited time novella, took about 9 weeks from the closing of the order process until I had it at home (I live in Germany).

Nineswords
19-04-2013, 10:25
When they are printed and ready. Should be about 2 months.

Great, thanks. For what it's worth, it's quite a good strategy for BL taking in a number of known pre-orders before printing on demand. I'd suspect they'd round up to the nearest 50 or 100 and then make some 'extra' copies available.

shadowhawk2008
19-04-2013, 12:29
Great, thanks. For what it's worth, it's quite a good strategy for BL taking in a number of known pre-orders before printing on demand. I'd suspect they'd round up to the nearest 50 or 100 and then make some 'extra' copies available.

We can but hope! Doubtful though.

Dean5150
01-05-2013, 11:35
Anyone have an idea when this comes out as an Ebook. i have limited space at home so have gone the electronic route?

Bigglesworth
01-05-2013, 12:06
Anyone have an idea when this comes out as an Ebook. i have limited space at home so have gone the electronic route?

Limited edition books usually take 3 or 4 years to come out as reprints, so don't hold your breath.

shadowhawk2008
01-05-2013, 12:42
Limited edition books usually take 3 or 4 years to come out as reprints, so don't hold your breath.

It was 2 years for Iron Warrior and roughly the same time for The Bloody Handed.

Curiously, it turns out that Daenyathos will not be in the second Soul Drinkers omnibus.

reds8n
01-05-2013, 14:14
Really ?

... It is kinda key to the whole arc no ?

Email from BL last week saying that this Corax book is off to the printers.

Bigglesworth
01-05-2013, 14:31
Really ?

Yeah I got it too, though I hope their "quiz" questions get a big more challenging :)

I also wonder what promised "surprises" we will get in the mean time, I am not getting overexcited about it, but an advanced look at some of the books artwork would make sense.

shadowhawk2008
01-05-2013, 16:25
Really ?

Laurie confirmed it on FB a few days ago. No explanation was offered. Pretty massive oversight, no matter what the reason is. And if they go about releasing it as a standalone hardback book, I'm going to be shaking my head at the sheer arrogance of the decision.

reds8n
02-05-2013, 07:36
... I dunno what's sadder.

This decision or the fact that they can make a decision like this and it comes as no surprise. :(

DarkChaplain
02-05-2013, 13:00
Sadly, there is another two things that'd hint towards a separate re-release of Daenyathos

First: Didn't they plan to release Promethean Sun as a stand-alone novella, like Yarrick, Flesh of Cretacia and Shadowsun, instead of collecting it in another Horus Heresy anthology? The novella format obviously "works" for them, to the point where they double or even triple dip former limited edition releases.

Second: The blog post they put up to present the new Soul Drinkers artwork showed THREE artworks, two of which are used for the two omnibus volumes:
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/Art_and_Soul.html
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/soul-drinkers-redemption.html
http://www.blacklibrary.com/warhammer-40000/soul-drinkers-annihilation.html
The third is still unused, and it would surprise me if they would not put it to use fairly soon...

shadowhawk2008
02-05-2013, 13:22
Yes, Promethean Sun is getting a regular hardback release like Flesh of Cretacia, Dark Vengeance, and Yarrick.

Galvatron1701
30-05-2013, 11:18
Received my copy today, quite unexpectedly too! Its number 1529 of 4000.

Bigglesworth
30-05-2013, 13:50
Got my copy too, as Galvatron said, with very little fanfare. Looks very nice, though seems a bit strange it did not come in plastic wrap like others I've seen, though as I want to read it not flog it on ebay it does not really matter...

Will give my thoughts at some point

DarkWarrior1981
30-05-2013, 14:25
We recieved our two copies yesterday as well. The short story on the dust cover is a very nice idea. The book looks nice as always and the look is similar to the 40k RG novella. Ours are in the numbered in the upper 3000 region. :)

AdamR
30-05-2013, 17:09
Got mine too - very impressed!
Wish they'd put the colour plates in the middle at the end of a chapter though!

passwordman
30-05-2013, 17:17
Got miine today, It's 985. Also found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corax-Soulforge-brand-new-limited-time-black-library-Horus-Heresy-novel-/140987057728?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item20d37bc640 seems a bit pricey:eek::D.

Passwordman

Bigglesworth
30-05-2013, 17:29
Got miine today, It's 985. Also found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corax-Soulforge-brand-new-limited-time-black-library-Horus-Heresy-novel-/140987057728?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item20d37bc640 seems a bit pricey:eek::D.

Passwordman

You don't even get free postage!

shadowhawk2008
30-05-2013, 18:10
That is entirely too hilarious....

[SD]Daenyathos
30-05-2013, 19:42
That is entirely too hilarious....
Soo your not going to bid on it ? ;)

Anakwanar
30-05-2013, 20:00
Spoilers guys, pretty please - give us full spoilers

shadowhawk2008
30-05-2013, 20:07
Daenyathos;6790497']Soo your not going to bid on it ? ;)

Not even if I had a hundred times that amount to spare :-)

Bigglesworth
30-05-2013, 20:30
Spoilers guys, pretty please - give us full spoilers

Um, not finished yet, but there is some interesting RG equipment and and a brief suggestion that some of their stealth capabilities are down to more than just training and technology... Otherwise I doubt there's going to be any final page bombshells for the wider HH, but its enjoyable so far.

Anakwanar
30-05-2013, 20:34
Do we have Raven guard vs Space Marines warfare (WB cruiser doesnt count) - or is it Corax vs dark mechanicum only? Thanks for the answer

Bigglesworth
30-05-2013, 20:45
Do we have Raven guard vs Space Marines warfare (WB cruiser doesnt count) - or is it Corax vs dark mechanicum only? Thanks for the answer

Mainly Corax and the RG vs the mechanicum (and dark mechanicum) forces, though there will probably be a few WB by the end, its mostly the cog boys that take a beating.

Anakwanar
30-05-2013, 20:54
Thank you - the main question - does the book costs its price?

Bigglesworth
30-05-2013, 21:01
Thank you - the main question - does the book costs its price?

You mean is it worth it? For the average HH fan, probably not, but for RG fans, probably yes. Its hard to quantify its value outside its personal value to me.

malika
31-05-2013, 09:30
Are there any new ships mentioned?

AdamR
31-05-2013, 09:45
No new ships but some new vehicles. The Raven Guard make use of Whispercutters (which seem like stealth DE Vipers!) and Shadowhawks (which I get the impression are stealth Thunderhawks).

malika
31-05-2013, 12:47
Oh boy... Stealth Marines here we come!

AdamR
31-05-2013, 14:53
They have a new elite stealth unit too - I think they were called the Shadow Hunters/ Mor Daethyr (sp - I dont have my book with me, its in the short on the inside of the dust jacket). Basically they're Marines who have inherited Corax's invisibility ability. Much like Sharrowkyn in Angel Exterminatus, though not as uberbadass in hth.

Bigglesworth
31-05-2013, 15:26
I got the impression whispcutters were like 10 man hang gliders with small anti grav motors so they can stay aloft indefinitely, AFAIKT the marines stood on running boards suspended under the middle of the craft. The Craft was also deployed from a stormbird from high altitude. The vehicle is piloted by a machine spirit and can act as a recon UAV after the (Assault Marines) have left the vehicle, though it seems to be very expendable and used only for one way trips. The exact size and carrying capacity of a Shadowhawk is unclear, though I imagine somewhere in between Stormeagle and Thunderhawk.

Corax ends up fighting a daemon prince at the end of the story, which I thought was fairly well handled, as they both seemed well matched, with corax at a slight disadvantage since he had no idea how to kill a chaos entity.

Sqallum
31-05-2013, 19:22
I got the impression whispcutters were like 10 man hang gliders with small anti grav motors so they can stay aloft indefinitely, AFAIKT the marines stood on running boards suspended under the middle of the craft. The Craft was also deployed from a stormbird from high altitude. The vehicle is piloted by a machine spirit and can act as a recon UAV after the (Assault Marines) have left the vehicle, though it seems to be very expendable and used only for one way trips. The exact size and carrying capacity of a Shadowhawk is unclear, though I imagine somewhere in between Stormeagle and Thunderhawk.

Corax ends up fighting a daemon prince at the end of the story, which I thought was fairly well handled, as they both seemed well matched, with corax at a slight disadvantage since he had no idea how to kill a chaos entity.

Thanks. What is the Daemon Prince like? Do the RG smash the Dark Mechanicum?

Bigglesworth
31-05-2013, 19:42
Thanks. What is the Daemon Prince like? Do the RG smash the Dark Mechanicum?

The daemon prince is a World Bearers captain who does the classic "you've arrived just in time to see me turn" thing, and the most significant thing is he makes Corax consider the truth behind his own creation, and whether the emperor is telling him the whole truth about chaos. Basicly the forge world is an acidic ocean planet with 5 or 6 grav floating forge cities, the RG capture one and then use it to attack the capital, (what corax calls the largest boarding action in history) most of the Mechanicum is just misguided and misled rather then full out dark at this point, though there are some daemon engines in the capital city. The RG force is only about 300+ guys, as corax diverted them from a larger deployment elsewhere. and they have help from some of the loyal forces of the Mech. The cover art shows the boarding action. At the end the planet is brought back under control, and there is some character development for Corax and Captian Agapito

Sqallum
31-05-2013, 19:48
What is the strength of the RG at this point? Is Corax less flat than in Deliverance Lost? Thank you.

Bigglesworth
31-05-2013, 20:43
What is the strength of the RG at this point? Is Corax less flat than in Deliverance Lost? Thank you.

About the same strength as DL, though they are more effectively organised now. (The smaller strike force is mostly just a plot device to increase tension as far as I am concerned) as for Coraxs character I can't really say, the book felt more like it was about the Raven Guard rather than just a story they were participating in, you get more of a sense of the character of the legion that was missing in DL