PDA

View Full Version : New 40k player looking at buying a battleforce need some help

illbread
29-03-2013, 18:14
Hi guys i've decided I would like to start playing few games of 40k, after being on the hobby side of things for a while I thought i'd buy a battleforce i'm aiming for 750pts(roughly) games so I guess my question is what is best 40k army battle force? factoring in like units your actually gonna use, points cost diversity and just general solidness of the units in there. thanks!

Scammel
29-03-2013, 18:19
I think you'll be better off making a decision based on which army you like the look of as opposed to which BF is best. Some are certainly better than others, but it's perhaps better to buy one of the more 'meh' ones than to have to use an army you don't much like.

Aluinn
29-03-2013, 18:26
My advice is to always select an army with your priorities in this order:

1. Which models you like best;
2. Which fluff you like best (this at first may seem silly, but the importance will become more apparent when you start playing games, because if you can't find your army "cool" or empathize with what they fight for somewhat background-wise, the games will be much less inspiring); and
3. Which (broadly) suits your style of play best, e.g. are you defensive or aggressive, do you prefer shooting or charging into melee combat, etc.

If you end up liking the game then the battleforce is just a start. If that's the case, you'll probably be spending a lot of time with your models, painting and the like, and if you don't really like them it will be nearly impossible to find the inspiration for that, and also to get the most possible enjoyment out of playing the game. (This isn't true for everyone and I am generalizing a bit--some players are just all about the numbers and competition and couldn't care less about the models or fluff--but in my experience it's true for the great majority.)

Gossipmeng
29-03-2013, 18:33
Keep in mind, most battleforces don't even pass the 500 point mark - so for 750 points you will need an HQ, extra troop and maybe a heavy support choice or 2 to get you up there.

Inquisitor Engel
29-03-2013, 18:38
I believe the current Tau one is the only one than can build a fully functional army with only the box. The others all need at least a blister for an HQ. It's also a pretty decent value for money.

Horus38
29-03-2013, 18:53
I believe the current Tau one is the only one than can build a fully functional army with only the box. The others all need at least a blister for an HQ. It's also a pretty decent value for money.

^ This. Although you'll want to factor in which army you like the feel of the best, and not just what has the best army box dollar value.

illbread
29-03-2013, 19:25
Thanks for the replies guys! Will have to do some fluff searches here,

Worship
29-03-2013, 19:27
As most are saying, base your decision on the looks and feel of the army. About 80% of the hobby is modeling, painting, etc. not counting all the time you're looking at them on the table top.

Go for what you think looks the coolest

jason_sation
29-03-2013, 23:32
I would advise against simply going by points, but if you go that route, perhaps Dark Vengence is your best bet? You get rules, models, gaming accessories, and as many or more points PER ARMY (two in the box), all for the approximate cost of a Battle force.

You can field a legal army with the IG box set (run the two squads of Guardsmen as Vets, and it comes with an HQ. Probably around 500 points if you include the Fast Attack Sentinel included in the box too.

PrehistoricUFO
30-03-2013, 00:32
Select your army based on fluff and looks, don't choose it based on points. You will likely regret it later on if you choose an army that you don't like story-wise or modeling/painting doesn't turn you on.

Latro_
30-03-2013, 00:45
guard and orks work pretty well at the 750pt mark.

Aluinn
30-03-2013, 10:27

It hardly matters considering that the difference between a Space Marine Chapter Master with power sword and plasma pistol and a Sergeant with the same, for example, is no more than experience and rank and bling. As such, you can convert Marine characters from Tac Squad and Assault Squad parts to your heart's content.

No one, in fact, should really feel that they have to buy HQ models in metal or Finecast, because I'm not talking about complex or difficult conversions here by any standard--in fact, they hardly count as conversions at all, most of the time. A spiffier paint job and base will make the model stand out as the obvious HQ.

(And this applies to the Tau battleforce: That's not an HQ model; it's just a Crisis Suit. It's no more an official HQ than the aforementioned Marine "Sergeants".)

Tarax
30-03-2013, 10:37
If you are looking for an 'Army in a Box' type of thing, then IG and Tau and probably most Marine armies come with an HQ and then required 2 Troop choices. Though, most will need a little conversion or other work to make the HQ.
Most others only need a single HQ and you have a legal army. Necron being a favorite of mine.

But most important, like said above, choose an army you like. Not based on what's in a Battleforce.