PDA

View Full Version : New Tau

Menthak
04-04-2013, 18:24
Just wondering what everyone's opinion of the new Tau models are? (Purely aesthetically) IMO:

Good: New Infantry Characters, I think all three of them look fantastic, nice to see some non-battlesuit characters that aren't Aun'va. And the XV8s (I don't know what they changed with these guys, so that's good for me)
Cadre fireblade, I love this model, simple decorated fire warrior, nothing to dislike for me, it's not too OTT.
Pathfinders, I'm so glad pathfinders have found some love, the new models I think are great, and so are the new drones (Except the giant chunky one with a stubby burst cannon)
And the Codex, although not a model, I love the cover art for, even thought it depicts a XV8 commander, and not the regular suits.

Bad: Commander Farsight, has IMO changed too much, he now looks just terrible, plus the Dawnblade now looks more Tau, which I'm not a fan off (It was found on Arthas Moloc I believe, and was actually rumored to be Necron), I don't like how he is so different from regular battlesuits, having said that, I do quite like the wrapped material around his left leg and coming off the back of the Dawnblade.
New Broadside, I don't see what was wrong with the old one tbh, plus this one looks like makuhita from pokémon. It's chunky and IMO disgusting.
The XV8 Commander. Mixed opinions, but mainly negative things here, it doesn't look sleek like the old battlesuits, it looks like a change for the sake of change.
Kroot, The only reason this is on my bad list is because they've got nothing new.
Sun Shark bomber, just look at it.
Finally the Riptide battlesuit. (Before you judge what I say, this is just my opinion) What a piece of crap. It looks like three battlesuits got molested by Tzeentch. Just, no.

Anyways, I want to know your opinions, not just my own.

xerxeshavelock
04-04-2013, 18:45
Fliers - average. Everything else - sexy as hell. Am planning to convert a Rail Rifle firer from Darkstrider.

librerian_samae
04-04-2013, 19:30
start with the new HQ's:

-fireblade, very nice beefier armour and cool cloak but not too much bling also fun lead from the front pose.

-Farsight, cool pose sword is a bit too tau looking and head (to me) looks funny but overall design is a big improvement on the old one.

-XV85, This guy is seriously sweet, everything the tau suit should have been first time round the hands are very cool 'out' too new designs for experimental weapons are better than last time. Buying this guy and would have even if I didn't already have a load of tau.

Elites:
-Riptide, silly big centerpiece done right, love the small head posability looks fantastic weapons are fun finally shield missile drones are tasty!

Fast attack:
-Pathfinders, Brilliant update on the metals, with excellent new special weapons and the drones are once again just tasty, love the big one.

-flier double, both have fun stand out silhouettes, love the pop up seekers and bomb array not too sold on the struts once again, can't get me enough of those drones.

Heavy support:
-Broadside, hands down my favorite GW release in A LONG TIME, just jaw droppingly brilliant everything I could want in a big gun wielding mech suit, huge rifle held gun, large shoulder mounts and giant chunky armour plates with leg brace supports. Personally I will be shoulder mounting the alternate missile pods, underslinging the twin plasma from the railgun and upper arm/leg mounting the sms pods for a severe overloaded look.
Also missile drones, squee!
These guys are just fantastic, finally newer rounded head is a vast improvement on box bunny heads of yore.
Hated the old version and this new one is just beautifully re imagined.

...Oh dear I think I (read my wallet) may have a problem...

Gossipmeng
04-04-2013, 19:33
Old crisis and broadsides were terrible and boxy. The new models blow them out of the water. If you look at the art of XV8 suits they have long sleek limbs with smaller heads... the new crisis commander displays these characteristics.

lordbeefy
05-04-2013, 09:56
totally love all the new tau stuff, starting a new army...wife hates me, lol

by the way, I just noticed that the uk website doesn't have the new empire battleforce packs, still showing only the old ones, yet all the other preorder stuff is up, any ideas?

Kakapo42
05-04-2013, 10:30
If the Crisis Suits are indeed new (as I strongly suspect they are), then I really like them. I always liked the original Crisis Suit look, so these are a clear winner for me.

The Commander I have mixed feelings about. It's not too much of a departure from the original aesthetic that I can live with it, but on the other hand I think the uncovered hands look a bit silly, and I think I rather like the look of the older special issue weapons more, especially the Airbursting Fragmentation Projector.

I was originally very afraid about how the giant new suit would look, but I think they did a fantastic job with the Riptide. It still keeps the armoured look of the original XV8s, while incorporating a few curves here and there to bridge the gap between the vehicles and suits a bit.

The Pathfinders are brilliant. And a versatile new kit. My one gripe is that they're 10 to a box. I don't think Tau teams should be in multiples of 5...

I'm not sold on the Fireblade yet. He seems to be a bit too top-heavy for my liking. I'm not sure about the head too, but that can be easily solved with a quick conversion.

Darkstrider is probably my pick of the new special characters. I love his pose. I will probably get one if only to convert into a Firewarrior commander in a future project I have in mind.

Farsight I'm not convinced on. I always liked that his battlesuit was just a regular old Command-issue XV8, and I think they should have used that or the new XV8-05 as a base instead of an entirely new battlesuit design. Wait a minute.. Egads, they did use the XV8-05 as a base! Not sure about the weird alternate jetpack in that case...

Longstrike, meh. Take it or leave it as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing I particularly dislike about the model, but at the same time nothing about it really pops out and makes me go "Wow!" He does remind me an awful lot of the Protoss Carrier unit portrait in Starcraft 2 though...

I don't particularly like the fliers much at all. I find them too much of a departure from the Forgeworld Tau aircraft. I think the 'bubble wand' the Sunshark has looks too 'magical' for a Tau weapon, and I cannot fathom how the Razorshark can fire it's main weapon forward without hitting the front section. Nonetheless I think they may be salvageable. The pop-out seeker missiles are a nice touch though, I'll give it that.

The Broadside I don't like. I've never liked the hand-held railgun look myself, and the model is too much of a departure from the Crisis suit (background wise they're supposed to be just XV8s with a bit of extra armour welded on and a set of railguns instead of a jetpack). The chest area also seems far too flat and 'puffed up' to me. Maybe I might be able to meld it with an XV8 chestpiece somehow...

Actually looking at it more the Broadside is very slowly starting to grow on me. I still don't like the hand-held railguns though, and the chestpiece still makes it look a bit silly to me.

duffybear1988
05-04-2013, 11:09
Love
Cadre Fireblade - he just looks so damn cool.
Longstrike - again he looks great.

OK
Pathfinders - frankly I never had a problem with the metals, but can see why plastics would be good for other people (hey at least it's not finecast), and they do get some average looking drones to use.
All the other special characters - not really amazing, but not bad.
Enforcer suit - meh it's ok I suppose.

Dislike
The flyers - they are a bit too naff for my liking. They just don't look like the other Tau flyers and it doesn't sit well with me.
The Riptide - don't think it really adds anything aesthetically that Tau need. I would have rather had the Kroot beast that was rumoured.

Hate
Broadsides - bigger obviously doesn't mean better. I don't like them holding the railguns, and the extra weapons looked tacky and stuck on as an afterthought. Even with missiles it looks pants.

Kegslayer
05-04-2013, 12:16
If it wasn't for the old battlesuits then I would be getting some tau. As it is because of the old suits it's a pass but the new models are very cool looking

Reticent
05-04-2013, 12:18
Love the heavy rail rifle Broadside, but think the missile hands Broadside looks silly (and yes, I am familiar with what it is referencing).

Think the fliers have both very good and very bad elements to them.

The characters are good but not up to the standards of GW's best character sculpts.

Pathfinders are quite good, might include them in my army just based on quality of the models.

The Riptide is a good, fun sculpt that's rather fitting for what would in reality be a bit of a silly, impractical concept. Its exaggerated proportions do seem to leave it slightly out of character with the rest of the range however.

Goosey_J
05-04-2013, 13:05
Personally I think all the new models look rad, with the fliers and pathfinders looking a little bit less rad than the rest.
Farsight is the stand out piece in the collection, looks absolutely awesome. If I was going to start a Tau army, I'd be taking him as my commander regardless of stats.

Flogger23
05-04-2013, 13:53
Love
Cadre Fireblade - he just looks so damn cool.

Fireblade looks like he's shouting: "Hey Jack! You forgot your knife!"

childsoldier
05-04-2013, 14:17
I love the new Tau stuff overall. Disappointed the Kroot didn't get some love, as I don't collect Tau but was thinking of adding some Mercenaries as Allies if they got a HQ choice.

Darkstrider is an awesome model, though he looks a bit like he's falling backwards from the pics on the GW site, but it could be just the pictures. The Fireblade model is all sorts of cool, the only thing I don't like it the Bonding Knife held above his head, if I were getting him I'd swap that hand/maybe look at changing the whole arm. Other than that, fantastic. Not a fan of Longstrike. I don't dislike the model, I just don't like it either; it gets a 'meh' vote from me.

All the new suits are, in my opinion, excellent. The Crisis Commander is really dynamic and looks like a great model. Really like Farsight's pose too, big improvement from the old model. Not sold on the new Dawnblade but love everything else about the model, particularly the streamers. The new Broadside is again a huge step up from the old one. Not crazy about the missile pod hands, but the Railcannon or whatever looks really good and I like that they've been massively beefed up (they do have a 2+ save after all), and the bulked up legs give it the look of a heavy suit built to withstand the massive forces of the gun it carries, which I feel the old one lacked.

The Riptide is amazing. The level of posability on a model so big is quite impressive, the weapons all look cool and the drones are a nice addition too. They could have given it a slightly bigger head but that's easy enough to change. And I actually quite like the fliers, even the rails, which I know a lot of people in my group don't like. The models look distinctly Tau, they adhere to the general shape of previous Tau air vehicles but bring something new to the table as well. Oh, forgot the Pathfinders, only thing to say about them is 'hells yeah'!

Inquisitor Engel
05-04-2013, 15:02
(It was found on Arthas Moloc I believe, and was actually rumored to be Necron)

This was never the case. Ever.

There were two competing theories on the Internet about - 1) it's a Chaos artifact and 2) it's one of the Swords of Vaul (Advanced originally by myself on Portent, it's funny seeing it come back around occasionally). The design studio confirmed a couple of times that it's a Chaos artifact, but doesn't have the effect it would have on a human due to the unique psychic qualities of the Tau.

Loopstah
05-04-2013, 18:45
I love the new models especially the Riptide.

I do wonder why the flyers have those stupid struts running alongside the body though, they would look much better if they didn't have them. It just makes them look odd.

loveless
05-04-2013, 19:05
There were "Necrontyr weapon" ideas for the Dawnblade at one point - mainly coming from:
1) It having no Chaotic effect (though explained nicely by Engel that this can easily be due to the unique properties of the Tau psyche)
2) A converted Farsight Enclave army that featured in a GW article that used Necron bits (the creator liked to think that the Dawnblade was of Necrontyr origin)
3) Not sure on this one, but didn't the old Dawnblade stats look very similar to one of the Necron weapons of the time?

Pretty sure it's Chaotic...possibly an artifact of the Old Ones or whatever, too. Who knows, though? :p

Inquisitor Engel
05-04-2013, 21:31
3) Not sure on this one, but didn't the old Dawnblade stats look very similar to one of the Necron weapons of the time?

Well, the Dawnblade existed prior to the Necron Codex, which was the first instance we had of invulnerable-save-ignoring weapons so was basically just a power weapon in the first Tau Codex.

Who knows, though? :p

I do. ;) Seriously. My name is at the front of the Tau Empire Codex. First one under Special Thanks. It's a Chaos weapon (the Sword of Vaul theory was one I espoused prior to working with GW). Trust me. Unless they retcon it, which is, of course, a possibility.

There's a certain irony to it being a Chaos weapon though, since the Tau were uplifted by the Eldar with the express purpose of fighting Chaos...

aim
05-04-2013, 21:36
Posted this in the rumours thread, but its probably more appropriate here:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/57298579.png/

I'm gunna have to convert a longstrike I think...

I do. ;) Seriously. My name is at the front of the Tau Empire Codex. First one under Special Thanks. It's a Chaos weapon (the Sword of Vaul theory was one I espoused prior to working with GW). Trust me. Unless they retcon it, which is, of course, a possibility.

There's a certain irony to it being a Chaos weapon though, since the Tau were uplifted by the Eldar with the express purpose of fighting Chaos...

I always thought it was pretty cut and dried for being Chaos, race of beings who live 40-60 years and their CC obsessed renegade commander has lived for what 300 years and is still combat fit?

Flogger23
05-04-2013, 22:50
I always thought it was pretty cut and dried for being Chaos, race of beings who live 40-60 years and their CC obsessed renegade commander has lived for what 300 years and is still combat fit?

It's possible he has already died, after all there are other dead but playable characters (Tycho).

Though, that would counter the fluff of Shadowsun leading Third Sphere expansion, despite having been Puretide's pupil and Farsights' peer hundreds of years before. Better not to think these things too much.

BillyBones
05-04-2013, 23:18
Considering the models I like them all, at the begging I didn't like the fliers, but as the time (and more pictures) passed I started to like them.
Rules are mostly good, but there are couple things I don't like or i would change:
- BS, why, why they can't give suits (crisis, broadside and riptide), BS 4 it used to be solved by TA, which is now gone (I wouldn't mind paying 10 pts for it) and I'm pissed of, and on vehicles as well (possibly excluding DF), again I'd pay 5-10 pts for it
- continuing with vehicles, DP half the effect and triple the price, not nice I would say 10 pts would be appropriate. Multitracker missing on vehicles is also plain stupid I'd be happy to spend 10 pts on it
- DF should cost 20 less with option to pay 10 pts for SMS. TL burst cannons on HH also make no sense as SMS are same S and AP, longer range and some cool rules
- The rule that says seekers have to be fired at the same target as the rest of the weapons is very limiting
- more weapon options, some S9 weapons, some kind of EMP missiles/granade launcher mostly for suits and piranhas I guess and some more options for HH would also be nice as well as for vehicle secondary armament
- some more options for kroot, variable weapons for krootox, shaper upgrades (stats, rules, to make them more versatile), possibly some special weapons, also keep their two attacks
- one more troop choice
- Stealth on pathfinders
- something to keep control over reserves

Inquisitor Engel
05-04-2013, 23:25
It's possible he has already died, after all there are other dead but playable characters (Tycho).

Farsight is specifically called out as being alive currently. The other alternative is that he's in a Dread Pirate Roberts situation where someone else has taken up his name and title.

Though, that would counter the fluff of Shadowsun leading Third Sphere expansion, despite having been Puretide's pupil and Farsights' peer hundreds of years before. Better not to think these things too much.

Originally, there were several students of Puretide and they had a very Jedi-like feel to them. The only ones currently named are Shadowsun and Farsight, but there are others. There's nothing saying they were trained concurrently (though that was the original intent) and there's the possibility that the Ethereals have one or more master or pupils frozen in stasis and thaw them out when required... That's a total, non-evidenced leap, but I quite like it. :evilgrin:

Flogger23
05-04-2013, 23:41
Of course it's possible that Farsight and other notable Tau characters have simply done so much near-lightspeed travelling that relativistic effects have seemingly prolonged their lifespan...

Phanixis
06-04-2013, 03:52
Overall I am really disappointed with this codex, and I think it is a mess. I will still probably be expanding the army, if for no other reason than I am a sucker for Tau and they did add in a lot of cool new stuff.

The Good:

Lots of S8, this was badly needed
Lots of nasty blast and large blast template weapons
Excellent Anti-Air
Interceptor wargear to shoot down both aircraft and kill deep-striking pricks
Two New Fliers
Overchargable Ion Cannons
Good Special Characters
Better Crisis Suits
Cheaper Piranha
Buffed Fusion Blasters and Burst Cannons
Fixed Pulse Carbines
New Broadside Options

The Bad:

Limited Troops
Crowded Force Org Charts
Excessively Markerlight Dependent
Devilfish still too expensive
Poor Internal Balance; Still too many expensive, situational units (Vespid, Skyray, etc.)
Fliers are mediocre
Too many weapons limited to str 7 and ap 4
Loss of broadside A.S.S.

The Ugly:

Loss of Vehicle Multitrackers - An absolutely inexcusable change
Loss of Broadside Railgun - Army is far too vulnerable to landraiders and the like, and no the FB buff doesn't do enough to compensate
Massed Markerlights Carriers still stuck in the Fast Attack slot where they do not belong
Kroot close combat nerfs - Vastly diminished flexibility on one of our only two troops choices

Kakapo42
06-04-2013, 04:27
Massed Markerlights Carriers still stuck in the Fast Attack slot where they do not belong
Kroot close combat nerfs - Vastly diminished flexibility on one of our only two troops choices

I hear this a lot about Pathfinders (which I assume you are referring to), and I think the problem is that people are basing this on how Pathfinders act in-game (as a largely static support unit), instead of how they are in the background. According to the background, Pathfinders are advance-scouts. They speed ahead of the main Hunter Cadres in Devilfish or on Tetras, then conduct in-depth reconnaissance of the enemy, which is a role I always think should be Fast Attack. This is also supported in-game through their ideal use, the idea being that you use the Devilfish to quickly get them to an ideal position, then have them hunker down in cover and mark-targets for other units, just like they do in the background. Besides, the only other place they would really fit is in Troops, and putting them there would make Firewarriors redundant.

As for Kroot, from what I hear they are still very versatile, just in different ways. They can now purchase sniper ammunition to make them very powerful anti-personnel units, I believe I heard that Kroot rifles are AP5 in close combat, making them very useful against light units.

de Selby
06-04-2013, 04:30
Well I pretty much have opposite opinions to the OP.

The new broadsides are my favourite, they look like walking tanks and the guy with all the missiles looks pretty much exactly as I imagine when I hear the designation 'broadside'.
The command suits are cool, just a sleeker upgrade for the XV8s. I suspect the kind of people who kit out their armies with FW suits will be using these as crisis suits.
The giant suit is ok, not very interesting to me but fine.
The pathfinders are fine
The fliers are distinctly odd looking; not up to FW standards
The characters range from a bit dull to really weirdly proportioned (the fireblade).

The codex cover is defitely nice, all of them are.

Of course it's possible that Farsight and other notable Tau characters have simply done so much near-lightspeed travelling that relativistic effects have seemingly prolonged their lifespan...

That's an interesting idea. Tau don't have warp access so maybe some of their warriors have spent hundreds of years travelling relativistically and hardly aged at all.

But I suspect that tau have the same anti-aging drugs as humans use for important people.

Kore5022
06-04-2013, 08:28
O
Fliers are mediocre

This still makes me laugh

everyone thinks their book is getting a helldrake...*pro-tip* there are not going to be anymore flying abominations in a gw book like the hell drake

Lichdom
06-04-2013, 11:02
Farsight is specifically called out as being alive currently. The other alternative is that he's in a Dread Pirate Roberts situation where someone else has taken up his name and title.

Originally, there were several students of Puretide and they had a very Jedi-like feel to them. The only ones currently named are Shadowsun and Farsight, but there are others. There's nothing saying they were trained concurrently (though that was the original intent) and there's the possibility that the Ethereals have one or more master or pupils frozen in stasis and thaw them out when required... That's a total, non-evidenced leap, but I quite like it. :evilgrin:

I always took it that Farsight was still alive, like most, it seems the blade is helping him live longer. On the Puretide students, I thought there was a third named one, Icewind, from some Black library book from years ago, got the paragraph saved somethere, where the Imperials are talking to what I think was an Ethereal, and they introduce the three students, Shadowsun, Farsight, and Icewind(or something like that)

I would buy you a shot Engel, if only I could, for while the blade could have changed since then (and probely has) its nice to hear someone who had some workings on it admit it was once Chaos. The signs were always there of course, but that never stops GW from going "Oh hey, yeah now its a Ork Blade, why do you think he uses red paint, and likes to go fast?" :P

Makes me wonder, if the drifter I listend to once was telling the truth and not trolling, and the blade was indeed a axe, and linked to damned and forgotten Chaos god... Oh Farsight, shall your mysteries ever be known...

oink
06-04-2013, 11:33
I think that it is important not to get stuck in the trap of the "better or worse" when looking at what your old units compared to your new units.

The key thing you need to look at is how roles have been adapted and this will help you work out how to use units. This is vital because minor changes to units may appear to make them less desireable choices, but actually that is because you are consdiering them in light of how you used them previously, and NOT how you should be using them now. For example broadsides are no longer the be all and end all of anti-tank. They won't be as prodigious against land raiders, or predators etc. but they have equally vastly improved in an anti air role, and generally improved their firepower output. This makes them "worse" if you only think of them as anti-land raider... but "better" if you think of them as AA. So, just forget about comparing them like that and simply look at the best way of applying a unit - remembering that how you used to use a unit may not be the best way any more!

I particularly disagree with the "ugly" category described by Phanixis.

The loss of multitrackers is not really THAT hard felt - because the rules for snap firing allow moving and firing anyway - and our vehicles in general have improved their firepower thanks to the burst cannon buff. It also helps to differentiate the Tau vehicles more as skimmers that are tanks, but not fast... they are as such now more unique. Couple this to the fact that vehicles are now also able to overwatch and you're not looking too bad. I do think that the devilfish is still slightly too expensive though.

The broadsides have shifted focus and whilst one shot killing tanks is now less likely with them the army in general has a greater amount of mid strength ranged weapons meaning that it is pretty viable to just glance-kill. I also think that whilst the fusion blaster boost alone is not going to balance this, what will is the fact that fusion blaster platforms have generally got cheaper - ie, crisis suits and piranhas and of course the fact that the railhead is now at a bargain price.

"massed markerlight carriers"!? I assume you are trying to refer to pathfinders, ignoring the fact that marker drones (which are now the same cost as gun drones) are available to anyone in a suit... commanders, crisis, stealth, riptide, broadside... oh, and your regular fire warrior team. And other army choices also have markerlights too such as the sky ray, sunshark and sniper team. I'd say there is much greater flexibility for markerlight application and you are factually very wrong.

The kroot combat nerfs are dissapointing. remember they've lost strength and an attack. they are cheaper though, and have better shooting options, plus hounds are cheaper too. The idea seems to be you can focus a kroot unit for combat by adding hounds (and maybe krootox), or focus them on shooting by making them snipers (and mybe add krootox). Again, its just a case of adapting what you currently do... its not JUST the kroot now, they are trying to give a reason for the other kroot strains and I think that's been successful. Additionally, general combat softening is not the end of the world given the additional ability for most units to overwatch when a nearby unit is charged.

M@L@L
06-04-2013, 15:27
Loss of Broadside Railgun - Army is far too vulnerable to landraiders and the like, and no the FB buff doesn't do enough to compensate

Is this to say twin linked heavy rail rifles aren't good enough?

Keichi246
06-04-2013, 17:39
Is this to say twin linked heavy rail rifles aren't good enough?

Kinda.

To be brutally honest - the (old) Broadside Railguns were one of my favorite parts of the army. A low model count but brutally effective portion of the army that could consistently do what needed to be done.
Pick a vehicle target and make it die. Flyers, Land Raiders, Monoliths- the High strength and TL nature of the Broadside railguns made them a solid multirole anti armor platform. They were a relatively expensive unit that could be counted on to do their job without requiring massive support from other units. (So that gods forbid - I could actually use my markerlights to support OTHER units in the army.)

And I loved the look of the old ForgeWorld Broadside - which is why I bought 6 of em.

The new Heavy Railrifle version is vastly inferior in every way except looks. The TL heavy railrifle is a mediocre anti-air platform (due to its low rate of fire) - the High Yield missile pods are mathematically more effective. Losing 2 points of strength also *cripples* its effectiveness against AV13 and 14 targets for long range fire support - THE historical use of the unit. So odds are - this edition - most "new style" Broadsides are going to be equipped with the HYMP and deployed as pure anti-air platforms without the "signature" Broadside rail weapon.

To be honest - if the Heavy Railrifle was S9 instead of 8, suddenly the choice between the two weapon systems would've been more interesting. The HYMP would still have been more effective against air threats due to its rate of fire, but the Railrifle would've been a better long range support option - making it an actual decision between the two when equipping the unit... *shrug*

(And yes - i know - the new codex has other anti-armor choices. I've just always had a personal preference AGAINST suicide tactics - so i tried to avoid them. May not be able to this edition...)
~~~~~

I will also heavily miss the vehicle multitracker. I always liked how it demonstrated the Tau's technological prowess - by having vehicles that could fire on the move WITHOUT actually making them fast. It made them feel more advanced than the Imperium without actually giving them a speed edge. (I always pictured it as gun stabilization systems like modern MBTs). It also established one of the major flavors of the TAU army - it emphasized their fire and maneuver feel.

I haven't gotten my new codex yet - but I fear that the TAU armies are going to become a lot more stationary by what i've been reading. Still - I'm going to hold off making any final decisions until after I have a few games under my belt...

The bearded one
06-04-2013, 20:38
I've just always had a personal preference AGAINST suicide tactics - so i tried to avoid them.

The Tau do too.

Fluffwise they're very casualtyconscious. In fact Im currently modelling my riptide and im going to have him rescueing a wounded piranha pilot from the piranha that crashed on his base ;)

Sildani
06-04-2013, 22:05
Dunno if you've read it by now, but its now explicitly stated that Shadowsun and a few other students of Puretide were frozen in stasis specifically so that they could be released when needed. There's a new one, too: O'Kais.

Iron_Lord
06-04-2013, 22:15
I'm guessing this is the same Kais from the Fire Warrior game.

The "Shadowsun was in stasis" bit, does explain how she was Farsight's contemporary as a student of Puretide (last codex) yet is not implied to be absurdly old, 300 years later.

Wolf Lord Balrog
06-04-2013, 22:33
Overall I am really disappointed with this codex, and I think it is a mess. I will still probably be expanding the army, if for no other reason than I am a sucker for Tau and they did add in a lot of cool new stuff.

The Good:

Lots of S8, this was badly needed
Lots of nasty blast and large blast template weapons
Excellent Anti-Air
Interceptor wargear to shoot down both aircraft and kill deep-striking pricks
Two New Fliers
Overchargable Ion Cannons
Good Special Characters
Better Crisis Suits
Cheaper Piranha
Buffed Fusion Blasters and Burst Cannons
Fixed Pulse Carbines
New Broadside Options

The Bad:

Limited Troops
Crowded Force Org Charts
Excessively Markerlight Dependent
Devilfish still too expensive
Poor Internal Balance; Still too many expensive, situational units (Vespid, Skyray, etc.)
Fliers are mediocre
Too many weapons limited to str 7 and ap 4
Loss of broadside A.S.S.

The Ugly:

Loss of Vehicle Multitrackers - An absolutely inexcusable change

This pretty much nails it for me. Especially 'The Ugly'.

The bearded one
07-04-2013, 00:42
The Tau do too.

Fluffwise they're very casualtyconscious. In fact Im currently modelling my riptide and im going to have him rescueing a wounded piranha pilot from the piranha that crashed on his base ;)

Speaking of this.. ;)

Menthak
07-04-2013, 00:51
This was never the case. Ever.

There were two competing theories on the Internet about - 1) it's a Chaos artifact and 2) it's one of the Swords of Vaul (Advanced originally by myself on Portent, it's funny seeing it come back around occasionally). The design studio confirmed a couple of times that it's a Chaos artifact, but doesn't have the effect it would have on a human due to the unique psychic qualities of the Tau.

Apologies, I should have fact checked first, I think it was just an early rumour that I had lodged in my head and no-one has ever said otherwise to me.

And for Riptide battlesuits, aside from the one posted by the Bearded One I still think they all look like some reject from an anime.

I personally don't see what was wrong with the old battlesuits. Or the old Farsight model, which is going to be a nightmare to find now.

jason_sation
07-04-2013, 03:32
Speaking of this.. ;)

I love it! Models that tell a story (or are like a diorama) are awesome!

Ronin no Matsu
07-04-2013, 04:58
Yep, that's a fantastic job you've done there The bearded one!

Inquisitor Engel
07-04-2013, 05:03
And for Riptide battlesuits, aside from the one posted by the Bearded One I still think they all look like some reject from an anime.

I like it, except for the tiny, teeny weeny head. I'm glad it's not just a big Tau-ish Gundam, but I'm equally disappointed it's not a Tau-ish Metal Gear Rex like this:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/0dc2db70e23a63f600e7aed68eababf0/tumblr_mimxtxhDFC1r6brt0o1_1280.jpg

otakuzoku
07-04-2013, 16:49
how poseable is the command suite can you alter the stance. all the pics i have scene are it jumping in or out. if any one has pics of the un built command or farsight please put them up ?

The bearded one
07-04-2013, 17:54
Well, it's finecast and you can basically cut finecast up with a blunt fruit knife and reglue it with a drop of superglue, so I can imagine reposing to be pretty easy ;)

HereComesTomorrow
07-04-2013, 18:44
The Bad:

Limited trips

Picking up on this as it seems to be becoming a common complaint.

Necrons, Grey Knights and I think SMs both vanilla and pointy all only get 2 troop choices as well. Tactical Marines and Scouts and Chaos Marines and Cultists respectivley if I'm not mistaken. It's just the direction they're going in, Tau don't really have "few" troops choices, they have the normal amount.

The bearded one
07-04-2013, 19:32
They generally have some options for the squad, such as specialist weaponry (melta's, flamers, powerfists) and multiple types of transport, or are quite strong/versatile by themselves like troop terminators and basic marines. The day 0 FAQ took away a source of heavier weaponry for firewarriors, and kroot lost the versatility combat prowess brings (which they didnt merely add to the troop selections, but to the army in general). The two troop units were brought closer together in their roles as static firebase units.

It's not really crippling or killing the whole codex, it's just simply a shame.

Mandragola
07-04-2013, 22:37
So, kroot are basically fine. They are 6 point troops with bolt guns that can infiltrate/outflank. Previously, most stuff would massacre them in cc. Now, everything will massacre them in cc. But they were never really any good at cc as I recall, and even less so now they had to deal with overwatch etc in 6th.

60 points buys you an outflanking scoring unit with 20 S4 shots at close range and stealth in woods - so if they go to ground in woods they have a 2+ cover save. You know, I don't think that's terrible. It's very similar to a CSM player taking 10 unupgraded cultists. It's a scoring unit token, but with a pretty respectable set of guns for its cost.

Outflanking scoring units appearing in the other guy's deployment zone, near his objectives, is a headache for him to deal with. If he has to send a unit back to deal with them then that unit isn't rushing forwards to eat your Tau. Job done. You never know, they might even kill something.

Kore5022
08-04-2013, 01:49
So, kroot are basically fine. They are 6 point troops with bolt guns that can infiltrate/outflank. Previously, most stuff would massacre them in cc. Now, everything will massacre them in cc. But they were never really any good at cc as I recall, and even less so now they had to deal with overwatch etc in 6th.

60 points buys you an outflanking scoring unit with 20 S4 shots at close range and stealth in woods - so if they go to ground in woods they have a 2+ cover save. You know, I don't think that's terrible. It's very similar to a CSM player taking 10 unupgraded cultists. It's a scoring unit token, but with a pretty respectable set of guns for its cost.

Outflanking scoring units appearing in the other guy's deployment zone, near his objectives, is a headache for him to deal with. If he has to send a unit back to deal with them then that unit isn't rushing forwards to eat your Tau. Job done. You never know, they might even kill something.

Not to mention ap5 in combat is pretty awesome for how damn cheap they are.

The bearded one
08-04-2013, 09:02
I found str4 with acw's more awesome for how cheap they were previously :p

Shamana
08-04-2013, 10:19
But they were never really any good at cc as I recall.

Mechanically, maybe - but in the fluff, they are represented as being pretty nasty in CC, as a semi-horde unit. So they aren't a bad unit point-wise, just weird mechanically. It's like giving space marines a tau fire warrior profile - they'd be pretty good, just not what you'd expect.

I was hoping they'd be something a bit like ork shoota boys with several purchaseable stat/rule upgrades to represent various strains, this would tie into their mutability, maybe with a few units in other slots so you could make a mostly kroot force to represent mercs or some such. Kroot mercenaries would be nice thematic allies for quite a few forces, what with all the "build a narrative" thing GW is so keen on now.

Hengist
08-04-2013, 12:05
Well, the Dawnblade existed prior to the Necron Codex, which was the first instance we had of invulnerable-save-ignoring weapons so was basically just a power weapon in the first Tau Codex.

Technically 2nd edition's C'tan phase weapons (which as well as armour saves ignored fields, that edition's invulnerable save-allowing wargear), as wielded by Callidus assassins and Cypher were the first instance of that in the rules (and fluff). I realise that doesn't affect your argument, I just thought it worth mentioning. Did 3rd edition-era Farsight's sword (and indeed 3rd edition's Callidus assassins) use equivalent rules? If so I'd be willing to believe that the inference of a Necron connection had at some point been intended (even if only as a red herring).

Inquisitor Engel
08-04-2013, 12:52
Technically 2nd edition's C'tan phase weapons (which as well as armour saves ignored fields, that edition's invulnerable save-allowing wargear), as wielded by Callidus assassins and Cypher were the first instance of that in the rules (and fluff). I realise that doesn't affect your argument, I just thought it worth mentioning. Did 3rd edition-era Farsight's sword (and indeed 3rd edition's Callidus assassins) use equivalent rules? If so I'd be willing to believe that the inference of a Necron connection had at some point been intended (even if only as a red herring).

Ah, I had forgotten about the Callidus assassins, (Cypher lost his ;) ) good call out. In the Tau Empire Codex, the Dawnblade allowed no armour saves and rolled 2D6+5 for armour penetration, that's it. Not exactly Phase Weapon material.

schmoozies
08-04-2013, 22:27
The whole Necron rumour was based around one of the studio staffs army where he decided it would look cool to kitbash and mix some Necron Bits (mostly the Green "glow" rods) onto his Farsight model and the rest of his army. Was never officially published anywhere.

The bearded one
08-04-2013, 23:11
In fairness the first time I read Farsight's story (in the previous Tau codex, the one they just replaced) the first thing I thought was necrons :)

Voss
08-04-2013, 23:45
In fairness the first time I read Farsight's story (in the previous Tau codex, the one they just replaced) the first thing I thought was necrons :)
Interesting. I assumed a chaos weapon (not a daemon weapon) from Lost and the Damned: Slaves to Darkness.

Mauler
09-04-2013, 09:02

Same here. The new codex still gives me that impression; Farsight fighting a mysterious unknown enemy that fades out just as quickly as appearing and ends up with a blade that is far more akin to a type of warscythe than any Chaos blade that I remember.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

(...it might be a Flayed One, haha)

Mauler
09-04-2013, 11:34
Back onto the topic of aesthetics:

HQs:
Farsight: Holy carp, I cannot state how much I love his revised XV8 battlesuit. The hooves tie it in with the XV15, the layered pauldron links to the XV104, the head detailing looks stonking, the whole update looks far more dynamic than the tired look of the current XV8 and if I had my way all Crisis suits would look this way but without the extra fins/vanes & streamers. I think that GW are slightly mental for not updating them when they had the chance but I'm sure it's down to cost vs risk or something. Change all XV8s to this design GW, do it now!! ASTOUNDINGLY GREAT SUCCESS! 15/10

XV8-05 Commander: Looks alright, a nice evolution of the standard XV8 design. The collar is a good touch to align the design with that of the XV104 and the waist adds a touch of realism to the operation of the suit. Not too keen on the leg knobles but I can see that they're a nod to some of the Forgeworld XV units, which is a nice touch. Not sure if I'm keen on the new CIB design as it looks a lot like the old AFP, but it looks like a weapon that I'd like to see in operation with the spinning barrel section as per the normal codex cover. The new AFP looks pretty dull but more practical than the old design. GOOD. 8/10

Darkstrider: Not bad! It's nice to see an unsuited (fnarr) HQ choice. The base is a nice touch and the model itself looks pretty nifty, decent detailing. Would've liked a helmeted option as unlike most people at GWHQ I don't think that the most important person in a unit should wander about without decent head protection. Tsk. GOOD-ISH. 7/10

Cadre Fireblade: Not overly impressed. Looks like a bit of a fatty for a leading infantryman and I can't see how waving a scabbarded bonding knife about on the battlefield is practical. The pauldron looks like it's been stuck on over the cloak as an afterthought. The detailing on the base and extra armour is nice, but still too tubby. Might change my mind if I see one in person, but again needs a helmed option. BLERGH. 4/10

ELITES:
XV104 Riptide: Ah, this one. The XV104 Pinhead battlesuit. Initially I was very much against this unit and still consider it to be a travesty of the existing background but a combination of the design, capability & function of the unit has swayed me somewhat. The initial images of this model set me well against the design as the angles made it look like a lump with chicken's legs, but since the 360 images were uploaded to the unit's GW page I was relieved to see that the torso of the suit is actually quite well proportioned and the bulk comes from the viewing angle of the weapons and jetpack. IMO the jetpack is slightly too narrow (ironically), the head slightly too small and the weapons (HBC especially) slightly too big which kinda skews the proportions of the model from some angles. Since putting one together myself my misgivings about the leg design are fairly quashed with them actually being fairly well-proportioned and the ankles thankfully more substantial in ratio than the dreaded XV8 snapathons. Needs a slightly bigger head but overall better than expected! PRETTY GOOD. 8/10

FAST ATTACK:
Sharks: What the hell happened here?!? Were Colin Dixon & Matt Holland intentionally trying to avoid Will Hayes' excellent Forgeworld flyer designs? I have no idea, but compared to the established FW units the design for these is sorely lacking. Apparently based from the design of the Piranha but nowhere near as concise I think that the wings are too wide and should be more of a delta shape. Struts?! What?! Even if these had looked like the reverse of the FW flyers (like the Piranha) it would've been better than these final designs. Why go with a 'conventional' aircraft design when the established flyers are so unique and miles better looking? Saved from a terrible score by having a good front/rear profile, the nifty pop-up hidden seeker bays, crafty turret designs and the design cues from the Piranha/Devilfish that DO work, I can't help but feel that these two flyers could've been so much better. This might get revised as I build mine but I'e not really gotten around to it yet. SOMEWHAT PAP, AM SAD. 5/10

Pathfinders: Frickin' awesome. My metal unit of 'Finders is pretty decent, but these are something else. Modular like the Fire Warriors with more weapon options and bit of kit (pulse pistols?! They're not in the codex options for this lot you teasing gits GW!) I'm very pleasently surprised that these guys got an overhaul to this extent. The large Recon Drone fitting into a 'Fish is a stroke of genius (although personally I think that it should be able to rotate in the cupola just so it's burst cannon can fire out of an open side-hatch, ha!) and the overall detailing on these plastics is great. I can't wait to put mine together, that will probably be tonight. Either that or starting work on a Battlescribe catalogue for the new codex. Whatevs! AWESOME. 10/10

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Longstrike: Lookin' grumpy in a onesie aside, he looks alright. Nothing really to write home about. Despite the fact that he has less of a need for one than anyone else thanks to hiding in an armoured hull, a helmet option would still be nice. ALRIGHT, I SUPPOSE. 5/10

XV88 Broadside: Ooohh, it's contraversial unit O'clock! With the new stats comes a new model and I suspect both physical and stat designs will polarise players. The good thing is that the new design fully looks capable of having a 2+ save and fielding long-range firepower. The model is sharply featured, the feet and ankles are reinforced and so are less likely to XV8icate themselves into oblivion if the model suffers an impact. The new XV88 is what the mass of the XV9 should be but I imagine that Forge World would be a bit miffed. The shoulder mounts are on pivots so can fit seekers & the plasma/SMS pods depending on which way you angle them and I think I'll be magnetising mine somehow. The bad things are purely personal: the head (again) is a tiny bit too small and the new types of noggin only have a single optical lens, and I don't feel that a weapon wit the range and power of a heavy rail rifle should be wielded like an actual rifle. FW had the right idea with their XV-88-2's head because, to me at least, a unit with a longer ranged "OMG PLX DON'T MISS" weapon should have extra viewers and rangefinding gubbinz in it's sensor array and so needs more lenses. The HRR will be hoisted up onto my XV88's shoulder where it should be and the HYMP arms will be slightly modified and pressed into use as SMS (and HYMP) pods as need be. That should be fun. All in all, I'm very sad to see the iconic old XV88 model go the way of the dodo, but the new item is a very worthy replacement if you can deal with the changes. SPLENDID. 9/10

Kakapo42
09-04-2013, 11:59
ELITES:
XV104 Riptide: Ah, this one. The XV104 Pinhead battlesuit. Initially I was very much against this unit and still consider it to be a travesty of the existing background but a combination of the design, capability & function of the unit has swayed me somewhat. The initial images of this model set me well against the design as the angles made it look like a lump with chicken's legs, but since the 360 images were uploaded to the unit's GW page I was relieved to see that the torso of the suit is actually quite well proportioned and the bulk comes from the viewing angle of the weapons and jetpack. IMO the jetpack is slightly too narrow (ironically), the head slightly too small and the weapons (HBC especially) slightly too big which kinda skews the proportions of the model from some angles. Since putting one together myself my misgivings about the leg design are fairly quashed with them actually being fairly well-proportioned and the ankles thankfully more substantial in ratio than the dreaded XV8 snapathons. Needs a slightly bigger head but overall better than expected! PRETTY GOOD. 8/10

I actually rather like the small head of the Riptide. I've always been a fan of the relatively small heads on the larger battlesuits, indeed one of the main reasons why I don't like the Forgeworld battlesuits is because of their massive enlengthened heads. But to each their own I suppose. I do agree with you on the new fliers though, they do really clash with the amazing Forgeworld Tau aircraft.

Also you missed out the new Broadside models on your list. Was this intentional?

Mauler
09-04-2013, 14:00
I actually rather like the small head of the Riptide. I've always been a fan of the relatively small heads on the larger battlesuits, indeed one of the main reasons why I don't like the Forgeworld battlesuits is because of their massive enlengthened heads. But to each their own I suppose. I do agree with you on the new fliers though, they do really clash with the amazing Forgeworld Tau aircraft.

Also you missed out the new Broadside models on your list. Was this intentional?

It most certainly was not! I'll sort that out...

Sir_Turalyon
09-04-2013, 15:26
For sake of completeness...

Bad: Anime shoehorned into 40k. As out of place as when they were first released. Unlike musical taste of Beavis in Butt-head, Tau aesthetics seem immune to process of turning from wrong when introduced into classic when enough time passes.

Decent: Kroot?

aim
09-04-2013, 16:21

Bad: Anime shoehorned into 40k. As out of place as when they were first released. Unlike musical taste of Beavis in Butt-head, Tau aesthetics seem immune to process of turning from wrong when introduced into classic when enough time passes.

Each to their own I suppose, for example, I think hawk-bird-man-gangly-tribe-cannibal-folk look stupid and out of place. I also hate the "spiked skulls on spikes with skulls on them at the base of some spikes on a skull" look, but enjoy the sleek and clean high-tech lines of the Tau units.

Sir_Turalyon
09-04-2013, 16:33
The spiked skulls with spiked skulls are another problem, but they sometimes have something resembling a Space Marine or even Guardsman beneath, while "feral cannibal monsters to be shot at" are simple enough to not rise brow, and pass as primitive xeno the Imperial propaganda would make up if it dod not exist. To each his own, definetly.

Hengist
09-04-2013, 17:08
Ah, I had forgotten about the Callidus assassins, (Cypher lost his ;) ) good call out. In the Tau Empire Codex, the Dawnblade allowed no armour saves and rolled 2D6+5 for armour penetration, that's it. Not exactly Phase Weapon material.

It's one of those little details which has stuck in my mind these past twenty years thanks to the significance it later took on in the background; the introduction of the Necrons through oblique references during 2nd edition was a very clever and effective bit of marketing by GW (much like the (re)introduction of the Tyranids in the early 1990s via a few years' worth of short pieces in White Dwarf and appearances in board games before they ever became a 'proper' army in 40k.)

IronBrother
09-04-2013, 17:17
Overall, I am very happy with the new Tau things.

-Darkstrider: Love this guy, didn't know he was an HQ, but he is a must have for Pathfinders and in a pinch can help out FW too. Cool looking model, wish he would have come with the option of a helmet but the Dragonball Z scouter thing looks cool too.

-Fireblade: Meh, if I had known that Darkstrider was an HQ, I would not have picked him up. Cool pose and a lot of character, glue his head onto the large torso piece before attaching the back (oops).

-Farsight: again meh, was never a huge fan. Probably pick him up in the future.

-XV8-05: Awesome new HQ, I know it's an 05, not an 02, but it looks perfect for the Iridium. Lots of flow to the model and despite being finecast, has a lot of posing options (if you cut off the base extras on his left foot).

Elites:
-Riptide: Awesome model, great variety in what you can make it look like and how it's fielded. Overall a huge fan of this guy.

Fast attack:
-Pathfinders: I am so happy with these, I think these are my favorites. Lots of new posing options and the new drones are just awesome.

-Fliers: Not super impressed with these (only models I didn't pick up in the release), but they look cool, hahaha.

Heavy support:
-Broadsides: These dudes look awesome (my opinion), but having them in hand, they look even better. I have never owned these the entire time Tau have been out, but these models do the trick for me. I have mine built with the Heavy Rail Rifle and they will be really dynamic on the table top. I am happy they got bulkier than their XV8 cousins, they are not meant to be fluttering around the battlefield and now they actually look like their bodies can handle the weapons they tote.

Like I said, overall I am very happy with all of this stuff.

Charistoph
09-04-2013, 17:27
Bad: Anime shoehorned into 40k. As out of place as when they were first released.

Oddly enough, the Eldar have more of an anime theme to them than the Tau do. Tau is more a Western effort to emulate anime.

09-04-2013, 17:49
Oddly enough, the Eldar have more of an anime theme to them than the Tau do. Tau is more a Western effort to emulate anime.

This is the best way to describe Tau. A Western approach to anime.

Inquisitor Shego
09-04-2013, 17:57
I was just looking through the codex at the beautiful artwork. Absolutely incredible design and feel to the army.

*looks back to his Blanche polluted Daemon book*

.............I hate you GW

MajorWesJanson
09-04-2013, 18:41
Eldar are more the Super Robot genre, while Tau are Real Robot. Similar units and stylings, but execution is far different.

buddy_revell
09-04-2013, 18:54
I was just looking through the codex at the beautiful artwork. Absolutely incredible design and feel to the army.

*looks back to his Blanche polluted Daemon book*

.............I hate you GW

is this a joke?

Inquisitor Engel
09-04-2013, 19:57
is this a joke?

Some people don't dig Blache's style. Art is subjective.

buddy_revell
09-04-2013, 19:59
Some people don't dig Blache's style. Art is subjective.
i absolutely agree. but calling it "pollution" is a bit much.

aim
09-04-2013, 20:53
i absolutely agree. but calling it "pollution" is a bit much.

not if you really hate it, I've studied a fair amount of Art and I dispise Banksy, where a lot of people hail him as the demigod of modern art. I would call his work pollution and he is a hugely famous artist.

buddy_revell
09-04-2013, 20:58
not if you really hate it, I've studied a fair amount of Art and I dispise Banksy, where a lot of people hail him as the demigod of modern art. I would call his work pollution and he is a hugely famous artist.
i too have studied art. the fame of an artist should have absolutely no bearing on the merits awarded to them. i agree, that you can dislike something, but given that the artist in question inspired and directed most of the art in any of the given books in 40k, its a bit strong to call his work "pollution".

Shamana
09-04-2013, 21:36
Eldar are more the Super Robot genre, while Tau are Real Robot. Similar units and stylings, but execution is far different.

I never really got a strong robot or anime vibe off eldar, really. To me,there is mostly a classical european influence - some greek-inspired helmets on avengers or guardians, celtic influences in names of craftworlds, and the wraithlord/guard are sort of like golems. Instead, Tau seem to have a classical chinese flavour (except the wire fu), and the robots seem patterned after old school mecha shows.

Voss
09-04-2013, 21:46
fame sells far more art than quality does.

Charistoph
09-04-2013, 22:42
I never really got a strong robot or anime vibe off eldar, really. To me,there is mostly a classical european influence - some greek-inspired helmets on avengers or guardians, celtic influences in names of craftworlds, and the wraithlord/guard are sort of like golems. Instead, Tau seem to have a classical chinese flavour (except the wire fu), and the robots seem patterned after old school mecha shows.

Eldar follow the flowing lines common in fantasy or super blade anime, not robot for the most part, but the War Walkers are pretty close to the Zentraedi Battle Pod.

Tau vehicles do flow like chinese anime, as do Fire Warriors and Pathfinders, but the Crisis
Suits are definitely Western in styling with hard angles that the Orientals usually refused to do. Battlemechs and Heavy Gears are closer to a Crisis Suit than a Gundam or Votoms.

Shamana
09-04-2013, 23:25
Well, flowing lines and organic-looking shapes aren't a purely anime thing imo. I was getting more of a supercar vibe out of some of their vehicles, and each aspect has its own theme. Tau suits have a sort of vintage anime feel imo - there used to be a lot more boxy shapes before.

TheDoctor
10-04-2013, 04:15
I think people mostly get the anime vibe off of Eldar because of the super-bright/fake colors, such as orange hair (and when was the last time you saw an anime WITHOUT at least one character having bright pink hair?)

Voss
10-04-2013, 05:11
I think people mostly get the anime vibe off of Eldar because of the super-bright/fake colors, such as orange hair (and when was the last time you saw an anime WITHOUT at least one character having bright pink hair?)

Quite often, actually. I can only think of three off the top of my head that do. Crazy-spastic-combat-ninjas, Tenchi, and Sailor Moon.

Mauler
10-04-2013, 09:02

Not sure...if you're trolling...or not... *squints*

Nope, I get an Anime vibe from the Eldar because they have vehicles, robots, walkers & titans with flowing lines, vanes and fluid movement like mechas from A Vision Of Escaflowne and craft from Vandread, for example. :)

Individual8580
10-04-2013, 09:19
I think Imperium has also a bit of some kind of gritty anime aesthetic. Bighuge macho heroes with melee weapons in the age of guns, all the gothic S%&ft and capes and then big big mechas.

Shamana
10-04-2013, 09:44
Nope, I get an Anime vibe from the Eldar because they have vehicles, robots, walkers & titans with flowing lines, vanes and fluid movement like mechas from A Vision Of Escaflowne and craft from Vandread, for example. :)

I think that's more because both were going for a futuristic theme of the vehicles. I'm sadly unable to do a full-scale research on 90s and 00s anime, but I wouldn't be surprised if the falcon and the vyper sculpts either predate or originate at a roughly equivalent time with most series that have the same aesthetic. Older or more "classic" anime series such as Gundam or Macross have shapes that are pretty similar to what you'd see in the Tau codex.

I see the eldar visual theme as an agglomeration of various classical cultures (the older wraithlord and the wraithguard sculpt remind me of mesoamerican art, there's the greek helmets, the robes and masks, etc) and futuristic elements, being the "old lost race" in the future. While GW sculptors working on them probably had some asian influence - pop culture is notoriously cross-pollinated, and anime influences have been around since the 80s - I don't think it was their main theme the way it was when Tau were designed.

ORicK
10-04-2013, 10:10
Flyers are nice, but i REALLY like the rest.