PDA

View Full Version : 2400pt Lizardmen (hopefully competetive)

Moss
31-03-2013, 06:02
I may have a game coming up this coming weekend, with HE, WE, or VC as my possible opponents. We almost always play 1000pt or 2000pt games but have decided to give 2400pts a try (apparently, 2400 is the new 2000). I really have no idea how to spend that last 400pts, so maybe the internet can look at my list and tell me what it thinks about what I've done.

Slann
Mystery, Rumination, Cogitation, Cupped Hands, BSB, general, Lore of Light
I know he's expensive, but every one of these are arguably the best items/abilities in the game. I find it hard to drop them.

Scar-Vet
Dragonhelm, Dawn Stone, VotFF, Cold One, GW
To support whatever needs supporting. Also good for ethereal hunting.

Skink Priest on EotG
Dispel Scroll
This is the only significant difference between my 2k army and this one. I'm considering dropping it in favor of another unit of Saurus. My biggest argument against more Saurus is that it will be tough to keep all three combat block buffed with Light Magic. Maybe 8 Kroxigor instead? This 400pts is the big question for me.

26 Temple Guard
Full Command
I love my TG. I've only played my Slann without the TG twice, and they were very, very stressful games. There's something comforting about having my immovable killing machine Saurus surrounding my most important model.

30 Saurus
full command, spears
I opted for spears instead of HW&S because I have no intention of using these guys to fight anything but skeletons or spearmen. Math-wise, spears are better against low S/low AS infantry.

2x 8 Chameleons

3x 10 Skink Skirmishers

2x 1 Salamander
extra handlers
Skinks and chameleons are there to shoot, but mostly for redirecting. I don't plan on fighting things like SMs, GG, or WLs. I plan on sticking all of these guys between those units and my saurus.
I'm open to most suggestions, and like I said, I don't know what to do with that last 400pts. Thoughts?

-Totenkopf-
31-03-2013, 06:29
List is very close to what i role with, however, I would drop lore of light and go for shadow or life.. especially vs those opponents..

Things to add with the points:

A second cowboy vet with LA, Hal, VotFF (drop it from the other one and give him +2A sword)
1 or 2 more salimanders. (I generally don't run more than 3 but two units of two is solid)
A second combat block or add at least 10 to the saurus unit (allows max attacks if you horde)
A unit of CoK can deal with a lot and give opponents grief for only 175pts

I like the krox Idea too. It definitely adds some punch

The army can deal with everything your possible opponents can throw at you except for a blender Lord..

roundarmor
31-03-2013, 06:42
I have found people shy away from TG like the plauge. I run 25 SW on the right and 25 on the left of TG as anvil units. I also always run an engine for the jar jar bubble when you come up against cannon fire from Empire, dwarves and now Chaos hell cannon. when you get charged you can use the engines other abilities which have proven usefull to me in past games. Also lets not forget about LOS for the slan to cast from as well as an extra channel dice. Lite is good but heavens is way better in my oppinion in that you can ignore miscast on a 2 plus as well as resurect fallen models. When it comes to skirmishers no one like to see the chameleons, BS 5 on the champ your hitting on twos so I run three groups of five on the chameleons as war machine killers plus they are scouts and thats just sexy. spears on your SW is a personal call I have heard the arguments both ways but remember spears are not free and skink skirmishers with blow pipes are cheap to help guard troops close to home. tool up a scar vet and keep him close in the back of you SW and TG, if it looks like your going get charged have him join that unit or if its to late flank with him.

Moss
31-03-2013, 07:52
Thanks for the feedback!

Just so we're clear, that list is the full 2400. My "extra" 400 points are the EotG. If I added your suggestions (which, by the way are a lot of what I've considered), I'd have to drop the engine. Is it worth it? Considering my opponents, the engine doesn't seem like too big a liability (it's not in danger of cannons or anything).

zielonkak
31-03-2013, 16:16
I actually like your original list. It's strong overall

-Totenkopf-
31-03-2013, 20:34
I do like the EoTG.. It is a solid list.. It is able to kill the same types of things as the other options and can shut down one more spell.. It can only be in one place at one time though. I think it will fit in nicely..

If these are regular opponents you can think about the kinds of things they can add with their 400 points.. for VC it can be quite a bit. Also, having the stegadon in the list and the cowboy scar vet, you should consider Life as the lore of choice. On that note, if you were wanting to free up a few points for a few extra anything, you could drop loremaster if you are switching to life. It isn't as important to have each spell. For 15 points you could have 5 spells as opposed to 50pts for 6. It also makes cupped hands a bit overkill.. That would free up enough points to add another rank to your saurus, another salimander , another unit of skinks or a unit of terradons.

Moss
31-03-2013, 23:02
Thanks guys, this has been really helpful. If anything, I feel much better about the Engine. I think I'm going to go with the Lore of Life. I almost always take Light, but maybe with the stegadon, Life will work better. As suggested, I can drop Loremaster and Cupped Hands, saving me about 100pts. Since I'll be losing out on two magic missiles, I'm thinking about taking the Ruby Ring to help deal with spirit hosts and small units of WE skirmishers. The rest of the extra points are going toward another salamander.

Also, I like the idea of 3 units of 5 chameleons. Keeping them cheaper makes it easier to deal with the loss when they inevitably die. Plus, getting terrorgheisted can kill only 5 at a time, instead of the full 8.

Here is what it looks like now. I'll probably go back and forth between the two lists before we play, so any more criticism/positive reinforcement is appreciated!

Slann
Rumination, Cogitation, Ruby Ring of Ruin BSB, general, Lore of Life

Scar-Vet
Dragonhelm, Dawn Stone, VotFF, Cold One, GW

Skink Priest on EotG
Dispel Scroll

26 Temple Guard
Full Command

30 Saurus
full command, spears

3x 5 Chameleons

3x 10 Skink Skirmishers

1 Salamander
extra handler

2 Salamanders
2 extra handlers

-Totenkopf-
31-03-2013, 23:49
I think it's looking really solid.. I lke the changes to the slaan.. If you are not used to life, really read over the spells and get to know them.. It's not as cheap casting wise as light but it has tools for multiple situations. I used light almost exclusively for a long time.. I couldn't figure out how lizardmen players got along without it. After a few games using shadow or life or both together in really big games, I cant really justify going back.. Especially when you have smaller, or multi-wound specialized units..
In my last game, My buddy wasted an entire magic and shooting phase killing my cold ones down to a model for fear of a nasty flank charge.. When they all reappeared on my next turn it took the wind right out of his sails.. Having two salimanders re-animate to smoke a unit out of a watchtower for the win is great too..

Look forward to hearing how you do.

** I didn't add up the points but if you have a few, plaque of tepok on the slaan will help a fair bit..

roundarmor
01-04-2013, 05:51
Looks solid man I can't wait to hear how your game goes. I took down a terror ghst this weekend with my sallys thanks to poison. he only has a 6 plus and sallys deal out lots of sixes, so just sit back and offer up your opponent a fat peice of hate cake.