PDA

View Full Version : How Many IG Boxes to Buy?

talthar
04-04-2013, 22:51
Over the next few months I'm going to start building a Cadian IG force and the logical place to start is the boxed regiment. My question is how many to get to start? Stick with one or would more be better at the get go?

My next question is where to go from there. Command, armor or both?

Ssilmath
04-04-2013, 22:57
Buy a codex, come up with a 1000 point army you would like to try and buy sufficient models to make that army. If you enjoy that, build up to 1500 points and play that for a while. But start with the codex and an army list first.

As you keep building, get new units or vehicles you want to try out. Try armor heavy, try infantry heavy, try a mix. Proxy the heck out of units before you buy them, even using cardboard cut outs if you have to. And remember, a Guard army is can never be complete, there is always room for one more squad or one more tank.

Makaber
04-04-2013, 23:02
If you're thinking about the Battleforce (Platoon command, 20 dudes, 3 weapon teams, a Sentinel), I'd probably get two right of the bat. That gives you a Company Command Squad, Platoon Command Squad, 3 Infantry Squads to fill out your Platoon, and 10 extra dudes you can convert into Veterans (for a total of 2 Troop choices). The weapon teams give you three Autocannons to throw in the infantry squads, and 3 Lascannons or something for a Heavy Weapon Squad. You'll probably be better off with two Sentinels rather than one, because the Imperial Guard thrives on redundancy, because of an average Ballistic Skill too low to rely on. Finally, you'll have enough dudes for a Special Weapon Squad, one equipped with Flamers sounds like a stellar idea in my book.

Where you decide to go from there is largely up to you, of course. I'm by no means an IG guru, but for me, the Guard is nothing without some armour, so I'd definitely get a Leman Russ. Mine has been absolute gold. A Chimera to ferry your Veterans around in would probably be neat as well.

talthar
04-04-2013, 23:33
I actually have the codex I just have to find it...

But the 1000 pt start seems to be the way to go. Still going to get at least two of the regiments but after that it depends on what works for me. I can definitely see going armor heavy though; fill all those heavy support slots!

Heafstaag
04-04-2013, 23:43
Why do most people start Cadian armies, and not Catachan armies? Catachans are better!

Anyways, two battle forces would be a great start, and possibly another heavy weapons squad after then. Then go for tanks or artillery.

Shnerg
04-04-2013, 23:56
Why do most people start Cadian armies, and not Catachan armies? Catachans are better!

Anyways, two battle forces would be a great start, and possibly another heavy weapons squad after then. Then go for tanks or artillery.

Coughcough Mordians are better cough cough. :shifty:

NemoSD
05-04-2013, 00:45
My recommended starter kit for Guard players serious about starting guard. IE you are not testing the water, but diving head first into it for the long haul:

3 Battleforces.

This gives you an amazing amount of bits and options, for a very good deal.

Next, do not use those models for your blobs of infantry. Use the 10 dollar snaptight guardsmen kits. They allow you to bulk up for forces REAL fast, and you don't need to customize them at all really. Use the dudes that come in the battleforce for special weapons, vets, build all of the various heavy weapons, and by the large bases, or substitute them. You will get far more out of the kits doing this.

My advice to start in a more reserved fashion:

1 Battle Force, use to build HWS, giving you 3x Lascannons, 3x Mortars, 3x Autocannons, 3x Missile Launchers. (Go for HB if you want, but I personally believe the AC is a better option...)--You will need to get extra large bases-- then you should have enough to give you a melta gun, a plasma gun, and a heavy flamer. ALl of our special weapons except for flamers and grenade launchers come on the command sprue. You will have 3 Grenade Launchers, and 3 Flamers though. Then you have the bits needed with the extra legs and torsos from the infantry to build a Commissar, CCS, PCS, 2-4 Sargent, and customize the troops to stand in your PCS, and CCS (DO this... often times they will get mixed together, and you will need to know who is an infantrymen and a PCS dude at a glance.) Also make a couple of vox dudes.

Then get 4-8 of the snap tight boxs, giving you 2-4 squads.

1-2 Sentinel Kits. A single sentinel is a dead sentinel, three sentinels is scary and useful, but not the best use of our FA. For best use, see the Infernal Puppy light tank line or our flyers.

A Heavy Support Vehicle of your choosing. Manticore, Arty, or Russ, got one and play with it, see how you like it.

Should also add: You will need to be creative to create stands for the LC/HB/AC as they use the same stands.

Colonel Myrymma
05-04-2013, 01:03
Go with the battleforce, giving you some slight savings in terms of money. From there you should decide how you would like to build the army, be it an armored cav unit, penal legion, etc etc. Unfortunatly gone are the days of super cheap Imperial guard infantry so I'd look on ebay for deals. I personally love Guard for their flexability and wide open codex.

talthar
05-04-2013, 01:03

I have never liked the Catachan models. Always thought the whole Rambo look was...well, sorta dumb. But to each his own.

And the Vestroyans look even worse.

dooms33ker
05-04-2013, 07:56
I have never liked the Catachan models. Always thought the whole Rambo look was...well, sorta dumb. But to each his own.

And the Vestroyans look even worse.

If using just the models with the face masks, vostroyans look a hell-of-a-lot like Helgast from the Killzone video game series, and that's alright in my book.

Also, this link to the cadian battleforce makes me sad :(

https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1080069

jason_sation
05-04-2013, 10:40
If using just the models with the face masks, vostroyans look a hell-of-a-lot like Helgast from the Killzone video game series, and that's alright in my book.

Also, this link to the cadian battleforce makes me sad :(

https://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1080069

Remember when it also came with that sprue of a ruined building as well? :(

Zustiur
05-04-2013, 14:37
Agreed. Partly because their muscles are bigger than space marine armour. Partly because the human body doesn't have join lines like that. And partly because imperial guardsmen wear flak armour. A tank top is not flak armour.
I won't say they're the ugliest miniatures ever, but they're definitely bad. (in my eyes)

childsoldier
05-04-2013, 14:52
God, I wasn't sure what was coming from that link, but I have a massive sad now as well. Should've bought three of those when I had the chance. I'd forgotten they came with the ruins as well.

In reply to the actual thread, you've gotten some pretty good advice so far, the best being start with a list in mind (although I personally went for 750pts first, as that's how all our gaming group did), play a few games with that list, then make a new one of 1,000pts that keeps the elements you like and add some of the more flashy units that'll have been catching your eye! Not sure if you've played before, but if you haven't then the few 750pts games will help you pick up the rules without the game lasting for ages, which can happen at the start.

As for infantry/mech/armour heavy, my vote is for infantry all the way!

Retrospectus
05-04-2013, 14:55
And partly because imperial guardsmen wear flak armour. A tank top is not flak armour.

a catachans badassery counts as flak armour! but yeah the models are ugly as hell. I bought one box so I could customize the rest of my guys. they mix pretty well with cadian bits

Dwarf Longbeard
05-04-2013, 16:06
If it helps when I was starting to build my Imperial Guard army I took a look at the sprues in the battleforce and made a list of what was on them in regards to weapons bodies and parts, from there I took a guess at getting three battleforce boxes and wrote up a list equipping the army with stuff from the list.
From three battleforce boxes I was able to create an army with a Command Squad with heavy weapon team
Platoon Command
2 Infantry Squads
Infantry squad with heavy weapon team
Converted Commissar
Special Weapon Squad
2 Heavy Weapon Squads
2 Veteran Squads (1 with a heavy weapon)

For three boxes worth of stuff it's given me a strong core for my 3000 point army, I also threw in a squad of Catachans to use as a Penal squad.
Whilst its quite expensive I think the Imperial Armour Imperial Guard book is really good it gives a lot of background and options for using tanks

Hope that helps :)

Chem-Dog
05-04-2013, 23:35
With the IG plastics it does pay to do as Dwarf Longbeard says and get really careful about how you want to equip your units and where you're going to get the appropriate gear from as the Infantry squad gives you very little in the way of options (a choice of two of the four standard Special weapons and a Sergeant) and everything else has to be provided from spares from the command sprues (which provide just one of everything that's not a heavy weapon) or the heavy Weapon Squad box (which only supplies Heavy Weapons) so multiples of special stuff are going to be hard to acquire without that sort of preparation.

Building an IG army using Cadians from scratch I would buy one Battleforce and five additional Command squad boxes (only a couple of quid dearer than the battleforce box). This would provide enough bodies (56) for two minimum sized platoons and a Company Command Squad - your bare minimum FOC obligations with enough exotic gear to make all but he most extreme builds easily achieved AND add some real character to your units.

Sircyn
06-04-2013, 00:07
If you want a LOT of plasma or melta guns, Forge World can sort you out. I've used the GW bits packs in the past too. Either option saves cash buying multiple command sprues or scrimping on decent upgrades for want of the models! Or try your hand at green stuff casting if you have time and greenstuff on your hands.

As for what boxes to pick up it depends on what type of army you want to run. Whether you go mech (needs chimera boxes and special weapon sprues), air cavalry (valkyrie boxes and special weapons) or infantry heavy (probably extra battle forces or sucking up the cost and buying cadian infantry boxes) two of the battle forces to begin with will see you off to a good start. I'd look into getting hold of extra melta and plasma guns, as having appropriate special weapons will really help you out in smaller games and set you in good stead for expansion. Being stuck with a lot of flamers and grenade launchers sucks. As others have mentioned, with extra cadians and large bases you can make the most of your heavy weapons sprues, without any conversion you can make the missile, mortar and one of the remaining two options from the sprue. ( I don't count heavy bolters..) I like Armoured Sentinels with Autocannons. Cheap, can be a combat tarpit and don't evaporate instantly to enemy fire if you stick to slinking around in cover at range. They will probably get dropped as your collection grows, but that load out doesn't leave me feeling I've got wasted models that are useless on the field (I'm looking at you plasma cannon sponsons).

You can flavour things with support vehicles to your taste, depending on what firepower needs your army as a whole/theme you want to achieve.

talthar
06-04-2013, 03:42
I've been watching battle reports with the IG to see what other people are using and how it works for them and there definitely seems to be an abundance of plasma weapons. As others have suggested I need to play some games, see what works and (more importantly IMHO) what I like to play and build my force based on that.

I was checking the Forge World site and they had some very cool stuff. No Tallarn infantry, sadly enough. Does anyone out there use their infantry?

TheDungen
06-04-2013, 06:46

because while cadians are a bit dated at this point the catachans are nearly ten years older?

Chem-Dog
06-04-2013, 18:42
Either option saves cash buying multiple command sprues or scrimping on decent upgrades for want of the models!

FW stuff is pretty good, I particularly like the Elysian weapon pack for flexibility but it has to be said the Legion Weapon sets are almost peerless for filling up on one particular weapon type. Still I'd pick multiple Command Squads over those if I were building an army from the ground up. It's a matter of their being a treasure trove of alternative torsos and heads, arm sets and other pieces that allow you to add character to your army rather than just filling desired equipment criteria.
An IG army becomes that much more interesting when Sarge #3 is actually SGT Brasker, merrily chomping on a cigar or SGT Holk, fighting on despite serious injuries to his face and arm or when it's led by Colonel Frais whose enthusiasm in close quarters engagement saw him slay the arch heretic Blaragagathax with his swagger stick.