PDA

View Full Version : To loreknowledge ones - HOW HORUS DESTROY LUNAR DEFENSES AND EARTH FLEET?

Anakwanar
02-04-2013, 12:31
Could someone explain to me how Horus accomplish his breakthrough via Solar system defence greed, Lunar bases and Earth fleet to earth with a force to really threaten the Palace?
Solar system defense greed and lunar bases defences with fleets all described via several books and short stories as something that could destroy hundreds of fleets and kill stars.
Don't tell me that Horus have some stupid button to shut it all down.

reds8n
02-04-2013, 12:55
Could someone explain to me how Horus accomplish his breakthrough via Solar system defence greed, Lunar bases and Earth fleet to earth with a force to really threaten the Palace?

careful dieting and tactical usage of cakes, pastries and similar perhaps ? ;)

To the best of my knowledge they've never said before as such. I assume it's mainly due to overwhelming numerical/tactical superiority, tricksy warp/chaos magick, traitorus curs, support from Mars and the like.

.. so.... "very well" will be the best answer we'll have for a while one would suppose.

Sqallum
02-04-2013, 14:12
careful dieting and tactical usage of cakes, pastries and similar perhaps ? ;)

To the best of my knowledge they've said before as such. I assume it's mainly due to overwhelming numerical/tactical superiority, tricksy warp/chaos magick, traitorus curs, support from Mars and the like.

.. so.... "very well" will be the best answer we'll have for a while one would suppose.

Agreed. However, I am hoping it still murders his fleet suitably :)

SomeRandomEvilGuy
02-04-2013, 15:39
The only passage I've read which mentions the attack against the Lunar defences said that they basically overwhelmed them with superior numbers but lost either a third or half of their fleet doing so.

Sikkukkut
03-04-2013, 00:44
I don't think it's been covered in much detail - most of what I've read on the subject tends to fast-forward to the siege of the Emperor's palace. But Mr Dembski-Bowden has said elsewhere that what the high-ups want to bring out of the Heresy series are "all the Prosperos and Calths that we've never heard about", so this will be a good chance for BL to say "you're right, there was an incredible fight for the traitor fleet to get into Earth orbit, we've never really talked about it before but here's what happened".

Anakwanar
03-04-2013, 08:15
"you're right, there was an incredible fight for the traitor fleet to get into Earth orbit, we've never really talked about it before but here's what happened".
Hope this is true. I always believe in the balance in all things. Even if where are 3 guys and they all have machetes - 1 guy with a pistol could kill min 1-2 (in good scenarios all 3) of them. Same goes for the situation with the fleet.

budman
03-04-2013, 09:32
Two huge king ships on the scale of "the abyss" help a bit with the numbers game

Anakwanar
03-04-2013, 12:29
'Two huge king ships' - about that Aaron make an error - he had given them too much power. I simply cant believe that 40 Ultras ships (lets pretend even destroyer size) firing as one at one target - cant kill it! In the Earth case - lets pretend that the greed have 10000 lasers - just think what would happen to Trisagion and Blessed lady

budman
03-04-2013, 15:09
'Two huge king ships' - about that Aaron make an error - he had given them too much power. I simply cant believe that 40 Ultras ships (lets pretend even destroyer size) firing as one at one target - cant kill it! In the Earth case - lets pretend that the greed have 10000 lasers - just think what would happen to Trisagion and Blessed lady

I don't think it an Error... I think it part of a british mindset...

You have to look at these things thought the WW2 metaphor of the Bismarck-class battleship... one on it's own gave the British fleet a bit of a kicking on it's own, a whole bunch alt historys come down to the two these ships the germans had being able to link up... these King ships are that unstopable warship trope taken to 40k levels...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismarck_class_battleship

ToXiK
03-04-2013, 20:29
Inside job there has been lots of hints in th hh series about spies etc even high lords just me brain storming

Son of Sanguinius
04-04-2013, 06:05
Don't underestimate the forces Horus has at his disposal. He has the combined legion fleets of the Luna Wolves, the Emperor's Children, the Iron Warriors, the World Eaters, the Word Bearers, the Thousand Sons (if they have any), and the Death Guard, plus potentially the equivalent of two Phalanxes and innumerable demons to help with boarding actions. And that's before elements of the loyalist fleet begin turning to Chaos.

budman
04-04-2013, 09:39
I have been thinking about this and there are two other factors to add in

1 the fact that in year one of the war Mars was grabbed by Horus' forces.
2 the jupiter shipyards (largest ones in the system) were grabbed at the same time.

I think that it's hard for both sides to move about unresticted in the sol system.

The bearded one
04-04-2013, 12:07
He sent luna's defencenetwork pm's with So. Many. Caps. that the system shut down and exploded.

budman
04-04-2013, 14:55
He sent luna's defencenetwork pm's with So. Many. Caps. that the system shut down and exploded.

Mars did it with leet-speak...

TheDungen
04-04-2013, 18:56
well the defence fleets were drawn of i belive, let the loyalist think they're winning and they start being more bold and then when you have drawn them far away from terra launch a suprise attack. As for the stable defences overwhelmed them i seem to remember.

The bearded one
05-04-2013, 00:29
Mars did it with leet-speak...

Binary leet-speak!

Anyway, according to some info I managed to find, destroying luna's shipyards and terra's orbital defences took 30 days of space combat.

Goosey_J
10-04-2013, 16:55
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a vague repeat of what happened to Calth's "incredible" orbital defence batteries in "Know No Fear". All those guns aren't going to do much good if they've been shut down.

But personally, I'd rather see a disgustingly epic space battle that sees the Lunar bases all but destroyed and Horus's fleet severely mauled.

budman
11-04-2013, 09:30
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a vague repeat of what happened to Calth's "incredible" orbital defence batteries in "Know No Fear". All those guns aren't going to do much good if they've been shut down.

But personally, I'd rather see a disgustingly epic space battle that sees the Lunar bases all but destroyed and Horus's fleet severely mauled.

I agree a disgustingly epic space Battle would be awesome...

Anakwanar
12-04-2013, 07:53
'I agree a disgustingly epic space Battle would be awesome... '
- i seconded that, and think that this event must be shown via a full novel. :D It is what this event deserve :p

Sqallum
12-04-2013, 09:33
'I agree a disgustingly epic space Battle would be awesome... '
- i seconded that, and think that this event must be shown via a full novel. :D It is what this event deserve :p

Agreed. It should go something like
1) Book on the battle above Terra/Sol System
2) Battle of Terra itself
3) Vengeful Spirit.

budman
12-04-2013, 12:23
Agreed. It should go something like
1) Book on the battle above Terra/Sol System
2) Battle of Terra itself
3) Vengeful Spirit.

so six to nine books based on the way gw have been doing this :D

MyNameDidntFit
12-04-2013, 12:39
I really doubt a single novel could do the Battle of Terra's ground portion justice. I'd rather see it done as a mini-series within the series the way that the first three HH books went. Though the other option is to use several different books advancing the battle steadily from different viewpoints, both Imperial and Traitor.