PDA

View Full Version : Dark elves 2400 pts.

Gharnukk
06-04-2013, 07:20
Greetings.

For a long time I have felt an urge to field a kind of "less is more" themed army
focused on the core units of the army. I'm pleased with it but not so sure about
the Supreme sorceress/Cauldron of blood. Think that they fit in like they are in
this list? And if you have used a similar list please feel free to share your experience.
And this in not a supposed to be a tournament winning list, just for fun. So have that
in mind before you bring the chainsaw. Thank you.

Here it is:

Dreadlord.
- Sea dragon cloak.
- Heavy armour.
- Soulrender .
- Dragonhelm.
- Crown of command.
- Pendant of khaeleth.
- Cold one.

Supreme Sorceress.
- Lvl 4 (Shadow)
- Sacrificial dagger.

Death Hag.
- BSB.
- Cauldron of blood.

40 Spearmen. (Sorceress goes here)
- Full command (Standard of Discipline).

18 Crossbowmen.
- Musician.
- Shields.

20 Corsairs.
- Full command.

10 Corsairs.
- Handbows.

10 Corsairs.
- Handbows.

9 Cold one Knights. (Dreadlord goes here)
- Full command.

War hydra.

War hydra.

Don Zeko
06-04-2013, 17:19
I'm not really sure I get what you're going for here. If it's not meant to be a tournament list, then why do you have double hydra and a pendant dreadlord? You can make the army work well without these things, which tend to be crutches that drive opponents crazy anyway. So I'd suggest dropping the dreadlord and the second hydra. Also, i've never been able to justify handbow corsairs, and in this configuration I still can't. Take units of 10 ccrossbowmen instead. Also, putting your stabby dagger in a combat block is just begging to get her killed. shrink those warriors down to about 15 or 16 models, then use the points from that, the dreadlord, and teh second hydra to buy a backup sorceress with a dispel scroll and some other combat unit: maybe more warrior, maybe black guard, maybe witch elves. Also, you need the sea serpent standard on those corsairs.

-Totenkopf-
06-04-2013, 17:30
I was thinking the same thing.. It looks like your average tourny style net list to me.. Dark elves have a lot of cool units that really need magic support so you can't really drop any mages but you can certainly drop the dread lord and hydra and put a few more of those good looking units on the table.. maybe add some chaff or shades?

Gharnukk
06-04-2013, 18:46
What I am going for is a list that I like. I know that the synergy is not optimal.
But I like Corsairs, I like the models and the fluff. The handbow units can be used
as redirectors, speedbumps, meatshields and whatnot. And the reason that I have
a Dreadlord and two Hydras is also because I like them. Hydras look great and are
great in the game. And thats why I dont have lots of special units. I wanted the points
to fit in some stuff that I love. But if you have suggestions for improvement I am all ears.

Knifeparty
06-04-2013, 19:08
I disagree with the synergy being not optimal. I run a very similar list as this and have for about 4 years with a roughly 80% win ratio.

I love this army, I think it will work exactly how you think it will and it dominates all phases of the game.

The differences in my list is that I take a lvl 1 metal sorcerer with dispel scroll and guiding eye with 18 crossbows. The lord I put on a Pegasus and make him the unkillable/stubborn combo. I run 2 more Cold One Knights to make the unit 6 wide and I put a Hydra Banner BSB master in the unit so the Cold One Knights hit like a tonne of Bricks. I also don't take corsairs, although I do like them.

That is a very maxed out version of the army though, Its for a competitive environment. I don't expect to win many friends with a list like this.

Gharnukk
06-04-2013, 21:10
What would you change to "make friends"?

Knifeparty
06-04-2013, 22:20
Well for starters you could stop raiding other people's countries, murdering their families and enslaving their women and children...but wheres the fun in that?

Seriously though, I think dropping shadow off the sorcerer is a start. Mindrazor is one hell of a spell. It synergies's really well with all the corsairs you have and then cauldron to buff them too. Take a different lore, I personally take death but that lore can ruin people's day too, so maybe dark magic would be cool.

In all honesty though apart from that I really don't think this list is to bad, it's definitely not optimized to the max. I think you'll have fun with it and others will too.

Gharnukk
07-04-2013, 06:29
Thank you. That's not too bad :)

Kain187
12-04-2013, 01:56
I run most of my dark elf lists with dark magic. There is not alot of hate on it and it puts in a ton of damage. You definitely have a cheese themed list. In a friendly game i would never run the stubborn unkillable lord on peg. I do not even do it in a tourney environment.

Gharnukk
12-04-2013, 11:03
We use the same comp system in our friendly games as in tournaments. So basically we see the same lists in both enviroments.
I could change the list. But in that case just the items on the Dreadlord, not going to drop him. And then one Hydra in favour for
something else.

Bigman
12-04-2013, 12:40
I think most people have been confused.

They read your opening comments and looked on to see a fluffy dark elf list, and instead saw the majority of the stronger net list that's been going around for a few years.

Rule 1. If you like the models, use them. That's always my number one rule with armies.

it is the pendant+crown dreadlord / shadow lvl4 sacrificial dagger / twin hydras that most people think is (rightly) cheesy. Most tournament comps prevent those three things happening in a single list I believe.

Thins you could do, some of which you just mentioned:-

Delete the crown of command off the dreadlord.
Change the dreadlord to a master, (not as cheesy as pendant lord)
Not take shadow on lvl 4.
Not take sacrificial dagger

As for 2 hydras...I wouldn't mind that actually.

The point is as I said. People were reading your comments and expecting fluffy, and try got basically net list with a little fluff (handbow corsairs).

What you need to do is decide whether you want to have a huge win - loss ratio, or lose a few more but not cheese opponents. If this was a tournie I would say keep list as is. For friendly games, maybe tone it a little as I mentioned above.

Bigman
12-04-2013, 13:08
[Regards the cauldron...it's a great bsb but maybe a master on cold one bsb would fit better.

Gharnukk
12-04-2013, 13:10
Allrighty :) All fair inputs. I will change the list and see what I can do with it.
After all, aren't all Dark elves out there to make friends ;) And regarding the
Cauldron, it's not just a BSB, it provides buffs too.

Bigman
12-04-2013, 15:21
Allrighty :) All fair inputs. I will change the list and see what I can do with it.
After all, aren't all Dark elves out there to make friends ;) And regarding the
Cauldron, it's not just a BSB, it provides buffs too.

Indeed! That's what I was saying, its a fantastic model and bsb...however if you wanted more story driven, a dreadlord and his bsb banner man would fit better is what I was saying.

But by all means keep the cauldron, it does great things

Gharnukk
12-04-2013, 19:59
It is kind om misplaced, the cauldron. I could pop in a Master BSB and increase the size
of the unit so that it gets six wide. Could be cool. And then add a supporting sorceress.

Bigman
12-04-2013, 20:06
It is kind om misplaced, the cauldron. I could pop in a Master BSB and increase the size
of the unit so that it gets six wide. Could be cool. And then add a supporting sorceress.

Cheesy as it is, a level 1 metal / death isn't s bad investment. Bsb could be lanced and ward save given and he's done.

Bigman
12-04-2013, 20:07
And both of those fits nicely to theme.

Gharnukk
12-04-2013, 20:48
What about Dark magic on the lvl 1? And I'm not sure on the BSB build.
To just have a good save or a ward...

Bigman
13-04-2013, 08:27
What about Dark magic on the lvl 1? And I'm not sure on the BSB build.
To just have a good save or a ward...

Well mounted he will have a good save and ward. You could give him something Killy but I was simply going for cheap ish to fit him into points.

Lvl 1 dark magic is good. It will definitely throw your opponents off!

Gharnukk
13-04-2013, 09:37
I dont remember what I was thinking for
the BSB. Probably Great weapon, heavy
armour, sea dragon cloak and dragonbane
gem. But that won't give him a reliable ward.

Bigman
13-04-2013, 10:07
A reliable ward no, but 30 points - 5+ ward talisman... Or armour of fortune 35 points..heavy armour and 5+ ward.

Gharnukk
13-04-2013, 12:19
I have to shave some points off for that.

Gharnukk
13-04-2013, 20:42
Made this list after work today. Pretty quick so migh have messed up with something (Have been at work for 13 hours).

Dreadlord. (Goes with cold one knights)
- Sea dragon cloak
- Heavy armour
- Soulrender
- Dragonhelm
- Crown of command
- Pendant of khaeleth
- Cold one

Supreme Sorceress. (Goes with crossbowmen #1)
- Lvl 4 (Shadow)
- Sacrificial dagger.

Master. (Goes with cold one knights)
- BSB.
- Great weapon.
- Heavy armour.
- Sea dragon cloak.
- Talisman of endurance.
- Cold one.

Sorceress. Goes with Crossbowmen #2)
- Lvl 1 (Dark magic)
- Dispel scroll.

40 Spearmen.
- Full command.

20 Corsairs.
- Full command.
- Sea serpent standard.

20 Crossbowmen.
- Repeater crossbows.
- Musician.
- Shields.

20 Crossbowmen.
- Repeater crossbows.
- Musician.
- Shields.

10 Cold one Knights.
- Full command.
- Standard of Hag grief.

War hydra.

Total: 2395

Bigman
13-04-2013, 22:05
Now that is a themed list!

What you need to remember is that DE as a book is powerful as it is a 7th edition book in 8th. Infantry was cheaper in 7th, due to the edition differences. I think that list is powerful but themed and you will have a lot if good times playing with it.

Game to game you can do different things. So if you're playing a newbie, take a different lore on lvl4, or switch gear around a bit on The Lord.

But as a list it's a good ons and certainly not power gamer at all.

Kain187
15-04-2013, 04:14
I would drop the stubborn crown and make your caster a lev 2. Other than that looks like a fun list to play and to play against.

Gharnukk
18-04-2013, 11:07
Since I had five spare points. I added the Ironcurse icon to the Cold one knights.
That 6+ Ward might save a knight, for just five points.

Gharnukk
20-04-2013, 15:05
Over at Druchii they worry about my lack of flyers, light mobile units and scouts or even fast cavalry.
Risking being outmaneuvered. What to you guys think about that?

Kain187
20-04-2013, 20:54
I dont ever build a DE list without 2 units of dark riders. When you first start playing with them they feel overly expensive but when you get good at using them they become awesome and alot of times end the game with 1-2 in the unit saving the points. I run them with bows and a musician.