PDA

View Full Version : Dante - Chapter Master of the Blood Angels.

musical
02-04-2013, 10:16
Ok first off I have to say I am not a fan of the current 5th Codex.

My question is regarding Dante's longevity and origin, which I believe was originally intended to be vague and left open to interpretation.

Is it possible that Dante has been around before or during the Heresy and hence his geneseed is taken before Sanguinus' death.

That would explain his immunity from Black Rage.

Iverald
02-04-2013, 10:37
Um, you missed one "0" there. Dante is 1100 years old, the heresy happened 10.000 years before current events.

musical
02-04-2013, 11:20
No he has been Chapter master for 1,100 years, he was around longer than that.

Also the passage of time in the warp is different from reality and no doubt he have travelled a lot in space, his could have been around for a few thousand years and his subjective age can be a lot less.

Denny
02-04-2013, 11:47
If he'd been around during the Heresy I suspect it would be included in his bio.

Is he immune to the Black Rage? I don't think I've ever seen mention of that.
He hasn't contracted it . . . yet, but that is not the same as 'immune'.
(I haven’t developed cancer, but that doesn’t mean I’m immune to it. Even If I live to 100 without contracting cancer I’m not immune, just luckier than most . . .)

Camman1984
02-04-2013, 12:53
Maybe its just one of his gifts. Blood angel characters seem quite keen on demonhood after all.

jareddm3
02-04-2013, 13:57
Most marines go from recruit to chapter master in about 500 years. There's no way that Dante is from the heresy without having something wirrten about it. At most he's 2,000 years old, which is still obscenely long-lived for a space marine.

gamble
02-04-2013, 17:14
Dante doesn't actually let on how old he is, the years given are other peoples guesses.

Lord Damocles
02-04-2013, 17:16
'For eleven hundred years I have fought and I have seen the darkness in our galaxy'
-Dante at the outset of the Alchonis Campaign
(Codex: Blood Angels (3rd ed.), pg. 18 (also 4th ed., pg.6))

'Commander Dante / has ruled over the Blood Angels for over a thousand years'
(Codex: Blood Angels (4th ed.), pg.6)

We know that the Blood Angels were all but wiped out during the Secoris disaster, which occured in 996.M40 (Space Hulk (3rd ed.) Mission Book, pg.3), uder the command of Cammander Sangallo.

Dante could easily have assumed command of the Chapter following Secoris, at age ~100.

This also works perfectly alongside the note from the 6th ed. Codex: Blood Angels that Lysander can't remember Dante not being Chapter Master of the Blood Angels - Lysander was lost in the warp in the 'latter years on M40', reappearing 'nearly a thousand years later' (Codex: Space Marines (5th ed.), pg.91) in 964.M41 (Codex: Space Marines (5th ed.), pg.49) (so he must have been lost between 964 and 999.M40).

childsoldier
03-04-2013, 02:12
'For eleven hundred years I have fought and I have seen the darkness in our galaxy'
-Dante at the outset of the Alchonis Campaign
(Codex: Blood Angels (3rd ed.), pg. 18 (also 4th ed., pg.6))

'Commander Dante / has ruled over the Blood Angels for over a thousand years'
(Codex: Blood Angels (4th ed.), pg.6)

We know that the Blood Angels were all but wiped out during the Secoris disaster, which occured in 996.M40 (Space Hulk (3rd ed.) Mission Book, pg.3), uder the command of Cammander Sangallo.

Dante could easily have assumed command of the Chapter following Secoris, at age ~100.

This also works perfectly alongside the note from the 6th ed. Codex: Blood Angels that Lysander can't remember Dante not being Chapter Master of the Blood Angels - Lysander was lost in the warp in the 'latter years on M40', reappearing 'nearly a thousand years later' (Codex: Space Marines (5th ed.), pg.91) in 964.M41 (Codex: Space Marines (5th ed.), pg.49) (so he must have been lost between 964 and 999.M40).

Cheers for pulling those references together, helps get a handle on the Dabte conundrum.

I do seriously doubt he's been around since the HH though; if that were so there's no way in hell it wouldn't be mentioned somewhere.

Mage
03-04-2013, 05:45
While it is possible he has been around that long, it is unlikely as it is not mentioned, but could fall in the realm of possibility (in one of the Salamanders books there is a Salamander Marine found from the time of the Salamanders Legion, though he is in rough shape and dies shortly after). If GW did want to suggest that, it would be hinted at somewhere.

As for him living so long, regardless of the chapter flaw, the way Blood Angels are turned into marines via Sanguinius Blood is testified to them having greater longevity than other marines that receive the gene seed in other ways.

m1acca1551
04-04-2013, 03:35
The only known loyalist marine not currently residing in the eye of terra to have seen the heresy is Bjorn of the space wolves chapter, i would dislike the notion of there being more loyalists that can remember the good old days, as once you add another well then.. where do you stop?

Asuryan's Spear
05-04-2013, 15:27
Has anyone else drawn a theory from the sanguinor fluff? It talks about a Seargent being blessed by him and surviving an assualt on a chaos cruiser and Dante is seen to show remarkable empathy with said Seargent whose own reaffirmed principles seem to mirror Dante's own.
So yes what I am saying is this Seargent who I think was in M36(could be wrong) was a younger Dante and explains his drive as well as rise to power

Lord Damocles
05-04-2013, 18:13
So yes what I am saying is this Seargent who I think was in M36(could be wrong) was a younger Dante and explains his drive as well as rise to power
The assault on the Terrorclaw is undated.

ryng_sting
07-04-2013, 13:53
Dante isn't immune to Black Rage, and the HH fiction has shown pre-heresy BAs suffered from it during and after Signus Prime, long before Sanguinius died at Horus's hands and new gene-seed was taken from his corpse.

Doriath
20-06-2013, 05:43
I hope this helps this is pg 145 of blood angels the second omnibus

"The chapter master felt as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders, and for a moment, it was as if he could truly sense the measure of every day of his eleven hundred years of life; but he did not hesitate to speak his voice."I have brought you here to save the Blood Angels from destitution and oblivion""- of 145 paragraph 1 Blood Angels the second omnibus by James Swallow

Hellebore
20-06-2013, 10:36
Oooh don't go quoting James Swallow around here ... :p

This wouldn't deny the possibility of him being from the Heresy, but Veteran Sergeant Cleutin, guardian of the shroud of Sanguinius is still alive and was Dante's scout squad Sergeant. So...

The background doesn't say he IS from the heresy. It also doesn't say that:

Lysander
Vulkan Hestan
Cotez

etc

AREN'T from the Heresy either.

Hellebore

Iron_Lord
20-06-2013, 12:23
Didn't Lysander's background provide a date for the start of his career- M40?

infamousme
20-06-2013, 15:12
I hope this helps this is pg 145 of blood angels the second omnibus

"The chapter master felt as if a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders, and for a moment, it was as if he could truly sense the measure of every day of his eleven hundred years of life; but he did not hesitate to speak his voice."I have brought you here to save the Blood Angels from destitution and oblivion""- of 145 paragraph 1 Blood Angels the second omnibus by James Swallow This is one of the few occasions I would argue that a black library novel should not be considered fluff :D

Lord Damocles
20-06-2013, 17:43
The Swallow quote is entirely in line with the other background on the matter of Dante's age, though.

Inquisitor Engel
20-06-2013, 18:22
Maybe its just one of his gifts. Blood angel characters seem quite keen on demonhood after all.

:eyebrows:

.... What?

Idomeneus
20-06-2013, 18:33
I agree that Swallow shouldn't be taken as accurate. Given his tennancy as chapter master (1100 years), that would mean he was implanted with the gene seed and then immediately handed command of the chapter. not likely. On the subject of heresy survivors, many Furiosos are said to have been heresy era marines in the blood angels codex.

Lord Damocles
20-06-2013, 18:35
I agree that Swallow shouldn't be taken as accurate. Given his tennancy as chapter master (1100 years), that would mean he was implanted with the gene seed and then immediately handed command of the chapter. not likely
That, or most of the Chapter was wiped out boarding a space hulk.

Which is what actually happened.

As already noted.

Idomeneus
20-06-2013, 20:34
I literally meant immediately. Not in a century or two. Besides, you still don't know how old he was after that operation. You merely hypothesise that he was in his first century or so of life. While not an unreasonable assumption, we cannot know for sure, he may already have been over 1000 years old by this point.

Col. Tartleton
22-06-2013, 16:01
:eyebrows:

.... What?

Ephistonmay isway away Aemonday Incepray ofway Ornekhay. Bork Bork Bork.

Inquisitor Engel
22-06-2013, 17:12
Ephistonmay isway away Aemonday Incepray ofway Ornekhay. Bork Bork Bork.

Bloody fan theories... ;)

Hellebore
22-06-2013, 23:55
iirc marines didn't progress in the same fashion during the heresy. They didn't start as scouts they were just blood claw esque. So the fact that Dante began in a scout squad should preclude him being that old. iirc of course...

Hellebore