PDA

View Full Version : First try with Wood Elves! 1.5k.

SimaoSegunda
05-04-2013, 00:42
Hi All!

I'm normally a totally devoted Greenskin player. However, I fancy trying something very different, so for the sake of variety, I want to try a Wood Elf army.

I don't have the models to field all the options that I want. I know I need a Treeman, and some Treekin. However, until I am able to get them, I want to learn how the rest of the army works. Below is my first attempt at a list.

Lords

Spellweaver - Level 4 (Lore of Life), Wand of Wych Elm, Talisman of Preservation

Heroes

Noble - Hail of Doom Arrow

Noble - Starfire Arrows

Branchwraith - Cluster of Radiants, Annoyance of Netlings

Core

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

10 Dryads

20 Glade Guard - Full Command, Banner of Springtide

Special

5 Wild Riders - Musician

Rare

Great Eagle

5 Waywatchers

Basic battleplan is to avoid the enemy as much as possible, and try to destroy my opponent's small units. With no Treekin, Treemen, or Eternal Warriors, I can't really destroy them in combat, so it's going to be all about whittling the enemy units down, and trying to cause as many panic tests as I can. Getting Dwellers will help greatly with this. Dryads and Wild Riders can kill things, if I can get flank charges. I fully realise that this army will be very difficult to win with, but any helpful comments / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Orchid
05-04-2013, 02:03
You can probably drop the second Noble and Branchwraith. The lvl 4 should provide enough magic defense at 1500 points. Make the first noble a BSB and give him Asyendi's bane along with the Hail of Doom arrow.

Give the 20 Glade guard the Banner of Eternal Flame. Unless you know you're playing an armor heavy list, I'd drop the Waywatchers in favour of more glade guard. I run Waywaters myself, but they rarely do much unless i'm facing lots of knights. Most people would agree that Wild riders are not worth the points either, you can swap them for some Glade riders to use as re-directors. With an extra points you have I'd say get more Glade guard and another unit of 8 dryads if you can.

SimaoSegunda
05-04-2013, 12:27
Thanks for the tips!

The Waywatchers are also there to deal with Warmachines, since I believe I can deploy directly behind them, and then charge first turn, no?

I had considered the Bane, but I thought that with firing 3d6 shots, so on average 10-11, it seems risky to have misses inflicting S3 hits on an expensive and important model. Might be worth trying though. I definately see the benefits of the Flame banner, thanks!

I take your point about the Wild Riders, but they seem more survivable than GR (by the way, do Talismanic Tattoos stack with Forest Spirit?), and also actually capable of doing some damage on the charge.

My most likely opponents are High Elves, Dwarfs, Vampire Counts, and Warriors of Chaos. And occasionally Brets.

Orchid
05-04-2013, 12:51
Well Glade guard scouts are cheaper than Waywatchers, but you won't be able to deploy as close, so your call. The reason I suggested Asyendi's bane is if you upgrade your noble to a BSB he loses his longbow. So in order for him to have one you have to buy a magical one, and Asyendi's bane is the only one cheap enough to allow you to also take the hail of doom arrow. I don't think you Bow's affect happens when you fire magical arrows anyways, so you don't have to worry about that.

I don't think the Wild rider tattoos stack with forest spirit, the only upside is if you're hit with a magical attack you'll get a 6+ ward instead of no ward save.

tmarichards
05-04-2013, 13:20
The level 4 doesn't need a ward save, if she's getting hit enough to need it chances are she'll die anyway. I'm also a big fan of Beasts instead of Life, unless you're playing with completely uncomped Dwellers at which point Life becomes a good lore again in my opinion. Either way, I'd suggest playing a few games with each to see which suits your metagame and playstyle better.

The 2nd Noble won't really add anything. Dropping him will give you the points to make the 1st Noble the BSB, and to then give him Asyendi's Bane. Not only does this not affect the HoDA, which can't be affected by any magical bows, but you're not obliged to re-roll with Asyendi's Bane, it's a choice.

At such low points levels, the Branchwraith won't really add very much but could instead get you another unit of Dryads.

The 10s of Glade Guard need musicians.

The Banner of Springtide looks nice on paper, but in reality is worthless. You'd be far better off swapping it out for the flaming banner.

You only really need 8 Dryads in a unit, you don't get much benefit from the extra 2.

Wild Riders aren't really very good, I'd swap them out for another eagle and some more Glade Guard.

I'd recommend you have a quick look through the WE FAQ, as it changes a few of the rules (for no apparent reason...). Among these are only being able to put the WE free forest in your deployment and, more relevant to this list, removes the rule about Waywatchers being able to Scout as close to the enemy as they like. If this was their main draw then consider dropping them, but I'm actually quite a big fan of Waywatchers as they cover some holes in WE infantry lists. If you do decide to drop them, I'd recommend spending the points on more Glade Guard, instead of GG Scouts because they are, unfortunately, awful.

SimaoSegunda
06-04-2013, 19:51
Ah, good call. I hadn't spotted the Waywatcher Nerf. I am still keen to use them however (especially at the moment, as I haven't got any Treemen, Treekin, and only one each of an eagle and a dryad unit), but I'm curious as to what gaps they do actually fill?

I'm thinking of splitting my army up, deploying it almost entirely on the flanks, so I doubt I'd get much traction from the BSB. If I can make my opponent split his army up a bit, I might get some use from the Starfire Arrows. The "splitting the army up" plan also means needing to take out enemy Chaff / Redirectors quickly, hence the Wild Riders.

An alternate plan was to drop the Starfires, and take the Crown of Command, and keep the Dryads close to make a flank charge on any unit that gets into the bigger GG unit.

tmarichards
07-04-2013, 00:37
Making your opponent split their army up does sound nice in theory, but there are a couple of things to bear in mind- the first is that it means you have to split your own army up, which greatly reduces the effectiveness of you shooting as well as your general and BSB ranges. The second is that he still only has 1 shot at S3, it doesn't ignore armour or anything. So at best, assuming you're shooting one of the worst infantry units in the game, you've got a less than 50% chance to get them taking the panic test. As soon as you start factoring in something that's worth trying to force a panic test on, you're looking at better toughness and/or armour. He'll also be in a unit a lot of the time, so even if you're just trying to force a panic test on chaff the rest of the 10 Glade Guard he's with will likely do that anyway.

If you somehow ended up with a model with no Talisman, 25pts left of magic items and couldn't take anything else at all for whatever reason, then I think it would be something you could consider but as it stands, I think it's just far too situational to buy a Noble to carry. Instead, you could just take 10 more Glade Guard which will be much more consistent.

The Stubborn Crown is a nice idea, but I'm not sure how effective it will be. For a start, it means you have to either buy a character just to carry it or you have to run without HoDA, Arcane Bodkins or Moonstone which I would all say are much more important than the CoC. Secondly, if you do get tagged by something nasty enough for you to need it, chances are a flank charge with Dryads isn't going to do enough to save the unit. All in all, I think you'd be much better off just trying to avoid/limit combat instead of planning for it, especially as the Moonstone can be used to get you out of a nasty combat situation as well as draw the enemy into a trap.

cyberspite
07-04-2013, 21:30
You've got the basis of a decent list there, at 1500pts 40 glade guard will cause problems, I would say the waywatchers and wild riders are optional though and agree that the branchwraith and starfire noble may not be the best use of points, the latter in particular is just too many 'ifs' just to get a panic check.

There's not much I would add that hasn't already been said, except you may want to consider a noble on a stag if you keep the wildriders, or an eagle noble. Although the wildriders are never going to be great, a stag noble would add some punch and allow you to field them as a counter attack threat to finish off units weakened by your shooting. An eagle noble can be kitted out either offensively or defensively depending what you want him to do, and both become much more dangerous if using lore of beasts.

SimaoSegunda
07-04-2013, 23:53
Thanks for all your helpful comments, I appreciate it. Taking some of your points on board (and considering my limited pool of models) I've devised an updated list:

Core

10 Dryads

10 Glade Guard, Musician

10 Glade Guard, Musician

20 Glade Guard, Musician, Standard, Banner of Eternal Flame

Rare

8 Waywatchers

Great Eagle

Lords

Level 4 Spellweaver, Wand of Wytch Elm, Talisman of Preservation, Lore of Beasts

Heroes

Branchwraith, Cluster of Radiants, Annoyance of Netlings (Once I acquire the models, I will swap her for another Dryad unit)

BSB, Light Armour, Shield, Asyendi's Bane, Hail of Doom Arrow.